Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowerDiva

Apr 28, 2005
Clovis
www.asecretgardenflorist.com
State / Prov
CA
Okay. So I've started a new diet & I'm cranky.

I've been on a doctor prescribed liquid diet for 16 days now & have lost 14 pounds. Everyone at the shop is kind & apologetic for bringing food into work (not that they should be). They are a great support system for me. But, my problem is with my husband. He is a sabotager! I am so ready to kill him! :wallhead:

I've been good. Haven't cheated. Some days are easier than others.

Anybody else started a dreadful diet since after the holidays? How do you keep sane & from killing your spouse/significant other? Positive thoughts are in great need...

Reactions: 2 people
Good for you !!!!!! Dieting is HAAAAAARRD !! No matter how much one is trying to lose.
Don't call it a "Diet" call it a "lifestyle change" . "dieting" represents preprivation and you will be in a constant battle with yourself.
A lifestyle Change is something you are doing that is good for you.
The biggest part of dieting or lifestyle changing is your mindset. It's all just a mind game. I have a sign on my fridge that reads: NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS. (it's been there for 3 years)
Just keep telling yourself: I can do this!! When faced with temptation I would ask: Who's stronger? me or that french fry?
(Hello, my name is Jennifer and I am a Carboholic! at least I was anyway. ) Get rid of all the junk in your house so that the husband can't sabotage you. I used to think that dinner had to be: meat, vegetable & carb side dish. ?? No more !! Everyone shed a few pounds in our house just from MY lifestyle change.
There will always be Saboteurs, just ignore them and keep telling yourself: I CAN DO THIS !!
and you CAN, because once your mind is set, you can do ANYTHING!!!!
:thumbsup

Jennifer

Hello, my name is Lori and I am also a carbaholic!!!!

My husband used to be the biggest saboteur until he had gastric bypass surgery and December....He has lost 120 lbs and looks and feels great....

We both got very disgusted about a year ago and I found that everytime I went on a "diet" I would feel very deprived...I made some changes in how I eat and didn't call it a diet and lost almost 60lbs now....At first I changed little thins, like eating in the car(big bad habit for me), no more dunkins breakfast or fast food....limiting my social eating(another area I have big problems with)...limiting restaurant food(just the salt intake from this area did alot to make me feel better) and last but not least taking stairs and parking further away from buildins and walking, before I knew it I lost 40lbs....I am now up to 60 lbs, but now am on a strict diet until my surgery on Jun 30th...Crossing my fingers it doesn't get cancelled...

Good luck on the liquid diet....that is one of the hardests diets to follow especially with a sabateur around....

Lori, well done and continued success. My question is why proceed with the surgery when you are doing so well on your own merits?

Flower Diva and anyone else who may be interested, look into Sparkpeople.com. It's a free site and is awesome.

V

14 pounds is a great start!! Keep going. When employees bring out lunch, put your sneakers on and take a walk around the block.
Husbands can be the worst saboteurs - once a week my husband will bring home Ben and Jerry's New York Super Chunk Fudge. Keep telling him to stop, keep eating it anyway.
Keep going, we'll root you on.

Ahh, I am struggling with this too. I lost 35 lbs last year got down to a 6/8 and was thrilled with the change. I excercised daily (walking alot seemed to help ) and was great for a year. Last month I fell badly (painting the house) and injured my knee. Can't walk for excercise and still in alot of pain, and now have gained 10 pounds back in a month!!! This is so annoying. I barely eat anything, about 1000 calories, despite the fact that I cook every day for family. I am so disgusted. Hoping the knee heals quickly but it's going to be a long summer.

Lori, well done and continued success. My question is why proceed with the surgery when you are doing so well on your own merits?

Flower Diva and anyone else who may be interested, look into Sparkpeople.com. It's a free site and is awesome.

V

Just checked out the site. It looks great. I am going to really look into it tonight. I think it might just be what I need to get me motivated!

Thanks V!!

Dieting does suck.

My hubby always sabotages me too. I think he wants me fat. I had a plus size modeling contract offer when I was much younger. He asked me not to do it, so I didn't. He's got a little jealous streak in him. So I just quit dieting. I'm one of those fat people who doesn't mind being fat except for the problems with my ankles.

It's not a vanity thing for me to need to drop a few, it's when my ankles say
"hold on there porky, it's gettin' a little rough down here" Then I know it's time to watch it. I'm up and down 50 pounds all the time. Big people run in my family, everyone lives well into their 80's. Just how we're made!

I'm half spanish and grew up in New Mexico, so my main prob is tortillas!!
and I really like sugar. But if I just leave sugar alone, it doesn't trigger that
"OMG I have to have sugar NOW" button

Good luck girl!!

i have a little bit of a belly which is actually going down since i joined the local gym ( i never do much apart from laugh) but i always seem to have ben and jerrys choc fudge brownie after ive finished working out

this week there is no ice cream or sweet tempting treats in my home but there is plenty of fruit so hopefully i may loose another 4lbs

V

Well, that is a very easy question....

