Announcement I was nearly duped into a wedding fraud. How you ask?

pnelker

Jul 21, 2009
Austin
State / Prov
Texas
I was nearly duped into a wedding fraud. How you ask?

I was contacted by a TTY operator from a man claiming he wanted to purchase 8 bouquets for his brother’s wedding, which was in about 10 days. He used the term bouquets but gave me large measurements for the requested items. He said someone would be picking them up so I only needed to make them. When I ask him wedding colors and flower preferences he ask if I had an email address and he would send me the info. I supplied my email.
His email came with size and price for each arrangement. He again said they would be picked up by a private shipper (I was thinking currier), (I thought this term was a little out of place but then again he had called table arrangements, bouquets so I figured he was a man and did not know the difference) and he ask for the total cost so he could pay using his credit card.

I wrote back asking for things like were these arrangements for tables/ alters / other locations of the arrangements, colors of the wedding dresses/linens and other questions. I explained that these answers would help me to pick the flower types and accompanying colors.

He wrote back answering most of my questions and asking what type of credit cards do I accept. At this point I had checked with suppliers and what he was wanting was not going to be available and I knew we had to talk (TTY or otherwise) over the phone to get everything decided and payment received before I could go further. I responded to his email asking that he call me between 1-2pm for us to talk as I had a morning appointment and would not be back until that time.

During my morning appointment he called. I took the call, through a TTY operator. I told him we could not get the large vases needed in time. While he was responding the TTY operator said to me…..”Don’t put a lot of work into this it is not a real order.” I ask what she meant and she said he does this all the time and then she proceeded to tell me how he was going to try and get me to do him a favor and put the shipping charges on a fraudulent credit card he would supply and then ask me for a favor. He would say that he needed me to put the shipping charges on the card too. Then would I send by way of Western Union or some other company the shipping company the money for the pickup and shipping.
I ask her if she knew this to be true why she connected his calls; she said that the FCC requires her to make the connections as this is the service her company supplies. I then said…”but you can tell me this”. She stated she could lose her job. When he came back on the phone he did exactly what she said he would do. Asking for this little favor etc. etc. etc. Of course I told him NO. I couldn’t do that and in fact I needed payment up front before buying anything. When she typed that in to the machine, she came back and said “He just hung up”.

Praise God he is our protector. I just wanted everyone in our business to know this is going on. Just in case you are tempted by the money he offers or the desire to help someone, at their last minute, tries to take you over. Remember we do what we do, in the order in which we do it, as good business practice. I’ve got to tell you, I was completely shocked that someone could run a scam and involve another company and that company could not refuse to participate due to some dumb law. This is wrong, very, very, wrong. I would never have done the favor he asked but thank God for an honest and caring TTY operator. May God bless her for her honesty!

Patricia Nelker
Butterfly and Roses
Austin, Texas

This is my first time at posting. I sure hope this helps someone.

This has happened to me before when we were in SC. It is a common scam. They guy I had also asked if I would buy some cell phones at Wal-Mart and include those with the order. NO!

Had one last week wanted my name so they could call me for and important project they had. I feel sorry for the people who really need this service. The TTY people need to put a stop to it somehow so the people who need this service can use it for what it is intended for.

I'm glad to hear the operator had the guts to tell you it was a scam call. I have told all the operators that have been duped into this TTY scam that they are using stolen credit cards, are fraudulent calls and are causing major problems for small businesses...... Their answer usually is "it's my job, but thanks"..... I was hoping that the phone companies would loosen their regulations and allow operators to not follow through on these types of things......

we've had this guy call a couple of times now. Last week, he called my florist friend in the next town over, after she hung up on him, they called us.

We just told the tty operator, we know this is a scam and we are hanging up, you can relay that to the caller.

thanks to FC, we be in the know as in NOOOOOOOOO

This exact scam happened to me when I first opened. It was sent to me by email. I thought I hit the jackpot order, as I asked more questions I became aware this was some sort of scam. When I first read these posts my jaw dropped. I told my husband to read this and his responce was: aren't you glad you followed your instincts. I can't believe some people!!! Atleast others can be aware of these scam's by reading this post!

This scam was reported on the news here.

V

We had a similar incident with a grifter who wanted to buy 30 dozen roses. My wife smelled a rat, and sure enough, the credit card company told her the card was stolen.

Welcome to the club....
As sneeky as these jerks are they are stupid, they have called us every week for the past 3 or 4....

Yes i Have recieved this alot . I finially told them it was a scam and don't call again.. watch out for the Rev William's email " About sending 1000 mylar balloon to Irac. "
and did he ask you to add an extra $500 to gift to give to the wedding party. in CASh of course. when he comes to pick up the flowers? And we thought the Order Gathers were bad.

Yes i Have received this alot . I finally told them it was a scam and don't call again.. watch out for the Rev William's email " About sending 1000 mylar balloon to Irac. "
and did he ask you to add an extra $500 to gift to give to the wedding party. in CASh of course. when he comes to pick up the flowers? And we thought the Order Gathers were bad.

no, it's a pretty even playing field between those two examples.....

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I probably get this call two to three times a year, and yes when I told the operator I knew it was a scam, and asked her how we could do something to stop it, she had no answers. She however agreed it was a scam. I am sorry to say when I get the calls now I almost always tell her that I am not receiving it because of past scam calls coming in this way. I always hope its never a legitimate call but then in 20 years of business for myself and others I have never received those calls until recently and the ability for callers to have access to that type of service has been around for years. She also told me that the call originated from an internet phone. Imagine that!

We've gotten this call many times as well. This has been going on for at least a year. The TTY people know about it, we've spoken to them but they can't assume that it's not legit. As soon as they say that they want a favor or that they need large pieces for a wedding, we tell them we need money up front and they hang up. Lorrie, Country Florist

Had the same happen here - I stupidly thought someone would do something so I took the Discover Card number and called their fraud line - explained it, they called their cardholder and said "its fraud" - when I asked if they needed emails, etc. to investigate they said no - not worth the time. I called the local police - they said unless I was out money and completed the transaction - no crime was committed. Better be on your game - this happens all the time and it seems the folks who could actually do something to stop or slow it down (credit card companies, law enforcement) have no interest. Be Careful

Our cafe close by to our shop had this happened yesterday. Wanted 200 lunches and gave him credit card (that was declined) . I asked him if there was anything about his business he shared with the caller. He said he gave out his business email.

What is the point? Are they just trying to check if the credit card works? Or are they trying to target the business some how?

Found these articles.
http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=19913
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1600852.shtml?cat=504

Reactions: anytimeflowers