How Old Are You?

How Old are you and How long in floristry?

• Age 20-34

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Age 35-44

Votes: 44 24.9%
  • Age 45-49

Votes: 29 16.4%
  • Age 50-54

Votes: 29 16.4%
  • Age 55-64

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • Age 65-74

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Age 75-up

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • A florist for 5 years

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • A florist 6 to 10 years

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • A florist 11 to 20 years

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • A florist 21 to 30 years

Votes: 34 19.2%
  • A florist 31 to 40 years

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • A florist 41 to 50 years

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • A florist for more than 50 years

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
36 years old. Been in the biz since I can remember. Never worked anywhere else. Have some early memories of helping out (aka rasing hell) at my grandads and uncles shop and greenhouse... my Mom opened her own biz 26 years ago. I postponed college for a year after highschool to work at the shop, that was 19 years ago, and yea... never did do that college thing.

Now, that is interesting. Loved the photo.

So, do you still have Holland traditions in your home or family? Why did your family move to Canada?

Do you have a Dutch accent?

Carol Bice

Was only 3 yrs when we moved...so no accent, still eat several Dutch dishes, and as to moving to Canada I can only say I'm glad my parents took me with them and didn't leave me there to tend to the tulips by myself!!!

45 years old, 20 plus years in this industry, and until I "discovered" this industry.....I did everything from slinging burgers to making adult diapers.

Discovery of this industry came about because of my mom. I had studied ornamental horticulture in high school and college.....when she approached me with this provacative question " After you grow the plants, and flowers, what do you do with them.....how do you use what you have grown......besides just look pretty on a fence?"

She asked me that question, then showed me where she had enrolled me in a night course in basic floral design.......to learn a little bit about the end result......found out I loved this end of the industry and have never looked back.

Ok,
37 years old, I'll be 38 this year, but some days I feel 137.

been in biz since I was 12, so I'm working on my 26th year.

I wonder if It's too late to go to college and get a real career????

Shannon, its too late. Our careers found US!

I am also 37 but I started when I was 15...:musical:

I'm 38, will be 39 in a few months. Yikes! Been doing this since I was 21 and have had my shop for eight years. Am also dutch but been here since I was 12. Did go to Holland and worked there for half a year after I finished college for Commercial florist, yes actually took a course to do this. What was I thinking?:alcoholic

60 years old and 2nd generation in business 57 years. I've managed the shop for 16 years.:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

after reading all of these, I feel very, very, very old..well not so much!
Not born or bred in it but have been in it for a long time and seen many changes............Thanks Tom!

how old how long

I hate to say it but i am 44. have been doing this full time since after college when my father asked me if I wanted the business or if he should sell it.... so more than 20 years later we still run it and he threatens me every day that my kids will take it over. they are train to green, process and wait on customners at 8 and 10 years of age ( i pray the get good scollarships and head to harvard):thumbsup gosh i need to learn to use spell check!!!

I am thirty seven I have been in the industry for sixteen years and consider myself fortunate to work doing something I love and making people feel special. I really love what I do!

I'm 51 and have had my shop for 27 years.
Amazing how time flies.
For 27 years I have had the priviledge of a working a job I love and keeps me motivated.
I'm continually learning and evolving.

How blessed are we, who get to go work and love what we are doing?

Reactions: Annaleisa
I'm 27 years old and i have almost 4 years of experience. before that - nothing related to flowers - i was drawing cartoons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'm 32, been in the biz about 2 years-schooling and work experience...sigh...I want to get my hands on flowers!!! It was my 30th birthday that things became crystal clear to me and so I jumped right in. I dream of owning a shop one day, not too sure if it will happen due to hubby's career....even if I work in a shop as a designer that will fill me enough!
I wish I could fly out to some of you and take a working vacation just so I can learn!!

33 this year, 3 years in the business & owning the shop.

May have to close the shop after Valentine's this year, but will continue to do weddings & events out of studio instead of this storefront (giving birth to 3rd son soon and just can't handle storefront retail). Love to see brides' face light up when they see the wedding flowers, can not give that up just yet, not even w/3 young boys. Maybe when I face a complaining bride in the future, I might change my mind.

I'll be 40 next month and been doing this for 25 years. I have a 7 yr old boy who asked yesterday if he would have to do deliveries when he gets his license He doesn't want to. my 5 year old daughter told him that she'll be the flower lady when he gets that old and YES he will deliver and not crab. I think I should have hired a babysitter more often.

so far the average age in this poll is around 47.......i guess to some degree it quite reflects the average age in the industry......... quite a surprise for me........ just recently i read an article about Junior European Cup in floral design, i think it was for people under 25...... they were amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't even compare what they made with things i saw from 20 some year experenced all-knowing floral designers....... for some reasons i can't find any information on similar Cup here...... quite upsetting.... oh..... and Europe Cup this year.........(not junior!!)..... on the pictures i saw so many contestants under 40!!!!!!! i guess most of them were in their 32-39.... so.... why is it so different here??????

Status
Not open for further replies.