Status
Not open for further replies.

meherr

Feb 4, 2006
Kokomo
www.bannerflowers.com
State / Prov
IN
We already have 4 domains pointed to our single Teleflora site. I was toying with the idea of buying some others like citynameWedding.com, citynameWeddingFlowers.com, etc. Do you reach a point where you can have too many domains pointed to one site? I hate to waste money or mess up by having too many.

I would only worry if you have a few hundred domains pointed to one domain. The worry factor used to be less, but I have a couple of hundred domains pointed to one URL and have had no problems in recent time.

I would try to get cityyournameflorist.com and as many variations as I could...

Thankfully I don't have as many as Mac... but I have a lot...

One for ya'll.. some time ago I got smithsblog.com... just something to think about...

I just use DNS pointing.

Yes. Just re-directs.

When I first acquired all the domains back in 2003 and pointed them all toward one URL that particular main URL suddenly vanished from Google's index.

After a trial and error process of figuring out what the problem was...by stopping the re-directs and then restarting them......while watching my main URL bounce in and out of the index. I decided to create what I called a sacrifice website (meaning....I didn't care if the site was indexed or not).

Any way, to make a long story short, my sacrifice website has remained solid in Google's index since 2007 and is now a site where I'm selling some of my florist URLs www.floralflower.com

I've heard of people having issues with too many URLs pointed to one site, but usually these people have far more URLs than I do.

If you are worried and have only a couple of handfuls of redirects pointed at one URL, don't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 person
I was toying with the idea of buying some others like citynameWedding.com, citynameWeddingFlowers.com, etc.

You could quite likely benefit from having an entirely separate wedding website with its own domains pointing to it, and each site linked to the other.

Here's one I've been watchin gfor about 10 years - and this is a darn shame - great domain, horked up by a broker.

www.blooms.com

I am guessing the shop went out of business as all the links dow below are dead as well.

I'd noticed a while back it hadn't been updated in some time, but now it's basically a goner.

This is someone I saw at SAF about 15 years ago talking about the importance of a web site, yet the site design has never been updated in all that time.

On a related question......Can you buy the domain names and not use them?

Let's take my small town as an example.

Swansea, SC

Swanseaflorist, swanseaflowers, flowersswansea, just to name a few permutations.

One would do this in an effort to block the access that a D'OG can use.

It is perfectly fine to buy domains and not point them to a site. I liken it to defensive domaining :)

Reactions: 2 people
If you're going to buy them to block an OG, might as well have them redirect to your site, and make them useful. We have 7 domains, and they either redirect to our main, or have to a carbon copy website of our mainsite. We also have a wedding-coordinating website that has multiple sites redirecting, as well as a link from our main sites. My wife is an IT pro, and we come up in the #1 & #2 spots in searches consistently. Meta-tags are the key, but it also seems how frequently your page is updated has something to do with listing location. Nothing worse than folks who spend huge sums of $$$ on a web design and hosting, etc., only to let it sit and collect cyber-dust.

We took over all of our websites from the wire services, and traffic has actually increased, and it costs us about $200/year to manage it ourselves, rather then paying them $70-100/month.

Reactions: bloomz
I emailed TF web services about this and this was their reply:

"If you are getting the domain names with the intent for them to be used to help with search engine purposes please be advised that it is not the case. We can and have registered domain names to point to a particular site and we set those up as ALT URLs for the site. They cost $35.00 per year registration/renewal fee. The ALT URLs are used to
advertise a specific area. They used to help but search engines now view the different URLs as duplicate content and they do not help with the search engine placement."

Is the $35 they're talking about to purchase the domain? I think I can get them much cheaper on GoDaddy.com.

I emailed TF web services about this and this was their reply:

Is the $35 they're talking about to purchase the domain? I think I can get them much cheaper on GoDaddy.com.

Buy Local! You can register a new domain through Strider - they advertise their prices are as good as godaddy's. That's what I'm planning to do.

http://domainsbystrider.com

Reactions: meherr and CHR
Could somebody please explain the benefits of having more than one domain name. Do you advertise more than one or just stick to the main one.

Does it help with searches and if you come to the top with flowers town and florist town is it worth it?

Many thanks, i do not have a techy brain but am really trying:>

Buying a domain name is like buying a phone number. It's a reference point for someone to reach you. Having more phone lines doesn't mean you'll get more calls.

If does, however, give you the ability to block competition, catch misspellings, and hang on to domain names that might be useful someday. I think I have a few dozen domains purchased on a whim that each might one day turn into a business plan.

Ryan

So, for instance if i bought runcornflorist.co.uk which is a town next to me that i serve, would it give me a higher chance of coming the top with google when someone searched "florist runcorn"?

So, for instance if i bought runcornflorist.co.uk which is a town next to me that i serve, would it give me a higher chance of coming the top with google when someone searched "florist runcorn"?
Not on the domain name alone, only if you published a new site under that domain.

Domain redirects use a 301: Moved Permanently. There is no benefit to having kw in the url of a redirected domain as the contents of the site are viewed as the property of the destination domain.

Using a 302: Temporarily Moved redirect has at times allowed sites to rank by redireting to appearing to have the same content as the site the domain is redirecting to, but that's very unreliable and appears as duplicate content.

Ryan

Reactions: Palms, LJVF and CHR
OK, I'm trying to get a grip on this...this is what I think I understand:

If I were to purchase (through Strider, of course :redface2:) the domain kokomopromflowers.com and have it redirected to bannerflowers.com, it would not improve the ranking of bannerflowers.com - However - if someone were to search for "prom flowers in Kokomo, Indiana" while it might not pull up bannerflowers.com, it might be more likely to find kokomopromflowers.com (??????). Or am I completely missing the concept? This just goes over my head :wallhead:

I cannot say for certain that having multiple domains pointing to your URL can dampen G Local listings, but it does look to be the case.

I know of a couple florists whose organic listings outclass the competitors by leaps and bounds, yet they seem to be dampened in G Local/Maps. In each case, the florist has a number of self-referring URLs pointed to their main listing. They have more indy citiations than anyone else, have claimed their listings and have their LBCs in order.... so it looks like the only differential is the multiple domains.

Some companies do seem able to evade the filter by using different names, contacts, addresses and hosting accounts for each domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.