Status
Not open for further replies.

lori042499

May 3, 2006
Melrose, Massachusetts, United States
www.affairstorememberflorist.com
State / Prov
MA
OK, I am in the middle of revamping my website....

I am having a hard time looking at my website like a consumer...

I get many unique users to my website somewhere in the range of 200-300 a month but I am not turning them into buyers...there is a reason they are leaving...

I have a couple of ideas...The first I think the catagories need to be streamlined and the amount of arrangements need to be cut down...I think my website has way too many offerings...I also think that I should incorporate my own custome designs into the regular catagories...I have started to add pages for individual funeral homes and have different pictures on each page, this is not nearly done it is a work in progress...I am also going to change the wedding tab immensely but am going to tackle that separately...

What I need is for people to look at my page and look at it like a shopper and tell me why you would leave and what I could do to make your shopping experience better.

I am also toying with the idea of offering a 5.00 off coupon upon closing the page, like 800 flowers and maybe a pop up on funeral pages within my city for free delivery...

OK I am ready for the critique...as I know I need seo work I am just wanting website design info right now too much else may overwhelm me and then I will give up, Thanks in advance for your help, ideas and support...

Lori,

-I know you already know this but, one reason that consumers may be leaving your site is that it looks just like every other TF site out there. I saw one the other day that was pretty good, and it was a TF site but, it was unique. I wish I still could find it. Might be worth it, if you want to keep the TF site, to look into getting a more custom site.

-I'd remove any outgoing links from your homepage. Don't distract the customer by trying to send them to another site.

-Get a picture of your shop on the "about us" page. That way the consumer can see that they are actually dealing with a real florist in Melrose.

-As you said, narrow down the product categories on the side. Cut the fluff and make it easy for customers to find what they need. I would say five to six categories is more than enough.

-Put the categories in alphabetical order except for the bridal bouquets, move those down the line a bit further. Most of the customers coming to your site aren't looking to order a bridal bouquet and those categories are just distracting to the average retail customer. It would be like having a table full of bridal magazines stacked on top of your selection guide and then telling the customer to pick out an arrangement. By the time they filter through the things that they aren't looking for - they will forget why they came to your site to begin with.

Just some suggestions :)

Reactions: 1 person
Lori,

-I know you already know this but, one reason that consumers may be leaving your site is that it looks just like every other TF site out there. I saw one the other day that was pretty good, and it was a TF site but, it was unique. I wish I still could find it. Might be worth it, if you want to keep the TF site, to look into getting a more custom site.

-I'd remove any outgoing links from your homepage. Don't distract the customer by trying to send them to another site.

-Get a picture of your shop on the "about us" page. That way the consumer can see that they are actually dealing with a real florist in Melrose.

-As you said, narrow down the product categories on the side. Cut the fluff and make it easy for customers to find what they need. I would say five to six categories is more than enough.

-Put the categories in alphabetical order except for the bridal bouquets, move those down the line a bit further. Most of the customers coming to your site aren't looking to order a bridal bouquet and those categories are just distracting to the average retail customer. It would be like having a table full of bridal magazines stacked on top of your selection guide and then telling the customer to pick out an arrangement. By the time they filter through the things that they aren't looking for - they will forget why they came to your site to begin with.

Just some suggestions :)

Thanks Those are some of the very things I was thinking...I will be working on this for the next month cleaning up and tweaking...

This is huge for us - people look there to see about us, and call us with orders saying our place "looks so nice"... also, you CAN change the blurbs on the home page to reflect whatever you want - we change ours semi-regularly, along with home page selections. Always always always make sure the selections are unique from whatever TF usually sets them to, as well as changing the blurb. I always notice an influx of orders right after we change this stuff, though I don't know if it's because of the change, or just coincidence.

This has me thinking we have to do an F20 promo for people on TF sites.

Lori, your About Us page has duplicate content. If the About Us page reads the same as other shops, and the site looks just like other shops, the customer will figure it out.

