Should this board be open to Home Based businesses?

Should flowerchat be open to non B & M "flower people"?

• No, Full Service industry insiders only

Votes: 53 38.4%
  • Absolutely, everyone has to start somewhere

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Only if they have some accreditation

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Perhaps (explain in post below)

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think that this says all that needs to be said.....I for one DO NOT want FlowerChat closed. In the short time I have been a member here....I have learned so much and seen so many contributions that any problems are far out-weighed. Speaking only for myself - whatever is needed to keep FlowerChat going and open is A-OK with me !!!!

Agreed and then some. Thanks Ryan for that great post and thanks Rick for an equally great follow-up.

V

I've been reading all the posts over the last week and have been debating with myself as to whether I should post a reply or not and finally decided that it's bothering me enough that I should.

I've been sadly disillusioned by some of the comments made by SOME over the course of this thread as well as some of the others. Although I'm fully aware that this is a forum and I have the right to disregard anything I read and not post to it if I don't see fit, some of it got a little personal.
I am by no means implying that some of the things said were specifically about ME, I surely hope they weren't, I'm just saying that it pertained to my situation and, well, it kinda stung a little.

When I was directed to this board by another floral professional, I was really excited to find a place where I could learn and grow my business.
I had been horridly mislead as to the guidence I would receive and I was desperately trying to keep my head above water and my wits about me.
Never did it occur to me that because I was NEW to the business and that "I've just bought a flower shop" would I be shunned by some and deemed unworthy of their "secret information."
I was warmly and openly welcomed in a thread where I introduced myself, and even received a few PM's welcoming me and offering to be of assistance in any way they could. I spent hours and hours and even more hours reading and absorbing information and learning as much as I could.

It became apparent after several weeks that some, who were regular posters to other topics and threads, would never respond or post to the threads that I posted nor to some of the other newer members. I'm not dumb.. and I figured out really quick that these certain select few only posted to the people with many green dots after their name. (Ha... I didn't even know what they meant then.) I started to feel a little uncomfortable about posting anything and decided to just READ and learn.

Now, after reading some of the posts and comments about how others feel about people that have "just bought their shops" or "just entered the business" or whatever, I realize that all my observations were right on target and that "I" as well as others weren't really welcome here by some who believed themselves to be "Elite". That they feel that this is a special club with too many secrets to share with us little pee on's.
I feel like I've been zapped back into the twilight zone and re-entered High School.

I'm sorry. I am not here to fight and argue and I actually HATE conflict with a passion, but I just find that those views are pretty shallow.
EVERYONE that has entered this business has done so for a reason. THEIR reasons. Whether or not you agree with their reasons is irrelevant and, quite frankly, not your business. Litterally. They will either succeed in their business or not. Sharing your "secrets" actually has very little to do with whether or not they will succeed. Because to succeed, it takes PASSION and PERSISTENCE. If they have the passion and persistence, then they will succeed. With or without your "secrets". If they aren't allowed to find them here, their persistence will lead them elsewhere to find the information that they are looking for. They will find books and mentors who will teach them. They will learn by trial and error. They too, just like you, will make costly mistakes and then learn from them.
I have, and reading here didn't stop me from making some of them. I'm sure I will make more, and I will learn from those too.
My point is, How fair is it for YOU to make the decision as to which person may or may not be privvy to information to help them succeed? Doesn't everyone deserve that chance?
Why I got into this business is nobody's concern but my own. I paid a lot of money to get myself into this, and I am PASSIONATE about making it work. And I am PERSISTANT enough that I have sought out mentors, (other than here) and have searched out and am STILL searching out, as much information as I can so that I can live this dream that I have.
I'm doing my time, JUST LIKE YOU did and are doing. I don't expect to steal your "secrets" so that I don't have to do my time building my business, I'm just here to learn. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but I can almost bet that you didn't learn EVERYTHING you've learned that makes your business successful all by yourself. I'm sure you learned a thing or two, and probably a great secret or two, from sombody who was willing and, thankfully, not so shallow minded as to not think you were worthy of it.

Being afraid to post because you don't want to help your competitors?
How are you going to stop a so called competitor from signing up for this forum?
Just because you've been here for a while, are they suppose to block the shop that's down the street and around the corner from you from signing up for this forum just because it might hurt YOUR business? How could anybody ever control that?

