Not open for further replies.

Tonimarie

Jan 2, 2008
carle place
State / Prov
ny
Business: 1800flowers.com/PurchaseNet

Type of Business: retail florist/wholesaler/wireservice

About Me: I am the floral buyer for 1800flowers.com and the PurchaseNet wholesale site which provides fresh flowers to member florists

Reactions: 1 person
Toni... Welcome to FlowerChat....you should be able to offer a different point of view, based on your current employer.

Be advised some here will not take kindly to "your employer" and remember it has nothing to do with you personally...

(And I suggest FC members keep that in mind as well)

Thanks Boss!! I am well aware of the connotation that my position carries, and hope that it does not impede on any information that I can offer to members, be it regarding the POV of my industry, or inquiries abt flowers in general. I am here to help, and to learn.... let the fun begin!!
:grovel:

Welcome

Toni... Welcome to FlowerChat....you should be able to offer a different point of view, based on your current employer.

Be advised some here will not take kindly to "your employer" and remember it has nothing to do with you personally...

(And I suggest FC members keep that in mind as well)

Wisdom well stated Boss !

Welcome to FC ToniMarie

Hello neighbor
Veggies mostly, annuals in season and perennials when we're on our game.
Took a bit of time off this past season as the shop was so busy.
Should be back in full swing though this coming season if all goes as planned.

Looking forward to your input and contributions.
This should definately be interesting !
It's good that you appear to have an open mind and attitude.

By the way, Happy New Year !

ManorMan

Happy new year to you as well!
As far as the open mind goes, since I buy for all facets of the floral world (retail as well as wholesale) I try to keep my eyes open to better understand the plight of the florist! I am their competition as well as their supplier... and they are my customer as well as my competition, tricky boat to float in! Same thing when it comes to wholesalers, I buy from them for one end of my spectrum, and try stay competetive to their prices on the other.... woah is me!!:tread:

You may indeed be able to give us some different viewpoints. As BOSS cautioned though.......there are aspects of Bloomnet/1-800-flowers.com that will draw heavy fire.

Welcome to Flowerchat.

Tonimarie, welcome to this great site. I admire your honesty and look forward to hearing your point of view.

Happy New Year!

V

Happy new year to you as well!
As far as the open mind goes, since I buy for all facets of the floral world (retail as well as wholesale) I try to keep my eyes open to better understand the plight of the florist! I am their competition as well as their supplier... and they are my customer as well as my competition, tricky boat to float in! Same thing when it comes to wholesalers, I buy from them for one end of my spectrum, and try stay competetive to their prices on the other.... woah is me!!:tread:

Welcome aborad from South Fla...sounds like your position is like rowing a boat...paddle to the left then try and paddle to the right...not an envious position.....again welcome aboard...get out your steel underarmour...it sometimes gets tough in here....lol
Sher

Thanks Boss!! I am well aware of the connotation that my position carries, and hope that it does not impede on any information that I can offer to members, be it regarding the POV of my industry, or inquiries abt flowers in general. I am here to help, and to learn.... let the fun begin!!
:grovel:

you NEED NOT be "squeamish" about your "boss"....no use "apoligizing" for a company that DIRECTLY COMPETES against it's paying members!!
Welcome to FlowerChat (in all sincerity)...hope you have skin, a little on the "thick" side!!

Hey, where ya been ?
Been looking forward to reading your posts !

I've been planning vday and getting all of the product ready for our purchasenet prebook which will begin to ship february 6th to our shops.

it's looking to be a very interesting holiday this year. Our roses flew off the shelves so to speak. Hope that is a good indication on how the holiday will be for florists. Everyone will have plenty of product! Now its all up to sales. Shops seem to be very optimistic which is great. you cant make money unless you have the flowers, and its always better to be over prepared rather than short.

. you cant make money unless you have the flowers, and its always better to be over prepared rather than short.

If you're talking about having flowers in stock - sorry to disagree it's better to be short than overstocked when it comes to expensive VD roses.

Been there done that and didn't even get a stinking t-shirt, but I did get to eat thousands of dollars worth of roses. More than we made on the "holiday" profit.

Well differences in oppinion make the world go round I guess. I know that when it comes to Purchasenet I'd rather take a hit with extra product over telling a shop I cant get it for them. I'd love to be sold out at the end of a holiday but I am always left with a few cases of most of my line. I usually buy 10-15% more than projected sales on roses and carns and Lilies, and then about 7-8% on secondary focals as well as fillers.

I stagger the shipments so that I am always shipping fresh product, and this way what i am left with still has some life on it, at the end of the week though, if its a loss, I chalk it up as atleast i didnt say no. Do I loose out, yeah every once in a while, but never by more than 5 or so cases of each variety.

Though to a shop I am sure that hurts a lot more, than it does to a wholesaler. And don't worry, I'm not gonna pull that "you can always just have a sale" card that you may hear from consultants, reps or customer service, because, trust me I understand that a depletion sale can wind up costing you money in the long run, between labor, advertising and the fillers you would need to use to create bqts with all those extra roses, unless you just sell them with out greens/gyp/wax or the like, but then again, its still the labor of cleaning, the cost of designing and such.

But like I said, what works for me may not always be good for a shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.