Should this board be open to Home Based businesses?

Should flowerchat be open to non B & M "flower people"?

• No, Full Service industry insiders only

Votes: 53 38.4%
  • Absolutely, everyone has to start somewhere

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Only if they have some accreditation

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Perhaps (explain in post below)

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old photo of some of the original FC posters

a willingness to look at and consider the other ............ Or at least a healthy respect for each other's ...........back.............. Some of us became and remain friends to this day. And most of us both learned and taught a lot while carrying on. Even if it did sometimes scare the heck out of the thin-skinned ,.......................that .............was usually just entertainment ........................

Kinda makes me want to go out to some redneck bar and just pick a fight for old time's sake.

Going through some of the archive posts on FlowerChat, I found this old photo of some of the original FlowerChat posters.
http://www.henryclaymotorsports.com/misc/files/the guys.jpg ....I do not know who is who.

@@@@, I love this group. Okay, if you don't mind me lurking while I learn from all you wonderful professionals. I haven't totally given up on floral yet.. just need to take care of my family for awhile.

You guys are so wonderful. You really, really are. I am so impressed with you!!

xo,
Beth :~)

Please do.....stay that is.

Reactions: 1 person
Beth, I haven't given up on floral either... and I do believe I have things to share and learn. To me that's the point of the board. Those I can't learn from I tend to ignore... and I'm sure the same is true in reverse.

Glad you'll be staying, you too are a valuable member of this place.

V

I don't intend to upset or degrade or ridicule any one's opinion concerning a home-based business and whether or not that home business owner has a place on this board.......If the person is involved in the business of flowers, then they have a place.

Rick....I think the "original concept" of this board was meant to attract florists, ONLY florists, currently in the business. As things progressed, some very wonderful people in our industry, have moved on to other things, for ANY number of reasons, and had we applied our original agreed upon retention rules, some EXTREMELY valuable FC posters would have been lost to us!!
Some florists "moved" their businesses INTO their homes, when it became apparent, that the overheads could NOT be justified, and others, loved the business SO much, that they BEGAN their careers, whether full time, OR part time, from their homes!!
IF you had asked me 5 years ago...I'd likely have said...."ban them all, NO B&M, NO access to FC"
That was then, this is NOW, and reality within our industry, though valid, has changed, and we HAVE to change with it.
I didn't have to think ONE SECOND, when Beth bluntly offered to leave, because she is SO very aware of the intent of this board, and that her candid presence MIGHT be deemed as intrusionary, and we ALL would have had huge misgivings, if she left.
There are others, who may or may NOT return to the industry, that have tremendous experiences, that we'd all be deprived of, IF they had truly followed this thread, at it's height, and decided to leave, and we'd be spanking ourselves forever after.
Bluntly, ONCE you've done your time in this biz, I'm NOT so sure that ANYONE can just walk away, and NOT be involved.
So, the scope is to "control" entry to those that DON'T get it, and absolutely maintain contact with those people who love this place, and have much to contribute.

Reactions: 2 people
Going through some of the archive posts on FlowerChat, I found this old photo of some of the original FlowerChat posters.
http://www.henryclaymotorsports.com/misc/files/the guys.jpg ....I do not know who is who.

Yep, that's them....we "inherited" this forum, when we found some great memorabilia in a cave somewhere north of Toronto...and the guy on the right, looking into his pants, is Ryan (he can't believe what that thingy can do!!)

Yep, that's them....we "inherited" this forum, when we found some great memorabilia in a cave somewhere north of Toronto...and the guy on the right, looking into his pants, is Ryan (he can't believe what that thingy can do!!)

YOU guys are a hoot!! I like that.. Shows we all can get along and break the "at hand" to have a good laugh. Peace to you all.:cat:

That looks to be Luc, Mikey, Boss Mark, Me and Peter from Blossoms on the right.

Ryan

Yep he's right - I took the picture.

What a day

ahhh, Peter from blossoms - that's a blast from the past. Wonder if he'll threaten to sue us (again) for mentioning his name again.

"I sure do miss Hero, Katz, Bob Norton, and some of those more willing, able, and notable scrappers. I didn't always agree with them. Heck, I didn't often agree with them. But I sure did respect their willingness to state their opinions and debate them until the end. Kinda makes me want to go out to some redneck bar and just pick a fight for old time's sake."

;) Don't forget your "heelies" in case you need to make a quick get-a-way.

I remember those days on the FTD board... and I smile.

V

I sure do miss Hero, Katz, Bob Norton, and some of those more willing, able, and notable scrappers. I didn't always agree with them. Heck, I didn't often agree with them. But I sure did respect their willingness to state their opinions and debate them until the end. Kinda makes me want to go out to some redneck bar and just pick a fight for old time's sake.

I knw of one good contributing member here who got sorely burned (and I do mean sorely) by a certain one of those "willing scrappers" mentioned.

See if you can figure out who....

opinions do vary

;) Don't forget your "heelies" in case you need to make a quick get-a-way.

V

Good idea. Another good reason to wish for some "heelies".

I knw of one good contributing member here who got sorely burned (and I do mean sorely) by a certain one of those "willing scrappers" mentioned.