Now just to clarify one last thing.
I totally agree with trying to keep the "secrets" from the general public.
We don't need them to know what the markup on our flowers is, or any of the other business aspects. All they need to know is that we make pretty arrangements that make people happy.
But to imply that only certain "Elite few" should be allowed to read and discuss here, and that having so many "outsiders" with too many "Basic questions".... I just can't find the right words to finish this.

I do want to say a sincere Thank You, to all the elders of the forum (not implying that any of you are "OLD" :) that's just a figure of speech) That have so warmly, generously, and KINDLY welcomed, mentored and patiently answered all of my "basic" questions, as well as answering others' so that I can learn from those too. To me, You are TRULY the "ELITE" members of this forum. I truly hope that I will continue to learn and grow my business here because I'm in this for the long haul now, and there's no turning back.

Kim

Reactions: 3 people
Kim

You post shows your frustration. But I am really confused. You are the a real brick mortar florist, who is sweating out each and every day just like the rest of us.

Just because you're new, doesn't mean you don't belong. You are actually the kind of person who should be able to gleen information from this board. The argument has been about allowing those you are not in the business, ie basement betty. And the argument being made from everything I have read is that for real open discussion, this board should be open to peers, like yourself.

To me, the reason your post is expressing frustration is that you are feeling the pressure of having invested your whole being into your new business, which seems to have been your dream. You have your financial future invested. People who are working from home, can never understand what you are going thru.

Kim, calm down, keep visiting, reading and posting any and all questions. I think I can speak for everyone here in saying we all understand and wish you the best in your new venture.

Kimber - Thanks for your very well-thought-out post.

I took a look at the threads you started and only see one without a reply - and that was because none of the active members here delivered to Clairmont. :)

My experience with other active, established forums (outside the flower biz) is that new member questions on basic topics often receive few responses. Our 'search' function here is wonderful and I'd hazard to guess that most of the rudimentary questions (to us old-timers) have been asked and answered on multiple occasions. It's not about being 'worthy' or the number of green dots - it's more likely that other members are busy with their own issues or that they know the answers have already been discussed - sometimes ad naseum (like whether to be in a WS or not). ;)

I can pretty much guarantee you that most of the 'old timers' here have volunteered countless hours to help peers. Unfortunately, we've all experienced frustration with offering concrete, lengthy assistance to see the helpee(s) completely ignore the advice. And remember, when members choose to participate in a discussion, especially when offering advice, they do it freely - and are actually taking their own personal time when they could surely be doing other things - to help themselves.

Your points about your experience are well taken but IMO your reading of some folks as being 'shallow' misses a much bigger picture of the purpose of this community and the spirit of give and take here.

I was afraid that some of what I said would be misunderstood. That's why sometimes I think it's Dangerous, for lack of a better word, to type out messages.

I actually do feel that I was warmly welcomed by a lot of people when I came here. Yourself included, if I remember right. And all of my posts were answered kindly and with very helpful advice from many many FC members. I expressed that in the beginning and in end of my post here. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that "I" feel like I was mistreated. And I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon to make it seem like I was.

What I was referring to were some of the comments that were made here and throughout this whole argument about "new shop owners" "questions that are too basic" etc.
I was trying to make a point that some of that kind of stuff is just not fair.
I'm aware that most of this argument started on another topic about home based businesses etc and that yes, I am a B&M shop.. but if you read back through all the posts, you will find that not all of it was very welcoming to us "newcomers" to the business in general. I was just trying to state a point that all of us were "NEW" to this business at some point and time.

Maybe I'm still not making sense. I dunno.

I don't feel mistreated and I have never had anyone answer a post to me in a negative way. I've made a couple of REALLY sweet friends here. :)
They know who they are. :)
But trust me when I say that it's been apparent that there are a few.. and yes, it's really only a few... that have been really tight lipped.. or would that be tight fingered... about answering anything a newcomer asks or says.
And... like I said.. it kinda stung a bit when the comments I reffered to were made. I didn't say they were about ME. They were just in general... but it struck a nerve because it was what my scenario right now is.

I just don't want any newcomers to this board to feel belittled because they are new or they are new to ownership. God forbid they should come here at this time and read all the negativity and think that this is what it's like all the time.

