OOOOOOh that SMELL !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took music lessons for years - church organ, clarinet, saxophone, oboe... from the time I was in grade four until grade 12 - every year I got to hear Christmas Carols played poorly. Killed it for me.

Now I get to work here, where they start playing Christmas tunes in mid-November. If I got my way, two days worth, max.

Audra

One of my greatest joys was singing in the Collegeum Musicum, the K-W Philharmonic choir, the University choir etc...(vocal music was a major for me)...I loved the Christmas season of music. The prep was long and arduous yes, but the results were goose bumpy for me. Being in retail now, the feelings aren't quite the same...perhaps because I'm not involved anymore...of course the venue makes a big difference. ;)

Glue-Gloves-Greens-and carols.

Glue - never used anything but a glue gun until about three and a half years ago. I got a new electric frying pana nd hated to throw out the old one. We decided to try the glue pot thing and never went back. We were glue gun addicts, too. Problem was that the darn glue guns just did not last, not even the expensive ones. Just stinks a little, but no biggie.

Gloves! I wear the white latex gloves to green in when using Christmas greens and that entire problem went away. The gloves are easy to get used to and not I forget I have them on. I can still answer the phone and write, etc.

You learn something new all the time here. Never knew florists stored their pre-greened arrangements in freezing weather. makes sense I guess. Our cooler is sufficient for our small volume, but I will keep it in mind.

I love listening to Christmas songs from morning to night and from about now until Christmas. I have a large collection of tapes and CD's. some of the tapes are really old, but so cool. I don't much like the traditional sound, but certainly love the traditional songs about our Savior's birth and all it means. I have a really neat rocked up version by the Beach Boys and a couple old tapes with the Celtic sound that are great. I am one of those people who can put on a tape or CD in the morning and listen tothe same one over and over and not even realize I am doing it. My husband finally changes it because it drives him crazy.

Now one thing I have done is went out on the side of our building and snipped some branches off the evergreen tree on Dec. 24th. It doesn't grow back, did ya know that? Now we're more selective of where we clip from.

Merry, Merry Christmas to all my fellow florist chatties! Finish your shopping as early as possible, wrap your presents as soon as you get them and try to keep a smile in your heart and on your face everyday until Christmas! (and after also would help)

Myyyy finnnngggerss arrrreee stttuuuuccckkk!

Thhhhaaaattt Pinnnnnneeeee TTTaaarrrrrr ssssuuuuurrrreee mmmaaakkkkeeesss ttthhhee kkkeeyyybbooaaarddd sssttticcckkkkyyy!!!!!!!!!!!.

It's funny, since this topic of glue pans came up, I have been asking my fellow florists that are out this way what they use and several of them have acted like I was smoking something funny for even suggesting such a thing as a glue pot. Of course others do use them. I wonder if this is not some sort of a regional thing. In other words, depending on where or whom you were trained?

Still not sure that I see the point, but hey what ever works :>

by they way for all you holly fiends out their... my holly contact came through again this year. 30lbs for $18.....

Merry Ho! Ho! Ho!
Jim

O.K>

Originally posted by jbarb

Merry Ho! Ho! Ho!
Jim

No glue pots out your way 'eh...ya don;t know what your miss'n...it's the assembly line of floral production, where many wreaths, grave blankets, and decorations are made and in a **** hurry !

Not a training thing, ain't been around that long...beats the hell outa a glue gun tho...

Fo fum on Holly!

Haven't used fresh holly in about six years. Half the time it was so hard to use witht he red berries and leaves on different parts of the stem and always so dang picky. Never ended up looking good in arrangements. Started buying artificial holly and cutting it off the stem in single insert pieces. Love it!

Also stopped using Juniper about ten years ago since too many recipients told us it stinks up their house. Anyone else ever have Juniper complaints?

yEP...

Originally posted by Peter1
Yeah, you don't much hear about glue guns these days, once upon a time they were the total rage, but Martha and crew overpopulated them I think.

Glue "guns" are pretty much left for the "crafters" now-a-days...like Martha...

To time consuming, and the glue in the pan, is much stickier, and works much better....

Gave up using the glue gun after a really bad burn....I've had my glue pot for years...not part of any training, it just is. ;)

My holly arrived and it's gorgeous and picky and shiney and did I mention gorgeous... I love fresh holly.

A customer, who sells to pharmacies, gave a me a great tube of something or other to protect my hands for the winter...so far it's working very well.

Off I go to greenland and beyond. Have a great day.

V Fah la la la la...oh ****

Speaking of hands...

My mother's next door neighbour sells Mary Kay - for a bridal shower gift, she gave me a 'hand repair' kit so I wouldn't have velcro hands. A supermoisturizer, a cleansing gel, a buffing cream and a lotion - when I use all four, you'd never know I'm a florist by looking at my hands. The pitch stains on the smocks, yea, but not by the hands.

Originally posted by jbarb
It's funny, since this topic of glue pans came up, I have been asking my fellow florists that are out this way what they use and several of them have acted like I was smoking something funny for even suggesting such a thing as a glue pot. Of course others do use them. I wonder if this is not some sort of a regional thing. In other words, depending on where or whom you were trained?

by they way for all you holly fiends out their... my holly contact came through again this year. 30lbs for $18.....

Merry Ho! Ho! Ho!
Jim

The main reason most people use the glue pot rather than glue gun, is because the glue is more pliable when it dries and will not pop off when it gets cold, like glue gun glue does. It also stands up to moisture better, that's why it is better for corsages and glued parts in arrangements.

Many designers also find it is more convenient to use than the gun, because you can just dip the end of whatever you are gluing in the pot and stick it where it needs to go. I just attended a design show, and the demonstrator was creating small permanent xmas arrangements without foam. He just dipped the ends of the stems in the pot and stuck it in the little vases. It went really fast because he could glue and place with one hand while holding the container with the other. With a glue gun, he would have to have put the stem down, place the glue, pick up the stem, and place the stem. It takes a little getting used to when using the pot vs. the gun, but it is worth the transition. We used a metal bowl set on the burner of an old coffee maker.

As for all that sticky pitch, the MOST fun you can have at the holiday time is when you go to use the bathroom and the toilet tissue sticks to your fingers! Or you go to help a customer and you can't let go of your knife. Eventually I smartened up and started using the latex medical gloves, purchased from a medical supply store for $7.50 for like 200.

Audra,
Is'nt that Mary Kay hand stuff great? I use it! I have the kit in my office.

Jim

All I'm smelling right now is the yucky smell of the aftermath of a frozen cooler...it's been a very long day...26 more corsages to go...yay glue.

V

Originally posted by Christine

As for all that sticky pitch, the MOST fun you can have at the holiday time is when you go to use the bathroom and the toilet tissue sticks to your fingers!

Hmm.... reminds me of a friend who worked for a local company that produced fibreglass moose for a tourism promotion. He unknowingly sat in a pool of paint that soaked through his jeans and sealed his arse shut for a couple days.

Sucks to be him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.