Personalize. Get your "voice" on the site, not canned TF corporate marketing speak.

Ryan

Hi Lori,

I was going to say the same thing. The public are really tired of seeing the same wire designs on most websites and as soon as they see that they can't see why you are unique and go on to the next website to see if they can find something different.
The other comment is your own pictures all seem to be really dark. I don't think the lighting is good and the black background is too distracting.
Sorry to be so negative but you asked and if you could grab the publics attention on your home page so they would want to go further that would really help.

I agree with Artistry above on your own images - they need bright backgrounds - the arrangements are wonderful tho...but one has to be careful because they can actually degrade the look of a site, IMO. As everyone knows - I don't agree about the public being tired of wire images - they sell like hotcakes, just ask 800THTF. They're far from tired of them. And there's new fresh ones all the time anyway.

You have a dead category on the left - Summer Bouquets - why did they remove that? People buy spring and summer all year long.

HTH

OK, I am in the middle of revamping my website....

I am having a hard time looking at my website like a consumer...

I get many unique users to my website somewhere in the range of 200-300 a month but I am not turning them into buyers...there is a reason they are leaving...

I have a couple of ideas...The first I think the catagories need to be streamlined and the amount of arrangements need to be cut down...I think my website has way too many offerings...I also think that I should incorporate my own custome designs into the regular catagories...I have started to add pages for individual funeral homes and have different pictures on each page, this is not nearly done it is a work in progress...I am also going to change the wedding tab immensely but am going to tackle that separately...

As a customer, "I" would like to have a catagory for that covers the exact sentiment of what I was look for (Congrats, Thank you, Sorry, etc.). But graphically, having them all of the catagories on top of each other (including my website), makes it look a bit much. I personally like the catagory layout of Cathy's site and 800's site, they double column the catagories so it does not look too much....IMO.

Ditto on what everybody else is saying on your "About Us".

Lori, please do not take this the wrong way, but have you ever considered "revamping" your logo that is on your website home page? It does not represent a trendy/unique florist that I feel that you are. There is a very good article on logo "remodels" in the recent SAF mag, most florists interviewed say it cost them around $300...or less. Just a suggestion, IMO.

I agree with Artistry above on your own images - they need bright backgrounds - the arrangements are wonderful tho...but one has to be careful because they can actually degrade the look of a site, IMO. As everyone knows - I don't agree about the public being tired of wire images - they sell like hotcakes, just ask 800THTF. They're far from tired of them. And there's new fresh ones all the time anyway.

You have a dead category on the left - Summer Bouquets - why did they remove that? People buy spring and summer all year long.

HTH

I'm in the process of removing that and graduation...Not sure why it is even still there..

I am going to go over all my pictures and try to color correct them...I have the kodak easy share software that came with my camera and just really need to sit down and learn it...I also have really bad lighting in the shop and think I may be better off taking pictures with the light behind me rather than behind the screen...I may also get a white backdrop....I'm just not sure abot that one...I love shannon's photos and they all pop on the black background...I am probably doing something wrong

Lori, i like you site. The only critique (as a customer) was that i was confused by what i would have to click if i just wanted to send a gift bouquet. I too am re doing my website (well before Ryan corrects me, Jim is doing it LOL...). So, we can learn together.

What i plan to do is to have different pages headed by flower designs just to simplify it such as gift bouquets, funeral designs, posies and baskets, modern designs, wedding designs, etc etc... i plan to have 12 pages with about 6 different styles which the customer can choose a standard (hoping they wont want this one), superior, deluxe and super deluxe. I plan to use similar flowers but with different flowers so that the flower stock does not have to be too vast. What about if you just do a page that says funeral homes. I like simple but then simple things for a simple girl ah???

As a customer, "I" would like to have a catagory for that covers the exact sentiment of what I was look for (Congrats, Thank you, Sorry, etc.). But graphically, having them all of the catagories on top of each other (including my website), makes it look a bit much. I personally like the catagory layout of Cathy's site and 800's site, they double column the catagories so it does not look too much....IMO.

