Should this board be open to Home Based businesses?

Should flowerchat be open to non B & M "flower people"?

• No, Full Service industry insiders only

Votes: 53 38.4%
  • Absolutely, everyone has to start somewhere

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Only if they have some accreditation

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Perhaps (explain in post below)

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Haven't Voted Yet!!!!!

I haven't voted yet....because I haven't decided yet. As I have said, I truly enjoy all of the characters on this board. Also, I am not sure how I feel about the subject. Finally, I think I have gained some insight from the so called "Basement Betty Folk"..... Let me tell you what I have learned....

A few days ago....Joe MO...mentioned that he has a florist working all day Saturday on "Permanent Botanicals" (a term I learned here)...and I put this together with the Basement Betty discussion.....(I don't like the term Basement Betty.....but everyone seems to relate to it). What I came up with from this "Peanut Butter and Chocolate type discussion" is...hey...I could use a basement betty to help keep us in stock with "Permanent Botanicals" and free my designers for more pressing issues. Could even pay "piece rate". This type of arrangement could allow a stay-at-home mother or retired florist to earn some pretty good money, and help make my business more profitable. I am going to try it if I get a chance.

Honestly, my belief is that most BB's will not survive the long haul...they'll lose interest...as it is a hard way to make a living no matter what you do. Secondly, there are some very talented Basement Betty's who can help me grow my business...without adding full time staff. Of course, this type idea would only work with the right BB...but I think I know one....so as my black sheep drunken Uncle Ronnie always said "why not?"

I would hope that as a board, we would always look for "synergy", rather than conflict. I read just about every post here...and rarely rule out any possibility....and certainly I don't want to rule one out where there could be a win-win-win situation.

All the best....

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't voted yet....because I haven't decided yet. As I have said, I truly enjoy all of the characters on this board. Also, I am not sure how I feel about the subject. Finally, I think I have gained some insight from the so called "Basement Betty Folk"..... Let me tell you what I have learned....

A few days ago....Joe MO...mentioned that he has a florist working all day Saturday on "Permanent Botanicals" (a term I learned here)...and I put this together with the Basement Betty discussion.....(I don't like the term Basement Betty.....but everyone seems to relate to it). What I came up with from this "Peanut Butter and Chocolate type discussion" is...hey...I could use a basement betty to keep us in stock with "Permanent Botanicals" and free my designers for more pressing issues. Could even pay "piece rate". This type of arrangement could allow a stay-at-home mother or retired florist to earn some pretty good money, and help make my business more profitable. I am going to try it if I get a chance.

Honestly, my belief is that most BB's will not survive the long haul...they'll lose interest...as it is a hard way to make a living no matter what you do. Secondly, there are some very talented Basement Betty's who can help me grow my business...without adding full time staff. Of course, this type idea would only work with the right BB...but I think I know one....so as my black sheep drunken Uncle Ronnie always said "why not".

I would hope that as a board, we would always look for "synergy", rather than conflict. I read just about every post here...and rarely rule out any possibility....where there could be a win-win-win situation.

All the best....

I love that thought!! I am that hard working been at it for years women.. and I love it(designing from my home studio). I also put my name out there for any florist in Michigan(in reasonable distance)I work holidays, bring my own tools, and put in long hours if they need the short term holiday help..it's a win win thing I get to keep brushed up on my skills and they get great labor with out the commitment to keep me, it fills in the down time I have..~Tracy

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!!!!

With all due respect Mike - the discussion has been on apples. You sir seem to be talking about Oranges...:hug:

Great synergy idea I admit - hire them! But then they become your employee and not a competitor, unless they continue to run their home based business, in which case, well I don't know about you, but I don't want any internal stuff exposed to my competitor, so it wouldn't fly in my world.

Now here's one - I have a colleague who has a woman who comes in and does his weddings under contract (strict I'm sure) using his name, labels and facilities, transparent to the consumer, and getting a set percentage of the total. Which may be the idea you are considering?

This doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, provided the contract was strict enough. You sure don't want her/them doing consultations at your business and also a second one at home. We all know who would lose in that case.

I haven't run numbers on this in a while, but last time if I remember right it cost me around $500 a day to keep my shop doors open - that's 7 days a week and we're only open 6.

With all due respect Mike - the discussion has been on apples. You sir seem to be talking about Oranges...:hug:

Great synergy idea I admit - hire them! But then they become your employee and not a competitor, unless they continue to run their home based business, in which case, well I don't know about you, but I don't want any internal stuff exposed to my competitor, so it wouldn't fly in my world.

Now here's one - I have a colleague who has a woman who comes in and does his weddings under contract (strict I'm sure) using his name, labels and facilities, transparent to the consumer, and getting a set percentage of the total. Which may be the idea you are considering?

This doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, provided the contract was strict enough. You sure don't want her/them doing consultations at your business and also a second one at home. We all know who would lose in that case.

I haven't run numbers on this in a while, but last time if I remember right it cost me around $500 a day to keep my shop doors open - that's 7 days a week and we're only open 6.

I could see where that might come in to play, maybe if the person was dishonest I consider myself a honest person.But I am sure there are other's who would not think of it as a business deal and take advantage of the shop owner.As far as the shop owner who has the lady come a design for him(wedding work)what A GREAT IDEA!! the person gets paid to do what they love best.. Great concept. thanks for sharing .aways~Tracy:spin

SO we must be on the same page?? wish I lived closer. I would love to come work a V-Day (well if you would have me)...

and so this thread is so off topic in a way, I'd like Tracy to know that most holidays are so structured that creativity does not raise it's beautiful head during those busy times. The name of the game is production and therefore does not lend itself to individual designs. Unless you wish to structure a design (way into the planning of the holiday buying) that is production savvy then you have to follow the "production line" so to say. But that is one of the "down points" of loving to work with flowers. Holidays aren't so much fun, just cut and stick and get them out the door !! :)
and they can be down right boring. Our only fun actually during holidays are those specialized Christmas designs for specific customers placements (mostly for parties) and those are not done during the very last week.

and so this thread is so off topic in a way, I'd like Tracy to know that most holidays are so structured that creativity does not raise it's beautiful head during those busy times. The name of the game is production and therefore does not lend itself to individual designs. Unless you wish to structure a design (way into the planning of the holiday buying) that is production savvy then you have to follow the "production line" so to say. But that is one of the "down points" of loving to work with flowers. Holidays aren't so much fun, just cut and stick and get them out the door !! :)
and they can be down right boring. Our only fun actually during holidays are those specialized Christmas designs for specific customers placements (mostly for parties) and those are not done during the very last week.

Yes I know that:) I just like to offer my help and service to area shops because they really need it around here, and are thankful for the extra help and I like doing it too. you have to kick me out I love it.. I get to talk shop and work at what I love to do.. and get paid and maybe lunch!!~Tracy

You're my kind of girl..........as long as your hands go while your mouth does !! :)

I voted yes...

Everyone has to start somewhere- it's about what you're happy with and where you see yourself. I'm not thrilled with the basement betty or interloper comments, but it's a free country. At least for me, working from home is only a stepping stone to my next goal.

I have been reading the posts on this thread and others daily, and I decided to give the matter some deep thought before adding my two cents.

By most definitions, I am an oustider, since I don't have a B and M store nor a home based business. I did at one time co-own a shop, I trained at the School I now own, and I worked for a neighborhood florist for a time. So I'm not really sure where I fall.

Some would say I don't belong here, since I am training people who may become the real florists' competition. Others may think of my students as their future employees or even their successors. I personally believe that the industry's future depends upon the proper training and education of "new blood." But that is my bias.

And having said that, I believe that serious florists, regardless of their place of business, do benefit greatly from an environment where they can look to others for guidance. And, yes, for less experienced people to look to more experienced members as mentors. Perhaps that is not what the fathers (and mothers) of the board intended, but I do think there is a need for that kind of environment, either here or elsewhere.

