So what's up with TF.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarb

Oct 31, 2002
Northern CA
State / Prov
California
Strange things are afoot at TF these days...
rumor has it that they are dropping rebates. That they let go a bunch of people. They are offering quarenteed buybacks on the holiday codifieds including free shipping. On top of all that
I get a phone call yesterday offering the free buyback on the codifieds which I politely decline and then UPS shows up today with two cases of them. Even if I had accepted them, there is no way that they could have gotten them here that fast.

Strange happenings........

Could get interesting in the next few months, especially if TF really does drop the rebate program.

Jim

TF...Hmmmmmm

Like Jim said...lotsa hear say go'n rouund bout TF....in many respects seems they have taken a page outa FTDs OLD play book...to bad the did not learn the lesson Bob did a couple years ago....

Check the Tech thread for more on this....

My TF Rep just dropped by unexpectedly for a “how’s it going†visit. There are no plans to stop doing rebates according to him.

Originally posted by jbarb
Strange things are afoot at TF these days...
rumor has it that they are dropping rebates. That they let go a bunch of people. They are offering quarenteed buybacks on the holiday codifieds including free shipping. On top of all that
I get a phone call yesterday offering the free buyback on the codifieds which I politely decline and then UPS shows up today with two cases of them. Even if I had accepted them, there is no way that they could have gotten them here that fast.

Strange happenings........

Could get interesting in the next few months, especially if TF really does drop the rebate program.

Jim

Not dropping rebates - that's just silly :)

Yes, restructuring ... it's unfortunate, but our industry hasn't been performing too well lately.

They've often had buybacks on codifieds ... used to be you had to ask. They didn't advertise it I guess?

As for the UPS deal ... ??????????????

They don't have to eliminate rebates. They're doing it right now, a small step at a time. This is my opinion, but I *think* they (Teleflora) may have another idea...

Here's how I see it. Knowing that traditional wire services are perhaps "declining" in importance, and trying to to change with the times?

So they drive consumers to tf.com, now we can see this focus in all the advertising. They are telling the consumer, if you're wiring flowers, you no longer need to go to your local florist to wire flowers, you can go thru us. On a $50 order, their 7% is 3.50 and they pay out $4-5. And the big senders always get their rebates cuz they know the value of paying their bills on time. They don't have to pay you a rebate. Take away the cost of the clearinghouse from the rebate and they didn't LOSE 1.50, instead they MADE 1.95, add that to the 1.50 they were losing per order and they get to MAKE 3.45.

They drive enough consumers to this method and they don't have to worry about eliminating rebates! They'll virtually elimate themselves.

I'd hate to be wrong about this and I DON'T trust that this is the way it will end up, cuz they just might very well get this going on then change it all to another FTD.COM on us and just steal all our customers. One can only hope but greed does corrupt. Knowing the majority of florists live for incoming orders, only big senders will care. I'm not so sure that this isn't just a diabolical plan, but it might not be, maybe just a changing with the times??? :confused:

it could happen....

Hmmmmmmmm..

Could it be.....

TF has seen the dot.com profits in the other venue, and decided (like I told Bloomz 2 years ago) to follow the lead....

USE the florists dollars, to build CONsumer awareness of TF.CON, even with the florists help, and then down the road make the old switch-eroo and take the site AWAY from the PAYing members, and make it a full blown E-commerce site.....

Ponderous thought ain't it....Resnick ain't no dummy, how long do ya'll think he'll play "fair" ??

I don't see that coming - if I did, I wouldn't support them with my membership $$$ at this point.

TF has stated directly that they see the future is with the independent florist shop - not grocery stores, not skimmers, not order gatherers, not SFO's. They've put their money and action behind that, and that I can support.

And yet TF supports 1800.con, flowerclub, sears flowers and Amway. So I'm confused? If they are supporting the individual florists then why are they also supporting these order gatherers?

I received no less than 5 statement stuffers this month in various statements that featured TF product that could be ordered from the above skimmers and yet not one of those stuffers said anything about ordering from a real florist....

Jim

Originally posted by jbarb
And yet TF supports 1800.con, flowerclub, sears flowers and Amway. So I'm confused? If they are supporting the individual florists then why are they also supporting these order gatherers?

I received no less than 5 statement stuffers this month in various statements that featured TF product that could be ordered from the above skimmers and yet not one of those stuffers said anything about ordering from a real florist....

