Should this board be open to Home Based businesses?

Should flowerchat be open to non B & M "flower people"?

• No, Full Service industry insiders only

Votes: 53 38.4%
  • Absolutely, everyone has to start somewhere

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Only if they have some accreditation

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Perhaps (explain in post below)

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh goodness. After reading this thread (or most of it), I have to deduce that I really don't belong.

After working for 2 years in the field, I have moved on. I probably won't return tp floral any time soon. I have 4 kids to help support, 3 of them going to college in a year. I have to make the best money I can, and be home as much as I can, at the same time. I can't do that in floral... at least not with my current level of experience. I can see myself returning to a shop when my kids are all grown, but that will be at least 10 years from now, and I will be 62 then and even MORE tired than I am now. LOL

I know I don't have much to contribute. I have learned a lot from you, and I love this board, and I feel comfortable here. But the bottom line is I'm no longer in the field, and I really don't have much to offer. I believe I probably should quit the group. Good luck with setting whatever boundaries you need to keep the group pertinent and somewhat private. I support your efforts. I will miss you all here, but I understand your goals, and I feel that they are appropriate.

Hugs,
Beth :~)

BETH...I WILL MISS YOU!!

So what's the point? Do y'all just need a club to belong to or something?

Hmmm "The Good Old Boys Club". That is the direction it would eventually go. Personally I have always felt being outside that elite club. So why not give them a little section of their own? I'm not saying I want to be part of it "and mostl likely not excepted" .

I think that the application process is very fair...Requireing much more could perhaps become to personal.

However I don't see the reason why so many do not include complete info. Specificly a Web URL. I can't understand why so many withhold that. If I am checking on a member I like to visit their website "if they have one". It dosen't take much to find it on the web it just makes it easier when the URL link is available on their profile.

Are you saying that some of what all of us post are trivial info??? I guess trivial info is all relevant to where you are in business,,, My info may be very trivial to some because I have a very small insignifigant business... So am I like those posters to some of the bigger shops...do some of my questions come off as rudimentary???

Absolutely not Lori - if you check your reputation deals you'll see several positive ones from me. You are a new shop owner, not someone trying to break into the industry - you're already here and I am glad to help as I can anyone who is newer than me

I ass-u-me that they are most likely folks that did not participate or post much....

:buttkick <<<< Me kicking JB in his bad leg, with my bad leg :kuddle:

They used to contribute very regularly but have given up, and were also founding members of floristboard as we are too (u & me with the bad legz)

not yet involved in this thread, it IS the perfect opportunity to voice your views, and why democracy works best.
You witnessed some "extremes" here, and for very good reason....the posters to this thread, are very agitated and frustrated, that we cannot pass go, because we are NOT all moving in the same direction.
These very events blow apart political parties all the time, they blow apart friendships, and candidly they create anxiety, and fear amongst less aggressive people.
Every contributor to this thread has stated their case, and MOST of the reasons for attempting to MAKE their case, and though this is NOT a legal "trial" by any means, you MUST make your opinions heard. and you MUST read through ALL the posts, and you MUST be just as candid, and hard headed about what it is you are saying!!
I have the greatest respect for those that challenge the status quo, and I have the utmost respect for all that voice it.
This is a fantastic thread, one of the VERY BEST ever witnessed at FlowerChat,,,because of the very people involved, and because it comes from their heart!!

Excellently stated Mikey and that's why it was posted cuz ya know...opinions vary

Oh goodness. After reading this thread (or most of it), I have to deduce that I really don't belong.

I know I don't have much to contribute. I have learned a lot from you, and I love this board, and I feel comfortable here. But the bottom line is I'm no longer in the field, and I really don't have much to offer. I believe I probably should quit the group. Good luck with setting whatever boundaries you need to keep the group pertinent and somewhat private. I support your efforts. I will miss you all here, but I understand your goals, and I feel that they are appropriate.

Hugs,

Wow what a nice, understanding, respectful post Beth. You're a peach.

Reactions: 1 person
Beth makes a good point! some of us would love store front in town but it's not the "season" in our life at this point. We have family's and husband and demands but also love the biz and want to stay current so we work at home or in our studios. So we can be close to the kids or whatever but not be out of it totally. When it becomes our "turn" we return to our dreams of having a place in town. ~Tracy

After working for 2 years in the field, I have moved on. I probably won't return tp floral any time soon. I have 4 kids to help support, 3 of them going to college in a year. I have to make the best money I can, and be home as much as I can, at the same time. I can't do that in floral... at least not with my current level of experience. I can see myself returning to a shop when my kids are all grown, but that will be at least 10 years from now, and I will be 62 then and even MORE tired than I am now. LOL

Hugs,

You're not allowed to leave! :)

Joe

Wow!

