Florists For Change

"Can't See everybody being encouraged to join ezbloomers, for reasons not discussed" What does that mean? EZbloomers has been front in center and taking it on the chin for the last 2 years both politically and financial investment wise to open up the eyes of the industry. Ezbloomers has been fighting to encourage the floral consumers that it is all about the florist and the consumer - get everybody else out of the middle. EZbloomers today is able to transfer orders from consumer to florist or from Florist to Florist with no upfront cost to anyone, No monthly software fees, no monthly dues, no clearing fees - just a simple transmission of orders on the network. Can anybody else say that? There is one thing I know for sure no organization will succeed without world class technology. And that is what EZbloomers is all about.

Big A, I applaud your efforts. You are actually taking action and DOING something to address all the concerns and complaints that have been going on for years. Good on you. However, I think a lot of people automatically bristle when something in a post is presented as "selling". It may be perfectly appropriate, but it just rubs people the wrong way. A lot of people react to the post without even knowing what it's about. I wish you good luck and I admire you for what you are trying to do. Keep at it. Eventually some people will see what you're all about. Unfortunately, there will always be a large percentage that will continue to complain and never take any steps to make a change.

Will everybody then be encouraged to go to MAS?

So many questions...it will be interesting to see what the answers may be...

Thanks for recognizing MAS... However this is far larger than MAS. We have had a platform in place for over 10 years to be able to send and receive orders between florists and also be able to provide the best customer service available with Technology. All we have done is take the MAS Direct platform and made it affordable for ANYONE to send and receive orders directly and set what ever percentage you want without having 3 different computers to do it with.. Oh and also if the wire service is your cup of tea so be ituse it over MAS Direct also. ITS ALL TOTALLY OPTIONAL AND FUNCTIONAL. What we see is many users of our technology have the same belief many others do but can only use the tool between MAS users. They also are some of the driving force behind Florists for Change. MAS Direct is very simple $1.00 to Send and $1.00 to Receive. Have internetaccess and you will be ready to go and be able to have choices.

"Can't See everybody being encouraged to join ezbloomers, for reasons not discussed" What does that mean? EZbloomers has been front in center and taking it on the chin for the last 2 years both politically and financial investment wise to open up the eyes of the industry. Ezbloomers has been fighting to encourage the floral consumers that it is all about the florist and the consumer - get everybody else out of the middle. EZbloomers today is able to transfer orders from consumer to florist or from Florist to Florist with no upfront cost to anyone, No monthly software fees, no monthly dues, no clearing fees - just a simple transmission of orders on the network. Can anybody else say that? There is one thing I know for sure no organization will succeed without world class technology. And that is what EZbloomers is all about.
well sort of yes. IRIS in Canada has a sim program but there is a yearly fee.

I commend all parties involved in not only identifying the perceived problem, but providing solutions as well.

It's a welcome change from complaining 'till the cows come home, but providing no concrete solutions.

Just to clarify my understanding if the two options being discussed, EZbloomers system relies on having customers go to a website, and then the information is collected and the orders & information is distributed to florists in their network at 100%, for a $5.50 fee.

MAS takes a shop's orders from their current customer base, and then provides the distribution channel to send the orders to florists at a negotiated discount, for a $1.00 send & receive fee.

Is that how it works?

Correct,with one exception you still can send wire service of choice (not promoting) thru MAS Direct and get rebate if that's your choice and still see your order start to finish. We are not sure of how ezbloomers works so won't answer for them. Concrete solution ? (Never say never) However we can honestly say we provide options. Does MAS Direct have all the answers no but we are affiliated with some of the brightest business minded florists in our industry and listen to their needs. We are all ears.... All the best,
Hal

Reactions: prestonway
I appreciate the remarks. I have been doing technology for 30+ years i love the fact that finally florists are trying to do something about the current state of the industry - Hate the fact that from far it looks like the same old tired strategy of putting an organization together then charging membership fees then splitting commissions 90/10 or whatever! time for a new model like:
1. Let the filling florists receive 100% of the order.
2. Forget rebates.
3. Forget clearing fees.
4. No monthly fees.
5. Get paid right away when you receive your order.
6. Direct communications between the consumer and the filling florists.

This leads to:
1. A healthier Florist (He has more available dollars to make a beautiful arrangement). And he gets paid right away.
2. A happier consumer because he receives more value for total dollars spent.
3. Better customer service because the consumer has the contact information of the florist. And the Florist has the contact information of the consumer.

