Status
Not open for further replies.

12BucksFor2Dozon

Apr 14, 2005
the Mind's I
www.usflowerhaus.com
State / Prov
FL
Well finally after all my rantings I have created a OS Flower Cart that begins to show some of the late-night efforts I have been putting into creating the first open source Florist specific website/shopping cart. Here it is, barely out of alpha, for you FCers to pick at between all those Christmas orders you are filling...

www.usflowerhaus.com/catalog

The source will be available early January for anyone with a registered domain and a hosting company that supports mySql and PHP. This is nowhere near the full implementation, but has enough bells and whistles to perhaps start getting people interested in a FREE, OPEN solution to their floral website needs.

No FLASH yet, but that will be easy enough to add...in fact the project I branched from has a strict "no JavaScript/no Flash" mantra that perhaps I will continue, depending on what YOU, the users, want.

Reactions: 1 person
Sweeeeet! Thanks!! I can't wait to dive in!

no JavaScript/no Flash

I agree. When it comes to the most important part, you don't want to take chances by looking cool.

Can you set the default country to USA, or put it up top?

*throws an egg at the Canadians*

During thr CC part, is it actually checking the number? Half way through the cart, when you click on your banner, it takes you to the wrong URL.

Also, is this a DB you can update images, put in certain categories and set their amount on the fly?

Great work Mark!

Interesting look...did not really get a chance to go thru the site but first thing that caught my eye was the WS are ripping you off....not so sure that is the best way to promote your site...might be better if worded differently...do you think most folks understand the words wire services? I think they understand ftd or tf but ws seems to be more of a florist term...maybe focus on the dot.com something something...it is too early to be creative but you might want to give some thoughts to that one spot....anybody else have ideas?

Well thanks, FC folk...I'll address each comment here

Can you set the default country to USA, or put it up top?

Uhh...I thought the default country WAS the USA...at least it has been for me. I is *very* easy to move around, move and customize any the the boxes on the screen...in fact, after I add AJAX to it, you will probably be able to simple drag and drop "boxes" as you like...

During thr CC part, is it actually checking the number? Half way through the cart, when you click on your banner, it takes you to the wrong URL.

Yes right now its doing the mod10 check...it has several ways to do online order authorizing...authorize.net, iPayment,PayPal,PSiGate,SECPay etc etc. The banner links are a easy fix...just some stupid configuration issue.

Also, is this a DB you can update images, put in certain categories and set their amount on the fly?

Oh of course you can...what kind of cart wouldn't let you do that? :)

It looks like you have the same problem that we experienced....possibly....having a language converter take it all the way through the shopping cart.

Thxs...yea I haven't worked much on the "internationalization" effort yet...I just have to go through and do the babelfish translation for each text block. Very gruntie...maybe some project volunteer could help me with this in the future.

did not really get a chance to go thru the site but first thing that caught my eye was the WS are ripping you off....not so sure that is the best way to promote your site...might be better if worded differently.

I knew this would be controversial, but, hey, I *truly* believe the WS model is NOT in the best interest of the customer, no matter what anyone here says, so I am making a "impact" statement. That banner is totally configuable (along with every single think you see on that screen), so please, feel free to promote you primary competitors all you like.

I just have to say wow. I can't think of anything else to say but wow.
Great job.

A heartfelt thanks for this comment, Eric...I mean it when I say this alone has made my entire effort worth it.

Merry Christmas, ya'll!

Let Me Clarify

I was asking if you thought that the average consumer would understand the word "wire".....that is what I thought might be better changed...I can also see that you have done a lot of work...I am very computer/web site dumb...like a rock but I know when I read something what grabs me and if I was not a florist I am not sure if I would understand what "Wires" means....rarely does a customer come in and ask me if I can wire something..they ask if I can "FTD it"...and they do not ask if I can "Teleflora it"...funny.....so that is what made me ask.....
Sher

Stupid Question...

I really have no idea so pardon my idocity. When a customer orders flowers from your site how do you retreive the order?
Do you check the orders online? E-Mail? Another way?
:) Heather

How much does it cost you Mark do to mod10 check with the service you are using?

Can you set up a dummy account for an Admin so we can see the back-end and play around?

Also, is there a place for the customer to add the date they want it delivered? It would be nice to get a hold of the data that would allow a drop down with the dates on the days you deliver, which means the ability to take out holidays you don't work/deliver either.

