*Design Competition* Your Best Dozen Roses - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also really like this idea.

I am really going to try to figure out how to post a pic so I can join in.

I don't expect to win or even come close, I've seen some work from some of you on here and I know I don't hold a candle. I want to join this because I WANT to be told what I am doing wrong.

Cathy,
I know you meant this to be fun. You are such an optimist. I am a realist bordering on pessimism. I saw all this coming a mile away. Another reason for my first post.

I think each fc'er should get one vote and one vote only. And it should be private, and unrated. Just for the voting process. Then maybe after voting is finished, we can all comment on the designs.

And you better put your big girl/boy panties on! trust me! Your feelings will get hurt if you don't.

For instance.. Lets take my design for Flowers&. One flowerchatter in particular let me know they voted for someone else because the design they voted for "was more practical". Seriously, what was the need to let me know they voted for someone who wasn't me? Just to be mean..... Whatever. I know my design was good, and I know THEY knew it was good. They just felt a need to knock me down or steal my thunder. Again, whatever.

The point is, weather you enter THIS contest, or any other, be prepared to be told some things you may not want to hear.

Well, Shannon, that is what happens when things are put up for public discussion...Just like people who go on Howard Stern, if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen....You can never gain insite into yourself if you can't listen to what others think about you(your designs). For some people those way out floral art pieces are worthless, for others they are beautiful...Any type of art is toatally interpretive, one person may look at it and think it is great another a complete piece of junk...what can you do...

I would much prefer someone telling me why they didn't like it so I can quantify the complaint..I got a ranking on one of my pictures in the gallery. It was a stupid little 35.00 mardi gras item...the rating was a 4(I think) with no explanation as to why...I PM the person to ask and got that where she comes from Mardi gras is a big thing and it just wasn't up to snuff. Well, that is fine but this was for a silly little mardi gras party in the NE where it is nothing and the customer had 35 bucks, I think I did pretty good for the money I had...Sometimes the ratings(especially with no rules) need a great commentary to get the raters state of mind. The complaint on you arrangement would have been quantified as doesn't appreciate art, useless and unworthy comment, into the junk pile.. Contests are not always for the practicality of our business, they are more often than not to show innovative designs that standout. Just like fashion shows, most of the designs are wacky, never to be sold ideas, just so the designer can show off...give the show some splash and excitement..

Not sure why you need anyone's input, your designs are beautiful and have flair. You need not seek out anyone's approval...

I want to play too! :purpletea I love competition! I learned so much from competitions and being judged by experienced designers....it's a great learning tool.

Well, Shannon, that is what happens when things are put up for public discussion...Just like people who go on Howard Stern, if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen....You can never gain insite into yourself if you can't listen to what others think about you(your designs). For some people those way out floral art pieces are worthless, for others they are beautiful...Any type of art is toatally interpretive, one person may look at it and think it is great another a complete piece of junk...what can you do...

I would much prefer someone telling me why they didn't like it so I can quantify the complaint..I got a ranking on one of my pictures in the gallery. It was a stupid little 35.00 mardi gras item...the rating was a 4(I think) with no explanation as to why...I PM the person to ask and got that where she comes from Mardi gras is a big thing and it just wasn't up to snuff. Well, that is fine but this was for a silly little mardi gras party in the NE where it is nothing and the customer had 35 bucks, I think I did pretty good for the money I had...Sometimes the ratings(especially with no rules) need a great commentary to get the raters state of mind. The complaint on you arrangement would have been quantified as doesn't appreciate art, useless and unworthy comment, into the junk pile.. Contests are not always for the practicality of our business, they are more often than not to show innovative designs that standout. Just like fashion shows, most of the designs are wacky, never to be sold ideas, just so the designer can show off...give the show some splash and excitement..

Not sure why you need anyone's input, your designs are beautiful and have flair. You need not seek out anyone's approval...
I guess no one has figured me out yet. I even got a PM to call someone the other day. I did and the person really thought that I was being a bit beat up in another thread.

