Should this board be open to Home Based businesses?

Should flowerchat be open to non B & M "flower people"?

• No, Full Service industry insiders only

Votes: 53 38.4%
  • Absolutely, everyone has to start somewhere

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Only if they have some accreditation

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Perhaps (explain in post below)

Votes: 12 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
shall we add to the poll? it's quite old.

tracy

Why did only one respond to that poll?? Was the activity low at that time?? Shouldn't that be a question on the app to belong here??? Just a few questions that come to mind

Sorry just realized you had to vot on something to see how many votes...17 thats it....

Crikey Mikey!!!

Darn it...I don't like that poll much. LOL. I helped Mom and Dad build our first flowershop when I was 15. At that time I held the esteemed positions of delivery boy and water boy. Then I drifted off into the truly dull world of accounting.

I have never really been a florist - and I am still not a florist. I know florists, I like florists, I like flowers, I have three shops. I'm a darn good beancounter. I have personally spoken to Gaylon Pyle. I buy a lot of the flowers for my sister. But honestly, I barely know an Alsto from my Ahole.

Are you going to give the "BOOT TOO"?

It's kind of odd, I like it here, and feel like a have made good friends here. I have tried to contribute on the few areas where I have some expertise. It seems funny to think, that I am not qualified.

Where do I fit in?

All the best,

I've had 27 years in the floral industry. I must admit, when I was starting out I would have benefitted tremendously from a site like this... who knew then.

I too am rather baffled at some of the very basic questions that are posted here on occasion. I shake my head and wonder how on earth these poor folks are going to survive without basic knowledge. So, perhaps there can be a different criteria for membership here. Something that will weed out the people who don't have any idea of this industry... a simple questionaire should take care of that.

Personally I am happy to share what knowledge I have, if asked. And by the same token I'm always grateful to all who help me learn new things.

I look at Wink's page and designs and there is no doubt in my mind that someone of her calibre and intelligence should be here. We can learn alot from her... I already have. Matters not to me if she's in a shed or a shop, she has something to offer.

Does anyone remember the first confrontation we had on this issue back in the day? The "lady" in question was from the prairies... and well, worked from home. There was an experience in human relations. ;)

Like Clarke said, I too think all are welcome here as long as they have something positive to offer and have some real knowledge.

V

Darn it...I don't like that poll much. LOL. I helped Mom and Dad build our first flowershop when I was 15. At that time I held the esteemed positions of delivery boy and water boy. Then I drifted off into the truly dull world of accounting.

I have never really been a florist - and I am still not a florist. I know florists, I like florists, I like flowers, I have three shops. I'm a darn good beancounter. I have personally spoken to Gaylon Pyle. I buy a lot of the flowers for my sister. But honestly, I barely know an Alsto from my Ahole.

Are you going to give the "BOOT TOO"?

It's kind of odd, I like it here, and feel like a have made good friends here. I have tried to contribute on the few areas where I have some expertise. It seems funny to think, that I am not qualified.

Where do I fit in?

All the best,

So, Mike, that is how you came to be flower shop oriented.. I had no idea that your parents had a flower shop....

Hey Texas... you have my vote. :)

V

I agree with many people in this thread... If someone has experience or advice to offer to the floral industry, why shut them out? What does it matter if they operate out of a store or a home? When I moved cities, I had no other choice than to work out of my home until I found a storefront.
My issue is with hobbyists who decide playing with flowers is "fun" and they'll do a few weddings here and there because they like it. Those people are the ones asking questions like "where do you buy roses?".

In my last year on this board, I have come accross many more pros than hobbyists, so I hardly believe we are threatned on this board by unqualified basement betties. This being said, the danger is that this board is open to anyone with an internet connection, and we end up educating these hobbyists on how to do things properly.

I think unqualified home based "designers" are a threat whether they are on this board or not, because their prices are appealing and there's nothing the B&M can do to compete. There are quite a few in my area, so I've had to learn to adapt my business so I can survive.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of a "test" or something to be accepted in here....

Julie

Lally's Bouquet
www.lallybouquet.com

Hey Texas... you have my vote. :)

V

Mine too - as long as you are associated with a full service florist.