Jim

800 sends through FTD

FlowerClub is for sale

Statement stuffers are usually from/through FlowerClub.

Sears signs up shops, not wire services. If shops send Sears orders through a WS that's an issue with the shop, not the WS. Try to know who sends Sears orders, and decide if you want to fill them.

Sorry Ryan, but 1800 also sends through TF and regardless of whether the statement stuffers are from Flowerclub, flowerclub is still owned by TF whether it is for sale or not.

Why does everyone think that 1800.com is only FTD? I get just as many orders through TF for them as I do FTD.

Don't they deal through Hallmark as well?

Originally posted by Infinite
I don't see that coming - if I did, I wouldn't support them with my membership $$$ at this point.

TF has stated directly that they see the future is with the independent florist shop - not grocery stores, not skimmers, not order gatherers, not SFO's. They've put their money and action behind that, and that I can support.

Yup thats why Safeway is still members of TF. :) Looks like Safeway will be picked up by Walmart.

Originally posted by Victoria
Don't they deal through Hallmark as well?

Last I heard they did according to an article in a past issue of SAF's magazine, and right now Hallmark is running the biggest ad on Yahoo, where proflowers,ftd.com, 1800 flowers also have a banner to click on.

They used to say that they would never compete with their florists too. Heard that much lately? (just an echo in the halls)

I personally heard Coccari say "we've decided to hold onto Flowerclub, to keep these orders out of ftd.com's hands" VERBATIM. It is not for sale any more other than there's a price on anything.:eek:

Originally posted by bloomz
They used to say that they would never compete with their florists too. Heard that much lately? (just an echo in the halls)

I personally heard Coccari say "we've decided to hold onto Flowerclub, to keep these orders out of ftd.com's hands" VERBATIM. It is not for sale any more other than there's a price on anything.:eek:

But that was before the New Teleflora in 2000! The old Teleflora said they wouldn't.

Listen boys and girls....

I guess I was the only one that saw something coming, let's just leave it at that!!
My belief is, that TF is NOT about to give up on full support for it's current member base, any time soon, HOWEVER, there IS speculation, that TF WANTS and NEEDS a full blown commerce site, that it INTENDS to compete directly with the likes of 1800.com, and FTD.com, and SHOULD the florists object very strenuosly, the "NEW Teleflora" will act like the "OLD FTD" pretty quickly...and that is NOT in question!!
I heard these rumblings last April, and made the jump to ONE WIRE SERVICE as of today, and MY CHOICE was FTD!!
For better or for worse, I chose FTD, BECAUSE of what they've done and accomplished, and NOT in spite of what I've heard about TF!!
I WILL SERIOUSLY MISS some of my TF friends, that have honoured me with their customers' orders, and am humbled that so many of them, chose MY SHOP to fill THEIR ORDERS!!
I turned my back on TF because they tried to be all things to all shops, and it AIN'T gonna work...not in this current environment!!
I am starting to BELIEVE in Peter's dream of Blossom's Network, call me what you will, BUT, it's time for WHOLESALE CHANGE!!
Peter is working on a SERIOUS PLATFORM...I'm starting to pay attention!!
Mike

Only a matter of time...

Once TF has all its members advertising the site, and once they have the technology in place they WILL COMPETE...heck, they already ARE in some ways....where do all those orders that originate in Paragould come from ??

TF only made 75Mil last year, don;t think thats enough to keep the Resnicks happy IMHO....

NOW, that said...they may do it in a different manner, and perhaps more politly than FTD did/does, but they WILL do it, its just a matter of time.....

All things come to pass.

It's in its passing that makes the difference.

I think it's the responsibility of the members to help influence management in the proper use of its assets.

Something like a flat 10-12% fee without alot of B.S. attached would do a great deal to improve the situation.

Piggy backed marketing offering the option of using the web site for local access to member shops.

I have a hard time thinking that TEL. will exactly follow the footsteps of the others.

Their long term future debends upon being a facilitator. Not a competitor.

Of course. I believe there are pies in the sky, Money grows on trees, and yes, you can take it with you when you go as well.

"TF only made 75Mil last year, don;t think thats enough to keep the Resnicks happy IMHO.... "

Boss, where did you get that number?

It's an interesting one when compared to FTD's 2002 FY number of $8 Mil profit - of course it would have been $16.5 Mil had it not been of Norton and Soenen's bonuses.:eek:

Just askin' - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.