Heather I would assume email or fax if you have the right software.

Sher said:
I was asking if you thought that the average consumer would understand the word "wire".......
Sher
You know Sher you are absolutely correct...I see your point now. I wrestled with what I wanted to say but was so "in the weeds" with other programming work I never got around to changing that phrase. My plan is too link piece of text/image to floristdective.com, and let the customer learn for him/herself.

BUT, on the other hand, I am glad that it was one of the first things that jumped out at you...that was a "marketing goal" of this site, to attempt to start changing the consumer perception of WS/DS flower corps.

I am loving this input, FC...thanks and I am working as I type on moving ahead with more functionality...you guys are the best!

Mod10 doesn't cost anything, just need to know the formula to check against the numbers. Can't remember ... does the script have a CVV field?

12BucksFor2Dozon said:
Well finally after all my rantings I have created a OS Flower Cart that begins to show some of the late-night efforts I have been putting into creating the first open source Florist specific website/shopping cart. Here it is, barely out of alpha, for you FCers to pick at between all those Christmas orders you are filling...

www.usflowerhaus.com/catalog

The source will be available early January for anyone with a registered domain and a hosting company that supports mySql and PHP. This is nowhere near the full implementation, but has enough bells and whistles to perhaps start getting people interested in a FREE, OPEN solution to their floral website needs.
Mark,
We have had this up and running for a couple of years now for Canadians, including taxes set for all provinces and as well as an online image library of the wire service images as well as some A1 images, and delivery charges based on destination city.

it looks great Mark. You do have a link problem with the flowerhaus logo at the top. It needs to be fixed. Sorry that is the only problem I found.

Mark -

It takes a special kind of guy to devote countless hours to a project he's passionate about - and then want to give the fruits of his efforts away in the belief they will benefit others. My hat's truly off to you.

I have a few comments about usability and page layout and will send them to you next week. Overall, it looks great. :)

Mark, you missed my questions :)

on the eve of Christmas...

I would like to indulge in a re-post of a previous statement that I think it is appropriate as we all enjoy all the benefits of living in PROSPERSOUS and (relatively) FREE countries, and as we enjoy the trappings that this provide, we should try NOT to forget about the billions in this world that do not "have" as we have. This quote is VERY relevant in this thread, and perhaps will have more "meaning" as we all enjoy a day of rest and relaxation with our loved ones tomorrow...

The diffusion of modern technologies into 2nd & 3rd World countries, a necessary step in humanity's evolution, will require the widespread availability of quality open source software in order to successfully manage constrained financial resources that are needed for manufacturing capital, infrastructure development, education, health, and other essentials. Closed source, or proprietary, software is sold and maintained at highly inflated 1st World prices that are based on an old paradigm model of domination & control that is becoming more & more incompatible with the real needs of a Global technological civilization.

With global internet communications making it very easy for large, distributed communities of technologists to collaborate on increasingly sophisticated software projects, and a massive public domain codebase accumulating that effectively standardizes many computing algorithms into quickly reuseable modules, a new paradigm is emerging that recognizes intellectual property as the common legacy of all intelligent human beings who desire to improve the living conditions of the entire race. Naturally, the Borg will be against this evolutionary development, preferring to "assimilate" lesser cultures into their own Cube under their corporate control, but their overwhelming greed and perpetual self-interest is forever on display and the internet, among other things, is great at shining the light of truth on their spin doctors and their elaborate obfuscations. Over time, the People will come to know who is genuine and who is fake, and we will finally put our money where our hearts are and transform the world. (A dear friend of mine, for example, is a doctor who just went to Pakistan to help the earthquake victims - instead of to a conference on Making Big Profits by Serving Managed Care.)

We who are so rich can help those billions who live on the edge of survival by helping knowledge & technology to flow freely, and to uplift others in the certain knowledge that the Sun shines for the benefit of all, and the rains fall for the benefit of all, and that the Earth exists to sustain all life, so that we work with the Creator when we seek to serve all life everywhere. Those of you who have given of your energy & creativity to the many fine open source projects that are underway, I salute you and wish you a return of 1000% for your selfless generosity. May the Great Mystery bless you and the path you have chosen, and may you receive all manner of help and support whenever you find yourself in need.
Merry Christmas to All, and Have a Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.