I was Thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.........Is there a name for the design that has a cluster of say iris straight up in the middle and low clustered flowers surrounding the bottom rim all way 'round...............Trish

Yes Trish, the arrangement you describe is a phoenix style design. It is defined as a low compact arrangement with a vertical burst of materials emerging from the center.......so named after the mythical bird.....which is said to rise triumphantly from a mound of it's own ashes.

The phoenix design is a style that I like as well, it gives the recipient a maximized visual value and fits in most any decorating scheme - from the most staid traditional to the most ultra modern.

Great thread! I thought the reason I always see them with the left high and not the right was due to the fact that we read from left to right but based on Carol's post, I guess not. :)

Had a wire order multiple years ago that wanted something non-traditional and this is what we sent. Hope the family loved it because it was beautiful. Only time we have ever sent one to a funeral though.

Wanda

I guess you could call one of our "signature" sympathy designs we get requests for is a hogarth base. Usually done with bells, lilies and/or gerbs for focal but done as an easel spray so it's not specifically hogarth. But you definitely see the hogarth influence in the spotlighted flowers. It is one we get requests for mainly due to the colors and swirls...

ok, I am a nut case. I love the hogarth (learned it as the Line of Beauty) But how do you keep the bells to continue in the curved design. because after a few days they tend to revert back at least in my experience. Am I doing something wrong?

a problem with all phototropic flowers...there probably isn't a good answer without wiring.......

we always avoid the one-sided vase style by beginning with a hand tie before dropping into the vase and then tweaking it.

ok, I am a nut case. I love the hogarth (learned it as the Line of Beauty) But how do you keep the bells to continue in the curved design. because after a few days they tend to revert back at least in my experience. Am I doing something wrong?

Our visitations have been usually one long 4-8 pm and funeral the next day. Not much goes to the church but directly to the grave.

Ohhhh don't get me started on hand tieds! I have a bit of an addiction!!!!
It is kind of freakish but I love the way they feel in my hand!:redface2: When we have flowers a little past their prime in the cooler I tie em up and give them away to passerbys on the street!

Personally I don't think one sided vase arrangements are "washed up". If the design is done right, a $50.00 arrangement one sided can look spectacular and because you are only using one side and not attempting to fill it all the way around the flowers go a long way. We call this " Perceived value" It looks like more when it's not. I have NEVER gotten a complaint about a one sided arrangement. I also don't agree that it is a sign of design weakness, unless it ends up looking like a greened up Christmas tree with flowers stuck in it.
If it is a large vase arrangement the chances of that ending up on a dining room table is slim...it will be moved to a mantle or something larger where there is more room and it will become a focal point somewhere.
I agree that you should specify "all around" so they know what you are looking for. I don't know about the rest of you but professionally trained floral designers are very, very hard to find. Becoming a dying breed as alot of colleges have phased out that part of their Agriculture program.
You can guide someone with talent....I'd look for really good "potential"

Percieved Value? I am not attacking here I just hate that phrase as everyone has a different idea on what percieved value is ,ask all your designers and I bet you get all different answers.
I also believe that floral designers are out there and are not a dying breed it is flower shops as we know them that are becomming the dying breed .I hear more and more stories of florists just wanting to do events and work from home why bother with lost holidays, wire services, employees, mortgages ......that is where the good designers are going there will always be people with a passion for flowers that will seek out knowledge to learn how to make a living doing what they love.
Just my opinion Respectfully-Brad

Reactions: 1 person
Brad,
I just meant having something look like more when it really isn't. which you can accomplish with the right design...and I do appreciate your opinion.
I agree designers are gravitating toward event work as freelancers. I have to say that as a retail florist in a town of approx 1,500 people, my everyday customers are my bread and butter. It makes me feel really wonderful to provide service to these people who CARE that I succeed.
Do I love my big events, yes. But the chances of me ever coming across those people again, ever, won't happen.
When I decided to open my own shop 8 months ago, I got GREAT rent an awesome space. I decided Im not dealing with wire services...don't belong.
I don't bill (only to business's and schools who must voucher). So I did make some decisions that have saved me a ton of headache and expense.
Haven't gotten any flack from people when I say I don't do house accounts, they understand completely. I don't believe that anyone in a luxury business should have to wait for their money.
So far, so good here, only time will tell.

Principles and Elements

I've loved the discussion on this thread, but I'm also eager to get back to the original question.

Maybe BOSS could start a new FORUM for threads on Principles and Elements?

There is SO MUCH to be learned and it is so useful.

We already have a forum for Design. Feel free to start a thread there on Elements & Principles - whether you start a new one for each topic, or keep a long one running, I'm sure it will be popular.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.