I agree with many people in this thread... If someone has experience or advice to offer to the floral industry, why shut them out? What does it matter if they operate out of a store or a home? When I moved cities, I had no other choice than to work out of my home until I found a storefront.
all of the reasons were discussed in the home marketing thread - many of us here don't like giving information to competitors. Many of us need weddings to get thru the slow summers.

My issue is with hobbyists who decide playing with flowers is "fun" and they'll do a few weddings here and there because they like it. Those people are the ones asking questions like "where do you buy roses?".

In my last year on this board, I have come accross many more pros than hobbyists, so I hardly believe we are threatned on this board by unqualified basement betties. This being said, the danger is that this board is open to anyone with an internet connection, and we end up educating these hobbyists on how to do things properly.

I think unqualified home based "designers" are a threat whether they are on this board or not, because their prices are appealing and there's nothing the B&M can do to compete. There are quite a few in my area, so I've had to learn to adapt my business so I can survive.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of a "test" or something to be accepted in here....

Julie

Lally's Bouquet
www.lallybouquet.com

Some kind of a test or a thread where one could post their credentials then be voted in? (what's the name for that? jury'd?)

Sounds complicated I know. But vital. Maybe some would volunteer to try to check credentials - I likely would.

Remember, many say that being too open is what killed the floristboard - once the best resources in the industry and now a ghost of being the original forum.

As to the poll - it looks like the Full Service Florists have the vote.

Maybe some would volunteer to try to check credentials - I likely would.

Count me in. But, there would have to be some sort of criteria set up in advance...shutting out your competing full service florist would not be fair play.

Some of the things that I have found in the last few days would shock most of you...I'm not going into details but on the first page of google you would find more than one reason to have not accepted a new member or two.

Just sayin'.

all of the reasons were discussed in the home marketing thread - many of us here don't like giving information to competitors. Many of us need weddings to get thru the slow summers.
Bloomz, I'm one of those florists that need weddings to get through the summer.... I have read the entire "marketing for home business", which completely degenerated into a full on war.

I also believe that we are all competitors... we are all trying to get people to buy from our own stores and not from the guy next door...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with home-based businesses who never evolve into a store or studio. I just have to learn to compete with them on matters other than price because no matter how much I don't like them, they seem to be here to stay. I also don't like that Costco, Sam's Club, and most grocery stores now do wedding flowers, but I again have to find a way to compete with them too.

I also don't like that Costco, Sam's Club, and most grocery stores now do wedding flowers, but I again have to find a way to compete with them too.

I agree but I sure don't and won't ever share how-to's with them. Which is what I have found as one part of competing - the things I have learned to do better than them are inside information learned over years of experience.

And they can @@@@ well learn the hard way just like I did. Or - preferably - give up on selling flowers like the grocery stores in my city are starting to do and leave it to the Professional Real Florists.

sorry...

And hey, how's about that REAL FLORIST battle cry?

Let's hear it!

FlowerChat Meta info

And hey, how's about that REAL FLORIST battle cry?

Let's hear it!

I think the FlowerChat.com Meta Title/Description pretty much sums it up;

"Powered by florists!The FlowerChat member directory, listing florists and vendors in Canada and the USA. ... Please note that this is a link to forums not maintained by ... "

Also, the Meta Keywords;

"florist information,real florist,real florist blog,flower chat,florist discussion,florist board,florist chat"

I have to say that I am very concerned and its really hard for me to put into words what I think about this thread.

As I posted in another thread

Any Censorship to this board would be a mistake.

Does my 10 years of managing flipping tacos qualify me?
Or the 10 years of repairing video games?
How about the fact that my wife has no credentials for this industry?
Working out of our apartment with weddings and small events.
Doing her own wedding flowers?

I totally disagree with any of this.

Guess what guys I have learned from you. And have I not given back any? Isn't that how it suppose to work here? Take a little give a little keep sharing.

But its not my decision is it. What a shame. What a shame...

you

You guys can make all the rationalizaions you want but you will not get a open exchange of ideas if the board allows maybe-florists.

