My visit to FTD headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarb

Oct 31, 2002
Northern CA
State / Prov
California
Just got back from Downers Grove last night. Well actually 1am this morning. I attended a meeting with the Executive Management team and 9 other florists from around the country. It was really quite an experience. The meeting was for a day and a half, with the majority of the time being an open forum. Unlike most of the corporate meetings that I have attended in my life where there was a lot of butt kissing going on, this was not the case here. Of course none of us (the florists) work for anyone in FTD so we did not have to worry about what we said. The discussions were very open and honest.
I think that some of the things that we FTD florists are going to be seeing in the near future are very positive. Some of the new products and programs are going to be great.
I do believe that the FTD management are trying to correct problems and improve service. Of course we will have to wait and see but I left the meeting with a whole new perception of what FTD is all about and what they are striving to be.

So if any TF reps are reading this, here is your chance to invite the meeting attendees to TF headquarters (those of us that are also TF members) and give us your side of the picture ;-)

Jim

How did oyu get picked to go there Jim?
I hope what you say is true, because lately I am really questioning myself with FTD. Time will tell.
Luc

Luc,
To tell you the truth I don't know exactly why I was picked. There was a pretty diverse group of Florists there. Possbily due to the posts that I have put up and some of the conversations that I have had with various people at headquarters.
As you know from some of my previous posts, I have had some experiences with FTD that I was not all that happy about myself. I really do think that they are trying to rectify these problems. One thing that I really did get from the Exec team is that if there is a problem and you do not feel that it is being handled correctly or efficiently, to give them a call directly. Obviously they would prefer that we take the proper channels first but if that does not work, then go to the head of the stairs so to speak.

I can tell you that most of the Exec team reads the FTD message board on a regular basis and even though they do not post them selves they are all very aware of what is being posted on that board.
Jim

I think that YOU were picked because,

you belong to a "core" group of professional florists that OPENLY expresses your views, and displeasures, WITHOUT the constant threatening that "I'm gonna leave if I don't get this or that!!" syndrome.
The people at FTD have heard it all, many times, and are NOT the least bit interested in threats, or unwarranted finger pointing, BUT, I CAN TELL YOU, that FTD WILL be the leader once more, it WILL make the mistakes that the other guys are afraid to make, and FTD WILL be here tomorrow...ESPECIALLY with input from the likes of yours,and other professional florists' talents and front line experiences!!
FTD DOES LISTEN...and they're GONNA prove it to you...
GOOD JOB JIM!!
Mike

I'd like to echo what Mikey said...FTD does listen...but sometimes being the size that it its, makes for slow change, but change none the less...

I am glad to see that they are still doing the "bring em in and listen" thing...something that came out of one of our Advisory Board meetings....

I believe they do this, once at convention, and one other time a year, perhaps more....

I know our board, meets face to face once or twice each year, and we conference call after every holiday...and on other occassions.

Glad to hear you got "picked" Jim, I could tell ya why, but then I'd have to kill ya :)

All my best....

Mark Smith
FTD National Advisory Board
FTD Advantage Technology Advisory Board

Well Boss, maybe I finally have something over on you, your name came up in several conversations but I ain't tellin...:p

One of the more detailed descriptions of you was rather interesting though;)

Jim

I always said the main reason I was hanging around was to see what was going to happen next!
Boss has been saying all along what Jim has said here too, that good things are coming, so we're ready!
Rock on

Hmmmmmm....

Depending on who you were talking to, I can pretty much guess what they said...

Anywhere from "He's the BEST" to "He's the BIGGEST PAIN in the AS*" there is....:D

Is that close Jim ?

We're always waiting for the next big thing ... hanging on for vague promises of "good things to come" seemed like a waste of money on a bad gamble. Before putting down another dollar, we looked at the nag we were gambling on.

