Corsages and Bouts $

Status
Not open for further replies.
prom

"Just as a side note, our designer will be teaching classes at Baisch and Skinner on the 9th of April. We teach a number of designs and we also share ALL of marketing material and sales strategies. While everyone loves the designs, the marketing materials are extremely effective."

For those of us on the east coast are you doing any shows in the Boston area? If not, would you consider video taping it and posting it to this site if you can?

Last year we took PVC pipe and had a selection of FITZ designs on it and other bling and displayed it by the order area for the prom. We found that both the boys and girls liked to upscale look, and money was never an issue ( although this year it could be). We also like to keep a fresh corsage in the cooler to show the kids.

Cricket - thanks for the great ideas.

Right now we don't have anything scheduled for Boston. We are normally invited by our key wholesalers - our Dazzling Distributors - We would love to come and put on our program. The results are terrific and we are already booking our fall programs also.

I like your video idea - help me out a little bit - how would we post it on this site?

We have 2 components to our classes - new design techiques and marketing and sales strategies - most folks come for the design, but when they leave they are talking about how the marketing and sales strategies can help them in their shop.

I will be happy to look into this.

Also, some of our ideas are on our website under the support/marketing tab.

www.creationsbyfitzdesign.com

I love the idea about a corsage made up in the cooler for them to see - young people today are very visual and this really responds to them in their own arena. Great idea.

"Just as a side note, our designer will be teaching classes at Baisch and Skinner on the 9th of April. We teach a number of designs and we also share ALL of marketing material and sales strategies. While everyone loves the designs, the marketing materials are extremely effective."

For those of us on the east coast are you doing any shows in the Boston area? If not, would you consider video taping it and posting it to this site if you can?

Last year we took PVC pipe and had a selection of FITZ designs on it and other bling and displayed it by the order area for the prom. We found that both the boys and girls liked to upscale look, and money was never an issue ( although this year it could be). We also like to keep a fresh corsage in the cooler to show the kids.

what time at Baisch?

Joe,
I am not sure, we normally do 2 a day - 1 in the aftenoon and 1 in the evening, but the wholesaler creates the schedule. Our designer is in Texas today, I will check with him and/or Baisch and see what I can find out.

Thanks

I didn't read the whole thread...

But I too use pan glue for fresh flowers, the ONLY problem ever was with true sterling silver roses. The calyx is so waxy and then they shrink and fall out.

I learned the pan glue method when I was about 20 years old.

I think the problem is people don't use enough glue.

Pan glue is FAST. Dries really quickly.

I find the tube glue takes forever to dry.
It's quicker for me to tape and wire.

The tube glue I have is the lomey kind. Is there a big difference between the different tube glues?

Corsages and Bouts

I didn't see anyone mention corsage stems. I usually use them for rose bouts with oasis glue and tape.
I did a wedding yesterday and the bride wanted the groom to have the same flowers as in her bouquet which was roses,fringed tulips, and camelia leaves.
I've never used tulips for a boutonniere before so I decided to experiment a few days before the wedding to see how they would last.
I used the corsage stem with the rose as usual and then I used three of the fringed tulips around the rose by cutting the tulip at the top of the stem and inserting the rose in the center of the first tulip and then individually gluing each petal of the other two tulips to create a new flower.The fringed tulips worked really well but I don't think regular or double tulips would work.
I did a fresh one the morning of the wedding but the experiemental ones lasted for two days in and out of the cooler.
It's great to hear how everyone else does corsages and bouts.

Dianne

Attachments

• P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 39
Shannon,
Yes there is a huge difference in the glues that are out there. Let me split hairs with you a minute. I was an OASIS Rep for 9 years - your post says you are using the "Lomey" glue. I hope that is not true -

OASIS has 2 types of tube glue - a large tube that has LOMEY on it and OASIS Floral Adhesive - NEVER, NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER use the tube of glue that has LOMEY on it. It is for gluing plastic items together.

What you want is to make sure you have OASIS Floral Adhesive that comes in a box. The tube is printed in green ink.

