Should this board be open to Home Based businesses?

Should flowerchat be open to non B & M "flower people"?

• No, Full Service industry insiders only

Votes: 53 38.4%
  • Absolutely, everyone has to start somewhere

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Only if they have some accreditation

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Perhaps (explain in post below)

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious - has anyone except the credit card salesperson been excluded?

Happy birthday Tracy!!!! Hope the day was good to you.

V

Nope - there are a small number who haven't posted an intro message, but anyone who has posted as been admitted. Except for the CC guy. His rep got so low his account closed :)

Ryan

I thought so.

Thanks for the info.

Bb

Well, I have finally read all the post on this thread, alot of good ground covered. I don't know how to vote now, LOL, should of voted before reading the thread.
When I started out in this biz I was the floor sweeper/delivery person. I had no idea about classes, shows, or anything else of that matter!!! All I knew is that I was 19 yrs old and wanted to learn all I could about the biz. I was so excited, I went into a florist and asked if they were hiring, the lady laughed at me and said sweetie, go do something else you will NEVER MAKE it in this biz. I was crushed, I had Never had anyone tell me I Would Never make it in something in my life!!!! I had always worked hard at school, was in clubs at school and I wanted to learn very badly. I decided to go to another florist, to my surprise they told me the same thing! Well the 3rd florist I tried had a different attitude and I had a different attitude. I walked in and told her OK, listen, I will be honest and tell you I have been to 2 other florist and they sent me packing. She laughed, I thought Ok this is good, she is about to send me packing too!!! I said I am 19 just got out of Cosmetology school and I am very allergic to the perms so I can no longer do that, I have a passion about me to want to learn how to design flowers!!! She said HUM, I said OK listen I will Sweep the floors take out the trash, deliver, Anything at all as long as you will help me!!!! She took a chance on me, she hired me. For the first 3 weeks I delivered, swept, took out the trash, cut flowers, anything that was needed around the shop ( general flunky ). On my off days I went into the shop and let her show me basics ( no money, but helped deliver or etc in exchange, and when I got paid it wasn't anything to brag about), she had a book and etc and she would give me things to do that day and would test me on making something, or tieing a bow, or etc. Within 2 months, the 1st 2 shops I stopped at first, had seen some of my work and wanted to hire me, LOL, they didn't realize who I was becasue they never gave me the time of day when I asked them for a job. That was 16 yrs ago, I have since made what I consider many accomplishments, worked for shops, managed some shops, freelanced, and etc. I have taken some courses, gone to shows, taught basic and advanced Floral Design at a local college and now we have a shop of our own ( my husband and I, I do the designs, he does the books). I have been open a little over a month and things are going great, I have gotten more and more new customers everyday.
I live in a very small town, with about 15 B&M shops. not including the BB's that are around on the sides of the road at decoration time April-June ( not sure how many of you still do decoration times, decorating the graves at a certain time ,each time, every year.) or for the weddings. .
OK with all this rambling I am doing, Just divides me on the issue. Everyone has to start out somewhere and somehow. Designers in my area are few and far between ( TRUE DESIGNERS, NOT flower POKERS), I had 3 other shops call me within the past 2 months asking if I knew any designers that were looking for work.. The College called again about teaching the classes. I have a problem with teaching the classes because of all the BB that don't have to buy license, do taxes, insurance, rent and etc, while I do. But then again everyone has to start out somewhere so I am still divided. I think if your going to Design Flowers, then you should have a B&M OR work for a B&M OR if you are a HOME florist you should have a seperate place, NOT INSIDE your house, maybe behind, beside, etc.
I'm not tryin to be mean or get people to like or not like me on here.
OK maybe I made some since on here! Just trying to get people to see, like me years ago when I first started out, I wish I had of known of a board like this , that would have been awesome. I read alot on here and I don't post alot, LOL, I am better talking any day then typing, I have horrible writing skills, LOL,. But a brand new designer and all the knowledge here!!!! WOW, sort of would be like meeting some famous person you wanted to meet all your life, KNOWLEDGE is WISDOM!! Wisdom is the key to being a Great Designer!:boggles:

Reactions: 2 people
My 2 cents

I am with bloomz, and several of the ones that I look up to, I have been in this crazy business on my own for many many years, never in my home, and yes it does cost alot for some us to run our stores, and not in our homes, I know several shops have closed, moved into there home doing the same moaning now about retail shops, go figure that one out, I always thought this was a place for learning, I have, for darn sure ,yes I didn't post for quite some time, to many other issues to deal with, but talk to lots of your on the phone and email, when one has questions or needs for things, Heavens there was nothing like this when, I started out, yes, I do agree we all sweep the floors, clean toilets what ever needs to be done, in our shops, heavens I woudl love to wear my fuzzies some days, here it is 2;32 am and just finshing several projects for the AM, and still yet have to pay my bills, I don't care where you work, house or store, but it is so sad that the ones that have the houses are the ones who sit back and bash the others,yes you know who I am talking about when you read this, I work hard, as all of us, do, I just don't like the attitude that comes with those in there home that they are holier than I am, offer something to the mix. Like when asking a question, let us know that we helped you, and share more, Yes I do know someone on here who lost a large job because they posted about it somewhere, and the woman in there house took it right from them, It was ever so sad that happened when this person really needed the income at that time, and is still struggling, but I have went and helped her many times for free for my time, so I am will to share with others, at any given time,knowledge and time as well, Maybe I over stepped my bounds here, It just bites that as one Shope owner said today,If they are so good why they still in the basement. Well, I don't have the answer for that, But in my area they are coming down on the home based business. Well good night for now.

Reactions: 1 person
I disagree

I'm homebased. Having a homebased business does NOT mean lack of committment. I have completely converted a separate two car garage to include installing plumbing, walls and refrigeration. It took a LOT of convincing my husband of my committment for him to give up that garage!

I'm a professional who just happens to work from home. I only do weddings and events, so I admit when I read threads about every day design, I'm not as interested, but I'm always supportive of my fellow florists.

Another thing...even though my company name ends with the word design, I call my self a Floral STYLIST. God designed them.

Charlena, this is dredging up an old arguement.
The point being...
basement betty - no experience, works at home, no proper refrigeration NO training, no business affiliations, takes real customers away from the real florists...
I don't have a problem with "event, wedding only, or freelancers" as long as they have the education, pay business taxes, and are licensed as a business.
I do have a problem with people who think just because they "like to play" with flowers, they should open a floral shop in their home and start out by doing things for family and friends...without the benefit of both design education and business education.

And please, as it has been discussed many times before...let's not hash it out again???
(said smiling)

Charlena, this is dredging up an old arguement.
The point being...
basement betty - no experience, works at home, no proper refrigeration NO training, no business affiliations, takes real customers away from the real florists...
I don't have a problem with "event, wedding only, or freelancers" as long as they have the education, pay business taxes, and are licensed as a business.
I do have a problem with people who think just because they "like to play" with flowers, they should open a floral shop in their home and start out by doing things for family and friends...without the benefit of both design education and business education.

And please, as it has been discussed many times before...let's not hash it out again???
(said smiling)

I agree with Rhonda to the millionth degree. We've been here, done this - it's old hat. If you properly process and design flowers...this conversation doesn't pertain to you. However, if you are buying flowers from Sam's Club and reselling them to brides at cost sans cooler then you probably are what is being discussed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.