Plus it really doesn't matter how you got into the business, what matters is that you are in it today.

You guys can make all the rationalizaions you want but you will not get a open exchange of ideas if the board allows maybe-florists.

Plus it really doesn't matter how you got into the business, what matters is that you are in it today.

Your first statement (not getting an open exchange of ideas), is also what I fear.

Your second statement just might be my nomination for Quote of the Day.

I think the dilemma lies in determining what "in the business" means.

tracy

When my local competition was a member here before she closed her shop I shared info completely differently, and will again be doing so.

Maybe it's time to be sharing some disinformation.

Uh huh. That's kinda been my attitude for a long time since I'm well aware that local competitors and wholesalers may very well be reading these posts.

The questions posed do seem to have become more and more "basic" lately. I've viewed that as a confirmation of my beliefs that this industry has been taken over largely by people who shouldn't even be in business. But maybe it's at least partially an indication that newbies and wannabees are taking advantage of what little "meat and potatoes" information remains on this board to figure out how to get into this business. But if they're depending on what is on this board to tell them how to successfully get into this business, I'd still say they shouldn't even be in business. They're just a disaster that's looking for a place to happen.

My point is that questions of the newbies that are popping up on this board are all the proof that I need that they're no threat at all. They're not going to learn enough here to save them from themselves.

I hope this post doesn't come off as too controversial.. but a few thoughts.

My husband's a wedding photographer - and a @@@@ good one, I've got to say. Yes, he's good technically - he's a big nerd who knows SO much about settings, lighting, etc etc etc.. but you know what makes him stand out? The way he relates to the clients, his ability to set them at ease, etc. If you saw the photos in the "guestbook" images I posted in the "the big day is almost here" thread, you'll know what I mean.

His industry is having a major problem with what new technology is bringing. I haven't seen any common names for it, but they're basically the basement bettys of the photographic world - someone plunks some cash down on a camera (cheaper every day!), and suddenly, they're a wedding photographer. I keep an eye out on some forums every once in awhile, and the similarities between that and basement betties are astounding - the disappointed brides, people upset that these new photographers haven't "paid their dues".. people joining because it "looks like fun", or that they think they'll make a lot of money with little work (ha!)... and no real technical knowledge. "What is an F stop?" is shockingly similar to "why did my roses wilt?", ya know?

The thing is, his industry deals with it in a totally different way. I don't know if this will help or not, but I'll post in the hopes it does.

Yes, there is a LOT of @@@@@ing about it.. but there are a lot of other views that come into play across the board:

- Many people are almost glad to see these people take cheap/problem/etc brides off their hands. The pros would rather deal with the brides that want GOOD work, and will pay the $2500+, rather than even CONSIDER trusting it to a $500 photographer.

- Many people that have been around have pointed out that it's cyclical. I'm assuming it's the same way for flowers.. as it seems to be with all other aspects of weddings - You'll go through a period of "decadence", no expenses spared, etc... then the DIY/Uncle Bob's Camera... then it comes around again.

- Many photographers are of the opinion that for every wedding a $500 photographer does/screws up, they have ALL that brides' friends and family learning from her mistake. THIS ONE IS KEY. The most common comment from a DIY bride after the wedding seems to be "I didn't have any time to enjoy my day". Ya think many of her friends will do the same? Same with the "I wish I'd spent a bit more on photography and gotten a DECENT photographer!"

- Kind of an extension to that one.. have you SEEN some of the basement betty arrangements? Felicity will be grinning right now.. but seriously. I can't think of a better advertisement to spend more $$ on a PRO! These guys are advertising for us!! I love when a bride somes to me and tells me about the awful basement betty story her friend went through, that scared her into finding someone good.

- This one here is also important. There's an acknowledgement in the photography industry that you can be a medicore photographer, and thrive.. but the best photographer in the country and FAIL.. that the photography itself comes secondary to the BUSINESS.. much as they hate that fact, they acknowledge it. To be a successful florist, you have to be a good BUSINESS PERSON. How many basement bettys are? I'd say starting out without the permits, insurance, licensing, taxes, etc.. doesn't really start you off on a good foot. B&M/Legit event florists have this as a benefit. Unprofessional sites, sketchy practices, unpro portfolios.. it can't compete with Nice ads, nice photos, pro sites, ADVERTISING, happy customers, etc etc. Basement Bettys attract basement CLIENTS.

