Florists For Change

BOSS

FlowerChat Administrator
Oct 31, 2002
Midland
www.smithsflowers.com
State / Prov
MI
I put this in the wire service forum, because that's where much of the current state of affairs we find our industry in began.

On August 17th, there is a meeting in Las Vegas, (coincidentally so is TF's executive meeting) to formulate a "new deal", a new direction, a better system. This is being organized by some of the brightest, biggest and best florists in the US, and some of us regulars too... those at the top of the pile seem to have finally had enough, have come to understand that if something is not done now, it will soon be too late to do anything.

I can't talk about the who's who... there will be some florists like Charley Kremp and Weasley that will not really like the proposed outcome of this meeting. Suffice it to say, there are enough large florists organizing to force the wires to make some drastic changes. FTD is aware of this meeting and is none too happy, TF too knows about it, and as I have said before "they are more florist friendly", want it to go forward, and also want a meeting after the one I'm talking about.

Everything is on the table, a change in percentages, I've heard 90/10 and even 95/5 with a clearing house cut coming out of the 5%... no reciprocity fees, no rebates, no this and no that... better this and better that... who knows...

It would be nice to get 1000 florists to show up to show their support for the key group trying to do something about the sad state of affairs this industry has become in some ways.

You can follow the group and learn more as time goes on at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florists-For-Change/219462131426614 on FaceBook. Please "LIKE" the page...

I'll try hard over the next month to not complain about the wires (too much) the time has come for positive change. It will take florists to make that happen!

Doug, I'd love to see you there ;)

I wish I could afford the time and money to attend. I'm hoping to be in the midst of moving my shop and decorating the new space. I'll be bleeding money for a while to make that happen so I can't spend anything on travel, but I hope it is a great success and look forward to hearing the details.

Mark, I would be interested, but would have to know who's behind it, the agenda, etc. There are wolves in sheeps clothing everywhere among us. I do trust you, but have many questions......................
Keep an eye on the page.... Dick posted a proposed agenda last night.... and you can see who the folks are there too...

I really don't have the money for the trip, so i'll probably just take my rent money and triple it at the tables...

Reactions: BOSS
I'm not really following this. I looked on the page but I don't see really any information about what is hapening? I know its a plained meeting being announced but its kinda hard to jump on board without more information.

Can you shed more light on this mark?

1. The current state of the local retail floral industry is one of decline in both revenue and number over the last 10 years. While flower some shops still are signing up for the promise of incoming orders to solve their lack of marketing and business acumen those numbers are also drying up in this very tough economy. B & M’s have been the ATM of the industry for many years and with their decline all phases of the floral industry are experiencing dramatic losses. With the arrival of the internet and ease of access to the 80/20 model was too tempting for the entrepreneur too pass up with the 20% commission and outrageous service charges and wire service rebates the model has spawned a wild west of creative Order Gatherer (OG’s) businesses. Wire service companies were quick to see the advantage of every order being a “wire order” and also have jumped into the OG model too. Every new fee and cost was passed to the filler who was not in any position to bargain with the wire service. Wire service companies looked at the filling florists as their cash cows and rewarded senders who brought them orders with trips, rebates, and many perks unavailable to the small receiving shops. As small shops had to increasingly rely on incoming orders due to direct competition from the OG’s who take their customers and strip the very profit out of the order and act like they are doing the small shop a favor for sending it back to them, the small shops in small towns are either closing or refusing to belong to a wire service and demand 100% on incoming orders. The reduction in end points for other retail local florists to get orders delivered as a service to their customers has created a rallying cry for some florists who have decided to try to change our industry. We invite you to join us, there are no secrets, or secret cadre of florists, or involvement by wire services. TF executive management is meeting there and offered to assist in securing a room for our meeting, there is no quid pro quo. This meeting is at 10am on August 17th at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas. We invite you to be one of those who make history. Join us in Vegas in August, there is no requirement that your shop be of a certain size, that you belong to a wire service, or that you "Know somebody". This is for independent retail florists who are seeking a change in our industry. Nobody is paying your way, its up to you to make a difference. Join us. Details will be posted shortly on a website. You can also find information here http://www.facebook.com/floristsforchange?ref=ts

This is a chance for open and honest discussion, and hopefully come away with a framework to change our industry.

Keith Hill
Beaverton Florists
ex Top 100 FTD

Everything is on the table, a change in percentages, I've heard 90/10 and even 95/5 with a clearing house cut coming out of the 5%... no reciprocity fees, no rebates, no this and no that... better this and better that... who knows...

Available right now on EZBloomers.com: Name your own split with NO clearing house fees... no reciprocity fees, no rebates, no this and no that... better this and better that.

Anyone want to meet me and my wife at our shop you can tag along with us!!
If the flight to Tustin is cheaper than Los Wages, Jeannie and I'll meet you there and ride along ;)

Available right now on EZBloomers.com: Name your own split with NO clearing house fees... no reciprocity fees, no rebates, no this and no that... better this and better that.
So... I expect I'll see you in Glitter City then.... ;)

FYI, no offense but technology is not on our agenda.
We have more important issues to resolve.
First and foremost: this is about florists coming together, not about choosing a preferred technology platform. There is no scheduled time on the agenda for anyone or anything that has not been approved by the current steering committee.