I can go on and on.
It is my humble opinion is that you don't need another organization to make a better Wire Service. Just need to be bold enough to look what is best for the industry and act on your beliefs. What is the most important piece of this industry? The Florists of course! nothing can happen what out you guys. Without the florists the industry stops still. I think florists (even the little guy) forgets they are the main actors in this set.
I am not selling EZBloomers - EZBloomers will go on independently with or without any florist group -- individual florists are slowly see the light and joining EZBloomers - I just hate to see this industry continue to repeat the same old trends.
Sincerely
Abner Maldonado

"Just to clarify my understanding if the two options being discussed, EZbloomers system relies on having customers go to a website, and then the information is collected and the orders & information is distributed to florists in their network at 100%, for a $5.50 fee."

That is the consumer to florist model. There various methods and options.

In it's simplest form:
1. EZBloomers transfers orders from point A to point B.
2. No equipment is required and no set up required.
2. A florists group can create it's own network with the EZBloomers network. And define the commission split and fees within.

It is basically that simple. It is a tool to transfer orders securely on the web - also taking care of the payment accounting and split.

Hey Keith, FYI back at you. We were ask to attend by several florists. We had originally not plan on coming to Las Vegas. So we were going to go out of courtesy of the florists who requested. Our intent was not to muscle in on your meeting. We totally understand the challenges ahead for you in organizing.

It's not just an idea - it is out there live today. I applaud the due diligence in selecting World Class Technology. Just trying to provide information about what EZbloomers is all about - a lot of mis-information out there that I am trying to clear up.

Abner,

I do think your ezbloomers is a nice idea for florists. I know I've "discussed" this with Kimba. If I were still interested in any sort of flowers by wire, yours would probably top the list. I just found it very difficult to deal with the images being sold to people that then must be replicated.

I have not looked at the site recently, and IIRC, you used a lot of JH images that are at least realistic.

I applaud your program and feel badly that you feel attacked. You must understand that florists are so burned, that they are extremely suspicious.

I would be much more likely to sign up with you if it were more like Barbara Brooks, where the consumer does not have such a rigid expectation of what they are going to get.

Abner,

I do think your ezbloomers is a nice idea for florists. I know I've "discussed" this with Kimba. If I were still interested in any sort of flowers by wire, yours would probably top the list. I just found it very difficult to deal with the images being sold to people that then must be replicated.

I have not looked at the site recently, and IIRC, you used a lot of JH images that are at least realistic.

I applaud your program and feel badly that you feel attacked. You must understand that florists are so burned, that they are extremely suspicious.

I would be much more likely to sign up with you if it were more like Barbara Brooks, where the consumer does not have such a rigid expectation of what they are going to get.

Hi Linda:
thanks for the remarks, I do have to bring you up to date on some things:
1. The images are now a combination of several sources. East coast florists, West coast florists, independent designers all contributing to the site. Also we collaborate with the florists on the images so the florists have major input as to what goes on the site. If you take a peak you'll see lots of changes since you last logged in.
2. EZBloomers is not a Wire Service - there is nothing to join. EZBloomers is a florist tool to transfer orders from a consumer to a florist or a florist to a florist.
3. If you were to examine the site you will notice that everything item on the web is marked as made to order - EZBloomers tries to educate the consumer that the best type of order is the "CUSTOM MADE TO ORDER". In other words provide important information like colors, occasion, relationship and let the florist make you the most beautiful arrangement. EZBloomers pushes this on every arrangement displayed. It has been successful over 70% of consumer orders thus far are made to order.

In terms of being attacked - that comes with the territory. But I'll share a story with you linda. Back in 1981 we developed the first Order Entry System - I can tell you I was ridiculed, and made fun at our efforts. Well now 30 years later you are laughed at if you don't have an online order entry system. So linda I appreciate your feelings. There is a quiet confidence EZBloomers has going on - I know it will take a while - but just like many times before, florists will eventually get it and help EZBlooomers help the industry.

Best Regards
Abner Maldonado
Thank you so much

What incentive does any WS have to change this structure, given they haven't done it up 'till now?
Preston, I encourage you to ask those very questions on the Florists For Change Facebook page, so the steering committee (of which I am NOT part) can answer them...