- There's a very complicated theory about clients, their budgets, expectations, "class", etc. I wouldn't really be able to paraphrase it well here, but it's pretty sound, I think. Basically, the idea is that there are 3 main types of brides: "Budget", "Average", and "Upper End". Name any of these whatever you want - I don't remember what they were called in this series of posts I'm talking about! Basically.. when the market is flooded with "budget" providers, it elevates the price/expectation of the levels above them.. and is actually a good thing. There are always more people willing to pay a decent price for good quality than there are those who want to pay as cheap as possible for dubious quality. Most people fall in that "mid price-good quality range, then less in the cheap group.. and about the same-ish in the "extravagent" range. It ends up that people in the mid-high range should be happy about not being in the cheap range. If anyone's interested, I could look it up again and explain it better.

- A thought/idea is just that. I realize that, do you? I'm not altogether too worried about what I post here, because even if someone copies it... it's all in the IMPLEMENTATION. No matter WHAT they "learn" here.. I don't really see it as harming those of us who know what we're doing. I can show you guys what I did with my dyed rose experiments, for instance.. but I doubt many people who don't know much about floral water uptake, etc would really be able to replicate it. I can give you guys the basics, you can run with it if you want, and really.. I don't really care if one of you in texas or ohio go and do something I'm doing, ya know? We may post marketting ideas, but really.. not much of what gets posted here is really all that relevant to BBs.

- One last thought, because I have work to do. MOST of my business - and I'm assuming B&M.. comes from word of mouth referrals. Whether from happy clients or other wedding vendors.. I network my ass off. The recommendation of a trusted, well known vendor is priceless, especially where we're a little lower down on the food chain than, say, venue/photographer/caterer. Can you honestly see legit vendors out there of ANY type - aiming for the higher paying clientele - telling ANY bride "hey, I know this chick that works out of her house for next to nothing.. you should go for her"? HELL NO.

I'm talking weddings and events here, because really, that's all they'll try to compete with you on. I'm really starting to see that basement bettys save me time and hassle, and do a pretty good job of educating brides about REAL florists.. however unintentionally. I personally hate dealing with "I only have $300 to spend". I much, much prefer "This is what I want.. let's brainstorm!... massive exchange of ideas..then done. Stimulating, lets me spread my wings a bit.. Why not have BBs weed out the brides with the mind that price is #1? I don't want to compete for the lowest bid. I want brides that ALSO want to spread their wings a bit!

Hope I didn't offend the regulars here!

Reactions: 1 person
I still side with Eric. I don't think that censorship is going to contribute to the open exchange of ideas. Censorship was a large part of what killed the other board. What do you censor? Who do you censor? Somebody's personal agenda and personal likes and dislikes always get involved in censorship of any kind. That's been proven. Even on this board. And we don't need any more of it.

I am more concerned about exposing trade secrets to my local existing competitors than I am about exposing them to local wannabees. My local competitors have ready access to this board if they want it. So I'm not about to say anything that I think will help them and hurt me. Nor is anybody else who is thinking clearly. I think the questions posed by the wannabees are little more than a wakeup call to florists who are probably already in trouble. Don't answer them if you don't want them knowing what you do.

I'm not nearly as concerned about people wanting to get into this business as I once was. Not so long ago, all you needed was a cooler, a telephone, a yellow pages ad, and multiple wire service memberships to successfully start a shop. Location and sign were optional. If you did that right (and it wasn't all that hard to do), you were instantly in business with an instant survivable clientele that wasn't too picky about what you sold or what you could do.

Startup wasn't that expensive. It could easily be done as a sideline that practically any middle class housewife could easily get into and survive long enough to muddy up the local market for everybody until she got tired and quit. We saw exactly that happen year after year after year. I'd say we once saw an average of 2-3 per year start up in our delivery area. Can't think of any that have survived and lasted. But many have tried.