See if you can figure out who....

opinions do vary

If you're talking about "willing and able" scrappers, there was an error of omission. That would be yourself. But that's because you've remained on the boards and we seem to have sort of established a DMZ between us and established a truce of sorts on most subjects as we've grown older and, perhaps, mellowed a little. And I do know where you're coming from and sometimes even respect your position (even though I don't necessarily always agree with it) at least partially because of some of those old brawls that we participated in.

I have seen YOU burn and intentionally agitate more than a few people other than myself both here and elsewhere. So be careful if you're pointing fingers. Don't get 'em too close to the fire.

If you're talking about willing, but less able scrappers, I can think of one who claimed he was run off of the Floristboard by me, although I never could find anything in the Floristboard archives to support that charge or even remember him ever being on Floristboard.

He seemed to take personal offense every time I posted about ANY subject on here. So, yeah, we had a few scraps because I'm just not accustomed to backing down when attacked. And he got burned pretty good. As I said, he was "less able" and out of his league. He was one of those who thought he could dish it out without retaliation. Hopefully, I helped him grow up a notch or two as I taught him the painful lesson that life just doesn't work that way and that every action has a consequence.

I don't think I had anything to do with him leaving here, if that's what you're implying. Seems to me that he came into this business with the mistaken belief that he had radical new ideas which nobody else had tried that were going to instantly transform him from what he was into a successful florist. Actually, he was full of energy and he had some good ideas. I'm sorry if he didn't make it, although I'm not too surprised if he didn't.

I haven't seen him post on here in a long time or if he has, I missed it. But I do wish him the best and hope that he succeeds in this business if he chooses to stay in it. We need new blood and new ideas. And he was always thinking.

Only other case I can think of is where a poster who's still here started giving me a hard time and I got called down by Ryan for defending myself and responding in my typically genteel manner. Imagine that. I've got absolutely no apologies to make for that situation. I didn't start it. And any burn that got through before I got censored wasn't even close to what I was winding up to do. So it's probably a good thing that Ryan did intervene.

Did that about cover it? If not, you'd better refresh my memory. Cause that's about all of the excitement that's gotten outside of the "politically correct" format of this board that I can remember either being involved in or observing.

It's not always about you dear

I believe JB was referring to me and a debacle I had with one of them, so before you jump to conclusions that JB is "after" you again, take a deep breath...he was referring to me and the huge financial loss I took from one of those mentioned.
Nuff said.
Sher

Did that about cover it? If not, you'd better refresh my memory. Cause that's about all of the excitement that's gotten outside of the "politically correct" format of this board that I can remember either being involved in or observing.

Nope - sorry - I was being nebulous on purpose cuz I didn't feel it was really my place to name the "unprincipled" person.

I've always enjoyed scrapping with you Charlie. It's posters like you that make my world go round. Hero too. I luvs a good argument. And you never fail to deliver.

I'm always skirting the "political correctness" here as well, if you hadn't noticed. I'm glad you're here - you sourpus. :hug:

I'm a bit surprised more people don't dislike me, but for this year it seems to just be 12fux. Last year it was Tenley. Year before Shelby.

oh well, obviously...

opinions vary

I'm a bit surprised more people don't dislike me, but for this year it seems to just be 12fux. Last year it was Tenley. Year before Shelby.

oh well, obviously...

opinions vary

You're really into those pain meds if ya think I dislike ya. I'll argue with you all day long but I'm enjoying myself the whole time. Who could dislike someone who keeps things so stirred up and interesting?

Besides, you've been around long enough to earn the right to jump my case anytime ya want. I sure haven't hesitated to jump yours.

I believe JB was referring to me and a debacle I had with one of them, so before you jump to conclusions that JB is "after" you again, take a deep breath...he was referring to me and the huge financial loss I took from one of those mentioned.
Nuff said.
Sher

Actually, I thought he might be referring to the scrap that you and I had one time. Guess I was wrong. But that's ok. Been there before.

I musta missed the "debacle" during one of my sabbaticals from the board. Didn't know about it. Sorry you got "took", though. Always hate to hear about one florist doing that to another.

You're really into those pain meds if ya think I dislike ya. I'll argue with you all day long but I'm enjoying myself the whole time. Who could dislike someone who keeps things so stirred up and interesting?

Besides, you've been around long enough to earn the right to jump my case anytime ya want. I sure haven't hesitated to jump yours.

Helll no I said 12dux was the only one who hated me this year.

You need some pain meds - your reading comprehension ain't that great today amigo.....

I enjoy your presense here very much, and am preparing my next argument with you, as soon as I get the honeydo's out of the way (wife is painting the living room)

Actually, I thought he might be referring to the scrap that you and I had one time. Guess I was wrong. But that's ok. Been there before.

I musta missed the "debacle" during one of my sabbaticals from the board. Didn't know about it. Sorry you got "took", though. Always hate to hear about one florist doing that to another.

You must have a better memory than me...that high mountain air...do not remember much of a scrap....glad to see you back tho but darn, I am about to send you my b/p meds.. lol
The debacle was not published here but it was more than being "took"...another day another time and I will give you the whole story...pretty easy to figure out when you know the "person" involved...
You behave today, give JB a break until he can stand up on both legs and argue back real well...miss those mountains..send me a picture one day...loved Banner Elk...heat down here is like an oven...you can feel the hurricane changing the barometer already...even the dogs...the four legged ones are restless and it isn't coming here...
Sher

Status
Not open for further replies.