I was Thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzynrprincess

Oct 18, 2006
Beautiful Lake Gaston
State / Prov
NC
While I was making an arrangement today I was thinking about the elements and principles of design. It sparked a little idea and I am wondering what you all think about it?
Is there any way that we could have a thread (or there may be one already) devoted to the elements and principles of design that we could say spend a month on each discussing and sharing photos and ideas about the specific element or principle and then move on to the next? I like to hone up while it is slow in the summer and really focus. I would really like to hear and see how everyone else interperates our "rules".

Reactions: 3 people
I have a comment on design. I am currently interviewing for a new part time person, when I interview, I have them each make a design of thier choice to retail at $50. So far, they all seem to be making them one sided. I was always told to turn the vase as I was designing to avoid this. I'm wondering if this is just not really being taught or if it is just the nervousness of the applicant. Anyone....?

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone....?
Well you did say anyone...

I've always wanted to (never have) apply at some other shop and when it comes time to do a design or two... do something over the top... kind of Gregor Lersch sstyle just to see the owners reaction ;)

But to your point, are you asking them to do a vase (=all around) ?

I would assume they are doing a cut for it to be one sided.

A vase doesn't have to be turned to finish the backside. I have never turned a vase, just learned to do it that way and the arrangement is complete on all sides.

Some shops also make vases that are more or so onesided, I don't know why because they look totaly unfinished. I see a lot of that in the next town over from us.

Maybe they are not sure what you are looking for.

Well, I'm looking for creativity and a good sense of what a $50 arrangement should look like. Years ago when I applied at Bachmans that is exactly what they had me do. The only criteria was it needed to be, I think it was $35, in any container, in any style, with any flowers.
Imtimidating? maybe but thats the challenge. So, I deliberately do not ask for anything specific. I do think for me, at first anyway, turning the vase to inspect from all sides works pretty well but now my natural inclination is to do all around work in almost all vases unless it is for sympathy work or is specified to be all one sided. What am finding is that the "fresh out of floral design" students are going towards the one-sided sort of "old school" look, I suppose they want to keep it safe,
in case I freak out like Chef Ramsey or something.

I have found that many applicants, fresh out of a second rate design school tend to make designs like they would do in a grocery store. These schools don't have enough money to let them make anything more than a basic carnation or pom pom arrangement. Thus, they never learn to make one that would satisfy a good florist.

I really hate to see would-be designers pay money for Vo-tech classes, or a sub-standard class taught by a teacher that couldn't make it in the industry....so, they teach.

In these classes, they are never taught to do a really nice bouquet like we expect. There are a few really good design schools and a lot of really bad ones. The bad ones teach more one sided arrangements because they are much cheaper to make.

Also, I use a rotating cake plate to make all my designs on so I can continually turn them for an even look. Buddy made me a superduper one that will hold about any type design I make. I work better and faster because of this tool....but, I can't seem to convince the other designers to try it.....except a few that I have taught and have won the state designer of the year.

Carol Bice

I have a comment on design. I am currently interviewing for a new part time person, when I interview, I have them each make a design of thier choice to retail at $50. So far, they all seem to be making them one sided. I was always told to turn the vase as I was designing to avoid this. I'm wondering if this is just not really being taught or if it is just the nervousness of the applicant. Anyone....?

sounds like an inexperienced designer.

To be fair, one person's view of a fifty dollar arrangement can be diametrically opposed to someone else.

V

I think Carol's comment was valid. I don't even know anyone who makes one sided arrangements (besides large altar pieces) but a vase? Sounds like they took some sort of a class and figured they'd get a job as a designer (based on the info given)

While I was making an arrangement today I was thinking about the elements and principles of design. It sparked a little idea and I am wondering what you all think about it?
Is there any way that we could have a thread (or there may be one already) devoted to the elements and principles of design that we could say spend a month on each discussing and sharing photos and ideas about the specific element or principle and then move on to the next? I like to hone up while it is slow in the summer and really focus. I would really like to hear and see how everyone else interperates our "rules".
I think this is a wonderful idea!! I will play sounds fun and educational. Can someone explain Hogarths curve or provide a picture of one I hate making this design and would like to hear some mechanic tricks if anyone knows any??

Chez you rock!! How do you set your mechanics when you make them especially when they have to be more floral in order to get your curve.

Well Brad, I'm afraid I do not really rock as I totally stole that picture off the internet. We will have to wait for someone who rocks the Hogarths curve to tell us. I too would love to know. My only guess is discrete wiring perhaps?

A young coworker asked me today how I knew how to arrange. So the rest of the day I really thought about principles and elements and how they guide us in our creativity.
Principles being...
Balance
Proportion
Rhythm
Unity
Harmony
Emphasis
Elements being...
Line
Space
Color
Form
Texture
The above should be second nature to a designer but sometimes are lost in the shuffle.
I also love the Hogarth Curve. Some think it is "dated" but I feel this style is timeless.

I want to understand this...are you saying the designer only stands on one side of the vase, but designs it all the way around? or Is it that it is completely one-sided with flowers to the front and foliage to the back?

If it is the latter, I am not suprised. Most of the wire services have many many arrangements that are only one-sided with the greens to the back. I think this is to get more of a larger look by using fewer flowers.

I have them each make a design of thier choice to retail at $50. So far, they all seem to be making them one sided.
A "one-sided" arrangement has a higher percieved value than an all-around one since all the flowers are oriented in the viewer's direction.

If you're laying in a hospital bed, you can only see one side of the arr, and the back of it is usually facing a wall. Why make it all around if the flowers can't be enjoyed?

Unless a centerpiece or all-around is specified, most of our vase arr's are oriented to the front, especially the ones at lower price points and the tall designs. (Of course, they're finished in the back.)

IMO it's a good idea to ask the customer...

Reactions: 2 people
I have to agree with Cathy - Also, it might be more beneficial to tell the newer designer applicants at least a general type of design, style, or occasion. If I were coming in to apply and was just told to make a 50.00 value design ( without any suggestion or indication of how the design would be used or by whom ) I would do a formal-linear type design because that is what I personally like.

mechanics on a hogarth curve design - A true form hogarth is not easy to make - however, you can relax the curvature a bit by just using flexible, thumb curvable materials like bells of ireland that have a natural curve, or scotch broom ( can be curved easily ) or liatris - again can be curved fairly easily....to set your lines.

the biggest problem with a hogarth curve is the people have the foam cut too close to the lip of the container......you need a good amount of foam above the container to adequately hold the downward placements

I have a theory on one sided , you get one when you born and one when you die, I hate one-sided arrangments unless they are way highstyle ones, and also I have seen lots of them lately, must be running a sale on them,,LOL sorry, on the Hogartha, as we call it, heavens I haven't heard that term in years, Dang I must be getting old,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.