Cheep A@@ mother of the bride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think that she is looking for something out of the box like chr's arrangement or do you think she is looking to fill the space in the country club????

That is the 64 thousand dollar question....

LOL I think she would like to fill the C.C but she knows that is not what she will get!!! what can you get for 32.00 I think maybe a rose bowl!! LOL I think I will look like this by July 12th:icon15

I would definitely do a sample vase and be prepared to have her want to see variations on that until she gets the look she will settle for. You could possibly do one stem of white lily, bear grass and fill to value with roses, 2 or 3? You could work it to look larger but it would be airy, possibly add a couple of pieces of curly willow, especially if you have a tree you can glean from. A light and airy arrangement done directly in the vase should work without the worry of them falling over, balance would be important. It's doable if the MOB is willing to settle for less.

Sounds Familiar

We just had this same type of issue for a large Hospital Graduation party, they always rent the vases and have about $35 for centerpiece, but the changed the venue so the pieces had to be tall, so we took the eiffel tower vase, taped a grid, used 5 dendro orchids and curly willow, sprinkled some blooms on the table and called it a day. We got the orchids thru flower buyer at .75 each, so (60.00 for 80 stems) and the curly willow was $16.95 for one bunch. Maybe that will work for your party, it certainly has the upscale look since it is the orchid.....Hope it helps...

I would tell her you would be happy to work within her budget but the tower vases would be out of her reach.Make sure to get a security deposit on the risers write it in to the contract.I would also charge her going forward for any samples and would highly suggest to her that she have a sample done especially if she insists on risers at this price point.Sounds like she has already taken at least four hours of your time between consult and paperwork recipies.. aprox 160.00-240.00 depending on what you count your time at this leaves 560-640 I know your excited about getting into the CC but never give anything away especially labour.Good Luck hope it works out to be profitable for you in the end remember just because it is booked does not mean you can not upsell it I would hammer the hell out of this mob sell sell sell every time you talk to her.Good Luck

My biggest concern with this whole deal is that she will tell others what she succeeded in getting you to do. Tracy... that's not a winning situation for you at all.

V

My biggest concern with this whole deal is that she will tell others what she succeeded in getting you to do. Tracy... that's not a winning situation for you at all.

V

I agree. I'm kinda pissed at this lady on your behalf flowerlady. It just makes me mad when people take advantage like that. Well anyway I like the prototype idea so she can see but it seems like these darn $27 arrangements are more work than they're worth already!

Well my plan is THAT it will be little time and not a lot of effort. It will be fine, I just wanted to see what great ideas you all had, I can feed from that. I think I will make a couple of proto types and let her see what a little more cash can do.. I am a shaker and a mover I like a challenge. I guess thats why I said yes(or I am a fool!):boggles:

You are much too generous!

I would have told her, "Here are my suggestions of where you can eliminate in order to stay within your budget." First place to cut would be those centerpieces! They will not be the quality of design you are accustom to & they are probably not what she is truly envisioning. If it cannot be done right, don't do it at all! Instead concentrate on the Bridal Bouquet, girls bqts, Groom's Bout., and guys bouts.

By being frank and not compromising yourself, who knows, she may come up with a bigger budget!

By the way. How much is she spending on the food & drinks per person? Our rule of thumb is that a centerpiece should cost at the very least, the same as the meal! $75 per person = $75 centerpiece per table.

Reactions: 1 person
Sometimes, I've gotten hydrangeas for as low as $.85 stem on flowerbuyer. they are large & showy & you could use 1 at base, a few orchid stems & a few roses with some grasses & mix of greens. You have enough money & you rented the vases to her. You can still make money. I rent out some 24" vases, teardrop shape w/river rocks & 3 mini callas inside at different heights & willow coming out the top of the vase for $29.99 incl. rental. It is a very elegant look & not much cost in it & very easy to make. River rocks & willow can be reused. Goodluck!

Remember your goal of appealing to higher end brides! Don't "cheapen" your style and quality for this MOB. Those towers are a visual ad for your business. Unless you are TOTALLY satisfied with the centerpiece's appearance and it's representation of you and your work....DON'T do it!

Remember your goal, girl....remember your goal!

I do this type of jobs in the beginning because I HAD to pay the rent. Now 15 months into the business, I'm more mindful about realistic budgets (educating clients about setting a realistic budget that matches their vision of the wedding flowers).