Like I said earlier, I'm not good at conflict.. not trying to create anymore.. Hate it, actually. I just felt like I needed to address those particular comments.
Nuff said.
I hope.
:hammer:

The Golf Pro......

Beofre I got into the curent state I am in...I was a reasonably well known management consultant...

For over three years.....I had to virtually live in Chicago...most of the time the weather got to me....on the other hand...in the summer the weather was pretty great....and it made Golf a decent game..So I tried to take up the game of golf....unfortunately the only two good balls I have ever hit was the time I stepped on the rake...think about it....so anyhow....

I went to a local Golf Pro for lessons....showed him what I could do..and what I had trouble with...the Pro asked me what I did for a living...and I explained that I was a management consultant;....who worked to try to help people make their businesses more successful.....

He said to me " well maybe we have a lot in common". I said "Yeah, how is that?"

He said well I give advice to folks every week.....but when they come back, they still do the same things that ruin their game. He asked me, " do people listen to you and do what you ask them to do?"

I answered truly, "no most of the time they seem to ignore my advice".

He said...me too! " But they keep coming back every week, and paying me money to improve their golf game".. " So I guess our jobs are similar".

The Golf Pro was right....and Pro's make a lot of money giving advice that will never be used.

My recommedation would be..."Thank about it".

And remember the words of Grandma Roberts...."some of us can learn from other people's mistakes.....the rest of us have to be the other people. Which do you want to be???????

All the best....

Reactions: 1 person
Kimber - being sort of a firestarter here and the house contrarian - I have never seen anything in this thread or others to indicate an unwillingless to share with any Full Service Florist, or their employees, or the various support systems we need, especially a new one that is already in the business.

I also personally feel that way and according to my partner spend too much time on the phone talking with other florists, both larger than us and smaller than us. It's how I've learned.

You're welcome to call me at any time if you have a question I may be able to help you with - send me a PM for my name and phone number and I'll talk yer ear off. I know nothing about design, (tho I do know what sells) but I do all our marketing and web work, so those are my fields of expertise.

Sorry I don't see any shop owner or employee or our various support systems being singled out or grouped out or excluded here - I posted that poll, and it sure sounds to me like you are a Full Service B & M.

I do have reluctance to post hard won experience to those that have the luxury of not having to pay $500 a day (or whatever) to keep their retail shop doors open like I do. We face different challenges than those that don't have huge overhead like we do, way different. But I'll be glad to talk on the phone to anyone, even and especially those that I don't agree with, and I do. I may just talk your ear off - I love talking to florists, I love having them visit my shop. I also honestly am not big on encouraging new people to "break into" the business (should I become a florist?) cuz it ain't all lollypops and roses like it seems from the outside, and the current weeding out that is happening is a good thing for all of us already in the biz - tho some here have their own different agendas for wanting to introduce new people to the business.

I just think you are/were wrong in your assessment of what is going on here, for whatever reason hope I clarified at least how I feel about it. I think you think I'm one of those snobs you referred to, but I really think you have misread me. I'm concerned about the longevity of this board, and can see from the poll numbers and opinions offered in this thread and the other one that inspired it's how the majority feel here - it's an awesome resource, but for some time it has had a large noise to signal ratio - getting more so all the time. I think the recruitment got a little nutz (interested in flowers? come to flowerchat) and went a bit widespread, but nothing that can't be corrected. I don't want to see the quality of information shared here continue to drop.

Just a bit of explanation - hope this helps

opinions vary

all blessings

bloomz

Reactions: 1 person

Kimber, from MY perspective, you make much sense, and have eloquently presented yourself, and your point of contention.
I'm NOT going to "sugar coat" this....you are NOT alone in feeling "island status", and a few others have ALSO stated their frustration with some things said.
Seems to me, that MOST of us feel SO compelled to share, and SO willing to help, and SO willing to help "empower" those that have NOT been in the business too long, most of us are equally frustrated when MOST of the info you need is already here.
Occasionally, that frustration boils over, and we get into heated debates over something that should/should NOT be, and that AGAIN addresses the statement you made about it NOT being any of "our business" about how YOU conduct business...tis true to a point.
Here's how it is.....we learn from YOU, you learn from the rest...if ALL of us do what the MOST successful florists DO, THEN we WILL HAVE the same results. Those that do the "same" as what they've ALWAYS done, probably WON'T need our help, will waste our time, and also in all likelihood, waste away.
I would hope that all involved in FlowerChat understand that our PRIME directive is to help first on the road to your successes, for those people that DO NOT marginalize, or trivialize, how important this business truly IS to most of us.

