professional designer?

rodney

Jan 8, 2003
Dansville
Visit site
State / Prov
ny
photo (3).JPGphoto (2).JPG
Just came from delivering to my local funeral home, undertaker could not believe a perfessional florist from the next town over would deliver a arrangement like this. This came from a so called professional florist. The delphinium was shedding, oasis was not hidden at all, card just stuck in arr. Undertaker had to find a cardette for the card. We complain about customers buying from supermarkets and online ordergathers. This shop is located in a town where they have no competition, they are the only shop. I don't blame people for going else where. This florist is giving our industry a black eye. If we are to survie, as a industry we must put out a quality product or lose it all to supermarkets and the order gathers and their drop shipping. This type of work dosen't encourage me to buy local!

Reactions: theRKF
Wow! My kids used to do better than that when they were little and coming to work with me. I wonder if that florist is always that bad or if it's a new owner or what the story is? But we have a florist next town over just as bad and all the flowers get spray painted, whether they need it or not. They have been in business for years so I guess some customers just don't care.

This shop opened in January of this year. The owner also ran a florist business in the same town about 15 years ago before selling it. Business has been slow this summer, so he has picked up a part time job and has a mother and daughter team running the shop. Even though he is the only one in his town, there are 3 shops 15 minutes away in the next town over and 2 other shops within 20 mins. from his town.

I agree it isn't up to snuff. We don't send anything out of our shop that we wouldn't personally like to send or receive. It must meet that test and also no sale is final in our shop unless the customer is pleased. That gets you word of mouth repeat business!!

That gets you word of mouth repeat business!!
Which is MY and YOUR best, most cost effective form of advertising we can do>!>!>!>!

It boggles my mind when shops send out stuff like this, and their customers return again...and again.... and then sometimes not....

r u really really sure it came from that shop or did the Mom team sell an enclosure card (why we never sell cards with our name imprinted) to someone trying to pass off their home built job as professional. The whole thing reeks of "donna do it yourself"

Have you seen anything else they've sent out?

That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. They just plain old forgot the greens. crazy even my seven year old son knows to put in leather before putting in the flowers... and even if they were out of all greenery they could have gone outside and picked some kind of bush. If I saw that at our funeral home I would have said "be right back" and gone outside and picked some greens and come back in and stuck them in. I have been interviewing designers for 2 month
s to replace my head designer of 8 years and I am beginning to think that there is no such thing as a professional designer any more... :(

Just noticed that the card did not show who it was for, and no florist envelope on it, to me it seems like either someone pulled all the greenery out (but cannot see any holes in the oasis) or they just forgot. If a non-designer made this, you most probably will see the oasis damaged and busted at some places. Makes one wonder what else we are missing. I remember that a florist had pulled our bow from a basket and put it on her basket and left a big hole in our arrangement (years ago and she is no longer in business). Only way we knew this was because we personally went to see it and saw her tiny bow (on the card we had written what color bow it had) on our arrangement with our card on it, but our nice bow was on her arrangement even though the colors did not match.

We really do not know what goes on at a funeral home (especially larger ones though they now have CCTV) after we make our deliveries to the flower rooms.

We really do not know what goes on at a funeral home (especially larger ones though they now have CCTV) after we make our deliveries to the flower rooms.

Also, we do not know how many times a family member or visitor has switched a card. I can think of a half dozen times over the last few years where I have had angry clients describe something totally different than what I sent. I jump in the car, and, sure enough, cards have been switched. I guess it is a compliment in a twisted way :)

My husband just saw this as I was looking at it. I asked him if he could see what was wrong with it and he said "everything", first it has no greenery. JBOL..

Had a talk with the daughter in law of the deceased today, she came in to tell us how nice our arrangements where for her father in-law's service, then she said I have to tell you about this one arrangement that we did not do. (arrangement I posted pictures of starting this thread) The arrangement was sent from her husbands company where he works. The family could not believe what this arrangement looked like. They where not pleased and they are going to let the company know not to use that florist again and she is giving them our number for future orders. We had done 12 pieces for this service. This other arrangement was the only other piece there.

Very good [MENTION=105]rodney[/MENTION] ....

As I said earlier in this thread, and the one thing I believe is the best marketing one can do... OUR PRODUCT SCREAMS VOLUMES~! especially at funerals where it sits side by side others work...

Sometimes we get 'designer' types who come in to show us their work. When you have them make something so we can see if they are those 'home' designers or professionals and can make something in

minutes, I have seen similar to this 'Hideous' arrangement made by these so called designers. It is things like this we florist don't stand for.

photo (7).JPGphoto (6).JPGphoto (5).JPG
Here are 3 more arrangements from the same florist. Talked to my wireservice rep and was told the wireservice can not do anything about this florist until they get complaints from customers. I was told as a florist I can not do anything. I guess the money ($25.00) we are forced to pay each month for so called quality ensurance, means nothing.