submerged cymbidiums

Status
Not open for further replies.
More important - How many blooms on the stem? How large are the blooms? If that is a truly premium stem with at least 15 to 20 blooms, stem at least 1/2 inch thick, and top quality large blooms........then I can see 35 dollars......because you can divide that stem up and get good mileage out of it.

Can you tell you cost for cymbidiums? They cost me 35.00 a stem. So I don't just display them in the shop, the cost is to much for me. Am I paying to much or what?

Mine cost me 21.00...They had 16-18 blooms and the cyms were about 2-3 inches across...Nice nice quality....They were an 80cm length, I really only needed 50cm, but its ok...

I can get them from anywhere $10-21 a stem...
WOW! Now I'll take that price! Yes they were big and 50 cm, but still 35.00 a stem. I don't get many calls for them. Not even brides

Wide industrial suran wrap works well to keep water in during transport.

I have used the saran wrap for water filled vases , and a rubber band around
the top and it has made my deliveries so much easier. No mess and the
piece is ready to go onto the table.
I have made them the day before with just a bit of water, then add the water
the day of and cover.

Reactions: TGDragonfly
The rubber band is good for larger vases. Nothing worse than trying to lift heavy soggy cardboard.

We did a wedding a number of years ago that called for 27 tables, we used those big 9x32 glass vases with 6 inches of river rock, submerged cymbs, and water, lots of water, delivered 2 per original cardboard box, soggy and heavy. Try lifting one of those puppies out of a box like that. What a nightmare, nearly broke my back. It was only after setting things in place did a young latin waiter mentioned that we could have filled them in the kitchen. Doh...

I would imagine the press and seal wrap would even be better...thanks for the tip...

3 weeks ago I paid $30 for 1 stem for a sample meeting then $22.50 a stem for 10 stems. 10 blooms each.

We used small fishing weights for a single submerged bloom and transported the flowers separate in one container then assembled and filled them at the reception hall. Two people, did 16 in about 1/2 hr. with a water pitcher and a cart~luv carts!

we used small fishing weights for a single submerged bloom and transported the flowers separate in one container then assembled and filled them at the reception hall. Two people, did 16 in about 1/2 hr. With a water pitcher and a cart~luv carts!

great idea to use fishing weights!

Carols right. Just add enough water for the flowers to get through til Sunday then fill up before delivery. If you know there is a good water source at the venue, fill them up there, easier to transport. plus you will get all those neat air bubbles on the blooms.

Agree with Thom...tall glass cylinders filled with water and submerged orchids is a delivery nightmare...and heavy as **** I'm just sayin'
We always put them together on site at the venue....we just carry about
4 watering cans with us. The bubbles of fresh water adds to the look for sure.

Reactions: 1 person
3 weeksish under water. Change the water every 3-4 days.

After three weeks they start to turn translucent, which, if the water is clean looks pretty cool when light is shot up from underneath.

Thanks Dore. The guy at Wal Mart probably thought I was a nut, looking for that perfect fishing sinker...hehehe. Anyway, we used the kind that you clamp shut and there were 16/pack. Worked really well; wire the flower, then wrap the end around the weight, then clamp. Left a bit of a tail, so we could cover the weight with stones.

I enjoyed this, it reminded me of family summer vacations fishing in Canada.

Frogs are a wonderful investment for event work too. For onsite construction they really speed things up. With small cylinders the weight of the cymb stem is enough to keep it down.

We have been using artificial orchids and no one can tell. Believe me if you can find very realistic cymbidium orchids it works like a dream. I have a local silk wholesale house that the orchids run 7.50 a stem. I did this for a cocktail party for the Association of Bridal Consultants and even the most seasoned event planners thought they were real. You can see them on my website at http://www.appleblossomstampa.com We rent them to clients for 35 dollars each.

Could you use a "blob" of cling in the bottom and just stick the stem in there to hold it down?

EEEEwwww, cling!!!

Do they still make that evil crap from the 70's....

Status
Not open for further replies.