Disaster Strikes....

Mikey the Flower Guy

It's a GREAT DAY to live, and love!
Nov 10, 2002
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
www.hamiltonflorists.com
State / Prov
Ontario
Our friend,and my brother Luc Morrissette, that operates Alpine Flowers and Gifts in Elliot Lake,Ontario,Canada, has lost access to his shop, as the underground mall that housed his shop, and his former card shop, is now locked down as a result of the collapse of a large part of the roof/ground parking level of this mall, and though one casualty has been reported, and most injuries, were non life threatening, this mall appears to be structurally compromised, and may NEVER be open to business again........and there's a possibility, that the multi storey attached hotel, may too be closed permanently.
They called me the moment it happened, and at first I thought they were pulling my leg, as we've been there many times.......
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ter-elliot-lake-mall-roof-collapse-officials/

Reactions: sandytf and joanne
This is such horrible news. So glad Luc and his family and staff are all okay but now what. I'm sure he's in shock... wish there was something, anything I could do.

That's so horrible, glad Luc and his family are safe. I would be doing a lot of praying about my insurance coverage. With something this big, it could be years before everything is settled. If you see him, give him a hug from his flowerchat family.

That's so horrible, glad Luc and his family are safe. I would be doing a lot of praying about my insurance coverage. With something this big, it could be years before everything is settled. If you see him, give him a hug from his flowerchat family.
as would I Jenifer,and I will, and he has a home away from home!

my brother in laws parents live there and had just walked into the mall when security turned them back saying that some ceiling tiles had come down... it was a tad more then that!! I am glad your friend is ok and hope he can get set up quickly somewhere else!

Thanks Mikey and everyone for their concern.
It looks Like everything is loss for me as I will have to relocate and start from scratch.
Will be looking for a location right away on MOnday and talk to insurance people.
I will also be calling some of my suppliers for help.
I have a wedding planned for this weekend and a funeral on thursday that was pre ordered.
Since I was the biggest florist in town, THe other florist would not be able to handle the work load.
Mikey keep an eye on a walk in cooler.
Talk to you later
Luc

Prayers going out.... I was out of town when I heard of the collapse... I had no clue I had friends involved....

Best wishes Luc.....

It looks Like everything is loss for me as I will have to relocate and start from scratch.
Will be looking for a location right away on MOnday and talk to insurance people.
I have a wedding planned for this weekend and a funeral on thursday that was pre ordered.
Since I was the biggest florist in town, THe other florist would not be able to handle the work load.
Talk to you later
Luc

Luc, I was on vacation and just heard. We're a bit of a drive but if we can help in any way, let us know.

Audra and the girls at Mann's

Talk to you later
Luc
I have found 6 or 7 walkin/glass door coolers that would be perfect for you LUC......let's wait & see if you get space, and what size you need...also have my eyes on some stainless sinks/counters.....

What a shock.............was away since Friday night and Luc phoned me at 8:40am on my cell phone to give me the bad news and ask if i could update his web site so that his internet clients would know what happened and that he would not be able to service them until he finds temporary facilities. I came home early to look after that for him.
Luc if there is anything else I can do let me know.

Luc doesn't like to sit and "wait" ...up and running is the best "remedy" for this town, at this time...though "normal" life will be different!
The mall is coming down......the folks are spooked, and NO ONE would ever enter that place again.....and it's a fair sized place!

The mall is coming down......
Dang.... again Luc, know we're thinking of you and all that lies ahead for you.

Mikey... how old is the mall? Have they determined the cause yet? It appeared from the images I saw that there was parking on the roof? So many questions...

built early 70's and yes, it had rooftop parking because of it's configuration into solid rockface!
Many buildings built even earlier, haven't suffered this fate,and if today's new building methods were used, this would unlikely happen, but, that was a different time!

Thanks Mike for keeping us updated. So many of us wish we were closer to be there to help Luc out. I've been reading CBC website to keep up, what a tragedy. Will any of the store keepers be able to salvage anything???

a body has been found....http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/06/27/elliot-lake-mall-search-found.html
If the mall continues to exhibit the signs of deterioration, with weakened sub-structure, it looks like most, if not all the shop keepers will lose all of their assets, however, on the bright side, immediate funding has been allocated to those ready to get started up again......it's going to be finding the space, which is going to be the problem!
The Algo Mall/Hotel, was the central focus of the town of 12,000 and the food court was often packed all day long!

Jack and Elaine Quinte, that operated Hungry Jacks,on the 2nd floor, are also good friends,and both survived, but, have lost their life savings, with the restaurant being recently revamped,at great expense, and Jack undergoing a heart transplant some 2-3 years ago!