I give - can't do it any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider myself a veteran of message boards and I've found that I prefer the ones that require a minimum post count before gaining full access. The benefits are:

1) Improves the screening process
2) Stimulates message board activity (breaks the ice)

Reactions: 2 people
The interesting thing is, along the way I've become an alright designer. About half the photos under the Rosemont Weddings are of my work. I love wedding work.
And you've done a fantastic job featuring your shop's own designs on the site. :)

Somewhere along the line, we were asked that the "new people" refrain from the voting process so that those that have been on the board the longest had time to qualify the new people. Not sure if I was considered a new member of not, so I decided not to vote anymore cuz I haven't been a member too awfully long.
Please do ask questions and welcome new members. I'm not sure why new members were asked not to, but we need all the help we can get, IMO.

I think my main gripe is when I open Flower chat and someone asks such basic questions that should have been known or learned before ever thinking about being in the industry.
I don't like it either. It happens here and happens in the real world too with 'real' florists. Unfortunately, just because someone owns or works in a brick and mortar shop, doesn't mean they know what you or I would consider the most 'basic' of information.

I tend to just pass over the few questions that fall into that category.

I have noticed that. That's why I feel we need more new people with diverse background and experience.
Part of it is also that our interests are more diverse. The site was once very WS-centric and now you're seeing some long-timers moving away from discussing WSs and their issues and focusing more on brand development, marketing and advertising.

We also have more designer members :) and while I have no doubt those conversations are of little interest to some of the long-timers, seeing new design ideas and reading prop discussions is well within the scope of what florists do. The folks who aren't interested can put that forum on 'ignore'.

I.e., oldtimers basically run of new ideas/topics to talk about. Scary, isn't it? ;)
Maybe true. I also believe the new member apps have taken a chunk of what used to be conversation and discussion time for some of us.

I think that every post , I have read has hit the nail on the head,What gets me is that, I respect each and everyone of you, But there is this select few well, you know,,,,,,I relize everyone has to start somewhere, but it bites me to know end that we all struggle in biz in one way or another, I have some great freinds on here that I consider my family, and respect each and everyone of you. I know that we all may not agree from time to time, but that is what life is about to share our knowledge, everyday is a learning experience. But the hard part for me is to know that someone working out of there darn house, is taking business from each and everyone of you, also for us to be training someone to open there business is not right, I pay way to much taxes, and all the crapola that goes along with it, and pay top dollar for my product as all of you do, Then Betty or Bruce comes along gets on lists after lists to do all that we do, with out being legal, and then comes back with some darn smart arse answer,, How would you know what anyone of us goes throught, You really don't, because folks , I have seen what you put out there on tables, you don't have coolers, or any thing that goes with this business, and then you have them come to your house, and it is a darn hot mess, Well let me tell you this, it is not fair for all of us who have worked our arses off, to support you in what you do,,,,because it is wrong, yeah there is an elderly lady near my store that does flowers for her church, doesn't sell them or make a darn dime on them, she is 80 for gosh sakes, Some betty chic turns her in,that she is taking business from her, Well darlin you work in your house, and making money, She doesn't, So guess what darlin, She now comes in my store and makes them every week on me, Cause darlin, I respect her to no return that is what keeps her going every week, so get over it, and get your own stuff togeather, then do what you need to do, while the rest of us professionals don't do this for fun,but it is our profession, So on with your bad self. The reason for this is, you know who you are. So be very careful Karma has a way of coming back, and it bites real hard,,,,,
Sorry for the rant, it just had to come out,,,and this was the place to do it, and I have plenty more as I am sure all of us do, and I think we should have a rant section,,of what is bothering us...

Hugs to all of my true professional flower shop owners...

Reactions: 3 people
I consider myself a veteran of message boards and I've found that I prefer the ones that require a minimum post count before gaining full access. The benefits are:

1) Improves the screening process
2) Stimulates message board activity (breaks the ice)

I think that's the best idea yet.

Would eliminate the lurkers (takers only) and encourage giving to the community.

Well let me tell you this, it is not fair for all of us who have worked our arses off, to support you in what you do,,,,

Hugs to all of my true professional flower shop owners...

Absolutely agree - some of the stuff I share, or have shared, like stuff we learn from our consultant, is not only hard won and expensive experiences, but stuff I want to share only with a tight knit group of highly professional florists. It's like Carol stated, we pay to learn these things.

Cards are played lots closer to the chest now, not only by me.

Pay your dues and blow a Lexus or two like we have done to get those experiences - I see no reason to shortcut the process for, or save new florists those hard won lessons by posting things like this publicly...

I think that's the best idea yet.

Would eliminate the lurkers (takers only) and encourage giving to the community.

