I was Thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned at this one shop a certain type of one-sided designing; it's hard to describe but it is not flowers in front, greens in back, but kind of a 3 dimensional one sided. There are flowers on all sides but it is more prominent in front. It is not a design that radiates from the middle. I don't know if I'm making any sense. I will try to find a pic if no one knows what I mean.

Thanks RWK I will play with that design today I really love the movement but if it is not done right it looks terrible wonder if it could be tweeked to give a more modern style.

I think this is a wonderful idea!! I will play sounds fun and educational. Can someone explain Hogarths curve or provide a picture of one I hate making this design and would like to hear some mechanic tricks if anyone knows any??

Why would you even need to ever make one. I cannot imagine anyone even asking for one of these....

If I were to make one I would use scotch broom because it is bendy and callas to make the s curve and something round witha heavier weight to make the focal like gerberas, fugi mums or protea...

I can be difficult with stiffer materials to get that true s shape...

Hogarth Curve

Here's a few pictures of Hogarth Curve designs from one of our New Hampshire Association design classes.

• Named for William Hogarth, an 18th century painter.
  • "The Line of Beauty"
  • Two semi-circles - one line ascending, one descending
  • The two lines must appear to flow as one continus line, radiating from the dominant focal area.
  • Generally, either the ascending of descending line is dominant to the other
  • In it's truest form, the tip of the ascending line should be directly over the tip of the descending line.
Rick is right on - you need to have quite a bit of foam above the lip of the container.

We were rated not only on the aspect of the lines of the design, but our use of color (analagous? complimentary? monochromatic?), harmony & unity, proportion, etc.

Great thread guys!

Valerie

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 14
  • ann marshall - hogarth curve.jpg
    ann marshall - hogarth curve.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 17
  • pam conger hogarth.jpg
    pam conger hogarth.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 16
  • shana hogarth.jpg
    shana hogarth.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 16
  • laurel's hogarth.jpg
    laurel's hogarth.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 15
  • hogarth.jpg
    hogarth.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: 1 person
Why would you even need to ever make one. I cannot imagine anyone even asking for one of these....

If I were to make one I would use scotch broom because it is bendy and callas to make the s curve and something round witha heavier weight to make the focal like gerberas, fugi mums or protea...

I can be difficult with stiffer materials to get that true s shape...

You are right in one aspect - doubtful that one of these would be specifically asked for.......

however, there are places where this design would be appropriate and welcomed. For instance.....atop a mantle.....framing a portrait of the family patriarch or matriarch during the christmas season.......using some oriental short needle pine to frame the outline and then using some glass orbs and finials, perhaps some green faux cyms as the focal.

my point being, just because it may not be asked for does not mean you should not have it in your repetoire. It is my belief that if we rely on what our customers dicate to us as 'what they want" and not strive beyond that.....that neither we nor our customers will grow, be more adventureous, and have as our customer the uneducated and ignorant of a larger world of design. There is a certain truth to the design show adage " You have to show it to sell it " - however, I think it can be better phrased as "You need to know how to do it so you can show it when needed "

I hope this post makes sense the way I phrased it. it's not my intention to disparage anyone, and I hope this does not come across that way.

Limiting our design repetoire to "just what the customer asks for" limits us as artist so much.......to paraphrase a quote I heard while studying under Phil Rulloda - " If I cannot grow, then I cannot be happy, If I cannot be happy, then what else is there"

I know there is more surrounding that, but it escapes me.

I have used the Hogarth curve quite a lot.......take for example, the nautilus shell palm weave......there is one half of an s in the curvature of the spine.....two placed opposite each other on a horizontal plane......what a great base to build on, or a tall elegant vase......used for sympathy.......making it tall, slender, with some gorgeous focal.....one on either side of the cremains urn........what a fitting tribute from a loving family.

Reactions: 3 people
Oh that line of beauty and William Hogarth, take me back to school!!!!
I loved that curve!

Why not start a thread for each element and principle under the design section, than everyone could just contribute to whichever area they like, have pics of, want to find out about or are into more, for example I love texture and juxtaposition, grouping/playing with them in my hand-tieds, others are into line, harmony, whatever etc. It is a topic worth a few treads I think.

Here's a few pictures of Hogarth Curve designs from one of our New Hampshire Association design classes.