But to your point above... right now, they don't have any incentive, however, let's say TF changes, and FTD does not, and the majority of medium to smaller shops (fillers) move to TF leaving FTD with zero coverage... where do you think the senders will go....

Of course there are other necessary things needed to make all this work, like an end to rebates that would eliminate order gathering, killing the Reciprocity TAX and more...

Also, to my knowledge, Florists For Change is not about technology...not yet anyway, there are other items that must come first...and that are more critical to florists survival.

Reactions: Eric S
Mark, I would be interested, but would have to know who's behind it, the agenda, etc. There are wolves in sheeps clothing everywhere among us. I do trust you, but have many questions......................

I am still very interested in seeing how this turns out myself, however the more I hear of who is involved the more I am thinking it is yet again a movement out of necessity to save big profits for the big shops by making small strides for the small shops making day to day business less sucky but sucky still...The reason I feel this way is that the main goal it seems is to have(and I will assume) TF on board promise them that these heavy hitting shops will send through them solely or leave if they don't throw the small mainly filling shops, a bone with better fee structures to stop the leaving of quality fillers who just are tired of the game or figured out that the more they fill the worse business gets and are bleeding dry slowly. IMHO this will only make life with a ws a tad bit less sucky, the big guys will lose some of their big profit on orders, but to be blunt, they have enough of a base already to market and will still do fine...their customers will continue to be happy and possible the service fee might go up to compensate(people don't mind paying service fees in todays day and age if they are happy with the product delivered)...This IMHO will not be enough to save our industry, it will just shift a bit more of the profit into filling orders..It may stop the ogs from bothering if they are not going to make enough on outgoings alone, so it may fix that, but then you have the situation that because of the buying power, money and internet bases the big guys have they stand to gain alot more than the small guy again, if the ogs pack up and stop operating...Florists like Kremp and weasley will be right there ready to take all those orders and send them to their partners, the chance of the regular internet shopper finding a small florist in each town they want to send is small when these big guys dominate the internet...so who really has the biggest stake and gain in this CHANGE....I hate to be pessimistic and am glad that someone is even bothering to try to hammer things out, but I am just tired of big business needing small business to keep thier business big and doing nothing but throwing bones our way...I know shame on us for not marketing, shame on us for letting this happen, shame on us for not getting the proper tech, etc, etc...I do hopw it is more than this, but as Rick says, There are wolves in sheeps clothing everywhere and we have fallen prey to them before and with the money behind this I cannot help to figure this change is benefiting some way more than others and the others are going to be used and made to feel like they are cared about with chump change and not real signifigant change...

On another note...I will be watching to see developments and hope I am dead wrong...I am pretty inciteful these days, but really I do hope I am very very wrong on this and I do hope something comes of this good for our industry, period, whether it affects my business directly or not, i hope all parties get what they want out of this and it is a win and history maker for the industry as a whole..I just cannot help but to think of our past history and how we are lead like lemmings off a cliff in so many instance from "the people who know better and want to help us". Call me jaded, I will not disagree. When your beaten down year after year and make decision after decision and find out later you were duped yet again, this happens..

Lori, as I said I am not on the steering committee, however that said, Kremp and Weasley and the like would have to be dealt with for me to fully support the effort, otherwise, IMO there is no reason to put much work into it on my part.

If these fees and such are adressed I would think it would hit Kremp and Weasley hard in the pocketbook as well limiting there marketing operations considerably. I am not of the belief that one change alone will solve our ill's frankly it must be a series of many changes and this might be one in that series.

If these fees and such are adressed I would think it would hit Kremp and Weasley hard in the pocketbook as well limiting there marketing operations considerably. I am not of the belief that one change alone will solve our ill's frankly it must be a series of many changes and this might be one in that series.
It's not the Kremp's & Weasley's that would feel the greatest impact, nor do they HAVE the greatest impact.

The biggest og's are the wire services themselves.

Can FTD/TF/1-800 afford to change the commission structure from 80/20 to 90/10, losing 10% of every order?

Where would they make up this lost revenue...would it be in higher service fees/charges/taxes?

What are the consequences to the ws if they don't change?

What are the consequences to the ws if they don't change?[/QUOTE]

That is the million dollar question right there. What is the leverage this group would have that could force the change so far I have not heard or seen any such leverage. I have sent an email and asked for a copy of the agenda so i can determine rather I should try to go to this meeting.