Digital Website Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but where's that pottery from on the shelves in the background ?

Pottery on shelves

BOSS said:
No, but where's that pottery from on the shelves in the background ?

Hey Mark-

That shot was done in the early fall when I asked (by pictures) Mark with Cubelite if I had the cube and light set up right. Since we have sold that palet of "Vietnam" pottery, but I will check my fall freight list on the company. We carry only upgrade 6" and 8" "pot covers" that our customers have got to know us for; ceramics, fancy metal and wicker/bamboo.

I believe this comes from one of the companies that I would like to bring in containers direct from China exclusively for Real Florists Association....when the time is right.

As you say....keep tuned.....

Good shots Clay...I might be interested in a cube after VD...when you get time, post the info on where etc..what camera did you use, film etc...thanks

If we all took a dozen picture each, REAL FLORIST Association would have a solution to one of our problems!!!! IMAGES!!!!

these are not as good as i would like but...

every one of the pics on our Vday page are using our new ez cube, my new digital camera and lots of work in adobe photoshop.
love the idea of sharing images. some are not "square on page, and the one thing I wanted was every image to be proportionally the same, for good comparison on sizes etc. It kinda works, but not as well as i would like
feedback on images welcome.
parie
http://sgarden.com/specials.php

parie said:
every one of the pics on our Vday page are using our new ez cube, my new digital camera and lots of work in adobe photoshop.
love the idea of sharing images. some are not "square on page, and the one thing I wanted was every image to be proportionally the same, for good comparison on sizes etc. It kinda works, but not as well as i would like
feedback on images welcome.
parie
http://sgarden.com/specials.php

I think the light and clarity on yours looks good. I was trying the "portrait" style of shooting (heavy lighting on one side) like some product photographers use, but I am not anywhere close to what I am looking. But Parie, I think both our ours look good when we are promoting the specials that we know our customers want (and also what we want to sell) and not what the wire service puts on their florist's website homepages promoting what they want to sell. (in my opinion).

Besides trying to experiment more on my lighting and camera adjustments, I really like using the Cubelite (or many other brands). With a twist, this folds up in a bag that is about 24" round by 4" thick and out of the way.

I have made a "southern engineering" light cube (more like closet) that is about 5'wide x 4' deep x 6' height (ceiling) using pull down window shades....with the black out material removed and with new light cube type material in its place. It was made where I could take pictures of standing easle sprays (a southern thing) and casket sprays by just lowering the sides and moving the lights to the sides...if it works like I hope. Space is a premium in our shop (as any shop), this was the only thing I figured would work for the large stuff I wanted to take pictures of.

Clay,

Here's another alternative to the light cube... Have mentioned it before but it's just a 4X8 sheet of matte finish formica that's curved to look like photographers' seemless paper. We then run the images through Photoshop to clean them up. (As you can see, our $30 investment is well-worn but clean-up is as breeze with Windex.)

Attachments

• Set.jpg
    Set.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Cobalt Tropical.jpg
    Cobalt Tropical.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 78
Parie - Great job on the photos. That's a lot of work.

I waffle between the complete cut-out images (which seems to take me forever), the faux drop shadow ones or just the plain 'ol straight up shots. Here are a few from V-Day - we took the easiest route with the photos this holiday.

Attachments

• Tulip Bloom Box 342.jpg
    Tulip Bloom Box 342.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 74
  • Twenty Tulip Bloom Box.jpg
    Twenty Tulip Bloom Box.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 76
Sher said:
If we all took a dozen picture each, REAL FLORIST Association would have a solution to one of our problems!!!! IMAGES!!!!
I have been pondering this exact thing....and have discussed it a very little with 2-3 people...

Thing is, we would have to (I or someone could) come up with a set of guidelines as far as quality (mega pixel count), size both in dimension as well as megs, standard format whether is .png or .jpeg, standard background (white?) among a few others like a watermark.

Also, it would require that while many will (may) submit images, that no one gets pissy if their fav is not picked by a group (whom ever that is) of us RealFlorists for the image library (or we could put them all up and allow folks to pick the ones they want)(maybe)...also, I think a standard description should accompany each image.

More thought needed....

BOSS said:
I have been pondering this exact thing....and have discussed it a very little with 2-3 people...

Thing is, we would have to (I or someone could) come up with a set of guidelines as far as quality (mega pixel count), size both in dimension as well as megs, standard format whether is .png or .jpeg, standard background (white?) among a few others like a watermark.

Also, it would require that while many will (may) submit images, that no one gets pissy if their fav is not picked by a group (whom ever that is) of us RealFlorists for the image library (or we could put them all up and allow folks to pick the ones they want)(maybe)...also, I think a standard description should accompany each image.

More thought needed....

Don't forget to get a release as all of these images would be copyright. As far as standard goes, wire-service template websites and images are standard. I think it would be great to be able to choose background or any other artistic quality (wild or subtle arrangements and settings). Create guidlines for performance (download time, quality, universal format) but don't limit choice. Let the forum do that.

