Please take a moment to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll completed.

interesting

Very Interesting.. One problem I see coming from this would be the possibility of a floral design union... That is not good for the industry.

Louisiana has an acreditation system. A commission of florists, elected by all the florists in the state, tests applicants. Anytime a florist is open for business, an acredited person must be on premises. Enforced by the state. As I understand it.
I think that inept "Florists" is a major weakness of our industry. I have read somewhere that 60% of the public never buys flowers and their main reason is "Too expensive and they just die in a couple of days."

gr8vet said:
Very Interesting.. One problem I see coming from this would be the possibility of a floral design union... That is not good for the industry.

I don't see how that would encourage a unionization.

I think

I think the industry would be better off if there were a governing body, and requirements for just going into the biz, not necessarily "arranging" flowers...

Arrangement style varries too much from area to area, but the nuts and bolts of the biz, well...

PETEinVa said:
I think that inept "Florists" is a major weakness of our industry. I have read somewhere that 60% of the public never buys flowers and their main reason is "Too expensive and they just die in a couple of days."
how would acreditation change this???

BOSS said:
I think the industry would be better off if there were a governing body, and requirements for just going into the biz, not necessarily "arranging" flowers...

Arrangement style varries too much from area to area, but the nuts and bolts of the biz, well...
On second thought, I know it would be...

Perhaps "WE" should think on starting just this very thing? And not like SAF, but without any WS VP's on the board!

Here is MY THIRD THOUGHT

This industry would be better off if the WS'S were out of the picture. Member controlled and owned again? O, that is what Independance is.......sure glad I don't play in that sand box anymore.

Mikey the Flower Guy said:
into an "essential,AND PROFESSIONAL industry...with "actual" achievement certificates

Would wages reflect the "actual" achievement certificates?

Just curious.

V

IN ANTICIPATION OF YOUR "QUESTION"....

I decided to answer in this fashion.....MOST of us in this business, who portray a professional attitude about knowledge, history in the ingustry, and dedication to the industry by CONSTANTLY attending, and learning new skills and upgrades, at seminars, design classes, skills testing, and certification, SHOULD, and WILL earn higher stipends, than those "florists" that because of one reason or another, just want to "play" with flowers, and hide in the "folds" of the industry , because they CAN!!
YOU MAY BE A SUPERB DESIGNER, YOU MAY BE ASTONISHING in business accumen, BUT, until a higher authority recognizes that you are all those things, and "rewards you" for all your training and apprenticing AND DEDICATION, and "CERTIFIES" that YOU INDEED, have shown ALL THE WILLINGNESS, to be better, then I would say, you are somewhat "subordinate" to those that HAVE proven themselves....
IN MY HUMBLE OPINION......
Mike

Mike:

To be honest I'm not sure why there is such rancor in your response to my question.

Everything I have achieved in my life, either as a designer, my business sense, or on a personal level, has been financed by me or via personal sweat equity (to borrow a phrase from Habitat for Humanity). I believe in paying my own way because then the knowledge is mine. No one can take that away, or belittle my efforts.

All that being said, I have certificates of which I am very proud... but I do find that in a most general way, employers don't really want to pay fairly for what they require in
their employment ads.

I have been a business owner and an employee... both have their own set of difficulties, and require many levels of understanding.

I have attended as many seminars, workshops, classes etc. as I can afford. Learning is an integral part of who I am.

I have never "hidden" from anything in my life... as appealing as that sounds.

I am also nevermore, a subordinate to anyone or anything on this planet. I am a person of value, strength, talent, and integrity.

Regards:

Victoria

"researching rancor".....

your response was very valid.....because of the generation we are in.....how about the up and comers??
Do YOU want or care about, the "next" generation of "designers" to "ruin" all the years you've spent in this business??...I DO!!
As a shop owner, you should already "know" that the "quality" of skillsets is diminishing, and as a "past" owner, you already "KNOW" that many designer/past owners are NOT given "credit" for THEIR time in the industry, and the remuneration, befitting a person with YOUR skillsets!!
I would "hope" that you realized that you were NOT a target, but, you misinterpreted what I meant...as many people do!!
Mike

Thank you Mike, but in reading and re-reading and having an impartial person read your post, I had no choice but to think it was directed at me. The word "you", is pretty clear.

Victoria

In "most" apprenticed industries...

the "subordinate" (aka apprentice) needs to PROVE their abilities BEFORE they even have the opportunity to show their true skills.
I think, by referring to "you", I was really hoping that YOU, would realize YOU don't have to prove anything to anybody, especially me.
You're question seemed to indicate an unwillingness on the part of employers, to pay your due worth, based on your years of dedication!
Guess what, NO industry pays your due worth these days, without proper certification...those days are gone.
When YOU, and I, and BBJ, and the rest of us 'old timers" are done with flowers, do YOU see any "hope" in our podigies??
I personally DO have hope...I forced several of my ex-employees into extra-curricular training, and 2 now own shops of their own, and 2 are training with Dutch Masters, and THEY ARE certified......
Mike

Victoria,
"You" know Mikey, he always like ot put his foot in his mouth.
THe answer was not a directed to you per say.
If it is, I will come toyour rescue and beat the crap out of him next time I see him.
By the way, I am looking for a part time designer and since the black flies season is over, the cottage season is over and the snow has not happened yet, are you willing to relocate now to a beautiful town of Elliot Lake?????
Luc

Status
Not open for further replies.