The Arrangement on LOGO tv

lori042499

May 3, 2006
Melrose, Massachusetts, United States
www.affairstorememberflorist.com
State / Prov
MA
I love this show...it has a good mix of people and talents..Did anyone watch?

I can't wait to see the characters develop...the design challeneges are good and the talent is good...team work is always fun, but not too much drama to make it fakey fake...

I was concerned watching the previews it was going to be way too much gay man drama and ego drama and make it seem hollywood fake...but once the challeges start there really isn't enough time for scripted crap, it becomes very real...some of it is pure entertainment value, but we must remember that in order to suck in the public, we need drama, we need villians and we need quiet underdogs...I cannot wait to see who's egos get shot down and how Derek and Jennie step up and show that they have some chops to get er done...so much potential to get peole really enjoying what we do every day, so much potential..

You can watch the first episode online now.

Phil and I had the privilege of attending the show's Premiere Party last Thursday night and there's a blog post about it. (Two of the contestants are his former students.)

It's definitely edgy and 'not your mother's flower shop' as the tag-line says.

The designers were sequestered for 2 weeks to tape the show - and the dates fell over the Mother's Day weekend - so none of the owners were at their stores during the holiday. I had a few other friends who made it into the final cut but they dropped out because they had weddings/events/holidays and felt they could not be away from their businesses for the tapings.

Am tickled that designers are getting highlighted and look forward to future episodes.

aww man- I thought Eric was going to compete. crap. Ok now I'll finish watching...

Whooo Hoooo!!! Yep, thanks for the link Cathy... finally got to watch the whole thing. I'm impressed. Can't wait for the next challenges... fun fun fun :)

i watched it on logotv. i'm not really into reality tv show...but i think it has promise.
it was fast paced...and it looks like they have some different personalities.
i'll tune in next week to see if the show remains true.

Thought the show was very interesting, recognized some personality types. I'm interested to see what they come up with next for design challenges. The face off at the end was different for sure, and only 3 minutes to design. Was this shot close to the one of the flower markets down there? Guess I didn't catch that part.

I enjoyed watching the show. I can honestly say that this is one challenge I would have to say "no" to. What a stressful thing! And the time allotted for the face-off was incredible. I was very glad to not be at all surprised in the out-come of the first one to be let go, that really meant a lot to me that this is a serious design show.

I cannot imagine why they would choose to tape during a major floral holiday

I know and worked with Russ,so it's a kick to see him on the show. I do like the show,should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I enjoyed watching the show. I can honestly say that this is one challenge I would have to say "no" to. What a stressful thing! And the time allotted for the face-off was incredible. I was very glad to not be at all surprised in the out-come of the first one to be let go, that really meant a lot to me that this is a serious design show.

I cannot imagine why they would choose to tape during a major floral holiday

Because hollywood soea things in their own time not what works for anyone else, if you want it you will work it into your schedule..I guess...

Finally watched this last night. It was OK. I was pleased that even though everyone was yelling out "how much is this" at the market, it was edited so you couldn't really hear the wholesale costs.

Maybe I blinked and missed it, but I would have liked to hear the designers brainstorm how they were going to tackle the figure sculptures. Where did the rice and oatmeal come from?

A friend just went to the open casting call for the next season of Work of Art - after seeing the 25 page application she had to fill out, you realize it is a casting call, and not primarily about the work. She had to answer questions like what media do you not or will never use and why, who do you think is over rated in the art world and why, her height, weight, and hair color, all of her family's contact information. It's a TV show first and foremost.

The biggest thing I noticed though was that florists will play the game for far less compensation than all the similar reality game shows. Top Chef, Project Runway, etc. pay at least $100K plus prizes. The Arrangement pays only a fraction - $25K plus a Smart Car. They could have at least made it a Ford Transit Connect - how many flowers are you going to fit in a Smart Car?!

Reactions: KABERS
The biggest thing I noticed though was that florists will play the game for far less compensation than all the similar reality game shows. Top Chef, Project Runway, etc. pay at least $100K plus prizes. The Arrangement pays only a fraction - $25K plus a Smart Car. They could have at least made it a Ford Transit Connect - how many flowers are you gong to fit in a Smart Car?!

Good point, Cathy. Why are florists undervalued? Perhaps in this case it's the network. The chef shows are on more popular channels I think so maybe they have more money. But a delivery van would have been a much better prize than a smart car that's for sure!

More people are tuned into the whole fashion design thing and also the cooking shows, they're much more popular with the general public, as a result they are on a more watched network and more money involved. The interest in a floral design competition is much more limited, even the designer competition on HGTV is not as popular. I didn't think it was just a coincidence that most of the contestants on these shows are slender and usually attractive and sometimes not very good at what they do, especially if they pick more for looks and/or personality than ability.

I'm quite sure that a lot of the criteria included a varied personality type so that they could have an interesting show.

However, from the pieces that they first brought in with them, with the exception of the person who was first to go, these people know how to design. I'm sure they seeded the show that way and I'm glad they did. Somebody with 12 weeks of experience just isn't going to have what it takes, and I think that goes a long way in showing the difference to the public.

I was pretty impressed with the life-sized figures. I could not get over the aspidistra gown, but agreed that I liked the colorful one with the shopping bags better.

All in all, I just feel like they did a good job in portraying this biz.

Good prizes come from sponsors and advertisers who want to pair themselves with the shows.

Notice how Project Runway has used BlueFly and Macy's for accessories plus TRESemme' haircare product during the tapings. It's all paid placement.

Who's gonna want to tie in with this show? 1-800-Flowers? FTD? Teleflora? None of the growers have brand names and none of the associations have the funds.

IMO that's why we've never seen a floral design show before now - lack of advertiser interest.

I want some of those Oasis mannequins ~!~!~!...

And I'll take Derek, since he's a Michigan boy... looks more like a drummer than a designer... but time will tell ;)