Status
Not open for further replies.

RJD

Feb 22, 2005
Butler
www.bloomery.com
State / Prov
PA
On Wednesday, we received a Cease & Desist order from Proflowers, alleging we were in violation of their trademarks and demanding removal of the Proflowers video by 5:00pm May 1. On the advice of counsel, we complied with the order and removed the offending video and accompanying blog post.

Proflowers had two items they considered offensive. One was a link we had on the home page of our website that said simply "proflowers" and linked to the video.

The second was the video itself, where we had used their trade dress (i.e., box) and trade name to disparage their business in order to build our own.

After looking at these through the eyes of a consumer, we'll concede the first point. A reasonable person clicking on a link saying "proflowers" could reasonably assume they were going to the Proflowers site. Had we used the text "frozen roses from proflowers", we probably would have been OK. Other people had this same link, and that's why BOSS, Cheryl and Infinite's messages were posted in the video thread. If you haven't removed the link, you should (there's no video anyway).

The second item started out great, and the initial comments were the exact discussion we had hoped to start. As the shills, trolls and fanboys showed up, comments strayed away from the original topic, and PF probably has a claim here. Had I simply turned off comments from the beginning or deleted all irrelevant comments, we probably would have been OK.

We had three courses of action: ignore the C&D and definately get sued, go back and edit the comments and links and risk a major suit, or comply and be free of the threat of a suit. We chose to comply, learn from the experience and advice, and think about the next Pro Florist campaign (this time, taking care to ensure it is done correctly and are untouchable).

Two important items to note:

1) Businesses DO NOT have the same free speech protections as private citizens. That's never been the case in the US, and there are very strong laws protecting trademarks and intellectual property (that's why the US rocks as far as innovation and content production are concerned). And, since we engage in the floral trade, we cannot be considered private citizens in any public communications (so I cannot simply start another blog and repost it all as myself).

2) Proflowers did not question the content of the video or the blog post, only that we infringed on their trademarks.

The video experiment was awesome, we all learned from it, and I for one am a little disappointed I didn't do a better job of keeping the message clear. But, we all banded together, got their attention and really really pissed them off, and that feels good.

There's no doubt the timing of this was meant to coincide with the beginning of their Mother's Day ad blitz, and to try and bully us into not seeking the advice of counsel. Fortunately, we and people around us move at Internet speed, so we were able to seek, receive and act on solid advice very quickly.

Moving forward, the video will not be making a return appearance except for discussions of the incident, since it's too recognizable. We're going to lay low, since we feel we're being watched very, very closely. In the meantime, other content can, will and should be developed and publicized in the proper manner.

Finally, thanks to everyone for the encouraging PMs, and Cheryl Bakin, CHR, BOSS and Infinite for keeping everyone filled in while we dealt with the situation. Not one of us will ever forget the "thunk, thunk, thunk" of frozen rose heads on our dining room table.

Reactions: 1 person
In the meantime, other content can, will and should be developed and publicized in the proper manner.

hmmmm, food for thought right there.

Not one of us will ever forget the "thunk, thunk, thunk" of frozen rose heads on our dining room table.
:>

You are a credit to your industry, and a class act. Your dedication to the business and your fellow florist is to be admired. Good luck resolving any remaining issues. Thanks for being a leader with uncommon integrity, the kind that puts himself at risk, and steps out of the pack for change. ~Melissa

Rich, Kathy...you guys are amazing.

I, honestly, was amazed that nothing was said until now. I had a feeling that is what Boss was alluding to in his thread but- I hoped not. Only two words are necessary...

:yourock:

You are a credit to your industry, and a class act. Your dedication to the business and your fellow florist is to be admired. Good luck resolving any remaining issues. Thanks for being a leader with uncommon integrity, the kind that puts himself at risk, and steps out of the pack for change. ~Melissa

Ditto that Rich - it was an awesome move and an awesome project, and it was fun while it lasted.

the Battle against them (it's a battle cuz they drew first blood) I really don't think is "winnable" - they simply have too big of bulldogs and millions at stake and they aren't going to let people like us mess with that - even if a lawsuit is or was frivilous. Remember FTD's suit with them that went basically nowhere.

I'd removed the links I had placed about 6 weeks ago when Cathy got that first phony review, at the time my statement was something to the effect of "they have a bigger dirty tricks department than we have". I smelled a rat coming, and didn't want to be in the tracks of it.

Anyhow I didn't PM you cuz I figured you were inundated but knew you'd do what was best. As someone told me in a PM "laying down in front of a steamroller isn't my idea of fun".

Some brainstorming could be done and brand names should likely be left out of it.

again it was awesome and you are one without a doubt of the very very most awesomest members we have up in here, and thanks for your efforts.

:yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock:

I was clicking that link MAC had on his site to see who all is linked to it, making sure mine were gone (couple residuals I'd forgotten) and found what I think were hundreds of flowerchat posts.

I clicked them and could read them - I logged out of flowerchat to be sure, and they were still readable to it looks like the general public.

Wait I'm gonna go try it from a puter that has never logged into FC. Yup I did it and there's a ton of them, mostly to the blog but lots of them also to the forums. And you can click on them and read them from the outside.

oh oh.....

Thanks Rich! You did make a Difference!

By all REAL FLORIST standards, YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE and it was a GREAT RIDE!

However, WEE FLORISTS will simpy regroup and hit them again since, we are BY FAR, creative folks and ARTFUL DESIGNERS!

Even a SLIP and FALL ATTORNEY can't really handle the TRUTH and a group of passionate REAL FLORISTS who are on A MISSION!

I'll change my links over to BBB and other consumer complaint sites for now as BUZZ suggested, and until one of us can DESIGN a COME BACK!

I was clicking that link MAC had on his site to see who all is linked to it, making sure mine were gone (couple residuals I'd forgotten) and found what I think were hundreds of flowerchat posts.

I clicked them and could read them - I logged out of flowerchat to be sure, and they were still readable to it looks like the general public.
JB -

Ya' trying to give me a heart attack? :faint:

I looked and all of those links either lead to posts from the News and Annoucements forum (which IS viewable by the public) or to a run-of-site link which appeared on all the gallery pages. None of the conversations within the password-protected FC forums show in site searches on Google or Yahoo.

We owe yu guys alot

Thanks for taking a risk...the ride was phenom. I know I learned alot from it and it sure says alot that they had to get you take it down...what weenies.
Now what can we do next...lol
Sher

Thank you so much for all your efforts. Here's the up side... if we weren't a problem Pro(not so much) Flowers wouldn't have reacted in such a fashion.

V :)

Rich, I'm sorry you and Kathy had to go through a bunch of stuff this week. You both did a great job with the video, I'm sorry to have to see it go.

I do believe you are correct with regard to being watched very, very closely.

Thank you for all you do for independent retail florists everywhere.

I heard a PF ad on my way home tonight. It stung a little, but I entertained myself with the thought of what "their" faces will look like the next time they're in the attorney's office, and she tells them there's not a thing they can do about our next effort because we did it right. Heh....

Reactions: 1 person
Too bad a regular consumer doesn't do the same thing

hmmmmmm

You know if the video did resurface they would be SOL because it is really easy to save video clips from YouTube not to mentioned i'm sure there are cached copies floating around right now... o_O

*stock piles artillery*

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.