Nowadays, it's a lot harder to survive in this business. It's also a lot harder to start up in this business. Being in the wire services won't support a startup any more. If anything, they'll sink a startup before it has a chance to get started. And wire services definitely aren't the key to survival. Not many people who try to break into this mom and pop business can afford to support themselves and a losing business for the five years or more that it typically takes to build a starting florist business to a profitable level. And even less have the skills and tools and dedication that are required to start a floral business, stick with it, grow it, and make it profitable in today's rapidly changing times.

I think our time is better spent figuring out just how to survive and be successful in today's market and tomorrow's market than it is in worrying about keeping Basement Betty's and other newbies out of our industry. After all, to anybody who's actually got a clue, they're no threat at all. They've got a 90% chance of failing before they even get started. And less than 1% of them will survive for five years.

Can you say that about your neighborhood big box home stores and grocery stores with floral departments? Can you say that about the deep pockets internet competitors like Pro Flowers, FTD, and TF? Can you say that about direct shippers? Nope. They're here to stay. And they're trying to figure out ways to put the stand alones like ourselves out of business and take all of the market for themselves.

Don't worry about Basement Betty. She's just a vulnerable and easy to attack diversion from the REAL ISSUES!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I still side with Eric. I don't think that censorship is going to contribute to the open exchange of ideas. Censorship was a large part of what killed the other board. What do you censor? Who do you censor? Somebody's personal agenda and personal likes and dislikes always get involved in censorship of any kind. That's been proven. Even on this board. And we don't need any more of it.

I am more concerned about exposing trade secrets to my local existing competitors than I am about exposing them to local wannabees. My local competitors have ready access to this board if they want it. So I'm not about to say anything that I think will help them and hurt me. Nor is anybody else who is thinking clearly. I think the questions posed by the wannabees are little more than a wakeup call to florists who are probably already in trouble. Don't answer them if you don't want them knowing what you do.

I'm not nearly as concerned about people wanting to get into this business as I once was. Not so long ago, all you needed was a cooler, a telephone, a yellow pages ad, and multiple wire service memberships to successfully start a shop. Location and sign were optional. If you did that right (and it wasn't all that hard to do), you were instantly in business with an instant survivable clientele that wasn't too picky about what you sold or what you could do.

Startup wasn't that expensive. It could easily be done as a sideline that practically any middle class housewife could easily get into and survive long enough to muddy up the local market for everybody until she got tired and quit. We saw exactly that happen year after year after year. I'd say we once saw an average of 2-3 per year start up in our delivery area. Can't think of any that have survived and lasted. But many have tried.

Nowadays, it's a lot harder to survive in this business. It's also a lot harder to start up in this business. Being in the wire services won't support a startup any more. If anything, they'll sink a startup before it has a chance to get started. And wire services definitely aren't the key to survival. Not many people who try to break into this mom and pop business can afford to support themselves and a losing business for the five years or more that it typically takes to build a starting florist business to a profitable level. And even less have the skills and tools and dedication that are required to start a floral business, stick with it, grow it, and make it profitable in today's rapidly changing times.

I think our time is better spent figuring out just how to survive and be successful in today's market and tomorrow's market than it is in worrying about keeping Basement Betty's and other newbies out of our industry. After all, to anybody who's actually got a clue, they're no threat at all. They've got a 90% chance of failing before they even get started. And less than 1% of them will survive for five years.

Can you say that about your neighborhood big box home stores and grocery stores with floral departments? Can you say that about the deep pockets internet competitors like Pro Flowers, FTD, and TF? Can you say that about direct shippers? Nope. They're here to stay. And they're trying to figure out ways to put the stand alones like ourselves out of business and take all of the market for themselves.

Don't worry about Basement Betty. She's just a vulnerable and easy to attack diversion from the REAL ISSUES!!!!!

My God, a few trouble makers and all of this..i am really scared that this is not going to end well. I really love this board and hate to see it go, but have seen things like this ruin other boards...Can we please just get back to the way things were two weeks ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.