Since I am talking about glue, here are some notes

Hot glue, when it is heated is really plastic that has been melted - if the pan melt has a yellow color to it - then the there really is some glue in it also. If it is white or clear, it is just melted plastic.

Many people like hot melt becuase it is easy and fast.

Here are the comments from those who have concerns with Hot Melt

It is 170 degrees when it is melted so you are subjecting your flowers to that amount of heat.
Since it is plastic it reacts to temprature - plastic shrinks when it get's cold and that is what causes it to pop off some times.

When it gets warm - it get's gooey and can loose it effectiveness.

Here are some positives about OASIS Floral Adhesive

It is not impacted by temprature
It holds very very well
humidity does not impact it
in the tube - small amounts can be used

Here are some of the negatives about the OASIS Floral Adhesive
It sticks to your fingers and some people get frustrated trying get it off
if you use the can their can be waste
if you use the can - more than is needed can be poured out

Hope this helps - just for the record - we teach with OASIS Floral Adhesive.

We understand each person has to do what works for them.

Good luck

Heather, What brand of miniature glue pot and glues do you use? I do want to give your hot glue technique a try. It is always a great idea to add ideas and new tricks to our repetoire as professional floral designers.

I can not recall the website I used to order these. When I get a chance I will look at my past CC statement. There is no name on them, but they are 4". The bottom says DUAL-TEMP GLUE POT, which makes no sense b/c there's no temp adjustment. Model GP-200 (120V 60HZ 40W).

The glue we use is the yellow color "pillow" shaped pellets. We buy one from our wholesaler (enormous case) every December and run out every December.

I too have used pan melt glue for my corsages for years. Melt at the lowest temp I can have.Need the flowers out of the cooler for awhile before you glue them I've found that helps. I learned this way over 25 years ago wasn't any other way back them. Alos use the yellow color pillows for my flowers.
I just hate the sticky mess that the tube glue creates. I feel like I'm stuck to everything I touch and have messed up some corsges because of it.

To echo what Mr. Fisher said about the types of glues.......LOOK AT YOUR GLUE TUBE SHANNON. IF IT SAYS 'LOMEY' ANYWHERE ON THE TUBE......STOP !!!!!!!!!

That glue is for glueing plastic to plastic...namely lomey trays to pedestals, tubes, etc.

The attached picture shows what the glue looks like you SHOULD be using.

Attachments

• OASISFloralAdhGrp.jpg
    OASISFloralAdhGrp.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 10
Took a quick pic of one of my corsages yesterday...Never like how they look in pictures, but now I can fit the bands on my wrist so I took it that way....This one was 35.00

Hey Lori, I love all the wire you used in your corsage pic. I seem to have trouble getting wire to stay put in mine. I do alright if it is just a simple, flat wire design...but when I try to add more wire or do a three dimensional look like in your pics...I have issues. Any tips on on wire work in a corsage?

Hey Lori, I love all the wire you used in your corsage pic. I seem to have trouble getting wire to stay put in mine. I do alright if it is just a simple, flat wire design...but when I try to add more wire or do a three dimensional look like in your pics...I have issues. Any tips on on wire work in a corsage?

When I use or create a 3D wire element in a corsage. Let's say for the sake of example that I need a small spiral coil of wire traversing the length of the corsage. I make the wire design/element....I pan-glue the element to the base of the corsage ..... then I proceed with the ribbon and fresh flower complement.

Shannon,
Yes there is a huge difference in the glues that are out there. Let me split hairs with you a minute. I was an OASIS Rep for 9 years - your post says you are using the "Lomey" glue. I hope that is not true -

OASIS has 2 types of tube glue - a large tube that has LOMEY on it and OASIS Floral Adhesive - NEVER, NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER use the tube of glue that has LOMEY on it. It is for gluing plastic items together.

What you want is to make sure you have OASIS Floral Adhesive that comes in a box. The tube is printed in green ink.

Since I am talking about glue, here are some notes

Hot glue, when it is heated is really plastic that has been melted - if the pan melt has a yellow color to it - then the there really is some glue in it also. If it is white or clear, it is just melted plastic.

