*Design Competition* Your Best Dozen Roses - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not post this to 1) start an arguement, 2) state that I was AGAINST flower art, 3) make you feel bad, 4) push you to not enter the contest. It was only a post that said "I personally would like to see". I am sorry that you think my post did all of the above....especially #4.......
WOW....I got my first red dot ever with my post...with the comment "How is a design competition - even an artsy one - a bad idea?". I am at a loss on how my post stated...or indicated....this design competition a "bad idea". I really thought that I would get my first red dot over a political post or something, but not this weak post. Sorry if I offended some......

Reactions: 12 people
I personally would like to see the design contest be "sellable one dozen rose designs" (not some flower art contest),....

Well, at least we will try to make something that costs us less than $30-35 (so that we can sell it for ~$100), can be made within 20-30 min of design time at most, and is deliverable.

For the record, I didn't red dot you Clay.

Well.... Since I got told I was pouting, and I got called a princess (of all things), and since Cathy threatened me... I'll think about it some more.

And by the way, yes I am having an off few weeks. kind of at a crossroads, but that neither here nor there.

Reactions: 1 person
Voting in Private is an Amerian right!

Well, I think I wont be entering this one. As far as I'm concerned "flower art" is just as sellable as traditional. I don't understand why some Flowerchatters are so against any type of design that may be a little out of the ordinary. I don't know why if we stretch our design legs we are made to feel bad for doing it.
I see this just becoming a thread of arguements. I'm choosing to stay out of it. Good luck to all who dare to post their pics.

I have never rated a picture on a gallery because the rating you give is public. This is fine, as long as the score you give is 10. Ever notice that almost everything is either rated 10 or not rated at all? This means that the ratings are skewed. No one wants to create controversy here by giving a 6 when everyone else has put 10. Only with private voting can the true results be seen.

Who is going to give some of the dozen-rose designs a score of 4? If you give mine a score of 4, you'll be on my @@@@ list.

Can we adjust the software so that the score we give isn't public?

I think this should be the case for ALL pictures in the galleries.

Or else get rid of scoring altogether.

(ps- I will submit a design if I can't see who gives me what score)

will the arrangements be posted with the designer/fc'rs name or anonymous?

will the judges' ratings be anonymous?

I could see "nice" people just rating everyone high while some "mean" people might low rate a design for personal reasons.

joe

Reactions: 3 people
will the arrangements be posted with the designer/fc'rs name or anonymous?

will the judges' ratings be anonymous?

I could see "nice" people just rating everyone high while some "mean" people might low rate a design for personal reasons.

joe

I love quoting great posts... :rolleyes:

to continue...

if it's anonymous.... then you run the risk of "mean" fcr's sabotaging the vote.

while if all names are public, you will have all "nice" fcr votes.

Cathy? any suggestions?

joe

Reactions: 1 person
The current software has two choices - but neither keep the vote anonymous ~

1) 'As is' where ratings are viewed and attributed to each rater. This allows members to 'vote' for as many designs as they like. I like the idea of spreading the goodness around.

2) Allow just a single 'vote' with no ratings or comments.

We'll be on the lookout for less-than-professional behaviour. This is supposed to be FUN. :)

I like the idea of spreading the goodness around.

HEH!!! ... so does bloomzie. :rolleyes: j/k

) Allow just a single 'vote' with no ratings or comments.

We'll be on the lookout for less-than-professional behaviour. This is supposed to be FUN. :)

have you considered a panel of judges

or both a fc popular vote and then a panel of judges.

The panel might actually add some needed insight to certain designs on why or why not a certain design is desirable or not. i.e spatial relationships, rhythm, balance, etc....

joe

We have a back-up team of judges.... Jim McCann, Mark Goldston & Stewart Resnick.... j/k

Honestly, I like the idea of members indicating their favorites. Kinda like Digg (which is definitely not anonymous) for a dozen roses, taking a snapshot of the wisdom of the florists' crowd.

What if everyone's vote 'for' was counted as a '10'?

Cathy,
I know you meant this to be fun. You are such an optimist. I am a realist bordering on pessimism. I saw all this coming a mile away. Another reason for my first post.

I think each fc'er should get one vote and one vote only. And it should be private, and unrated. Just for the voting process. Then maybe after voting is finished, we can all comment on the designs.

And you better put your big girl/boy panties on! trust me! Your feelings will get hurt if you don't.

For instance.. Lets take my design for Flowers&. One flowerchatter in particular let me know they voted for someone else because the design they voted for "was more practical". Seriously, what was the need to let me know they voted for someone who wasn't me? Just to be mean..... Whatever. I know my design was good, and I know THEY knew it was good. They just felt a need to knock me down or steal my thunder. Again, whatever.

The point is, weather you enter THIS contest, or any other, be prepared to be told some things you may not want to hear.

I love this idea!!! I am an optimist, and would hope everyone here is at least professional in their comments.

I see everyone's points regarding nice people getting more votes, mean people saying mean things, but 'cmon doesn't that kind belittle us all...and our industry!??!?

Great idea CHR, I bet you had no idea the Pandora's box you were opening!?!?!

Unless I am illiterate (and I am not saying I'm not) I didn't see red roses posted anywhere... we can use any color, right?

Reactions: 2 people
We have a back-up team of judges.... Jim McCann, Mark Goldston & Stewart Resnick.... j/k

as long as you don't recruit Norton or Soenen :eek: , i wouldn't have problems with mcCann or resnick.

goldston probably doesn't know a rose from a carnation.

joe

weather you enter THIS contest, or any other, be prepared to be told some things you may not want to hear.
In order to grow and learn, we're all gonna hear things we may not want to hear. Like a plant, a little 'pruning back' makes us stronger in the long run.

Yes, there are the occasional snide or flip remarks couched as 'helpful' comments, but on balance, the discussions are professional and truly meant in a community spirit. Ignore the trolls.

I didn't see red roses posted anywhere... we can use any color, right?
Right.

In order to grow and learn, we're all gonna hear things we may not want to hear. Like a plant, a little 'pruning back' makes us stronger in the long run.

Yes, there are the occasional snide or flip remarks couched as 'helpful' comments, but on balance, the discussions are professional and truly meant in a community spirit. Ignore the trolls.

Right.
I 100% agree, that's why I posted what I did.

I love this idea, and could care less whether it's anonymous or people post what they really think vs trying to be PC.

IMHO The idea is to get our freakin talent shown to the almight dollar weilding public, as a group of professional talented individuals trying to distinguish themselves from the Big Box Bad Boys.

Count me in, and I love all you admins for thinking of this!
:blowkiss: :ghug:

Reactions: 3 people
Hey I'm gonna post a pic and if everyone thinks it's hideous, fine. Tell me why so I can learn. It's all good.

I love quoting great posts... :rolleyes:

to continue...

if it's anonymous.... then you run the risk of "mean" fcr's sabotaging the vote.

while if all names are public, you will have all "nice" fcr votes.

Cathy? any suggestions?

joe

You're far too HUMBLE, Joe!!!

But seriously...are you just worried that Hollywood's gonna getcha????

lollollol

You're far too HUMBLE, Joe!!!

But seriously...are you just worried that Hollywood's gonna getcha????

lollollol

nah.

even though Henry doesn't like me, whenever he red dots me, he at least signs his name.

Joe

p.s. I am glad my tongue in cheek comment wasn't wasted and that you "got it" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.