Not open for further replies.

BOSS

FlowerChat Administrator
Oct 31, 2002
Midland
www.smithsflowers.com
State / Prov
MI
Pine, Glue pots, Glitter Glue and Burning flesh...

Gotta love this time of year !

ok, I know this may sound stupid:rolleyes: but what do you all use glue pots for? ( I know what they are, I just have never had a need to use one) I don't even own a glue pot. What do you glue that you need to use this method? Even in design classes that I have attended, this has never come up....

Jim

Man oh man. For all kinds of things. Corsages, glueing items on wreaths, and glueing in silk stems in containers and so on.

I believe that I have seen just the opposite. Every design show and school I have seen there is almost always a glue pan.

After seeing someone on staff seriously burned by those dinky little gluepots - we made a change. We now use old electric frying pans - they hold more glue and they're much more sturdy.

We use the glue for large artificial wreaths, for ribbon, all manner of things.

Audra

Can't live without my glue pot...

Jim do you use a glue gun instead?

Mark, add this gripe to your list...Michael Bolten squeezing "White Christmas" from his :bootyshak and Christina Aguilera sliding around the music until she finally finds a note she likes....GOD!!!

V (finding it hard to type because my fingers are stuck together with pine tar...) ;)

Yes Victoria,

I use a glue gun.

We do very little with silks here and I have never done any glueing on corsages. The little bit of silk work and wreath stuff that we do, we just use the glue gun.

Jim

Glue Pot...

14"x14" electric fry pan, holds 18 Floralife glue bricks...

use it for EVERYTHING possible this time of year, balls, cones etc on wreaths...cones on centerpieces...if it needs to be hooked in, GLUE WILL DO !

Yes, boys and girls, glue is our friend. :)

V

:::::sticking to keys from pitch::::::
Now about freezing greened centerpieces...we have unheated space in our "old shop" at my house. I believe I have read before where some of you have greened and put outside in boxes or storage? Just make sure they are brought inside in time to thaw the oasis before adding cuts? We use balsam, pine, and cedar in our basics, any hints or suggestions?
I'm praying for something to pick up business wise here soon.
At least if I have bunches greened, if orders finally start coming in I'd be prepared even more.
So have any of you "frozen" your pre greened centerpieces?
(oh that sounds so terrible)
Rhonda

To be honest Rhonda, I've never done that...but then I live in the "banana belt", of Ontario. ;)

V

Yep.....works well

Originally posted by Rhonda
:::::sticking to keys from pitch::::::
Now about freezing greened centerpieces...we have unheated space in our "old shop" at my house. I believe I have read before where some of you have greened and put outside in boxes or storage? Just make sure they are brought inside in time to thaw the oasis before adding cuts? We use balsam, pine, and cedar in our basics, any hints or suggestions?
I'm praying for something to pick up business wise here soon.
At least if I have bunches greened, if orders finally start coming in I'd be prepared even more.
So have any of you "frozen" your pre greened centerpieces?
(oh that sounds so terrible)
Rhonda

We've done it in years past.......even put them out on the back deck and let them get burried with snow!!! No problem just takes about 2 days to thaw them out on the cement floor in the basement.

Just make sure you test the container first......I mean fill one of the ones you are going to use with pre soaked oasis and plunk it in the freezer over night, then thaw it out and make sure the container didn't crack when the water (oasis) expanded!! Dump out any excess water before freezing.

Rhonda we "froze some" years ago. Before we put a second story on our building we greened some and put them on the roof. We thawed them by running the water from a water cooled compressor over them. Worked well as I recall. Make sure you just use greens like you mentioned and not less hardy things like Douglas Fir. Why not do a test freeze a piece of oasis and see how long it takes to thaw you don't want to have them all done up and not able to use them.
Doug

We'll be freezing again this year ... nice big open space on a flat roof makes for great "greens" storage. Usually just the centrepieces, anything in a container that can stand the freezing without peeling or cracking.

We must be addicts, since we love to smell glue, sniff paints...
Step one...Admit that you are powerless of the smell of Christmas...
HIGH ON CHEAP STUFF
Luc

Ok...I admit it Luc. I feel better already. ;)

V

Originally posted by Luc
We must be addicts, since we love to smell glue, sniff paints...
Step one...Admit that you are powerless of the smell of Christmas...
HIGH ON CHEAP STUFF

Mmm, gold sparkle spray, pitch and glue - smells like Christmas to me.

Add pet peeve for me - operatic christmas carols (heck, Xmas carols period).

Audra

This time of year I am a member of the Farkle family...y'all remember Sparkle...;)

I don't hate the carols, I just loathe some of the renditions...as mentioned in an earlier post....

V

I'm with Audra , any operatic attempt is verboten in my ear range . Also any carols done rap style are very hard to take. Actually they started them almost none stop on local radio about 3 weeks ago , so I've had almost enough of even the ones I like, should not be played until 2 weeks before christmas ,so you can look forward to them , not be tired of them by the first of December .

Sunny, the stations are doing that here as well...bah and a humbug by the time the day actually arrives. I've never been sick of Christmas music...I am now. The station I generally listen to is playing them 24/7. I've "turned my knob to Bob" at home. (the station's catch phrase, not mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.