Corsages and Bouts $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ctherose,

When I designed the Elegance bracelet, it was designed to be a "hanging" bracelet and so it was made larger. Since then customers have shared with me that they prefer it to be the same size as all the others, so now it is the same size.

We do have 3 bracelets that are a little smaller on purpose - they are Queen Bee, Ice Princess and Pop Rock. They can be stretched out to fit without a problem, but they are a little snugger. Other than those 3, all the bracelets are now the same size.

Cherrie
Good luck at your prom show at the school, we have learned over the years, going to the school and connecting directly with the girl is the very best way to raise the price of your corsages and it really generates sales.

Please let me know if you need anything else from us.

Great, great idea with the digital frame.
I love it!!!

I'm going to do a prom fashion show next week at a high school.
I was thinking about a foam core set up.
Been dreading putting it together.
I think the digitable pics are way better.

A thousand thanks

Maybe this is tacky, but I got one of those cardboard display boards from hobby lobby in black (the kind kids would use for a school project). I used cool scrapbook paper to cut out "PROM" and affixed it to the header. I used a scrap of shiny fabric to drape over it to hide the sides and a coordinating piece for the tablecloth. I can pin bows on it as well as unique wristlet bases that I have designed so they have an idea of the kinds of wristlets available. (They can take them off to try them on if they want.) I also take all the bling (rhinestones, etc.) and display them on separate pieces of black foam core that hang on the display board. It allows me to take them off and move them around. I also have a fuzzy black bracelet holder that I display one or two wristlets on. I sometimes use cube vases to display all the bling on the table too. And don't forget rolls of deco wire and baskets of ribbon. We all know how color sells--if they see what you have they will want it!

Reactions: yellowroses
I don't think your display is tacky at all. One of the key things is to have a display that draws the students. Your display sounds just like the thing that would draw my teen age girls, so I would say you are right on track.

Here is another idea we share with florists - when you go to the school, take buckets of flowers with you. As

ooopppp - wrong button - here is the rest.....

As you said, color draws attention - having buckets of flower, brings in the color and also draws attention since everyone loves flowers.

Here is another idea we suggest when florists go to the school. Make up and take 12 corsages.

6 are for the Roving Faculty - the ones that are always moving through the hall ways and would draw attention to your designs. Roving faculty would be principal, coaches, office staff, counselors, etc....

The other 6 are for those 6 girls at the school who you know are going to show them off to everyone else.

Don't forget a couple of boutonnières also.

Show off some unique designs, skills and product.

We call this our moving billboard program.

Your fans are right Fisher, you do have great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

blueyedame,

Thank you. I did not realize I had fans, but that is good to know. It is our goal to have an open enviorment where we will share the things we have learned so everyone can benefit.

Are you near Chicago? Our designer is there 3 days this week and another day next week doing classes and sharing our marketing and sales strategies.

No, but not too far. I'm about 90 minutes south of Indy. I sure wish I had the time to come up!

Ya'll might be getting tired of me refering to the recent Georgia State Florists Convention.....but if you want what I thought was a unique display set-up - The Lion
Ribbon booth displayed their products in a very stylish way. I think this method would work well for displaying the various accesories available to use in prom work.

They took rectangles of foamcore - wrapped them in a solid color wrapping paper, then took all the ribbons, wristlets, rhinestone and pearl sprays, and made what I would call "Multi-Media Art"

The attached image shows the collection of their black and silver accessories.

We are designers, We are artists, We are creative people, - Let's USE that creative skill we have.

Attachments

• DSC00091.jpg
    DSC00091.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: twiggy
I thought it was a great display idea........They had all the different color groups done like that......All on artists easels.....surrounding a small table with the books, forms, and vendor info.....the whole set-up really did give you the feeling of a museum art display.

---------------------------------------------------------------

We have fun making wrist corsages and bouts,

I have been at $21.98 for the past two dance, but will raise my price to
24.95 for a wrist corsage this year. (I have found that the crystal sprays from Floral Supply Synidicate are nice - $6.60 for 12 - 55 cents each, of which we cut them and add just one bling to 3 roses - 11 cents whole sale to each wristlet) Every girl should have bling - even on a budget.

I am sad to see the little sequin wristband not on the fitz site. Loved it as I could up sale the band for $4.00 more - the kids loved it!!

We sell bout. for $12.98 on up as we always add wire and make it special.

We sold quite a few Fitz. The Snap bracelet didn't do so well.

lotakids,
The Sequin Band is still available, however from the Milton Adler Company. Part of the joint marketing program we are doing with them, we agreed not to compete against each other. With that agreement, I said I would no longer carry sequins and he would no longer carry the beaded bracelet - if you are having and problem finding the sequins, just let me know.

Thanks

"a bit....... ??????" - Thom - Haven't you heard - SIZE matters !!!!

Reactions: TGDragonfly
Indonesian rotting meat flower.