Absolutely agree - some of the stuff I share, or have shared, like stuff we learn from our consultant, is not only hard won and expensive experiences, but stuff I want to share only with a tight knit group of highly professional florists. It's like Carol stated, we pay to learn these things.

Pay your dues and blow a Lexus or two like we have done to get those experiences - I see no reason to shortcut the process for, or save new florists those hard won lessons by posting things like this publicly...

You are so right on this, as well, I just read a post that makes me sick to think that everyone on here was fooled by this person..and so darn mad about it...

Reactions: 1 person

Not only by you, as we've discussed on several occasions I too play them a lot closer to my chest. I share a fair amount but there are a lot of things I don't share publicly anymore.

But the hard part for me is to know that someone working out of there darn house, is taking business from each and everyone of you, also for us to be training someone to open there business is not right,...

Even if you are correct (which I don't think you are), you now have an opportunity to screen out anyone you don't like. If enough of people like you or Bloomz casted No votes, you could potentially block a certain group of people.

I wasn't here when the discussion about screening was going on, but it looks like a lot of people people demanded screening and they got it. I would never have agreed, but hey, this is demoracy. I do accept the opinion of the majority, even though I disagree.

Now, what is so strange to me is that the same people who demanded this screening are the ones who aren't voting, but are still complaining that screening isn't working. Makes little sense to me.

Now, what is so strange to me is that the same people who demanded this screening are the ones who aren't voting, but are still complaining that screening isn't working.
Many many times, I vote without posting a message on the intro thread. I don't believe you can adequately gauge who is voting based upon the posts in the introductions.

I think people have to pay their dues and even if some hobbyist comes on here and gleans info from us, they will still have a huge learning curve on their biz. We can't have that experience for them. Also I've noticed that if someone comes on here and only takes, rather than giving as well, they tend to get ignored and fade away. So, I don't think we have to police it so much. But I've only been on this forum a short time. :dunno:

I seem to spend half of my time here on this new member forum and am giving notice that I give up. I am resigning my position as faux gatekeeper.

If someone shows up that I need to know about, like particularly an astute order gatherer - someone please let me know. I gotta put this forum on ignore now before I go nuts (short trip - right around the corner)

OK - more nuts.

Last night I marked 185 unread posts as read - I hope I didn't miss something good.

And welcome everybody, and your dog, if you have one.

as matter of fact - here's some unasked for get aquainted advice - please pay particular attention to the last 3 sentences:

Jon, I count you as a friend and good business operator.

That said, I'm tired of having to deal with your mood swings and tantrums about how the board should be run, each followed by a threat of taking your ball and going home if you don't get your way.

You're a long time member - maybe you've lost some of the appreciation that some of the newer members still have. Either way, don't let the door hit you.

Ryan

That said, I'm tired of having to deal with your mood swings and tantrums about how the board should be run, each followed by a threat of taking your ball and going home if you don't get your way.

You're a long time member - maybe you've lost some of the appreciation that some of the newer members still have. Either way, don't let the door hit you.

Ryan

Didn't read my post or understand it apparently.

I seem to spend half of my time here on this new member forum and am giving notice that I give up. I am resigning my position as faux gatekeeper.

How do you construe that as taking my ball and leaving, or a tantrum, or a mood swing?

You also must not have read my post in your "it's required fields now" about my empathy for the problems you face, as well as the green dot for your efforts.

I said I quit with the trying to approve or disapprove new members, and tho it sounds like you would like me to leave - I don't have any immediate plans to. I simply put the new members forum on ignore.

I respect you as a business person too but also grow tired of you not allowing me my opinions without public criticism, insults, and/or attempts at embarassing me.

Now, nothing in my post was critical of you and the job you do here. I don't believe I have ever insulted you personally.

However...

Why was it I just knew when I saw you had responded to this post I knew before I clicked it it there was going to be some kind of insult involved?

PS - funny I gotten 6 green dots in agreement on this topic...

I guess...

opinions vary

Reactions: 4 people

Ryan
I probably should mind my own business, and I don't know much about any past mood swings or tantrums, but I think you may have interpreted JB's post the wrong way. I took it as he's just frustrated with the whole new member dealie and is taking a hiatus from the process. He's still going to be an active member of the FlowerChat. He's hinted at it in other threads as well. :dunno:

read the same in english,to an englishman..

I probably should mind my own business, and I don't know much about any past mood swings or tantrums, but I think you may have interpreted JB's post the wrong way. I took it as he's just frustrated with the whole new member dealie and is taking a hiatus from the process. He's still going to be an active member of the FlowerChat. He's hinted at it in other threads as well. :dunno:
That's exactly how i read it,no toys out of the pram were mentioned????
just an honest expression of feelings..

