Corsages and Bouts $

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use pan glue am I the only one doing that? I don't care for Oasis glue it turns into a sticky mess for me am I doing something wrong?

In a nutshell - if you are using pan glue to glue FRESH FLOWERS AND FOLIAGES.....Yes, You are doing something wrong.

You can use pan glue for any and all non-floral material.

The best technique I have found for using Oasis Glue is to either pour from the can or squeeze from the tube onto a small square of plastic or cardboard and dip the floral materials into the glue and then place into the spot you want the flower to be. Also, Oasis glue needs to be tacky to hold best.....so after you dip the flower.....let the glue dry for about ten/fifteen seconds before you stick the flower where you want it. Now, Oasis glue needs to stick to itself to hold as well, so, I gently and repeatedly move the flower up and down a bit to make sure the glue is not only on the flower, but also on the surface you are glueing to.

Pan glue will not only damage the flower, but it does not hold well.

Now, If you use Crowning Glory/Chrysal Glory/Finishing Touch on your corsages......spray the corsage when COMPLETED. I once made the mistake of dipping the entire flower into Crowning Glory to coat and preserve the bloom.....and the clear cloating left behind prevents any glue from adhering and I discovered this almost too late........I had to remake a ton of corsages.

Fitz Design

The new Fitz Design catalog is out in the florist review. We have lots and lots of ideas on how to help make proms even more profitable. Prom season is our bussiest time of the year and we are getting a lot of compliments about this years collections.

We used to use the oasis glue (can with the plastic bottle attached)... but we were going thru those things like crazy in prom season. Most of the designers pour a little puddle and dip the flowers into the glue, but the majority of it got wasted b/c it would dry up, especially if they were doing other tasks in between. It wasn't the glue we used, but the glue we wasted. If they use the bottle sometimes that is worse. If they don't let a little "booger" of glue dry up on the tip of the bottle, then the entire bottle can dry up. Keep a close eye on the waste with the oasis glue.

About a year ago I bought about 6 mini (4") glue pots and we use those. We've had at least 60 weddings and probably 1000+ corsage orders since then. We have had no problems, and we have saved a ton of money since we switched. I bet at least $300/year. It's much faster and quicker with the mini glue pan vs. a larger glue pan. Less space in between each dip.

Reactions: StephKey
snap bracelets actually are very sturdy, got them in last year in mostly hot pink and black, they have a ribbon to tie corsage on if you like but you could also glue think I did a combo, tied it on with the thin ribbon then glued finishing touches, they are very cute but adds about 10.00 minimally to your price.

Again, the only problem I could foresee with using any kind of hot glue.....from either a large glue pan or the mini pots like Heather mentioned is the simple fact that hot glues are not made to hold fresh flowers and greens. You are running a a risk of the flowers popping off the corsage.

If one of the glue manufacturers came up with a glue formula that kept the glue warm, and worked on fresh flowers without burning or damaging the stem, calyx, corolla, or any part of the flower or spring of greenery.....then I would say go for it.

However, the Smither's adhesive is THE ONLY GLUE ON THE MARKET currently that is made specifically to work for FRESH FLOWERS AND FOLIAGES.

The technique that I use with the tubed Oasis glue is easy.
Just don't set the tube down on the table.
I use a very small, cheap vase to keep the tube upright at all times.
I've seen other designers insert the tube into a piece of dry foam.
Plus, I keep the nozzle clean by wiping it as soon as it starts to get yucky.

It wastes glue to make a puddle and dip. The glue solidifies quckly.

I never use pan glue on fresh flowers. Afraid it will burn them.
I know the floral adhensive does not.
I've been know to be tired and forget to put the last corasage or two in the cooler at night, after drying from Crowning Glory. When I've come in in the morning, they look as good as newly done.

Took a quick pic of one of my corsages yesterday...Never like how they look in pictures, but now I can fit the bands on my wrist so I took it that way....This one was 35.00

Attachments

• wristie.jpg
    wristie.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 65
  • wrist corsage.jpg
    wrist corsage.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 64
I was going to ask if there was a problem dipping flowers in the small glue pan, one shop I worked at years ago did that method however the flowers came loose. It seemed that the glue did not hold once removed from cooler and some of the flowers came off. I was only wiring flowers at that time, I did not like the glue idea however now I rarely wire anything but use the small amount at a time of glue to dip and apply directly. I only put enough glue on the cardboard to do a few blooms at a time and that squeeze more from the tube. I have very little waste with that.

Lori,
Thanks for the photo of your corsage. I like the embeleshments and the wire, but most of all, I like the Fitz Bracelet, especially since I am the owner of Fitz Design.

Thanks again!!