I'm not out to limit participation in this industry in any way. I'd like to see it grow. Even locally . . . and I don't feel threatened by those who start out in homes. A growing industry is a healthy industry that is good for all of us. A shrinking industry is a dying industry. And right now, unless we do something to turn it around, this industry is dying around us as we sit and watch it. I think the type of thinking demonstrated by the supporters of this idea will only do more to hasten that demise rather than postpone it.

The Bloomz persistence on this subject and his definition of "majority" have raised questions in my mind. I can respect an opinion. But not distorting the obvious facts to support an apparent agenda or justify a decision that I now suspect has already been made.

Seems to me that a few "influentials" i.e. "tenures" are determined to turn this forum into a limited membership mutual backslapping society for those that agree to agree with each other and fit their definition of florist i.e. "good old boy". Kinda reminds me of the crap that the "Black Hats" pulled in the old FTD. Same definition of "majority" and apparently pretty much similar tactics.

I definitely won't fit into that mold. So y'all Black Hats and Black Hat followers have at it if that's the way you're determined to go. I can do without you just as I'm sure some of you would prefer to do without my demonstrated willingness to bluntly say EXACTLY WHAT I THINK ! ! ! And I'm sure you won't miss my refusal to alter my opinions to a sufficient level of "be nice" on occasion when less than nice would seem more appropriate and more effective.

Having formed this opinion, which I'm sure will be ridiculed as radical by the Black Hats, after receiving a rather ridiculous e-mail from a FC Member after posting my opinion on this string, I'd guess that's exactly what you had in mind, anyway.

Go for it. Sounds like it's a done deal anyway. The tone of the supportive posts and the e-mail that I received yesterday have more than convinced me that this string and poll is just a smokescreen to justify what the "majority" of "tenures" has already decided.

I predict you'll be quite successful at creating even more lack of unity and devisiveness in a dying industry which desperately needs a unifying presence which is supportive of all who are willing to be a part of it if it is to survive.

Well, it's good to know that you don't feel threatened by those who start out in homes, because as I stated in another post, I did almost 20 years ago.

But, if you are referring to my "PM" to you where I suggested joining another forum because you had mentioned the "lurkers"--it was just a SUGGESTION, not a radical movement by "black hats". I personally have found this forum to be quite insightful and full of great tidbits for my business.

not yet involved in this thread, it IS the perfect opportunity to voice your views, and why democracy works best.
You witnessed some "extremes" here, and for very good reason....the posters to this thread, are very agitated and frustrated, that we cannot pass go, because we are NOT all moving in the same direction.
These very events blow apart political parties all the time, they blow apart friendships, and candidly they create anxiety, and fear amongst less aggressive people.
Every contributor to this thread has stated their case, and MOST of the reasons for attempting to MAKE their case, and though this is NOT a legal "trial" by any means, you MUST make your opinions heard. and you MUST read through ALL the posts, and you MUST be just as candid, and hard headed about what it is you are saying!!
I have the greatest respect for those that challenge the status quo, and I have the utmost respect for all that voice it.
This is a fantastic thread, one of the VERY BEST ever witnessed at FlowerChat,,,because of the very people involved, and because it comes from their heart!!

I am thankful for all that I have learned on FC over the course of this year. It's been helpful as a "small" flower shop to get help on many levels, especially in getting a new, non-TF website up and running....(finger's crossed.)

Wow, it must be nice to be independently wealthy and dapple with flowers as a past-time. I'm impressed. You must feel it's just too bad for those that work at this to make a living for themselves and their employees!

Sorry. Can't say that I'm impressed that you're impressed.

If it burst your bubble to find out that someone on here just might have a little more actual business experience and education than yourself and that someone might not agree with you, that's your problem. Not mine. I didn't bring it up until you decided to get personal.

Like I predicted, you consider me to be a hobbyist. You probably don't have the credentials for your opinion to matter and the tasteless personal tone of your attacks makes it impossible for me to respect you or your opinion anyway. So your opinion is of no significance.

It's true that I started with a hobby shop in mind. It was a full time B&M shop, though. And that was some time ago. Unfortunately, as with every other business I've been involved in, I couldn't be satisfied. So I went to work seeing what I could do to make it perform. And I did. And it did. And, believe me, it did NOT take either rocket science or outside wealth to do it.