JB....it's OK...we "GOT IT"!!
Somehow, we all kinda "knew" that at some point, this thing was gonna evolve into a new life form, and FlowerChat has taken on a life of it's own, with SO much interest from the "outside" world, the numbers are certainly a little overwhelming!!
We ALL do what we can...YOU were VERY "specific" about a member "process"....

I probably should mind my own business, and I don't know much about any past mood swings or tantrums, but I think you may have interpreted JB's post the wrong way. I took it as he's just frustrated with the whole new member dealie and is taking a hiatus from the process.

JB's "problem" is that he is just too honest, or uncalculating. That's why he is popular here. :)

He could have just quietly ignored the New-Applicant thread without publicly announcing it. By announcing his decision, he chose to expose himself to the inevitable criticism that should be directed to not just him but also others who are doing the same thing (but without announcing it).

JB's "problem" is that he is just too honest, or uncalculating. That's why he is popular here. :)

He could have just quietly ignored the New-Applicant thread without publicly announcing it. By announcing his decision, he chose to expose himself to the inevitable criticism that should be directed to not just him but also others who are doing the same thing (but without announcing it).

I think the specific criticism would be justified if he announced he was leaving FlowerChat. But he didn't, he was only voicing his frustrations about the new member process. The only way you can spark change is if you speak up.

On the other hand, it is a difficult task in itself to run a successful message board, so to have members with a lot of influence instigate situations can be a headache.

I guess I'm the only one who has noticed quality dropping with quantity. :dunno:

Now, nothing in my post was critical of you and the job you do here.
Well then tell me who the 'drop in quality' shot was directed to, if not the Admin team? Those of us working in the background (and foreground) here every day take it very personally.

Declaring a process you were very specific in insisting FC adopt as now unworthy of your effort makes me shake my head.

funny I gotten 6 green dots in agreement on this topic...
I vowed yesterday not to come back to FC this weekend, but logged in anyway. Call me thin-skinned, but being one who has actively worked to increase membership and participation, I can't help but take remarks like that very personally.

We seem to have a bi-monthly or so declaration that FC is dropping in quality and 'good florists' won't participate anymore. (Was glad to see some of the moldie oldies jump into the forums this weekend.)

Thankfully, there are members here who use this space to try and get something accomplished, rather than worrying 'the wrong kind of people' might use their secrets.

This thread is making me sad. I'm watching arrows flying amongst good people with diverse opinions.

Personally I don't see a decline in quality of posts or people. As anywhere in life (real or on this board), variety in people will always be the way of it... thank goodness.

Jon, you know my feelings for you are true. I must admit to being surprised at your stance at the beginning of the thread because I do remember the reasons behind this whole voting process.

I also understand the frustration at the process when the potential applicants seem to be unable to follow basic instructions. It's a good thing I couldn't physically reach through the screen sometimes. Cyber murder anyone?

I've belonged to many volunteer organisations in my life. The same people always did the work. It didn't matter if it was Rotary, the Civic Committee, the Industry, Trade and Tourism Committee, the theatre committee, church (I did go back then), the BIA, etc. etc. etc.

Flowerchat is no different. The same people step up time and time again, whether they are administrators or really active posting members, or voters, it's the same bunch. I can't change that, nor can you or anyone else for that matter... it's up to the individual to decide to be a valuable cog in this great big wheel. I've never understood belonging to something where I wouldn't participate and hopefully make a positive difference. It then stands to reason that I have no real use for anyone who chooses to not participate in something where they've asked to be a member. I wonder if they even are full in their own lives... who knows.

There will always be lurkers. That's their choice. I'm not giving out great secrets here... no one is really. If information is required we all choose to share, or not. My personal gatherings from this board, are mostly character based. If I respect the character of the person, then I respect the advice.

I'm having a real issue at work at the moment and I could use some really good advice from some of you here... however, I'll not be posting the problem on here... rather I'll PM those I trust.

So that being said. This place will continue to grow. I'm ok with that. I will continue to participate in the voting process because that's such an important right in my life. I will continue to be frustrated by stupidity... I will continue and I do hope you do too Jon. However, if you decide to take a break from it that's alright too... you can always come back and be your good self.

Cathy, Ryan, Mark, Mike and any other admins I may have missed, thank you for your efforts on our behalf. We really are very grateful and certainly glad you stick yourselves out there regularly.

To the rest of us... keep on working hard to maintain this remarkable community... for that's what it is, a community with character and characters of all kinds.

V

Reactions: 9 people
This thread is very sad, indeed. I normally don't get involved in conflicts either and I would prefer to see matters like this discussed privately between the parties involved. When other uninvolved parties are present, your disagreement does not need to be a spectator sport. Avoid arguing in front of other uninvolved parties. Making a spectacle of the issue will most likely turn it into a power struggle. Neither one will want to lose or back down in front of any spectators. I urge you to settle this matter in a private discussion.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.