Teleflora to require DCON's in August

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying consumers don't want it (our customers love it), but they could easily get a confirmation every time right now if they ordered direct from the actual shops who delivered the orders.

Interesting comment.

If consumers can "easily get a confirmation if they ordered direct from the actual shops...", why is it so difficult to provide this same confirmation to a sending shop?

Darryl:
there is no way on the delivery tickets that the majority of our shops use to tell if this is a TF order requiring a Dcon....or not. Since we are dealing with multiple software/hardware vendors, I think the likeyhood of a change by all the vendors to provide this on a Delivery slip is not likely to happen soon.

so the "work around" becomes that every order has to be Dcon'd.

a PITA.

I like RC, find that the vast majority of our order placers (locally, online and thru WS) do not require a dcon....or want one. They entrust with their order. they know that we are professionals, and if there is a problem, we will contact them with the issue.

cheryl

Reactions: LJVF
one of the only reason customers are asking for delivery confirmations is because they've been screwed by the fake florists they've been duped into using......

Are the REAL customers REALLY asking for this? Or is it really the OGs that want to cover their backs?

I've forwarded your whole post to the new owner. Her name is Arlene. She eventually will be joining FC.

Hmmmm...

I detect a distinct tone here.

Are we getting personal?

Veiled threats?

The new owner is well aware of our new policy regarding us marking the order delivered by 2:00 pm the next day, so I'm missing the point here.

I'm actually surprised that you yourself didn't know that, but you don't actually work there any more, do you?

He also sends many more than "one or two" per year....but you knew that.

...and so does everyone else, as it's no secret.

So again, what's your point?

Only trying to explain a system that works for both us and the filling shop, given that we send a large number of orders.

But then again...WTFDIK???

It's much easier to dismiss my opinion since it's coming from an OG, than to learn from it.

Isn't that always the way?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::corky

Reactions: bloomz
Semantics.
It might be a recent issue, but it's the sender that is making it an issue, not the WS/OG.

Please don't make it a WS/OG issue yet again, as justification for doing something you simply don't want to do or can't do.

Customers are becoming more demanding in wanting instant gratification. They want to know went something was delivered, because the norm is for the recipient NOT to acknowledge the gift. This is the case whether a middle man was involved or not.

Sorry Preston.....but it is a WS created monster...fueled by the current generation who require "instant gratification".

My question is: are you as the sending florist, going to give me enough money to full the order for your customer, And deliver the product, and take the time needed to confirm your delivery has been completed?

Since we already have trouble getting an adequate amount of money from Tf or most other large scale senders for order fulfillment & delivery, I believe that this extra cost will be passed upon to the filler...again.

We are currently living in a "round hole, square peg" world.
The TF/FTD wire service world is NOT the same world that Proflowers and 1-800 operate in. Remember that PF has complete control of the order from start to finish, with 1 and only 1 vendor controlling the delivery, and electronically reporting in.

the TF/FTD system is a vast network of thousands of flower shops. Each one operates a little differently because we are all independently owned & operated. TF does not control us. We are NOT franchisees.

Where, oh where is the compensation for the Dcon?
Because you know that the WS will build in a cost to the customer for that little item.
If they charge extra for it, is it in fact getting passed on to the people who actually do the work....us?

Cheryl

I see a lot of talk on here about the cost of the DCon, but I have yet to see an actual dollar figure assigned. So please enlighten me, tell me in dollars and cents what it will cost to do a delivery confirmation. On a per unit basis.

I view the delivery confirmation as simply a given that should be done with every incoming order. For the moment lets just think of it in terms of finishing the paperwork on an order you receive.

When a customer physically walks into your store and makes a purchase do you expect him to pay for finishing the paperwork (the cost of generating an invoice or a credit card receipt) over and above what the product cost?

So why would this be an issue for the customer (sending shop) that is sending you a wire order, why is the cost of finishing the paperwork suddenly an issue?