I have lost over 100 lbs before on my own merits when I was 15 years old and gained it all back plus 180 lbs....Even though 60lbs is nothing to sneeze at it is not nearly what I need to lose....I still could use to lose 220 lbs.....I come from a long line of very obese people...My fathers side of the family all the women are huge over 400 lbs....my aunt just passed at 58, my dad passed at 61 all becuase of their love of eating...

I have dieted my whole life and have battling the decision to have surgery for 10 years....I would like to have a baby, but not at this size...I am quite ok with my size from a vanity point(I am actually scared about what I will look like after I lose all this weight) but for my health I am very freightened and I need intervention of a serious nature...I am 37 years old and if I have not been able to do it myself in this amount of time and keep it off i feel that I am not going to and that doesn't leave too many more years before serious health problems arise. I already have diabetes, high blood pressure and high triglycerides(very bad combo for stroke or heart attack)...

The main reason for surgery is to free my mind from being consumed with food and hunger....I have personally seen 10 people go through it and with great results in this area...it will free my mind from the food and force me to take care of me(somethging I have not done in years). This past year has been instrumental in getting me to focus on myself and take care of me....now I know I can do that and the world will not fall apart...

Reactions: 3 people
Lori,

best wishes to you!

I have another florist friend who did the surgery with great results!
Here's to a healthier YOU!

How brave you all are to post with such honesty and candor. I, too, was struggling to find summery clothes that still fit me - can't afford to buy a new wardrobe - so I have been paying more attention to the quality and (of course!!) the quantity of the food I've been eating.

I tell myself - if it were easy than EVERYONE would be thin. A nutritionist friend of mine suggested finding a non food reward for myself. When I'm having a bad day and want cookies, I go visit the library. I love to read and its calorie free!! I needed to change my thinking and to have a plan in place. When its a long, busy afternoon so I can't stop for lunch and tended to grab a candy bar, to keep apples and cheese at the shop for me. (Apples for the fiber and cheese for the protein.)

As florists, we tend to be caregivers. If my daughter needed to be a special diet with measured food or my husband was a diabetic who couldn't resist sweets, I would bend over backwards to insure their needs were met. Why am I so resistant to do the same for me? The same friend points out - before I take care of them, I have to take care me so I can take of them.

I wish us all well! Keep me posted on all your progress!!
Leah

Reactions: 1 person
I recommend you all read mindless eating....

It is all about the studies done on how the mind works on the foods we eat and the amount...It gives great information about how to change and lower your intake without ever missing a thing....it is a good way to trick yourself into not missing the missing food....

Most of the studies were done for restaraunts wanting to either save money and cut away some of the portions or make more money by charging more for the food, but first needed to know the psycology about what makes people eat more or less....

This is what my psycologist suggested I read when starting this journey as it was obvious that my mind immediately felt deprived when just mentioning the word diet......

Good luck all and remember for some food is as bad as alcohol, drugs or cigarettes, it is and can be an addiction, one that might possibly be harder than most to overcome because you have to deal with food on a daily basis, you just can't stop eating like other vices....not to diminish the severity of those addictions or make it seem easy to quit anything in life...

I'm loving this thread. I have lost my motivation partly due to the degenerative joint in my knee. I know about the walking thing. That's the best way for weight loss exercise in my opinion.

I'm thinking this thread could be the beginning of a great support group of a different kind. :)

Lori, thank you for speaking so clearly and simply about you and your goals. You will achieve great success. I'm certain of that.

The Sparkpeople site is one I stumbled on last year while trying to learn more about why I am so hard on myself. This site has helped me in so many ways... now the rest is up to me. :)

V

Reactions: 3 people
This is just a thought... but would anyone want to start up a flowerchat diet support group, Maybe we could all buddy up and be accountable to each other and together
help each other to make some healthy lifestyle changes.

Just a thought, if it's a stupid thought I'll let it go.

Sorry Victoria, I guess I should have read your thread First!!! Sorry

Just a little known fact. It takes 4 weeks for the body and mind to accept new behavior. But, after two weeks the cells in you body crave the old foods. So week 4 & 5 are the hardest. Hang in there!

How many of you smoke?? Just wondering.

I quit 5 1/2 years ago right after I almost (seriously) died from pnemonia. Happened during valentines week!!! Had to leave work for the hosp during the middle of the 13th!!

I always say if you're not dying, you better be at the shop during a holiday week!!
That time I really was!! Yipes!

This year at christmas, I woke up with Bells palsy, yes that sucks too, but nothing wrong with my hands so I left the ER and came to work. I didn't have a stoke like I thought, so I came to work!!

Point is, take care of yourself!
Maybe this will get me motivated to purposly drop a few......

The best investment I made when I began this journey was a pedometre. It tells me how many steps I've taken in the day (minimum is 10,000 and not hard to achieve), the calories I've burned through the day, the distance in miles or km and the time. :)

Even though I'm struggling at the moment I still wear it religiously... it keeps me moving.

V

I quit smoking 8 years ago... another great thing I did for myself. I had lots of support from people in here when the old FTD board was up and running.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.