TOMA Ad Promoting Valentines Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Debate TOMA ads

Clay, I like your ad, so this is not a criticism of the ad.

This is my theory of TOMA ads, at least it is the way they were explained to me by an advertising guru and I find it easy to accept his theory.

The objective of a TOMA ad is to implant on a consumers mind the name of your shop and what you want it to be associated with.

So he suggested starting with the index at the front of the yellow pages because there you will find the common words that a consumer looks for when "walking through the yellow pages". What is the key word you think of when your pipe in the basement springs a leak? Answer "PLUMBER"

For us, the main word is FLORIST, not flowers, not floral.

So he taught me that a TOMA ad should have two words.
FLORIST
FAIRVIEW (our shop name)

At this time of the year, consumers are thinking roses, so my TOMA ad is
ROSES
FAIRVIEW

Yes, there can be other details in smaller font, but those that are most important should be in the larger font.

Our paper considers a TOMA ad size to be 2 columns wide x 2" deep [2x2]

I wonder if this would make a TOMA ad? I think it might.
FLOWERS 24/7
FairviewFlorist.COM

What about
FUNERAL FLORIST
FAIRVIEW

I have been under the impression that a TOMA ad must be repeated by some frequency, maybe 2 times a week. In my case, what I want to accomplish is
"Florist/Fairview" "Florist/Fairview" "Florist/Fairview" "Florist/Fairview" "Florist/Fairview" "Florist/Fairview" "Florist/Fairview" "Florist/Fairview" being implanted on the consumer's mind until the name Fairview is synonymous with with Florist.

Tom

PS For our industry, the main word is FLORIST, not flowers, not floral. That is why a shop name should have the preferred word "florist" in the title, not floral. What is used the most in our industry? floral

Go to Overture and see which word commands the highest bid. Florist, not floral or flowers.

I have been the only flower shop in town with the word FLORIST in my title, and it was by design. When one used to be able to ask an Information Operator for a phone number of a flower shop and the caller did not know the name of a flower shop in a distant city, the Information Operator looked under the word FLORIST. Guess which flower shop in town got all those calls. You got it, the shop is named Fairview Florist.

Something I have learned from my 53 years in retail
TC

Clay I have said this in the past and never got an answer from you, so I guess you disagree, but when I see your ad, I see Floral.com. I wonder how many customers you lose to that oversite on their part. McAdams is a different font too. It's a very nice logo/Ad, but marketing/branding wise, I would have to say make it easier, customers aren't as smart as we think sometimes.

Ok. Here I go showing my ignorance again. Can someone tell me what a TOMA ad is and what makes it different from any other ad?
Thanks,
Bob

Actually

Dazeal said:
Clay I have said this in the past and never got an answer from you, so I guess you disagree, but when I see your ad, I see Floral.com. I wonder how many customers you lose to that oversite on their part. McAdams is a different font too. It's a very nice logo/Ad, but marketing/branding wise, I would have to say make it easier, customers aren't as smart as we think sometimes.

Actually, I had forgotten about your mention of this from that last time this was brought....early Fall I think. I understand what you are saying....my intial thought was the familiarity of the name would make you read throught like you are reading, down to bottom, left to right....without interruption of the font change. Interesting thought, I think I will interview some of the guys that come in today and ask them how they see it/read it. Thanks for the reminder.

Toma

I have been reading material from some of the "marketing gurus" and their arn't alot of good comments about TOMA being the best way to market a small business unless you have a lot of time and money.

The general consensus is to generate a "Direct Response" with your advertising. Make an offer that requires the customer to do something, it could be to go to your site to print off a discount coupon, register for a drawing for a free arrangement, come in for a free rose, but do something.
I like the drawing idea, one person wins and everyone else gets a second place prize (coupon for 20% off) :).

TOMA seems great for a business that is well established and has a good customer base already.

virginia_Bob said:
Ok. Here I go showing my ignorance again. Can someone tell me what a TOMA ad is and what makes it different from any other ad?
Thanks,
Bob
BOB - Don't feel bad...until I read BOSS's post just now, I had no idea either!
Knew it had to be some marketing ad lingo... For all I know, I learned what it was back in COLLEGE but one too many beers may have wiped that brain cell out...

- H.

More on TOMA

BamaE4U said:
I have been reading material from some of the "marketing gurus" and their general consensus is to generate a "Direct Response" with your advertising. Make an offer that requires the customer to do something, it could be to go to your site to print off a discount coupon, register for a drawing for a free arrangement, come in for a free rose, but do something.
I like the drawing idea, one person wins and everyone else gets a second place prize (coupon for 20% off) :).