Let me guess, its because you only receive 73% of the order value so you have already given a 27% discount. So if your margin is so tight on these orders that you can not finish the sale by completing the paper work, stop taking the orders.

Again, as your customer (the sending shop) I want a delivery confirmation from you, the good news is that I don't need you to generate an invoice, send me a statement, or harass me for payment. So I don't think I am asking a lot.

Interesting comment.

If consumers can "easily get a confirmation if they ordered direct from the actual shops...", why is it so difficult to provide this same confirmation to a sending shop?

And to think I was under the impression that Einstein was dead. Prestonway you are a genius.

Can someone please answer this mans question?

Reactions: bloomz
Hmmmm...

I detect a distinct tone here.

Are we getting personal?

Actually, I detected a 'tone' from you when you mentioned my name personally. Was that needed, really? I don't represent the company anymore, just ideals of the B&M, which by the way, where is your shop located exactly?

Veiled threats?

Hardly. I'm only 4'11 3/4"

The new owner is well aware of our new policy regarding us marking the order delivered by 2:00 pm the next day, so I'm missing the point here.

That's great. She also knew who you were when she took over the shop ;)

I'm actually surprised that you yourself didn't know that, but you don't actually work there any more, do you?

No, I don't. That's right, I'm moving on to other things.

...and so does everyone else, as it's no secret.

So again, what's your point?

Why did you say one or two a year then? What was your point in stating a non-truth?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::corky

Just answering the questions - in red.

Ask yourself

Are the REAL customers REALLY asking for this? Or is it really the OGs that want to cover their backs?

Dorothy,

Your a consumer, if you were to order something (anything but flowers) online or by phone to be delivered to someone in another city would you prefer

a) to be notified by the shipper when they had delivered the product

b) be left in the dark to assume that the product had been delivered simply because you had never been told otherwise.

Just a simple "a" or "b" will suffice. Remember we are not for the moment speaking of flowers and you are answering as a consumer (not a florist)

Doug:
I'll answer the question regarding the money.

Using my example above of 100 orders completed by 1 delivery team, at a holiday.....i would estimate that about 2 hours of time would be needed to sort thru the order tickets, identify the senders Tf code, and the order #, and send a Dcon message. If I have 3 teams on the road, that would be 6 hours worth of work for me to complete.

that's assuming that ALL the orders that were delivered that day were mine and only mine, so I have all the paperwork for each and every order in my house & on my system.

If more than a few of those orders originated with one of our Delivery pool members, then I will spend more valuable time one the phone, or faxing a list to them of Dcons.

All of this information will get to my fellow pool member much later at night....and then they have to do their Dcons.

On my orders that another Pool member has delivered, I must wait until I receive their faxed list or call to make the Dcon.

Logistically, since we are not all computer networked and linked, this becomes a nightmare.

Financially, this becomes an increasing drain.....and yes, the fact that an incoming WS order is already discounted by 27% DOES come into play.

Cheryl

Reactions: Joe Mioux and CHR
Our POS is set up to automatically email senders when the deliveries are completed. TF will not allow an interface with the software (and our software isn't the only one), so any DCONs would require manual entry.

Automation is the key is getting them done efficiently. That's why DCONs work at FedEx and UPS. If they had to manually enter each stop, they'd have more mistakes and much higher costs, Einstein.

I see a lot of talk on here about the cost of the DCon, but I have yet to see an actual dollar figure assigned.
Doug, it's more than zero and another cost piled on the already distressed side of the equation.

It's easy to be all for something if it costs others more than it does you.

Doug:
I'll answer Dorothy's question, and include one of my own:

If I place an order online, I receive an order confirmation #.

Generally when the order has been shipped (but not always!!), I receive notification that the order SHIPPED.

SHIPPED DOES NOT MEAN DELIVERED!!

It simply means that the order has left the building.

Would you be satisified if we, as filling members, notified you, the sending member, that the order HAS BEEN SHIPPED? (In other words, it is out for delivery today??