;) Besides ... You can leave now, wait for the good stuff to actually happen, and come back with a free membership, right? ;)

<Just a joke, no one get mad!>

Mighta been a joke Ryan, but it's probably true!!! Rock on

Jim,
Since you where there live in person, my next big question is
Was there any canadian florsit there, so they can get our input on things? For me that means something.
As for posting on the board, I had a talk with my field rep yesterday. He was disappoionted in me that I posted on the board first before i talked to him.
He had called about a day earlier, but I wasnt able to talk to him because I was all alone and serving a customer. I did tell hiim i had concerns but he told me to e-mail him with details. It was like he was concerned but not enough for him to call me back in 30 minutes to find out more which resulted in me posting ont he board and e-mailing Bob.
Yes I got better result when I post on the board then phoning sometime.
Luc

Somehow this reminds me of Gerald Stevens. Many former GS florists would have meetings several times a year with management and come away with great feelings about the future. They were wined and dined and the future was always rosy and the mistakes of the past would be fixed. Upper management "seemed" to be listening to the florists who had been there done that. While things like picking out containers, designs for holiday, etc., florists input seemed to work. But, many other things florists input didn't get very far. Quite often changes were made after these meetings- including things that were never brought up. Things florists weren't aware of and had the least input were the very things that bombed.
While upper management were giving themselve big bonuses and raises, they were cutting back payroll and freezing pay increases to the average worker.

Sounds a lot like present day FTD. Just about everytime there is an advisory meeting I can count on FTD comming out with something stupid that the advisors were not aware of AND just about everytime FTD shoots itself in the foot. Sooner or later florists are going to find out about these decisions. Why not tell florists upfront?

I'm not questioning the things FTD may act on from these meetings with florists like Jim just came back from, but it's what FTD does that WASN'T discussed in these meetings gives me cause for concern.

These meetings can make a florist feel like they are part of the team, while in the back room FTD can be cooking up free memberships, VNS roll-ins, Yellow Page ads, etc, etc. This list just keeps getting longer and longer. ALL without florist input.

FTD has and looks to have some great things lined up. It's just seems like for every good thing FTD does it does two dumb things (usually without florists input).

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to rain on your parade.

Now that you mention it, sounds a bit like an MLM scam - Amway, and the like.

You are CHOSEN and INVITED to special meetings, told of wonderful possibilities and a rosy outlook.

All for the low, low price of ...

But then, FTD's free now, isn't it.

My,My Ryan....

we ARE a sourpuss today aren't we??
Do you have ANYTHING good to say about ANYBODY today??
I'm NOT an Amway dealer or anything, but, usually a "scam" is just that, and I don't think either Amway OR FTD is any kind of scam...or did I misinterpret your harangue today??
Mike:confused:

No body is raining on my parade. It does'nt make one bit of difference to me one way or another. I can say though that this was anything but a wine and dine meeting. The majority of the meeting was the 10 of us telling the FTD team what we think needs to be improved. There were a few times there where I actually felt sorry for them. When Michael Soenen asked the group what it was that we did not like, boy did he get an earful.

In FTD's defense however, at least they have advisory board meetings and they bring in member florists for meetings like this. I have never seen TF do this. I have been a TF member for a lot longer than I have FTD and other than being a send and receive function for me, they do absolutely nothing else. No advertising, no market place, no advisory boards. So yes, FTD has it's faults, they all do but at least they seem to be making an attempt to make improvements.
Just my opinion.
Jim

Jim, you make a very good point. TF, someone correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't have an advisory board. Yes, I know they have product and computer advisory boards, but that's it.

I think the advisory boards FTD has are great, so long as there are constructive results that come from these meetings. I remember several years ago a friend a mine was on the holiday product advisory board. He spent 3 days at hdqtrs with other florists going over the upcoming xmas specials. They came up with what looked like a great xmas line. Several months later when the xmas flyers came out the xmas line was nothing like what was discussed in the meetings. This advisor was so fed up with such waste of time and quit. Needless to say, that years xmas line was a bomb. So much for florist input.

And of course, it's also what FTD does outside of these meetings that they don't tell florists. Seems to me it would be better to swallow the bitter pill and keep the advisors abreast of what's going on instead of FTDer's findiing out about these fiascos on a messageboard ala the freebie membership thing.

Just my thoughts.

Re: now THAT was a REALLY CONSTRUCTIVE...

Originally posted by Mikey the Flower Guy
way of putting things Dean....good job!!
Mike

Second that !

As to the product thing Dean, that was Tamaras gig then...she got canned, and for very good reasons, just like you mentioned...

Status
Not open for further replies.