Having not grown up in this industry, I, perhaps, find it a little easier to think out of the box. I have brought ideas and viewpoints and methods from experiences in other industries with me and modified them to floral use and used them freely. Like I said before (no offense intended), the retail florist industry is not rocket science, no matter what you'd like to believe. It's pretty easy to apply basic proven business principles and methods to it to make it work. Add the skills of a designer, which is no harder than adding the skills of a mechanic, machinist, jet pilot, or code writer to other types of businesses, and you've got the basics of a going retail florist business. Stir in a little marketing and promoting which is based on something a little more sophisticated than the pure guesswork traditionally used by most florists, and it's not too hard to kick butt in an area and an industry where most still insist on doing everything pretty much the same way they or those before them did it in the 50's.

As a result of using the above principles, what started out as the smallest B&M shop in two counties grew to three locations (one of which was larger than any other shop in the two counties) delivering, at one time, more arrangements per day than any other outfit in the two counties. The only time we've shown an annual decrease in deliveries is during the first year after discontinuing the filling of wire orders. Even then, our bottom line increased. And we've maintained annual growth rates of 15-40% each year.

Even though we no longer service wire orders, I'd still put us in the top 3 in total #'s of deliveries in the two counties and probably top 1 or 2 in numbers of non wire arrangements delivered. We are indisputably #1 in deliveries of non wire arrangements originating from out of the area. And that's pretty important in a tourist area.

I don't think that's too shabby for "dappling in a past time". Besides, I'd put the number of hours I've put into making this business grow and succeed up against you any time. And I don't even know you. Or your business.

So there's the basis for any "secrets" I may have successfully used. I've shared them before so I've got no problem sharing them now. Most anybody with a business education and real world business experience already knows my secrets. But if my competitors or any other florist can get something out of them to make them stronger and more successful, more power to them.

A lot of businesses which aren't operated by small-thinking people with limited vision consider good strong competition to be good for their business and the industry as a whole. I agree. And I wish more people in this industry felt that way. If they did, perhaps they could understand that they are being raped and ravaged daily by all of the predator operations that are becoming wealthy at the expense of florist businesses that are operated by ill-equipped management. And they'd understand that they, as a group, could bring that misuse, abuse, and destruction of the industry to a screeching halt overnight if they'd just agree to not disagree with each other over petty and insignificant non-issues and do it.

Shouldn't take much effort beyond trusting each other enough to do it and agreeing to do it. But I don't see it ever happening so long as some of us are too jealous of others to even look at viewpoints and experiences that might be helpful to us because of who has them. Or maybe some of us are afraid that others of us might be more successful or more educated or more experienced than we are. Or maybe some of us would just rather argue and further fragment our ranks over silly issues like protecting alleged, and largely non-existent, proprietary trade secrets from the prying eyes of those who really don't matter at all. And probably don't even care.

Regardless, this string may well illustrate, more than anything else I've seen in recent times, exactly why the Mom and Pop retail florist industry, as we know it, is almost assuredly doomed to failure and extinction as the current generation of florists dies off and goes out of business. We won't agree to join together to fight our enemies and save ourselves because it's easier to act like cats and fight each other while the real enemies are circling for the kill.

Does anybody wonder why wires service executives have been brazen enough to openly brag about this being an industry that's ripe for the picking?

I don't.

Reactions: 2 people
Ryan's Baby, Ryan's Decision.

One chief, the rest of the indians will follow. Or not.

I'm sure it was a piece of cake for Ryan to program the chat board, without any human intervention. But the humans came DARN IT. Now the next chapter in Ryan's Baby will be born.

This just proves again that, opinions vary. Got to love Bloomzie, but then again, opinions vary.

But, if you are referring to my "PM" to you where I suggested joining another forum because you had mentioned the "lurkers"--it was just a SUGGESTION, not a radical movement by "black hats". I personally have found this forum to be quite insightful and full of great tidbits for my business.

I am thankful for all that I have learned on FC over the course of this year. It's been helpful as a "small" flower shop to get help on many levels, especially in getting a new, non-TF website up and running....(finger's crossed.)

Wasn't your PM. As I stated, it was an e-mail. But your alerting me to the presence of a paid forum which I hadn't previously noticed did nothing to reduce my previously stated suspicions. And, as I said, time will tell.

Did I mention lurkers? Maybe. But I don't remember it. Regardless, they don't bother me.

I, too, have found ALL of the forums to be useful over the years. I'm thankful for that, also. And I've tried to give back as much as I've received. Sometimes it's kinda hard to do and not very well received when so many people within the industry are so solidly entrenched within the box and I'm located so far out of the box. But I've still tried.

