FlowerChat Member Directory

Do you want to participate & be listed in the directory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

theRKF

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2002
striderseo.com
State / Prov
DE
Some members have requested a searchable directory of FlowerChat members. Since this project would require some effort from all FC members as well as the admin team, we want to gauge the level of interest.

Each interested member would be asked to update their FlowerChat profile to add some required information, before they could be listed. Please consider this before responding to the poll.

Proposed Directory Information
-Category (Florist, Wholesale, etc - gives a future option to have a wholesale directory)
-Business Name
-Address
-Zip codes served
-Basic delivery charge
-Website URL
-List of WS affiliations
-Accepts direct orders
-Discount offered on direct orders
-About Us info message

Please post any questions in this thread.

Ryan

Ryan, My compliments on your willingness to implement continual modifications to your fantastic board. FlowerChat continues to get better and better thanks to your outstanding leadership.

The directory idea is a great one.

Frank

Why Wouldn't I

We send all our orders via IFA, but if some florists prefer to use this method, I would not deny them the opportunity to contact us and have an order filled through them for their customer.

THAT'S WHAT ORDER EXCHANGE SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT, NOT ABOUT COMMISSIONS AND CERTAINLY NOT ABOUT REBATES.

By All Means.

Because of the number of zip codes we serve and the distances involved, we would hope that rather than a standard delivery each zip code as a minimum, but even better each community within a zip code could be listed with its own delivery charge. For example the zip code 16938 for us has the towns of Morris, $8.00; Mount Pleasant, $12.00; Nauvoo, $16.00; Blackwell, $18.00 and Oregon Hill $18.00. From one end to the other it stretches over 50 straight line miles, and I doubt there is a single straight line mile in the thing anywhere.

Opinions vary on the discount. Maybe the options should be yes, no, and we will reciprocate!

P. S. Just looked out the window- it's snowing AGAIN!

AKIKO'S said:
Because of the number of zip codes we serve and the distances involved, we would hope that rather than a standard delivery each zip code as a minimum, but even better each community within a zip code could be listed with its own delivery charge. For example the zip code 16938 for us has the towns of Morris, $8.00; Mount Pleasant, $12.00; Nauvoo, $16.00; Blackwell, $18.00 and Oregon Hill $18.00. From one end to the other it stretches over 50 straight line miles, and I doubt there is a single straight line mile in the thing anywhere.

QUOTE]

We have the same situation here. Delivery starts at $5 and goes up to $22.

D

AKIKO'S said:

Opinions vary on the discount. Maybe the options should be yes, no, and we will reciprocate!

P. S. Just looked out the window- it's snowing AGAIN!

How far is Carlisle PA from you Clark??

Depending On Traffic.

about 2 1/2 hours South. We pick up US 15 (future I-99) 13 miles east of us, then I-81 just west of Harrisburg. That's where we have to go to get Akiko's ID card renewed every 4 or 5 years. (Your govt common sense at work - this last time she missed the cut off for a permanent card by less than 60 days. With her health, we didn't dare to gamble and let it run out to save the trip!)

Sandie & I are.....

registered at the old Harris homestead as Sandie is a direct decendant of the original John Harris that founded Harrisburg.
He apparently had the ONLY ferry that "ferried" across the river,and his night time escapades as a bootlegger had the natives so angry at him, that they had him tied to a stake, ready to be "barbequed"

A great idea whose time has come.

V

Well this has become a big "Duh"

Ryan, Mark, Cathy, Marylou and even Mikey :), thank you for all you do with this forum.

The next time you place an ad in one of the trades..., promote this new service. I think many florists will find this directory valuable.

Joe.

YAY to all!!!
I'm SO impressed by the
IMMEDIATE responses that all working together and the great energy it can/will create......MAJOR cudos go out to y'all that have the flower-power to make this work for all of us that are like myself.....
( I know **** from shinola ) re the ability to implement a task such as this!!!
As they say... a journey of a b-jillion miles starts with one savvy florist!!
well, mabey THEY don't say that, but after discovering this site ..... I do!!
Very cool to just be on the sidelines and see the amazing power and forward thinking that is happening in our industry!!
Best of blooms to all!!
jeannie

Could we add the following fields to the data base?:
2 specialties (i.e. greenhouse, tropicals, contemporary, Victorian, etc...)
Professional Credentials
Professional Affiliations (local, state and national assn's)
Sunday Delivery
Thumbshot of Home Page

And then - can we create a parallel interface, omit the 'discount on direct orders' field, and make it available to consumers since they buy and send more flowers than our fellow florists? :> (Don't shoot me.)

The commercial directories do a good job at what they do - yet each has its strengths and weaknesses. I have wished for a robust directory, searchable by a number of criteria, for a very, very long time. Have spent a lot of time investigating software but lack the programming expertise (and time) to make it happen.

Directories take a tremendous amount of time to build and maintain. The bigger they get, the tougher - because getting the initial listings is only a small part.

Just throwing in my .02 to say if we compile all this great information, let's put it where it will really do the most good.

A directory for consumers is one thing, but for florists is another thing. I was very excited and interested until I read that post. Credentials and affiliations don't mean much in my book, I've seen too many that have them that are not any better than others that don't have them. Listing two specialty areas doesn't make any sense to me, I think it would only serve to make it appear like we truly specialize in those areas, when really we were just forced to pick two. Sunday delivery is a good idea, as time goes by I find more and more that do in fact deliver on Sunday, but you can never assume such, so listing Sunday delivery is wise. The "Discount on orders" field is an important one, florists here need to know up front what the deal is. Folks here are widespread in every area and I just think it's a needed field. I've been screaming for this, so YES! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would just be such a great thing, but for flowerchat members only, not the public.

That's how I see it anyway, and to steal a line from Bloomz - opinions very.

CHR said:
Could we add the following fields to the data base?:
2 specialties (i.e. greenhouse, tropicals, contemporary, Victorian, etc...)
Professional Credentials
Professional Affiliations (local, state and national assn's)
Sunday Delivery
Thumbshot of Home Page

And then - can we create a parallel interface, omit the 'discount on direct orders' field, and make it available to consumers since they buy and send more flowers than our fellow florists? :> (Don't shoot me.)

The commercial directories do a good job at what they do - yet each has its strengths and weaknesses. I have wished for a robust directory, searchable by a number of criteria, for a very, very long time. Have spent a lot of time investigating software but lack the programming expertise (and time) to make it happen.

Directories take a tremendous amount of time to build and maintain. The bigger they get, the tougher - because getting the initial listings is only a small part.

Just throwing in my .02 to say if we compile all this great information, let's put it where it will really do the most good.

I humbly submit, that this be kept simple.

My original suggestion was for a florist to florist directory, not a consumer to florist directory.

I think names, locations, phone numbers are sufficient. Let each florist negotiate the details amongst themselves.

Joe

I understand the points but ask you to please, please look at it this way...

We can create data for exclusive use by the 1000 or so FC members or take the very same info (minus a detail or two) and make it available to 300,000,000 North Americans. The info's the same - just accessible to a slightly larger pool of users. ;)
Joe Mioux said:
I think names, locations, phone numbers are sufficient.
We already have that. Just use Google and search '"zip code or city" site:http://realflorists.flowerchat.com/' and you can find any FC member currently listed in that town, postal code or zip.

That info's already on the blog. It would be easy to set up a site search from FC with the data we currently have (omitting the cartegory of 'discount on direct orders' detail).

Indeed - opinions do vary - and IMO we can garner the greatest benefit from a very time-consumering directory-building effort by sharing the information beyond the FC walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.