Not open for further replies.

rewolf

Pro Member
Jul 4, 2007
chatham
www.wildbunchstudio.com
State / Prov
MA
I was thinking to myself yesterday about FlowerChat and how much I value its existance and that I am a part of this Community. Then I realized I really don't know anything about FC -- how it started, who formed it, when was it created, how we are so lucky to have Ryan, etc... Like many of our flower shop websites, I wish there was an "About Us" or "History" button I could press. In this area, I would also like to see membership info like how to earn green dots and stay away from red dots, donation process, etc... I know it's all in this forum somewhere but I can't find it. Can someone direct me to the right area or tell me about our origin? Thank you.

I'll let Ryan supply the details. Suffice it to say florists demanded better :)

Uk Florists Also...

CLASSIC QUOTE BOSS..
Florist do demand better.

Back in 2002 we had "the Board that Shall not Be Mentioned" (BSBM) and the FTD bulletin board. BSBM was full of anonymous garbage and lacked for features. FTD's board had accountability, but was limited to FTD members, and had no means for expressing personality or character. There were a few other boards, but those were the major players.

I had used the vBulletin platform in other forums and knew how powerful it was. This industry has too much character to have everyone locked into one font with no images, profiles or pictures! As our FTD membership approached it's end (technically a 1 yr sabbatical) I made a quick decision to launch FlowerChat.

The day before the site went online I posted a message on the FTD board - the domain name hadn't even resolved yet (back then it took 24-48 hours or more), so I pointed to an IP as well. Not 2 minutes after I opened the doors to FC, Boss had signed up.

Over the years some of the prominent folks took some convincing to join - Mikey & Bloomz needed some cajoling, but quickly became two of our highest contributors. My friend Mikey was the first to join the admin team, followed by Boss & CHR, and more recently Jim.

The goal for FlowerChat was to create an environment where professionals in the floral industry could engage in conversation and discussion with the tools to be able to express their personalities.

Ryan

PS - We have some new things in store for the near future that will address some of your questions in a more direct manner - especially for new users.

And Ryan, this is the epitome of all boards. :) Great content, great features, but even better, greater people. :)

V

And Ryan, this is the epitome of all boards. :) Great content, great features, but even better, greater people. :)

V
And you know you're one of my faves :)

Funny too, how some of the more vocal members from years back, are today just lurkers...looking in often but saying nothing...

Not naming any names, but I see HERO was here...sure do miss debating with that A-S-S Clown ;)

The goal for FlowerChat was to create an environment where professionals in the floral industry could engage in conversation and discussion with the tools to be able to express their personalities.
I think you just found your mission statement!

I speak of Flowerchat occasionally to other friends, and they all wish they had a similar sounding board for their industries.

I'm glad to be here, part of these discussions!

tracy

Well I have to honestly say without my daily dose of this forum, my day would be rather dull! Not to mention when I joined I had only been in this industry for 3 years, so the knowledge and friendships established are worth more than you all can know. I see on the member list I have been here for a while, but I want you to know I joined when I was 21.

As our FTD membership approached it's end (technically a 1 yr sabbatical) I made a quick decision to launch FlowerChat.
:grovel:We are truelly lucky for your ability to be quick on your feet. You have created a dynamic site where the exchange of information is ever-flowing. Looking forward to the little surprizes you have in store for the new members.

I was thinking about Ryan's "historical" rendition of FlowerChat's infancy, and mused out loud, how long it's been since those early days, the friends we've made, the goofs we've encountered, the things we've shared, and how it still feels like yesterday!
Ryan has been an inspiration to us all, and without doubt, one of the most vocally "stabilizing" forces amongst his peer group, has attained a high self worth, and has made us ALL believe in people, friendships, honesty, graciousness, and above all, some semblance of honour amongst the florist world that we see today!!
There were even a few times, when some of us thought that things were about to unravel, Ryan "infinitely" stepped into the mud with us willingly, engaged his brain, and spoke so eloquently, as to silence, and calm a brewing storm, and was, and is, a one man "peace corps" in his own right!!
I've thought about this carefully...Ryan and FlowerChat, all it's admins, AND more importantly, all of it's contributing members/poster, have had a PROFOUND effect on the landscape of our industry today, MORE than you realize, probably MORE than HE realizes!!
FlowerChat IS the industry "standard" today, is the leader on the battlefield, and Ryan is The General, for whom we'd be somewhat "lost" had he NOT brought FC to fruition!!
I choose my friends carefully...it IS my honour to follow when asked, and lead, when needed, and listen ALWAYS.
Ryan and Janis are NOW listed n the Guinness Book of Records, as having the LARGEST "adopted" family in the world!!:>

Reactions: 1 person
the infinite one said:
FTD's board had accountability, but was limited to FTD members, and had no means for expressing personality or character.

whoaa, do not let toto find out you said this!

He was full of personality and character on the old FTD board until he got banned because he was willing to voice the truth. I learned much from the master toto!

boss said:

Funny too, how some of the more vocal members from years back, are today just lurkers...looking in often but saying nothing...

dang, I didn't know I was the master lurker?
I'm in the top 11.
I guess I was in the right place at the right time.

... and I still have not figured out how to frame a quote?

You can view a chronological list of members here. Impressive that so many who were here from the start are still active today. :)

With this sort you can tell who contributes (or at least posts) more, OR NOT, and it's a darn shame there are so many lurkers who don't post.

http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30

You can also notice one of the most verbal ones has nothing but red dots.

Yup his reputation blows up in here. You rip off OUR Cathy and we get downright hostile.

Thanks Boss for directing me over to the originating thread back in 2002. Who's idea was FC though? And, I haven't found that spellcheck that you were all talking about...:dunce

Where is this thread? I went into the member's list to read all the posts by Ryan, and they only went back to 2007? I would love to read some of the first chatting sessions!

I thought I was a fairly intelligent person, but it took me until August 2005 to discover FlowerChat...DUH!

Ryan and Admins...words can't express how grateful I am for FlowerChat! You are my ~FlowerChat Idols~!!!

boss said:

dang, I didn't know I was the master lurker?
I'm in the top 11.
I guess I was in the right place at the right time.

... and I still have not figured out how to frame a quote?
YEAH!!
How do you frame a quote?

I was a frequent viewer of the FTD forum in the past. I really missed it and am glad I found this forum.I am pretty new to the industry (5) years. I have a lot to learn. I just jumped in with both feet as I had never owned a business before, or even worked retail. What a ride its been. Would not trade a minute of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.