• Named for William Hogarth, an 18th century painter.
  • "The Line of Beauty"
  • Two semi-circles - one line ascending, one descending
  • The two lines must appear to flow as one continus line, radiating from the dominant focal area.
  • Generally, either the ascending of descending line is dominant to the other
  • In it's truest form, the tip of the ascending line should be directly over the tip of the descending line.
Rick is right on - you need to have quite a bit of foam above the lip of the container.

We were rated not only on the aspect of the lines of the design, but our use of color (analagous? complimentary? monochromatic?), harmony & unity, proportion, etc.

Great thread guys!

Valerie

ALL those arrangements are gorgeous.....Kudos to the designer/ students.

Feel free to print this out - I use this as a handout for classes and garden clubs.

Val

Attachments

• Elements and principles.doc
    30 KB · Views: 30
Why does the curve always goes up-left, down-right? This is the way I learned it also but tried it the opposite and for some reason, it didn't work for me. Is it because that is the way we learned and are brain washed that way or our brain just doesn't receive it well?

just because it may not be asked for does not mean you should not have it in your repetoire. It is my belief that if we rely on what our customers dicate to us as 'what they want" and not strive beyond that.....that neither we nor our customers will grow, be more adventureous, and have as our customer the uneducated and ignorant of a larger world of design. There is a certain truth to the design show adage " You have to show it to sell it " - however, I think it can be better phrased as "You need to know how to do it so you can show it when needed "

You are so right and you can use Hogarth in all sorts of designs..try a bridal cascade where you follow the S curve line down the cascade, use it in a casket spray, take a birds'eye view of it. or on a spray on an easel etc.etc...and I agree with you..know how to show how, and all these styles always come back into fashion...eventually.

I do actually recall doing a wedding bouquet back in about 98, wired and taped with gardenias that was a take on a Hogarth, limited greenery, elegant and classy, wish I had pics.

One day MS will "discover" the curve and voila, you'll be glad you know it.

A combination of both - technically, it can work that way. but our brains don't percieve it as beautiful.

To that end, there is a wonderful book.....that captures the explainations of how we see beauty........ it is called "SEARCHING FOR DESIGN - by DAN HARWELL

As one single arrangement it doesn't work as well, but when you use two, opposite in design they work together.

I think it is mostly that our eye percieves it as more balanced.

That was never my favorite design style, so I guess it is why I never would do it without being asked...

My personal favorites have always been the L shape and The inverted T and parralel for one sided arrangements....

I will have to try to make a few and see if I can renew my fondness for them. They are a very fluid and graceful design with a very natural ability to move the eyes where you want them to go...

Taken with my camera phone but this my shot at! It was actually very pretty our sales staff loved it.

Attachments

• 0717081128a.jpg
    0717081128a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: 2 people
Very pretty Brad!
Great rhythm!
Thanks for the photo.

GORGEOUS ARRANGEMENT _ I also sent you a PM critiqueing the design as though it wer submitted during the AES.

Worked with a gal a few years ago that LOVED the Hogarth curve, almost every design she did was that one. I used to LOVE the waterfall arrangement style, hardly do them anymore now. We do stylized designs quite a bit, looks pretty classy, but we try to make sure and change it up with just vase arrangements and other newer styles.

Is there a name for the design that has a cluster of say iris straight up in the middle and low clustered flowers surrounding the bottom rim all way 'round? Another gal did this one quite a bit too. I like it but get tired of it quickly.

Trish

This has been a very inspiring thread. Not only can this be done in fresh but also in permanents as well, would look great on a mantel.

Why does the curve always goes up-left, down-right? This is the way I learned it also but tried it the opposite and for some reason, it didn't work for me. Is it because that is the way we learned and are brain washed that way or our brain just doesn't receive it well?

I know there is a good psychological answer to your question, but, I can't explain it. I hope someone can find out more because I find this interesting.

I think everyone sees things differently and like a right handed person or a left handed person....they might do the hogarth in different directions because it feel or looks right to them.

Many years ago, I was on a panel at a show where they gave each of us the same product and each segment of the show was given a particular design style. When they gave us the hogarth, about half the designers designed right to left and the other half did the opposite. Same thing happened when they told us to do an L shaped design.
I guess that is why you can usually tell whose work you are viewing...because everyone sees through different eyes and we all seem to have a signiture in us.

Carol Bice

Status
Not open for further replies.