Being that I am new to this board does this conversation go on a lot? Is it a on going debate? Just was wondering if it's them against us type of thing? Thanks~Tracy:wallhead:

Having not grown up in this industry, I, perhaps, find it a little easier to think out of the box. I have brought ideas and viewpoints and methods from experiences in other industries with me and modified them to floral use and used them freely.

Thats where most of us are coming from. Using our experience from other industries and using the best of both to create something that was never attempted by the generation florist.

Again cutting off this flow of new blood and new ideas from florist and non florist alike is not the answer.

Being that I am new to this board does this conversation go on a lot? Is it a on going debate? Just was wondering if it's them against us type of thing? Thanks~Tracy:wallhead:

It used to go on a lot. On other boards, anyway. Hasn't been a whole lot of it on any of the boards lately. And it's got little to do with us against them. It's more about florists with passion and strong viewpoints willingly airing and debating those points. I had about decided that everybody who mattered or cared had just given up on the industry. Maybe this string offers some hope.

Florists are fiercely independent and often very opinionated business men and women. Strong debate and discussion are sure signs that somebody actually cares. And that's good for the industry. Personally, I'm glad to see a little of it come back.

Don't let anybody on here or the tone of debates intimidate you. Your voice is as important as anybody's. Don't be frightened off or offended by them. They should be viewed as a spectator sport if you don't have an opinion or otherwise don't want to participate. You have the option of watching, participating, or going on to something else which may be a little tamer and more to your taste. And that's OK, too.

Believe me when I tell you that comparing what goes on here to what used to happen daily on the old FTD board is like comparing the Ladies Wednesday Morning Garden Club to a Tough Man Contest on Saturday night or something similar. Ask Mark Smith. He was one of the more interesting (and bloody) sparring partners at times when he was better known as "Boss". But then he had to go and get all "dignified" on us and ruin it all (Just funning, Mark).

Both the FTD board and F Board got fairly bloody at times. But, in the end, most of us ended up the debates with at least a willingness to look at and consider the other viewpoints. Or at least a healthy respect for each other's willingness to back our points of view. Some of us became and remain friends to this day. And most of us both learned and taught a lot while carrying on. Even if it did sometimes scare the heck out of the thin-skinned and uninitiated who hadn't quite figured out that a lot of it was usually just entertainment for most of the participants.

I sure do miss Hero, Katz, Bob Norton, and some of those more willing, able, and notable scrappers. I didn't always agree with them. Heck, I didn't often agree with them. But I sure did respect their willingness to state their opinions and debate them until the end. Kinda makes me want to go out to some redneck bar and just pick a fight for old time's sake.

lord it's scary to even tread into this, but because of mikey's encouragment here goes my .02
I'm sure flowerchat is something different for each of us. For me it is a wonderful community of people fighting the same battles and sharing all the wonderful and difficult things about this business. I appreciate the give and take of ideas and encouargment and would greatly miss you all.
I am very glad it's not my job to set the boundries and know that it will be difficult for those of you that have to.
It doesn't take to long to spot the folks that are cluless and just ignore them.
I appreciate all that I've learned from you and the inspiration that you are to me.
I would like for this board to remain professional, but with the understanding that we don't all have the same business model. And I don't think we have to to have something to contribute.
enought with the BS already!

It used to go on a lot. On other boards, anyway. Hasn't been a whole lot of it on any of the boards lately. And it's got little to do with us against them. It's more about florists with passion and strong viewpoints willingly airing and debating those points. I had about decided that everybody who mattered or cared had just given up on the industry. Maybe this string offers some hope.

Florists are fiercely independent and often very opinionated business men and women. Strong debate and discussion are sure signs that somebody actually cares. And that's good for the industry. Personally, I'm glad to see a little of it come back.

Don't let anybody on here or the tone of debates intimidate you. Your voice is as important as anybody's. Don't be frightened off or offended by them. They should be viewed as a spectator sport if you don't have an opinion or otherwise don't want to participate. You have the option of watching, participating, or going on to something else which may be a little tamer and more to your taste. And that's OK, too.

Believe me when I tell you that comparing what goes on here to what used to happen daily on the old FTD board is like comparing the Ladies Wednesday Morning Garden Club to a Tough Man Contest on Saturday night or something similar. Ask Mark Smith. He was one of the more interesting (and bloody) sparring partners at times when he was better known as "Boss". But then he had to go and get all "dignified" on us and ruin it all (Just funning, Mark).