Once again, I am opening this invitation to all independent retail florists in North America but NOT to any vendors.

Once the group (the name is still to be determined) is formed and a structure established we can consider vendors. Not until.

FYI EZBloomers will not have time at this meeting.

Keith Hill
Beaverton Florists

I am all for change. But since wire services have little incentive to police themselves, and OG are probably not going away unless there is legislation tied to deceptive advertising, how do you see change going forward? I am not being negative, just asking. I have had many conversations with the folks at Teleflora over that state of the industry and the destruction of their own business model. I have been assured that the filling member florists are their chief source of revenue and our concerns are very important to them, but my wire service statement says otherwise. I would like to fix/change all of this, but I just do not see how it can be done. I signed up for the facebook page and will be interested to see what happens at your meeting and what proposals you have going forward. Once I know that I will consider giving it my support.

since wire services have little incentive to police themselves, and OG are probably not going away unless there is legislation tied to deceptive advertising,
There are already laws on the books that have done nothing to fix the advertising mess....

But, if you take away the incentive of 20%+rebates there is not enough left for them to bother with and they'll go away on their own. That would do more to get rid of them than anything. And for companies like FTD.coN, there too, if they are only left with their service charge on each order and a couple percentage points, it won't cover their Yellow Page ad costs....

Likewise, if an incoming order was worth more, say 90-95% perhaps, smaller shops that fill more than they can ever hope to send would be more profitable, and if the stupid fees like Reciprocity TAX are gone, there too the smaller shops that are always at an imbalance would be much better off.

I will not be able to attend (kind of short notice....only a month away and my August is booked full!). I wholeheartedly support the effort. For those who think the focus on the wire service incoming and outgoing fee structure isn't relevant to them because they're wire free, think again. It's a huge part of what drives the big online order gatherers. So, while it may not be the perfect solution for some of us, it WILL have an effect on us. Think of what segment of the industry is growing? For all the bad reviews and complaints on FB pages, the consumer continues to look for the simplicity and convenience that these online companies offer-like it or not. As Boss stated, if you take away much of the $ incentive, some of that competition will start to dry up and we will be able to reclaim more of our local orders. The florists who have been developing their own websites and being proactive are the ones who will fill the gap. Those who have relied on the WS to do it all for them will be the ones falling by the side of the road. At least that's they way I hope it goes!

There are already laws on the books that have done nothing to fix the advertising mess....

But, if you take away the incentive of 20%+rebates there is not enough left for them to bother with and they'll go away on their own. That would do more to get rid of them than anything. And for companies like FTD.coN, there too, if they are only left with their service charge on each order and a couple percentage points, it won't cover their Yellow Page ad costs....

Likewise, if an incoming order was worth more, say 90-95% perhaps, smaller shops that fill more than they can ever hope to send would be more profitable, and if the stupid fees like Reciprocity TAX are gone, there too the smaller shops that are always at an imbalance would be much better off.

I am trying to determine the goals of this organization, and what is hoped to be accomplished.

Are you saying that the primary goal is to change the commission structure?

What incentive does any WS have to change this structure, given they haven't done it up 'till now?

Is the incentive to change the structure, or else...(que in Law & Order theme of "dum da dum")

...or else what exactly?

Or else everybody's going to leave?

Especially the "big boys"?

Last I checked, WS membership was already voluntary not mandatory.

What options will the "big guys" have to get their orders out if they do leave the WS?

Will it be some form of quasi wire service, utilizing a common POS platform?

Will everybody then be encouraged to go to MAS?

Can't see everybody being encouraged to join ezbloomers, for reasons not discussed.

So many questions...it will be interesting to see what the answers may be...

"Can't See everybody being encouraged to join ezbloomers, for reasons not discussed" What does that mean? EZbloomers has been front in center and taking it on the chin for the last 2 years both politically and financial investment wise to open up the eyes of the industry. Ezbloomers has been fighting to encourage the floral consumers that it is all about the florist and the consumer - get everybody else out of the middle. EZbloomers today is able to transfer orders from consumer to florist or from Florist to Florist with no upfront cost to anyone, No monthly software fees, no monthly dues, no clearing fees - just a simple transmission of orders on the network. Can anybody else say that? There is one thing I know for sure no organization will succeed without world class technology. And that is what EZbloomers is all about.

There is one thing I know for sure no organization will succeed without world class technology. And that is what EZbloomers is all about.

That's just it, Big A. There's other "world class technology" out there.

That's not to say you haven't got a good idea. Just that a good idea can be copied, especially if the distribution network is available & has plans for growing...

prestonway;336001 Can't see everybody being encouraged to join ezbloomers said:
I'd love to know what this means too? These guys have put together a system that addresses every one of our complaints about the wire service thugs. But do we support it? helll no and why? I just don't get it