Cheryl

Dorothy,

Your a consumer, if you were to order something (anything but flowers) online or by phone to be delivered to someone in another city would you prefer

a) to be notified by the shipper when they had delivered the product

b) be left in the dark to assume that the product had been delivered simply because you had never been told otherwise.

Just a simple "a" or "b" will suffice. Remember we are not for the moment speaking of flowers and you are answering as a consumer (not a florist)

I would find out either way from the person I sent the gift to. Because if they didn't call me first (to thank me) I would call him/her with probing questions, and at that point, if it was apparent they did not recieve the gift, I would call the company I purchased the gift from. See, I like to keep the element of surprise alive. Even if it means covering the company's butt for a moment or two. If it was a big hassle to me, then I probably would not use that company again. But, no, a confirmation of delivery doesn't mean anything to me until I know the gift is in the hands of the receiver.

Our POS is set up to automatically email senders when the deliveries are completed. TF will not allow an interface with the software (and our software isn't the only one), so any DCONs would require manual entry.

Automation is the key is getting them done efficiently. That's why DCONs work at FedEx and UPS. If they had to manually enter each stop, they'd have more mistakes and much higher costs, Einstein.

Einstein here.

Minus the sarcasm for one moment, but it does come down to technology, doesn't it?

Can't speak of Teleflora, as we haven't been a member for 5 years, but with FTD Merc X, once an order is marked delivered it sends a DelCon email to the sender AND a DelCon message to the sending shop at the same time.

Seamless processing with no additional time or labour than would normally be incurred.

I take it that Teleflora doesn't offer the same?

Doug:
I'll answer the question regarding the money.

Using my example above of 100 orders completed by 1 delivery team, at a holiday.....i would estimate that about 2 hours of time would be needed to sort thru the order tickets, identify the senders Tf code, and the order #, and send a Dcon message. If I have 3 teams on the road, that would be 6 hours worth of work for me to complete.

that's assuming that ALL the orders that were delivered that day were mine and only mine, so I have all the paperwork for each and every order in my house & on my system.

If more than a few of those orders originated with one of our Delivery pool members, then I will spend more valuable time one the phone, or faxing a list to them of Dcons.

All of this information will get to my fellow pool member much later at night....and then they have to do their Dcons.

On my orders that another Pool member has delivered, I must wait until I receive their faxed list or call to make the Dcon.

Logistically, since we are not all computer networked and linked, this becomes a nightmare.

Financially, this becomes an increasing drain.....and yes, the fact that an incoming WS order is already discounted by 27% DOES come into play.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I can certainly sympathize the delivery pool problem is not something we have to deal with here.

However as a sender of orders non delivery and customer inquiries are something we do have to deal with.

What I believe personally is that our industry is not under assault strictly from within (wire services , OG`s, direct shippers, mass marketers, etc) as many would like to believe. There is in fact another group working diligently to entice consumers to spend their limited gift dollars with them, this group is the non-floral gifting sector and is made up of hundred of retail sectors.

Many of them do an incredible job in following and tracking an order for the customer (see my earlier Swarovski example).

My point is simple, while we debate the merits of providing this customer service these competitors already offer it.

There's an old saying that goes "if your not the lead dog your view never changes". The fact is that our industry was once the lead dog in "out of town" gifting. Sad to say we now find ourselves getting pushed further and further back in the pack and just like the dogs if you want to lead the pack you have to work harder than the rest.

I'm a MAS user so I don't know if TF's software has auto DCON or not.

But what about Merc X users who are also TF? They'll have to manually enter, too.

The WSs keep making shops pick a team - and it's by POS software.

And the Einstein was supposed to have a ;) but I'm trying to do laundry and get a kid to bed while posting.

Doug, it's more than zero and another cost piled on the already distressed side of the equation.

It's easy to be all for something if it costs others more than it does you.

CHR, On what basis do you make the assumption of what my costs are? The reality is I will assume the costs of order confirmation because I know it is what is best for our industry.

As for the "already distressed side of the equation".