About 5 times in the past few months, when dealing with limited budgets that leaves the centerpieces less than $65 (our minimum center pc price), I encourage them to spend the $$ on the flowers to wear because most photo are taken w/those pieces, and also a couple of focal floral pcs for the events, like the entrance, gift table, etc. So far, every bride has taken the suggestion and liked my attitude and ability to work with them in their budget. Ofcourse, I always make sure I have one affordable center piece and one stunning center piece at the entrance of my shop during their visit, so if they decide to increase their budget after seeing it, all the better! I just booked a wedding with 35+tables, $175 each center piece, using the above method, yeh!

OMG thanks you. I was staring to think I might have to call her up and give her dept. back..
I all ready have the towers so I have to concentrate on the flowers I can get for the price and still make money. I was hoping you all have great ideas to help me with this.. I know I know I am a fool.. but it's ok!:purpletea

I wonder why you said that...it's a "sale", and your customer has drawn a line in the sand!!
Of course "NONE" of us would do such table pieces (none would admit it), but,it IS doable, and the budget IS set, so "GIT 'ER DONE"!!

well I already said I would do it. I was thinking some lilly grass and a couple of red roses and some hanging amaranthus!!

From my calculations, you can't make money off of that design. I would say get out now!!
Tell her she can either pay more money and get what she wants, or let you design her Eiffels. Use areca palm and steel grass with 1 red rose. That way you'll turn a profit.

To me, this MOB is troube....

Try this idea on for size.........hand-tied bouquet - Phoenix style design - 3-5 stems white larkspur, 1/4 bunch bear grass, 3 to 4 stems white alstroemeria to make the base weight, tie-off and drop into the eiffel.

The larkspur to give you the height, the bear grass to give you the volume, and the alstro to cover the base.

Made in advance, drop into the vase, - If color is needed, simply add food color to the water to match to brides colors.

You are much too generous!

I would have told her, "Here are my suggestions of where you can eliminate in order to stay within your budget." First place to cut would be those centerpieces! They will not be the quality of design you are accustom to & they are probably not what she is truly envisioning. If it cannot be done right, don't do it at all! Instead concentrate on the Bridal Bouquet, girls bqts, Groom's Bout., and guys bouts.

By being frank and not compromising yourself, who knows, she may come up with a bigger budget!

By the way. How much is she spending on the food & drinks per person? Our rule of thumb is that a centerpiece should cost at the very least, the same as the meal! $75 per person = $75 centerpiece per table.

My original center pc quote was 110.00!! I guess that was to much!!LOL

Try this idea on for size.........hand-tied bouquet - Phoenix style design - 3-5 stems white larkspur, 1/4 bunch bear grass, 3 to 4 stems white alstroemeria to make the base weight, tie-off and drop into the eiffel.

The larkspur to give you the height, the bear grass to give you the volume, and the alstro to cover the base.

Made in advance, drop into the vase, - If color is needed, simply add food color to the water to match to brides colors.

This is a nice idea.....I can just see it...You can even fit this into your budget without a problem and easy to make...

My original center pc quote was 110.00!! I guess that was to much!!LOL

You & her need to find somewhere in the middle to meet...not all the way down at her price...what does she think this is, an auction?

My fear is that she will tell all her fancy schmancy friends and they will all be coming to you for $27 centerpieces. You are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I know your mind is made up to do them at this price (by the tenor of your posts), but remember, if you can't make money at it, why do it?!?!?!?

I still vote for showing her a $27 sample, a $47 sample and a $77 sample...she could always do 1/2 & 1/2 to stretch the budget. I'll bet the country club isn't giving her filet for the price of fried chicken just becasue that's what she wants to pay.

Thanks amy! I think I have changed her mind a little I will be doing only 7 towers and the other 8 will be 8 inch cubes with floating candles(still the same money but less work for me.. so I believe I have cut my time in half..Shes paying the same for the cubes but you and I know it's way less work. so I think it will all even out. I plan on putting 3 steams of dendros, 2 roses and lily grass in the towers. about 5.50 cost I think it will be fine. I would not send anything out looking cheep.. Lets just say simply stated!! as far as the cubes. I will put a nice floating candle and a couple of dendro blooms floating and sit my square voties with it and it will look like a millionlol!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.