When I post, my posts are a little loaded. I know I ask questions that other people think, but don't have the nerve to ask. I do it at design shows too. I put myself out there to get ridiculed, snickered at, or the occasional "rolling of the eyes" I don't mind.

But look... No pics have been posted, and look how it's already going. Clay even got a red dot. It's silly. Exactly what I said would happen, has happened, and no pics are even posted yet!

I don't understand why we can't just agree that there are many many ways to design and the arrangements be sell able. Just because something wont sell in store A doesn't mean it wont sell in store B. Some people want to convince others that the way they do it in their store is really the only way it can be done, "Cause no one wants that artsy shiit" baloney.

The point of my first post is there are fc'ers who only think that arrangements that are sell able (in their shop) are worth designing. And there are others who like to get a little more creative.

TRUST ME, I've been to a thousand design shows. I hear the people in the audience whispering "Oh we couldn't sell THAT!" Or the fun discussions at lunch where they say "Why don't they show things we can sell in the store" I want to scream "YOU DON'T HAVE ANY IMAGINATION!!!" but I don't.

I think, (even though I wrote "the point is" in my last post) the point is getting lost. I have thick skin when it comes to being judged. But I've been in more than one competition. FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T, be prepared to get your feelings hurt (maybe). And don't take it personally. Even though sometimes comments are meant to be personal.

Reactions: 1 person
Me either. Who cares what other people say? The collective benefit of this competition helps us all, and outweighs possibly a couple of bruised egos.
Everybody cares what people say. You can say you don't care all you want, but you care.

When someone tells me an arrangement I did is wonderful, I care. And when someone tells me it sucks, I care then too.

It's not an ego thing. It's a human thing.

Everybody cares what people say. You can say you don't care all you want, but you care.

When someone tells me an arrangement I did is wonderful, I care. And when someone tells me it sucks, I care then too.

It's not an ego thing. It's a human thing.

Shannon, I understand what you're saying, nobody "enjoys" being criticized. Possibly more so in this case because the criticism isn't coming from a panel of judges, it's coming from peers that possibly are good cyber friends who will have to choose one "friend" over another.

With that said, I really think this issue has become bigger than need be. I predict this will be a fun contest with minimal bruised egos. :dunno: The positives will outweigh the negatives.

Shannon, I understand what you're saying, nobody "enjoys" being criticized. Possibly more so in this case because the criticism isn't coming from a panel of judges, it's coming from peers that possibly are good cyber friends who will have to choose one "friend" over another.

With that said, I really think this issue has become bigger than need be. I predict this will be a fun contest with minimal bruised egos. :dunno: The positives will outweigh the negatives.
Fun, yes.

And hopefully, in the end, we'll have some really nice designs we can show off to the public. Let's remind them that even the ordinary floral gifts don't have to be ordinary!

Ryan

But look... No pics have been posted, and look how it's already going. Clay even got a red dot. It's silly. Exactly what I said would happen, has happened, and no pics are even posted yet!
I thought the directions said uploads begin 9-14 .

As for the rest of your post, you're not saying anything we don't already know about design preferences. I use gyp, I use baker, I use carns - I don't mind people bashing those flowers because they sell for me - it makes no difference.

Personally, I think the comments about your designs, or designs that are specifically deemed as "artsy" are far far far more positive than negative. Yes, some will say it's not worthwhile, but how many ??
Even the posts in this thread are far more positive toward the idea than negative .... and since the work is viewed by the public, wouldn't it be wonderful to show the art a designer of your calibre is capable of?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see this as being an overall HUGE benefit to anyone who participates, and possibly to those who don't because of the work that customers may see that's different than 1800/ftd/tf/pro.

With that said, I really think this issue has become bigger than need be.
Me too.. enough discouraging talk about the voting/rating/ and possible negative comments already!