If the consensus finds that my presence here causes anyone discomfort or reticence to discuss issues openly, I will respectfully bow out. But not without first thanking everyone here for all they have shared.

Linda Federman

Linda -

I'm only speaking for myself when I say that we should always welcome teachers here. We do need quality education, need new energy from excited students, and need the voice of experienced florists like yourself.

Reading Beth's previous post about feeling the need to leave also made me sad. I read her recounting the frustrations of being an eager employee who was being stifled by her boss. It made me look inward - as I hope it did every other owner or manager here.

I hope the people who selected 'B&M florists only' understand how many valuable FC members we'd lose and/or discourage from participation.

Linda, I believe you answered your own questions. You ARE in the business. You are teaching people to become professionals (I hope you are ! )
You may not be a florist per se, but you are hopefully educating your students that this isn't an easy business as you have already been in the service area of it. Maybe your classes already have a business side of floristry or maybe there should be one added. I don't know what your courses entail but you have been and still are "in" the business.
My humble opinion.
We have had members in and out of the business visit and chat here for years. And yes, the motto is "there is never a stupid question" but the two "blips" in the regular day to day flowerchat posters last week were definitely "needed to be scrutinized" from their first very few posts. Again IMHO

You know I am an outsider and caused a lot of stink but I said my forgive and the people said stay, I want to be here I like the post I like the passion this board has for the industry! I worked in the retail part of the industry know the labor and passion the b&m face I just choose not to be in that aspect of it right now. I will to bow out if it means I can't post or people feel what I do is not justice to the field. I think I will have a lot to contribute in the long hull. And besides else knows the brides and what a pain they and the mother in laws can be better then another florist (sometimes I need to vent)...~Tracy:cat:

For the record:

If FlowerChat ever becomes a place where teachers and people with experience in a flower shop are not welcomed, we will have failed in our mission and I will close FlowerChat for good.

Discussion on our direction is healthy, but if we start to alienate those who work in our industry and support our industry by educating and training future florists then this is no longer the "online community for floral professionals."

Heck, I don't even work in a flower shop at the moment! I grew up in a shop for nearly 30 years, and will work there again when the time comes ... but not now. Should I be disqualified from FC? Membership here was never about being "B&M" it was about being involved in a floral-related business.

Ryan

For the record:

If FlowerChat ever becomes a place where teachers and people with experience in a flower shop are not welcomed, we will have failed in our mission and I will close FlowerChat for good.

Discussion on our direction is healthy, but if we start to alienate those who work in our industry and support our industry by educating and training future florists then this is no longer the "online community for floral professionals."

Heck, I don't even work in a flower shop at the moment! I grew up in a shop for nearly 30 years, and will work there again when the time comes ... but not now. Should I be disqualified from FC? Membership here was never about being "B&M" it was about being involved in a floral-related business.

Ryan

WOW I love that. I think you summed it up for me.I love what I do and I love a place where I can go and others share the passion for the BIZ too..Smart, intellectuals that care to make the world happy one flower at a time..(sappy)~Tracy

Membership here was never about being "B&M" it was about being involved in a floral-related business.

I believe you just answered the question by stating what your intent was when you started this board. Maybe you could put that in the form of a mission statement on the Home page thus the question will not arise again. Just my 2 cents

Maybe you could put that in the form of a mission statement on the Home page thus the question will not arise again. Just my 2 cents

Would that constitute an "ad mission??"

In all seriousness, this is an INCLUSIONARY board, not one that is comfortable with "excluding" people and members from, in, and around our industry

For the record:

Ryan

Well, I think that this says all that needs to be said.....I for one DO NOT want FlowerChat closed. In the short time I have been a member here....I have learned so much and seen so many contributions that any problems are far out-weighed. Speaking only for myself - whatever is needed to keep FlowerChat going and open is A-OK with me !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.