Ditto on what everybody else is saying on your "About Us".

Lori, please do not take this the wrong way, but have you ever considered "revamping" your logo that is on your website home page? It does not represent a trendy/unique florist that I feel that you are. There is a very good article on logo "remodels" in the recent SAF mag, most florists interviewed say it cost them around $300...or less. Just a suggestion, IMO.

I have to send them the pdf of the logo also...I just created it and decided to go with it in March and had my awning done and slowly have been incorporating it into ads and business cards, now it is time for the website...I have been neglecting it for some time and have decided it is time to get off my keister....I will attach my pic of the awning so you can see...I do not take offense to any kind of critique especially when I solicit it.....I thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to look and see what I am obviously missing or have felt it was unimportant to deal with...I am not perfect and know this and appreciate all the help that is given freely....

Attachments

• storefront.jpg
    storefront.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 37
Lori, i like you site. The only critique (as a customer) was that i was confused by what i would have to click if i just wanted to send a gift bouquet. I too am re doing my website (well before Ryan corrects me, Jim is doing it LOL...). So, we can learn together.

What i plan to do is to have different pages headed by flower designs just to simplify it such as gift bouquets, funeral designs, posies and baskets, modern designs, wedding designs, etc etc... i plan to have 12 pages with about 6 different styles which the customer can choose a standard (hoping they wont want this one), superior, deluxe and super deluxe. I plan to use similar flowers but with different flowers so that the flower stock does not have to be too vast. What about if you just do a page that says funeral homes. I like simple but then simple things for a simple girl ah???

Yes simplifying is on the task list...I am finding that in these economic times, I am unable to run to the market and get 5 or 6 bunches of flowers that I don't usually carry to have all of these bouquets, I need to cut down the selection and go with the arrangements that fit my style and regular product selection...I may have a catagory for next day delivery with some of the more custom stuff in it...I am definately going to add a designer's choice catagory...I can do subcatagories to neaten it up...

I like the idea of a next day delivery selection or at least marking those that are not available "within the hour". Because i am designing my new one now i cringe when i look at my current one. I am designing a photographing new designs every week. My poor mum is beat fixin up all my photos...

Lori - take a look at some of our own Flowerchat member websites. There is also a thread that has a list of great florist websites. take a look at those as well.

Lori,

1. Can you break down the # of listings on the left? Too many categories for me your consumer.
2.Not sure why you list your funeral homes separately on the top left. You can send any of those arrangements to any of those funeral homes. To me, that is confusing.
3. In your wedding category show some of your designs from page 3 (or two, can't remember which) on your first page. A picture of 4 chairs isn't going to sell flowers for you, nor will single stems of gerberas. You've got some lovely designs to show - show them first!
4. I saw alot of white arrangements- granted I didn't go through every page, just looked at is as a consumer would.
5. I don't think the average consumer is going to scroll through 4-5 pages of pictures in each category.

Hope this helps...Just another consumers opinion. Jenny

Never use a white back ground unless you know how to do white balance on your camera, and also I don't know if with your website if you can tell about the times of the day when folks are the heavest traffic on it, but on ours you can , it may have something to do with your hours of operation on your site, , and also make it more personal to the public, that helps alot, and I don't know if you can also put a update in the cornor when the last time, it was updated, but that helps someone, know that you are there, and doing things to the site, and in the store, it does help as well, also I read your post about the funeral things, then on that space make it yours, and make it work, and also in bold letters pu that you serve those places, not in tiny letters, and put it up to the top of about us, , I don't know if you know how long a person is on your site, and what pages they are looking at??

It will all work out, think as a customer,,

I use a white background for almost all my photos. I use a $67 dollar digital camera I got from Ebay. I don't think it has to be rocket science.
I would however, like to do what RC and 1800 does with nifty "homey" and romantic backgrounds but thats for the future. Does TF charge you to make website changes and updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.