TOMA seems great for a business that is well established and has a good customer base already

You said there arn't alot of good comments about TOMA being the best way to market a small business unless you have a lot of time and money.

I think it is exactly the opposite. A TOMA ad is small, very few words which allows you frequency. Obviously, rates vary by size of the media.

You wrote: The general consensus is to generate a "Direct Response" with your advertising. Make an offer that requires the customer to do something, it could be to go to your site to print off a discount coupon, register for a drawing for a free arrangement, come in for a free rose, but do something.

I have never gotten a coupon to work for me. NEVER. And I have probably spent close to a million on advertising in 50+ years.

This year, a local jeweler is giving away a $4,000 pendant and the first 50 customers received a coupon for 6 40cm colored roses from our shop. NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE APPEAR TO BE FLOWER CONSUMERS. They hit every freebee they can find. They walk in, pick up their roses, and walk straight out. How could I have been so dumb? [still learning] I did justify it by the number of ads he was running on a Coutry FM station, so just that got me my money's worth.

An advertising guru wrote the book "The Fall of Advertising; The Rise of PR". Can be read in an evening. Valuable reading.

This is how I explain a TOMA ad. Picture yourself as a stranger in another city, you had a good business appointment and you want to think of a way to show your appreciation. WHAT ARE THE WORDS YOU THINK OF FIRST? Candy? Card? Flowers? Wine? If you are in a business that specialized in one of those products, then you have to get your business associated with that word. Candy - My Shop, Cards - My Shop, Flowers - My Shop, Wine - My Shop.

So a TOMA ad would be like this:
FLOWERS
FAIRVIEW FLORIST

ROSES
FAIRVIEW FLORIST

SYMPATHY
FAIRVIEW FLORIST

Of course addresses and phone numbers should be included. The ad would be 2 columns wide and 2" deep, a 2x2. I suggest 2 per week, 52 weeks.

By the way, Radio calls this concept FOMA [front of mind awareness] The same rules apply. I like 15 sec commercials. Having said that, I have backed off radio the last 2 years from a high budget of about $30,000 out of $50,000 total. [that was too much advertising].

Right now I am running a 15 second jingle with words composed to the tune of a very familiar melody that everyone and anyone knows and can sing. Guess what, I have people singiing the jingle on the street; when they come into my store. The radio station is having a ball with it. THAT IS FOMA advertising at its best. My next attempt will be to get the radio station to get listeners to call in and sing our jingle and if they complete all four lines they will get a certificate for a free bouquet.

Coupons don't work for me. Discounts bring in the "discount hunters". I want to attract customers who love flowers and what flowers do for them and others.

I Can Name That Tune In.....

Hi Tom,

Can you please fill us in our your jingle? Catchy little idea-I adore it! I agree with you that bargain hunters are the primary coupon users, however, this year I did run a coupon page in the Verizon phone directory (full page ad in the coupon section & cost me a whole lot less than the 1/2 page ad in the yellow pages $5.00 off on $30 purchase $10.00 off on $60.00 purchase) and it has had a tremendous impact so far with bringing new customers to the shop. You have to find what works for you. Trial & error.

Tom Carlson said:
For us, the main word is FLORIST, not flowers, not floral.
TC

Not according to wordsearch report.......a listing of the top 500 words searched for weekly on search engines.
The word "Flowers" always ranks in the top 150 words and I can't recall the word "Florist" ever making the top 500 in the past 4 years that I have received the report.

Out of curriosity. . . .

Keyword search on Overture for searches in January:
Florist: .8 Million (FTD top bidder, $3.15)
Flower: 1.8 Million (FTD top bidder, $4.35)
Florist Hoover: 52 (Proflowers, $2.01)
Flower Hoover: 32 (Proflowers, $2.15)
Florist Janesville: 72 (BlossomsFlorists, $1.44)
Flower Janesville: 53 (BlossomsFlorists, $1.58)
Hoover where I am and Janesville where Tom is are about the same population.

I could be wrong and the target may have moved again, but I always thought flowers was the stronger keyword. Logic being, they are looking for the product not the make of the product. It used to be anyway...

You guys are the experts [see definition at end]

BBJ (Big Bad John) said:
Not according to wordsearch report.......a listing of the top 500 words searched for weekly on search engines.
The word "Flowers" always ranks in the top 150 words and I can't recall the word "Florist" ever making the top 500 in the past 4 years that I have received the report.

I was coming from the name of the category in the YP index. Florist is it, not floral, not flowers.

I was not referring to keywords. I would agree that flowers has to be the strongest keyword.

DEFINTION OF "EXPERT"
Comes from two Latin base words.
"ex" being a has been
"spert" being a drip under pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.