Many people like hot melt becuase it is easy and fast.

Here are the comments from those who have concerns with Hot Melt

It is 170 degrees when it is melted so you are subjecting your flowers to that amount of heat.
Since it is plastic it reacts to temprature - plastic shrinks when it get's cold and that is what causes it to pop off some times.

When it gets warm - it get's gooey and can loose it effectiveness.

Here are some positives about OASIS Floral Adhesive

It is not impacted by temprature
It holds very very well
humidity does not impact it
in the tube - small amounts can be used

Here are some of the negatives about the OASIS Floral Adhesive
It sticks to your fingers and some people get frustrated trying get it off
if you use the can their can be waste
if you use the can - more than is needed can be poured out

Hope this helps - just for the record - we teach with OASIS Floral Adhesive.

We understand each person has to do what works for them.

Good luck
well hell, I didn't know that! The difference between lomey and the oasis tube glue I mean.

I'll get some oasis tube glue and see if I like it better.

But seriously, other than the sterling roses, never have I had a problem with things falling apart.

This little baby (see below) was glued together with pan glue. Please note the bamboo is not part of the design, it's just serves as an arm.
Well, all the flowers were pan glued to the structure. And I use what I call "little yellow pillows" for the glue, not glue sticks.
This arrangement held up for days and days with no water source in dry Colorado.

But I will give the oasis tube glue a whirl. Maybe I'll like it better. I wish they had little sample bottles I could try.

Like I said, I have a big old bottle of lomey glue that's not getting used.

Attachments

• SForchidBOKA.jpg
    SForchidBOKA.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 38
To echo what Mr. Fisher said about the types of glues.......LOOK AT YOUR GLUE TUBE SHANNON. IF IT SAYS 'LOMEY' ANYWHERE ON THE TUBE......STOP !!!!!!!!!

That glue is for glueing plastic to plastic...namely lomey trays to pedestals, tubes, etc.

The attached picture shows what the glue looks like you SHOULD be using.
calm down killer! sheesh!

I used it on experiments for goodness sake! I've asked over and over what I was doing wrong!
So I guess I was using the wrong glue.

That's MISS KILLA girl.... lol

our corsages start at $25 go on up from there. Most are blinged out and are in the 40-60 dollar range. They are never chosen from a book,all are different in someway so no one will have the same flowers. Most couples order the bouts at the same time they start at $12. I use oasis floral glue. Have no problem with it. I don't like to see big blobs of glue on corsages and oasis glue allows me to do quite delicate flowers. Sometimes I do wire a corsage.I think that certain flowers need to be wired to look right and give the corsage depth. :)

Our wholesale had the Lomey snap bracelets in stock so I picked up a package. I really like how they feel on my wrist. They don't bind and they are adjustable. My only question for those who have used them is "How do you fit the corsage in the box?" Most corsage boxes aren't long enough to keep it out-stretched and with it rolled up, it looks like the corsage would be too tall.

And here's a question for Daniel. Last year I ordered the "elegance" wristlets. They are way too big for my own wrist. I understand that you can use the ribbons to secure it to your wrist better, but my customers were apprehensive to use them. The Pop Rock wristlet was much smaller and fit fine. Would you say that most of the rhinestone wristlets fit smaller that the beaded ones? I'm just trying to decide what to order. Thanks!

we had rhinestone bracelets and they were very tight on some girls and just right on others. I would suggest that individual girls must try on the wristlet for comfort to alleviate problems.

I just got done putting pictures of last years prom corsages on my digital photo frame. I made it into a slide show. The kids love seeing what was done before. We only use Oasis glue. When the girls come in they pick out the ribbon & bling, we put it into a large corsage box. The next day my designers make up the base, so, we're ready to glue the flower in. We also put 2 candy kisses in the box for the couple, with a note to have fun at the prom. I'll try to post a pic some one of our corsages tommorrow.

Great, great idea with the digital frame.
I love it!!!

I'm going to do a prom fashion show next week at a high school.
I was thinking about a foam core set up.
Been dreading putting it together.
I think the digitable pics are way better.

A thousand thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.