I predict this will be a fun contest with minimal bruised egos. :dunno: The positives will outweigh the negatives.
Yes I agree.. especially if lots of people get involved and submit! the more involvement the better the contest will be!

I will be submitting. This will be my first contest entered since I was in college...so we will see how it goes..

I will suggest to all of you to read over the tips for makeing a potogenic arrangement on Phil Rulloda's page

http://blog.philrulloda.com/2008/01/07/tips-for-photographing-flower-arrangements.aspx

This will help in making your arrangement not lose its umph when going from 3d to 2d...This is where I need the most help...

Wishing everyone luck and great fun and minimally bruised egos....

Reactions: 3 people

Ok, how about yes I care, but not enough to feel upset? Like anyone else of my age (I'm 47), I've been through so many ego-bruising experiences in my life that a few critical comment on our flower arrangement (or red dots here an there on my comments in FC) just doesn't matter to me.

yes, I understand what you all are saying... however I don't think anyone gets what I'm saying.. I'm not worried about me.

Good luck to everybody who enters!!!! I'm sure everybodys designs will be wonderful!

Thank you and Good night!!

This thread seems to have gotten...

way out of hand. What started as a great idea, way to go Cathy!!! Has turned into silliness.
How about this, a two-fold contest:
1) Create a dozen roses using same rules but that might be seen as "artsy"
2) Create a dozen roses, same rules but that might seem MORE sellable.

When I first read this post, that was my initial reaction. Because I see it the way SHannon sees it, but I also understand Joe's point. I am always trying to find something right down the middle. In other words, my client base defintely loves our "artsy" work, but when they want to send something to their grandmother who doesn't necessarily "know" our work I and they want to send something different but RECOGNIZABLE. Hope that makes sense, it's about finding a commonality between the artistic and the realistic. Realistic also plays into what Joe mentioned, deliverability and profitablility with regards to mechanics. I want to offer something new, but it still needs to make me money. The key is doing BOTH!

Just my 2.

Reactions: 2 people
Shannon,

I know you said good night, but my last thought on this...

I get what you are saying, but maybe you should not feel that you need to stick up for the people who will be afraid. Chances are if they are afraid of a bit of criticism or the feelings they will get from it they won't enter anyway and blame it on this or that...You cannot help the world only yourself...there is way too much psycho crap that people need to deal with before entering into any kind of public contest, heck it takes alot of pscho crap for many people just to post a message on a message board because they don't know the people....just let it go and let people either say their own peace or forever stand behind and PM their little doubts behind the scenes....

yes, I understand what you all are saying... however I don't think anyone gets what I'm saying.. I'm not worried about me.

Good luck to everybody who enters!!!! I'm sure everybodys designs will be wonderful!

Thank you and Good night!!

And the result is....

The current software has two choices - but neither keep the vote anonymous ~

1) 'As is' where ratings are viewed and attributed to each rater. This allows members to 'vote' for as many designs as they like. I like the idea of spreading the goodness around.

2) Allow just a single 'vote' with no ratings or comments.

So folks have had some input.

Cathy, Are we leaving the voting as is? option 1)

Unlimited public votes with a place for comments?

Or option 2) one public vote with no ratings.

(I vote for option two)

How about ... we do the competition, submit what you like best fro your shop, and the membership as a whole will vote.

Remember - there are 12 winners! I'm sure we'll have a broad spectrum across those 12.

The goal is to build a little customer excitement. Let's stay positive, have some fun and show off a little :)

Reactions: 2 people
I'm in and my feeling is this... I couldn't afford to buy the experience, coaching, and instruction that I can get here on FC. Entering this contest raw and wide open to any and all suggestions, comments whether good or bad, coaching, and ideas is an opportunity knocking......hello, come on in! Hit me with your best shots and teach me the way oh great FCers! :grovel:

well, it took a while, seriously wondering why it took so long.

So thanks for the red dot.

I'm so misunderstood. poor me. HA!

wait a minute... got another one!!

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.