Thom, its the Idonesian stink blossum that RWK swears does not eat children but I am still suspicious. I hear when it is big and mature it gives off the odor of rotten meat. Kewl. Is'nt it weird how when something is stinky, people will smell it twice to make sure it really is stinky? I did hear it gets huge as well.

I promise ya.....It does not eat children, but it does love little bouncy birds - lol

Information about the flower taken from wikipedia
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The titan arum or Amorphophallus titanum (from Ancient Greek amorphos, "without form, misshapen" + phallos, "penis", and titan, "giant") is a flowering plant with the largest unbranched inflorescence in the world. The largest single flower is borne by the Rafflesia arnoldii; the largest branched inflorescence in the plant kingdom belongs to the Talipot palm (Corypha umbraculifera). The titan arum was originally discovered by an Italian botanist, Odoardo Beccari, in Sumatra in 1878. It thrives at the edges of rainforests near open grasslands. Though found in many botanic gardens around the world it is still indigenous only to the tropical forests of Sumatra. Due to its fragrance, which is reminiscent of the smell of a decomposing mammal, the titan arum is also known as a carrion flower, the "Corpse flower", or "Corpse plant" (in Indonesian, "bunga bangkai" – bunga means flower, while bangkai means corpse or cadaver; for the same reason, the same title is also attributed to Rafflesia which, like the titan arum, also grows in the rainforests of Sumatra).
The popular name titan arum was invented by the broadcaster and naturalist Sir David Attenborough, for his BBC TV series The Private Life of Plants, in which the flowering and pollination of the plant were filmed for the first time. Attenborough felt that constantly referring to the plant as Amorphophallus on a popular TV documentary would be inappropriate.
The titan arum's inflorescence can reach over 3 metres (almost 10 ft.) in circumference. Like the related cuckoo pint and calla lily, it consists of a fragrant spadix of flowers wrapped by a spathe, which looks like the flower's single petal. In the case of the Titan Arum, the spathe is green on the outside and dark burgundy red on the inside, and deeply furrowed. The spadix is hollow and resembles a large loaf of French bread. The upper, visible portion of the spadix is covered in pollen, while its lower extremity is spangled with bright red-orange carpels. The "fragrance" of the inflorescence resembles rotting meat, attracting carrion-eating beetles and Flesh Flies (family Sarcophagidae) that pollinate it. The flower's deep red color and texture contribute to the illusion that the spathe is a piece of meat. During bloom, the tip of the spadix is approximately human body temperature, which helps the perfume volatilize; this heat is also believed to assist in the illusion that attracts carcass-eating insects.
Both male and female flowers grow in the same inflorescence. The female flowers open first, then a day or two following, the male flowers open. This prevents the flower from self-pollinating.
After the flower dies back, a single leaf, which reaches the size of a small tree, grows from the underground corm. The leaf grows on a semi-green stalk that branches into three sections at the top, each containing many leaflets. The leaf structure can reach up to 6 m (20 ft) tall and 5 m (16 ft) across. Each year, the old leaf dies and a new one grows in its place. When the corm has stored enough energy, it becomes dormant for about 4 months. Then, the process repeats.
The corm is the largest known, weighing around 50kg. When a specimen at the Princess of Wales Conservatory, Kew Gardens, was repotted after its dormant period, the weight was recorded as 91kg.
The titan arum grows only in the wild in the equatorial rainforests of Sumatra, Indonesia. It was first described in 1878 by Italian botanist Odoardo Beccari. The plant flowers only infrequently in the wild and even more rarely when cultivated. It first flowered in cultivation at the Royal Botanic Gardens, at Kew in London, in 1889, with over 100 cultivated blossoms since then. The first documented flowerings in the United States were at New York Botanical Garden in 1937 and 1939. This flowering also inspired the designation of the titan arum as the official flower of the Bronx in 1939, only to be replaced in 2000 by the day lily. The number of cultivated plants has increased in recent years, and it is not uncommon for there to be five or more flowering events in gardens around the world in a single year. The titan arum is more commonly available to the advanced gardener due to pollination techniques.
Until 2005, the tallest bloom in cultivation, some 2.74 m (8 ft. 11 in.) high, was achieved at the Botanical Garden of the University of Bonn in Germany in 2003. The event was acknowledged by the Guinness Book of Records.
On 20 October2005, this record was broken at the botanical and zoological garden Wilhelma in Stuttgart, Germany. The bloom reached a height of 2.94 m (9 ft. 6 in.).

Attachments

• 180px-Titan-arum1web.jpg
    180px-Titan-arum1web.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 11
yeah Rick, every time I see the pic, I want to hold my breath :) lol

okay, it that's what you guys's phallic thingies look like, I'd suggest seeing a doctor ASAP. Especially if it's wearing a ruffly collar ;)

There was a flower at the Phil Flower show, similar, but not the same. I thought it was the Corpse Flower, but believe it was a gargantuan Jack In The Pulpit. Cool stuff.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.