I have to ask if you feel these orders are distressed why accept them? Simple question, no sarcasm meant or intended.

Cheryl,

I can certainly sympathize the delivery pool problem is not something we have to deal with here.

However as a sender of orders non delivery and customer inquiries are something we do have to deal with.

What I believe personally is that our industry is not under assault strictly from within (wire services , OG`s, direct shippers, mass marketers, etc) as many would like to believe. There is in fact another group working diligently to entice consumers to spend their limited gift dollars with them, this group is the non-floral gifting sector and is made up of hundred of retail sectors.

Many of them do an incredible job in following and tracking an order for the customer (see my earlier Swarovski example).

My point is simple, while we debate the merits of providing this customer service these competitors already offer it.

There's an old saying that goes "if your not the lead dog your view never changes". The fact is that our industry was once the lead dog in "out of town" gifting. Sad to say we now find ourselves getting pushed further and further back in the pack and just like the dogs if you want to lead the pack you have to work harder than the rest.

Sorry, this sounds to me like the OGs are more worried about competing with "other" gifting vendors than REAL florists are.

Remedy: Let's all go out dancing!

I'm a MAS user so I don't know if TF's software has auto DCON or not.

But what about Merc X users who are also TF? They'll have to manually enter, too.

The WSs keep making shops pick a team - and it's by POS software.

And the Einstein was supposed to have a ;) but I'm trying to do laundry and get a kid to bed while posting.

I was hoping you'd catch my drift on this.

This is exactly what I'm implying.

You're either with us or against us when it comes to a POS...so pick a side.

Funny, but I told both bloomz & RC the same thing a few months ago. Told 'em they were gonna be in trouble down the road, 'cause they're both MAS and had better join the Merc club soon! :rofl:

(and Einstein still loves his Mother Teresa :kuddle:)

Doug:
Yes, I get the customer service standards & issues. I fully support customer service in our shop to the highest level. that's why I'm often the only flower shop in Pittsburgh delivering a special order to someone at 8 pm in the evening. (that was just tonight).

However, we, as local flower merchants, are NOT a mail-order house, or a PF or someone else who has built a system that is completely and totally integrated from day one.

We are trying to fit a round peg in a square whole here.

Every time you try to force, from top down, this type of work and integration on to your "filling florists", you lose more and more.

While it is completely great to say that it must be done, it has to be done, by God just do it, please understand the complexity of the action you are proposing.

1. NOT EVERYONE WHO IS A DELIVERING FLORIST DELIVERS EACH AND EVERY PACKAGE OF THEIR OWN THEMSELVES. Delivery pools exist. they work well, and at a great price. That is part of what has allowed many locally owned and operated flower shops to compete with the "big boys".

2. TF AND FTD TECHNOLOGIES DO NOT PLAY NICE....and they have not integrated, or allowed integration between and among for a long, time. So, if you are an FTD POS shop, TF Dcons will require double entry....and the same in reverse with TF systems. MAS systems are not permitted to talk to any TF shop over the Dove network.

......Push to get these guys to allow our systems to talk to each other, and things could become much more world class faster.

3. NONE OF US CAN AFFORD TO LOSE ANY CUSTOMERS TODAY. We all want to make things work ...and for the betterment of our consumer.

Again, will notifying you that your order has SHIPPED" today be sufficient confirmation for you? Because this is what any on-line merchant is doing today. Not confirming DELIVERY COMPLETED -- JUST CONFIRMING ORDER WAS SHIPPED. There is a difference -- a huge difference!
Cheryl

Reactions: 1 person
I have to ask if you feel these orders are distressed why accept them?
I don't. Any more.

I worked proudly for TF for 18 years. When what I was supposed to say didn't mesh with what I knew from first hand inside experience, after a year or so of aching guts whenever I did a presentation, I left.

Our shop left TF as a WS member a year ago. It wasn't a happy day, but it made more sense financially for us as a company - and reduced sheer aggrivation, especially at holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.