I was afraid that some of what I said would be misunderstood. That's why sometimes I think it's Dangerous, for lack of a better word, to type out messages.

I actually do feel that I was warmly welcomed by a lot of people when I came here. Yourself included, if I remember right. And all of my posts were answered kindly and with very helpful advice from many many FC members. I expressed that in the beginning and in end of my post here. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that "I" feel like I was mistreated. And I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon to make it seem like I was.

What I was referring to were some of the comments that were made here and throughout this whole argument about "new shop owners" "questions that are too basic" etc.
I was trying to make a point that some of that kind of stuff is just not fair.
I'm aware that most of this argument started on another topic about home based businesses etc and that yes, I am a B&M shop.. but if you read back through all the posts, you will find that not all of it was very welcoming to us "newcomers" to the business in general. I was just trying to state a point that all of us were "NEW" to this business at some point and time.

I don't feel mistreated and I have never had anyone answer a post to me in a negative way. I've made a couple of REALLY sweet friends here. :)
They know who they are. :)
But trust me when I say that it's been apparent that there are a few.. and yes, it's really only a few... that have been really tight lipped.. or would that be tight fingered... about answering anything a newcomer asks or says.
And... like I said.. it kinda stung a bit when the comments I reffered to were made. I didn't say they were about ME. They were just in general... but it struck a nerve because it was what my scenario right now is.

I just don't want any newcomers to this board to feel belittled because they are new or they are new to ownership. God forbid they should come here at this time and read all the negativity and think that this is what it's like all the time.

Like I said earlier, I'm not good at conflict.. not trying to create anymore.. Hate it, actually. I just felt like I needed to address those particular comments.
Nuff said.
I hope.
:hammer:

There is a saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". This saying basically sums up what had happened on those posts.

I believe that one of the posters got some of the best advice she could have. She was told that she is far from ready to start her own business. She hadn't really started yet. She didn't plunk down a whole bunch of money on a storefront, stock or even a cooler. All she had was a bit of education. I believe she got her weights worth in gold of advice. She probably won't listen and in a year maybe two will realize it.

The other posters are newer they came here for advise and had they read the posts before just jumping in they would have realized that very often we spar here. It gets everyone thinking in different directions. You cannot expect to ask for help and have people wonder what you can offer them. This is how friendships work, give and take. The people that lurk, and there are a lot of them, I will assume have nothing to give therefore they do not post and that may be smart. On the other hand, if all you give back is lip and back talk you're going to be not liked. It had alot to do with the way things are worded. You said it yourself, you read and absorbed before posting, as did I. It is hard to belong to a community without giving something back. I wanted to make sure, I liked what was being said and the quality of the advise before I gave mine. It probably took me 6 months to really get active on this board. Some people sign up and in one day post 10 things and get discouraged or mad because no one answers them. Well, do I know you...I need some investment into someone's worthyness to be my friend...

Isn't this the crux of the issue..?? who is the 'general public' and who is in the business of flowers?

Now just to clarify one last thing.
I totally agree with trying to keep the "secrets" from the general public.
We don't need them to know what the markup on our flowers is, or any of the other business aspects. All they need to know is that we make pretty arrangements that make people happy.
But to imply that only certain "Elite few" should be allowed to read and discuss here, and that having so many "outsiders" with too many "Basic questions".... I just can't find the right words to finish this.

Kim

Is a person who loves flowers and may want to sell flowers because 'it is their passion' in the business of flowers?? Is a friend of a bride who likes to dabble in flowers in the business of flowers?? Is an unemployed 'whatever' who thinks selling flowers & plants on the street corner for the spring holidays to make some money to tide them over until they find another job in the business of flowers??
Is Home Depot in the business of flowers??

So who is the 'general public' and who is in the business of flowers?

Reactions: 2 people
Wow bloomz, this makes twice we agreed on something. Are you becoming a Republican too?:beer

Damm - doubtful - but IF I do decide to participate in the charade again - I could possibly vote Repub for Mitt? I did vote for Nixon once you know.

This is scary, Fox.....:spin:spin:spin:spin:spin

oh oh bloomz look what you did to Fox's head

headexplode.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.