Keep sharing those ideas - I love to see them.

I am truly addicted to this category!

Reactions: ivygreen
Again, the only problem I could foresee with using any kind of hot glue.....from either a large glue pan or the mini pots like Heather mentioned is the simple fact that hot glues are not made to hold fresh flowers and greens. You are running a a risk of the flowers popping off the corsage.

If one of the glue manufacturers came up with a glue formula that kept the glue warm, and worked on fresh flowers without burning or damaging the stem, calyx, corolla, or any part of the flower or spring of greenery.....then I would say go for it.

However, the Smither's adhesive is THE ONLY GLUE ON THE MARKET currently that is made specifically to work for FRESH FLOWERS AND FOLIAGES.

Hot glue can be used if the temp is kept low enough, risky though if not done right...I to have ahd disasters with hot glue and popping flowers...never have that problem with the oasis glue...I use the very bottom of a plastic cup, little bits of glue at a time...the amount of glue wasted is negligable compaed to the time wasted on wiring and taping...

Heather I am glad you don't have problems with the pan glue, do you monitor the temp or do something special to insure good adhesion?? Always willing to learn a new trick...I can see if you have several people doing corsages inbetween tasks how the loss of glue in high volume could be a huge expense, especially when most workers may not get that part or their job...they think it is just a small puddle no biggy, but 10 designers all throwing out a small puddle ends up being a whole tube of shrink...

Lori,
Thanks for the photo of your corsage. I like the embeleshments and the wire, but most of all, I like the Fitz Bracelet, especially since I am the owner of Fitz Design.

Thanks again!!

Keep sharing those ideas - I love to see them.

I am truly addicted to this category!

I have loved the fitz bracelets for as long as they have been out, but for my shop they just caught on 2 years ago...I did a few for friends kids at no extra charge (but let them know that they were getting a discount) The kids loved them and now 90% of the work I do has one of these, they fit the smallest girls so much better than the lady flair wristlets and give them that dressed up look they are all looking for...

I am also starting to se the few brides I have interested in the jewels and buckles, and the rhinestone bouquet handle bracelets that look like they have been discontinued...

Love the new guide in the Florist's review mag, it when directly on my consult table, I will be using it to sell to the kids for prom...I will at some point also be getting the mixed selling tools you offer, Gret job on giving us the proper tools to sell your products, it helps us and helps you at the same time...

Hot glue can be used if the temp is kept low enough, risky though if not done right...I to have ahd disasters with hot glue and popping flowers...never have that problem with the oasis glue...I use the very bottom of a plastic cup, little bits of glue at a time...the amount of glue wasted is negligable compaed to the time wasted on wiring and taping...

Heather I am glad you don't have problems with the pan glue, do you monitor the temp or do something special to insure good adhesion?? Always willing to learn a new trick...I can see if you have several people doing corsages inbetween tasks how the loss of glue in high volume could be a huge expense, especially when most workers may not get that part or their job...they think it is just a small puddle no biggy, but 10 designers all throwing out a small puddle ends up being a whole tube of shrink...

The smaller glue plans don't have adjustable temps, so it is always low. I never thought about the temperature being a factor, but maybe that is why we have no problems with the flowers staying in place. Could be a hot temperature problem. We only use the larger glue pots for bigger things, like wreaths or glueing foam onto a lomey dish, not glueing fresh flowers.

Lori,
You make my day!!!

When I first designed the catalog, I designed it for just how you described it - so that you can use it as a selection guide.

Thank you so much for the compliments about the materials we provide - it really is our goal to help florists succeed in this area which can be very profitable.

I am glad you are seeing success after you took the time to "plant the seed"

On the website under support/marketing we have put some really neat ideas on helping to increase sales and profits for the prom season.

I would also be happy to share these ideas in more depth with you any time you want to give us a call.

We have become an excellent place to share ideas from all around the country, so feel to borrow some from us and share some of your successes at the same time.

We also have a place on the website where you can send us your design to see about having it posted on our website.

Here is a quick example of one of our strategies -
Have the prom magazines in your shop - they are a great tool that can tell you a lot about your young lady.

When they come into the shop, give them the prom magazines and ask them to find both their dress and the color of their dress for you.

Here is the extra special point - when the girl shows you her prom dress, she just told you her budget - for example if she has picked out a $400 dress, I would suggest starting her corsage order at a higher price point than normal.

And the reverse is also true - if she picked out the $150 dress, you may want to start with them at a more basic corsage.

Two other quick tips - did you see what kind of a car they drove in? are they paying with Mom or Dad's credit card? Good signs that give you a hint at what their budget is.

Thanks for your comments and please keep sharing.