Both the FTD board and F Board got fairly bloody at times. But, in the end, most of us ended up the debates with at least a willingness to look at and consider the other viewpoints. Or at least a healthy respect for each other's willingness to back our points of view. Some of us became and remain friends to this day. And most of us both learned and taught a lot while carrying on. Even if it did sometimes scare the heck out of the thin-skinned and uninitiated who hadn't quite figured out that a lot of it was usually just entertainment for most of the participants.

I sure do miss Hero, Katz, Bob Norton, and some of those more willing, able, and notable scrappers. I didn't always agree with them. Heck, I didn't often agree with them. But I sure did respect their willingness to state their opinions and debate them until the end. Kinda makes me want to go out to some redneck bar and just pick a fight for old time's sake.

That is the single, most eye-opening post I have read on this forum. It puts a lot of the bickering into perspective for me. Makes me understand some here a little better.

Gotta' love an historical viewpoint.

Thanks hcflorist!

This reply of mine is probably going to open up a huge can of worms.....but I think this entire thread defeats itself.
What do I mean by that? In essence - Bloomz began with the poll about home-based businesses - Operative word - BUSINESS.

Whether or not we are based from home or from a store-front - we are still in the floral business. A Business person is in business to make money.

This thread might have been more appropriately made concerning thos persons who love flowers but are NOT involved in business......i.e. hobbyists, garden-clubbers, bored housewives, etc.

So....If exclusions need to be made......Excluding a business person....whether home based or storefront should not be the exclusion.

I don't intend to upset or degrade or ridicule any one's opinion concerning a home-based business and whether or not that home business owner has a place on this board.......If the person is involved in the business of flowers, then they have a place.

This reply of mine is probably going to open up a huge can of worms.....but I think this entire thread defeats itself.
What do I mean by that? In essence - Bloomz began with the poll about home-based businesses - Operative word - BUSINESS.

Whether or not we are based from home or from a store-front - we are still in the floral business. A Business person is in business to make money.

This thread might have been more appropriately made concerning thos persons who love flowers but are NOT involved in business......i.e. hobbyists, garden-clubbers, bored housewives, etc.

So....If exclusions need to be made......Excluding a business person....whether home based or storefront should not be the exclusion.

I don't intend to upset or degrade or ridicule any one's opinion concerning a home-based business and whether or not that home business owner has a place on this board.......If the person is involved in the business of flowers, then they have a place.

There ya go! What I would have said if I could have said it so well!

Exactly Beth. You have a lot to offer because of your experience.

V

Beth and others:

I want to make a comment and give a good reason why someone like Beth should feel welcome here at FC

Beth, has worked in a flower shop, has taken design classes, but her previous employer didn't want to move her into a designer role.

She wants to learn and we need to help her anyway possible. I love talking to people about good design. I am talking about designs that sells and makes you money. Not artsy stuff that won't sell. Flower arrangements that make Money!

Beth is also faced with the dilemma, that her passion and desire to work in a flower shop as a designer doesn't affored her the pay she desires.

Sorry, Beth, but I don't know what to say about florist's pay, but it is what it is and the market dictates what it is. I hope that wasn't too confusing. :rolleyes:

I think, Beth leaving FC would be a travesty!

She is here to learn and develop knowledge in order to advance her career.

I will always be more than willing and also find it satisfying, to help teach and pass on what I know to people like Beth.

We as florists should encourage people with her will and desire for this business.

Beth, you better not leave or else! ;)

Could you all be any nicer?

@@@@, I love this group. Okay, if you don't mind me lurking while I learn from all you wonderful professionals. I haven't totally given up on floral yet.. just need to take care of my family for awhile.

You guys are so wonderful. You really, really are. I am so impressed with you!!

xo,

Beth and others:

I want to make a comment and give a good reason why someone like Beth should feel welcome here at FC

Beth, has worked in a flower shop, has taken design classes, but her previous employer didn't want to move her into a designer role.

She wants to learn and we need to help her anyway possible. I love talking to people about good design. I am talking about designs that sells and makes you money. Not artsy stuff that won't sell. Flower arrangements that make Money!

Beth is also faced with the dilemma, that her passion and desire to work in a flower shop as a designer doesn't affored her the pay she desires.

Sorry, Beth, but I don't know what to say about florist's pay, but it is what it is and the market dictates what it is. I hope that wasn't too confusing. :rolleyes:

I think, Beth leaving FC would be a travesty!

She is here to learn and develop knowledge in order to advance her career.

I will always be more than willing and also find it satisfying, to help teach and pass on what I know to people like Beth.

We as florists should encourage people with her will and desire for this business.

Beth, you better not leave or else! ;)

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.