I think it is a great idea, however you look at it!

Jason

Ummm silly question but what's wrong with the wire service images again?

They're only done by some of the best designers in the world.

The point of a repository of images?

bloomz said:

JB...nothing....except....well...ummm.... you LUNATIC!

More like a supository...um...no thats not it... a NON-wire service selection guide....

Oh and Jason....Welcome to FlowerChat....we're not always like this, except me and Bloomz go way back, and he's from Oregone' too :)

BOSS said:
JB...nothing....except....well...ummm.... you LUNATIC!

More like a supository...um...no thats not it... a NON-wire service selection guide....

Oh and Jason....Welcome to FlowerChat....we're not always like this, except me and Bloomz go way back, and he's from Oregone' too :)

Thanks BOSS.
I wonder if Bloomz is located in the floral economic depression of Oregon. No, it is not a geographical feature. It is the lower Willamette Valley. Two hours south of Rose City.
Anyway, I know those selection guide arrangements are picture perfect - and overpriced for our customers. They would be nice to use for a start-up website but, since we dropped TF, they are not available to us. It takes time to build enough images for a site. It would be great to have a library of images for use by members - even if just to help get the site up and running.

Hi Fairfield. You're close, Corvallis. If you're using images strictly for your own customers, I think a good consideration would the the images freely available from FSI which John has generously offered to share with anyone, member or not. Pretty "Oregonian" of John I must say. I think they would make a great starting point to build one's catalog. look here
http://floralsourceinc.org/selguide.php?oc=0

I guess since my role here is often one of contrarian and debate starter, I like to question things.

As for the economic depression area - I didn't know we really had one, I sort of thought it was the entire industry for the last couple years. But that seems to be turning around here in Corvallis in a round about way. Competitors are closing their doors, and I would like to use our lovely Martha's words "It's a good thing."

So my question was, I was thinking of sending orders between florists and wondering how anyone could use custom images to do this? If one has a strictly local web site never to be used for long distance orders, I can understand it perfectly.

But I'm still a fan of wire service images, cuz you just pretty much can't beat them. They spend gadzillions making and shooting them in a scale we can't match. I know abuot the pricing, but I promote and use the selection guides cuz I don't like to undersell or overpromise and they really help with sticker shock for customers to look in the book and see what flowers really cost.

best regards and blessings

Have just finished publishing pics of a large wedding this Sat.--11 Bridesmaids!
I have tried to attach 2 pics shot at the shop using a light gray fabric backgroung but for some reason they are not showing up. Here is a link to the page. The Bridal Bouquet and Maid on honor are the 2 shot at the shop the rest were on location.

http://theflowerplacefv.com/Bridal-gallery.htm

JB, I love ya man, but this is where you and I disagree. WS images in general are granny panty, cookie cutter, roundie moundie, same old stuff and if I wanted to open up a grocery store and sell flowers as a commodity, I'd then probably use those images. lol *ducks* or should I say *beavers* No, some of the FS images are.. ok.

*gets up on his podium* DO THE OPPOSITE of grocery stores, this means design and floral type. *steps down* :) You old school peeps need to know, the cheese has been moved. Roll your eyes, cuss at me, think to yourself, Daz thinks he knows, but I am telling man, define yourself differently than the big boxes or go work at a garden center. You are fortunate that 2 shops in your area have gone out of business, rock on and keep those sales climbing! Not all of us are as lucky to have had 50% of florsits in our town go out of business.

Sher great idea, Parie and I talked about it to on the phone last week.

Jason, I have a shop in Ashland and Medford. The Medford one is more of a satalite shop, so it's not a real full service florist. If I had to compare our style o a shop in Eugene, it would be Passion Flowers. Welcome and I'm glad we have another Oregonian here with us. :)

Cathy, I like your set up for $30! Seems to work well! As for pics, I bought most my pics, but slowly changing them out with our own; so I think it's a great idea.

Reactions: 1 person
rich said:
Have just finished publishing pics of a large wedding this Sat.--11 Bridesmaids!
I have tried to attach 2 pics shot at the shop using a light gray fabric backgroung but for some reason they are not showing up. Here is a link to the page. The Bridal Bouquet and Maid on honor are the 2 shot at the shop the rest were on location.

Beautiful designs, Rich!

rich said:

Beautiful work and great combination of colors...you did yourself proud !
Can you share with me please your source for the French doors...have to refurbish mine before April and my son who usually builds them is balking at the job! If I can buy them, I'd make us both happy!
Thanks! And thanks for sharing your beautiful work!
Sher

Rich - Gorgeous!!!!!

A little background info about Rich's shop. First - he was one of the premier deisgners whose work was featured in every year in PFD magazine and in the AFS selection guides. His partner, also a premier designer, has had a dual career as a professional photographer. Talk about a great combo!

Love the dusty miller accents. Thanks for showing that brides want more than just clumps of roses! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.