Heather, What brand of miniature glue pot and glues do you use? I do want to give your hot glue technique a try. It is always a great idea to add ideas and new tricks to our repetoire as professional floral designers.

Lori,
You make my day!!!

When I first designed the catalog, I designed it for just how you described it - so that you can use it as a selection guide.

Thank you so much for the compliments about the materials we provide - it really is our goal to help florists succeed in this area which can be very profitable.

I am glad you are seeing success after you took the time to "plant the seed"

On the website under support/marketing we have put some really neat ideas on helping to increase sales and profits for the prom season.

I would also be happy to share these ideas in more depth with you any time you want to give us a call.

We have become an excellent place to share ideas from all around the country, so feel to borrow some from us and share some of your successes at the same time.

We also have a place on the website where you can send us your design to see about having it posted on our website.

Here is a quick example of one of our strategies -
Have the prom magazines in your shop - they are a great tool that can tell you a lot about your young lady.

When they come into the shop, give them the prom magazines and ask them to find both their dress and the color of their dress for you.

Here is the extra special point - when the girl shows you her prom dress, she just told you her budget - for example if she has picked out a $400 dress, I would suggest starting her corsage order at a higher price point than normal.

And the reverse is also true - if she picked out the $150 dress, you may want to start with them at a more basic corsage.

Two other quick tips - did you see what kind of a car they drove in? are they paying with Mom or Dad's credit card? Good signs that give you a hint at what their budget is.

Thanks for your comments and please keep sharing.

These are all really great tips. It is some of the same ways we sell to brides..It is hard when the boys and girls come in separate..We never did this when I was in High school, the girl always told the boy what was to be gotten the color the specifics, we went as far as telling him silver or gold accesories etc...My high school was dubbed hollywood high because we were very fashionable and followed a very couture protocol...

Today we are luck if the boys come in with a dress color never mind the gown name, maker and what color accessories...but I try to get the most info I can, I even try to get the date names so I can match them up and make coordinating pieces...I think it is very important...I have seen many of my creations on the face book pages of my customers kids, it is very fun...

Reactions: Tracy D'Amico
We glue our wristlets, too. HUGE time saver!!! We offer spray roses for $20, dendro for $25 in wristlets. Bouts are roses $7.50, dendro $10
We only have one full time designer and one part time at prom season so we have found it is better for us to only offer a couple of choices. I have a display of the colored wristlets and ribbon, let the girls choose what they want. It worked really well last year.

I have to compliment you - you are right on track - Here is another tip that florists love - when the corsage is ready - send a TEXT message to the girl with a photo of your corsage, she will immediately send it out to all her friends. I hate to admit it, but if I want to get my girls attention it is done via TEXT messges.

We are also actively trying to take the boy out of the buying process. We know that the girl will always pick out nicer things and spend more money than the boy or the boys mom will. The girl truly understands that our items are KEEPSAKES and that makes them worth more.

One way we are seeing sales go up, is to include a special add on for the girls mom. A single long stem rose presented to the girls mom warms her heart and endears the mom to the boy.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm looking at your catalog right now Daniel, this will be my first time ordering from you- I did a few simple pearl bracelets last year- and some silver beaded ones-

what would you suggest for a first time display?

Reactions: Tracy D'Amico
Twiggy,
Thanks for your note.

The answer to your question first starts with a question from me. What type of income level is your average family.

Here are some basic notes -

If you want to be cautious, start with our beaded items - the Classic Collection is by far our best selling items. Best colors here are Ice, Sugar, Champagne and Pepper. Any of the beaded items are value priced.

I would recommend the Boutonniere Holders - we do very, very welll with these items and they are great for helping to raise your average order. The Calla Boutonniere holder is the hot one right now.

The next group of products for us is Rhinestones and unique items. In this grouping Rock Candy is by far our best. It is our second best selling item behind the Classic Collection. For color, Dazzle is always the best color, followed by Licorice (black) and Cinnamon (red) Some people prefer the Hard Rock.

After that, we go into costume jewelry, The hot items here are Jelly Bean and Pop Rock.

If you have a diverse income base of clients you might look at our Super Sellers Sample Pack on page 21. This is, as the name implies, is our best selling items. This includes the best items from every collection.

Does this help?

Please let me know if there are any other questions.

Our website is www.creationsbyfitzdesign.com and feel free to call me at the office at 800-500-2120. We are here to help.

Thanks

Love the Fitz bracelets - I was surprised to see them at our local Michaels Store, and especially disappointed to see the wholesale pricing listed on your website, when consumers have easy access to your site from Michaels. :(

just a thought, that you may not want that wholesale cost so "out there".

Do love the designs though!

Status
Not open for further replies.