Not open for further replies.

LJVF

Sep 25, 2007
San Diego
www.lajollavillageflorist.com
State / Prov
CA
Where did our customers go?

The following won’t be popular with many florists who got into this biz to be creative, but I think it has become a reality that we can no longer ignore.

Many have experienced a decline in business in recent years. We scratch our heads and ask ourselves “where did these customers go?” Many went to the big boxes, but big boxes have been around for some time now, so where did the rest go? I believe they became lost in the internet. Convenience – the fastest way to get from point A to point B. It’s human nature to look for the fastest way to accomplish a task, and online internet shopping caters to this. Our past, present and future customers have turned to our competition that are internet savvy, this includes dOGs, OG’s, drop shippers and even some of our fellow B&M’s. The customers that have magically disappeared from our stores are now shopping on the web and we need to connect and re-connect with them to get them back. I truly believe the future success of the new generation of florists is to have a dedicated web person or persons.

SEO is important and there are people like Ryan that offer these services at an affordable price. But they can only do so much. They can give us the tools, but it’s really up to us to use them.

Study the online competition.

See what the others are doing and learn from them. If you blink your eyes for one minute you’ll fall behind. Learn what to do and what not to do and apply these. Be aware of whom you are competing with. Just like you are aware of every shop within a 10 mile radius of you, know what every online store within 20 search results of you are up to. Offer something different than them, like products, pricing, service…, just be better.

Study the behavioral patterns of your customers.

I can’t express enough how important an analytics program such as “Google Analytics”, “Get Clicky”, “Omniture”, etc… is. See how your customers found you, how long they stayed on your site, their entry and exit paths, which items are clicked on more than others, etc… Learn from it and adjust accordingly. You can learn so much from their online behavior by “spying” on them. I’ve made many adjustments that have had an immediate impact on my conversions.

Email Campaigning.

It works and it is cheap. I’ve recently ventured into this form of marketing and if done properly, it really does work. Short term sales are not the goal here, a long term connection is what we’re shooting for.

There is so much more, those are just the tip of the iceberg.

Everyday I seem to spend more and more hours on my computer, studying, learning, and monitoring the web development side of my business. There is so much to learn and so little time, and I don’t think any of us even realize the degree of impact that the collective bits of information we are able to gather will have on the success of our businesses in the future. There is no way I could do all these things if I were still following the duties of my job description of 10 years ago. So much has changed, and found in order to survive I had to evolve with these changes.

The successful traditional florist usually offer the following: great designs, great product, great marketing, great customer service and hard work.

The successful neo florist with an EDGE = the traits of a successful traditional florist + the X-Factor.

The X-Factor is a dedicated web person.

Study the online competition.

See what the others are doing and learn from them.

This is exactly why I am always yammering on about Proven Best Sellers ("Cookie Cutters"). And this is what I spend half my time doing.

They're outselling the crap out of us.

Because - they know what sells.

another post was griping about From You Flowers and the gargantuan number of orders they have - go look at their product mix.

Same with the rest of the "Big Boys". None of them are pushing "unique".

so...since I'm not a Carriage Trade Florist with a "following"...

I follow the leaders.

It would be great if we knew something they don't - but we don't.

Excellent post Darrel

Of course we do, and know the code , but some are afraid to take it and run with it, well, I'm not are you both NO you are not, and later on, I may post more, but have to run now,,,

This is exactly why I am always yammering on about Proven Best Sellers ("Cookie Cutters"). And this is what I spend half my time doing.

I agree, I think we all see certain arrangements that are ordered over and over again. In some cases it certainly has to do with the price point combined with perceived value.

e.g. "Basket of Light" TF 194-3 $49.95, I had one customer call about it and asked "Does it really have 2 dozen roses?" I explained to him they were "baby roses" spray roses with about 4 to 5 blooms on a stem.

In other cases I think it is the photograph that is the proven best seller. With the "trick photography" of showing all the flowers on one side of a supposedly all-around arrangement or using 1 1/2 stems of mini carns.

I agree - we need to look at the websites of the big boys and determine why they are so successful.

/quote]

I agree, I think we all see certain arrangements that are ordered over and over again. In some cases it certainly has to do with the price point combined with perceived value.

e.g. "Basket of Light" TF 194-3 $49.95, I had one customer call about it and asked "Does it really have 2 dozen roses?" I explained to him they were "baby roses" spray roses with about 4 to 5 blooms on a stem.

In other cases I think it is the photograph that is the proven best seller. With the "trick photography" of showing all the flowers on one side of a supposedly all-around arrangement or using 1 1/2 stems of mini carns.

I agree - we need to look at the websites of the big boys and determine why they are so successful.

Any shop can be if they want to, I am in a meeting on the phone, and it is a long one,

Darrell, thanks for posting this.

I have some minor disagreement, though.

According to SAF stat, the biggest growing segment in our industry is mass marketers (supermarkets + drug store etc). If my memory serves me correct, I think they captured close to 40% of the market, roughly the same market share of retail florists. I think the Internet sales was 10-15% (I don't remember) and the rest goes to misc outlets.

So what this means is that, at least in dollar terms, the biggest gainer has been mass marketers.

Also, even though our tenure in this industry is very limited, our wire-in sales have been the same or in slight decline. So if the Internet flower sale has been increasing, it must mean that the increase is in direct shipping of flowers.

So it appears to me that the growth area is in cheap, un-arranged flowers, whether it's in mass marketers or Internet.

Reactions: CHR and LJVF
Great post, love the x=factor!
Great way to think "inside the box".
Appreciate the excellent words and perals of wisdom.

Reactions: LJVF
Excellent points goldie.

So it appears to me that the growth area is in cheap, un-arranged flowers, whether it's in mass marketers or Internet.

I agree, these dang drop shippers have taken a huge chunk from us retailers.

But I somewhat disagree on the growth area being un-arranged flowers via internet, (big boxes are a different ball game), the "cheap" part is what they have over us.

Have you noticed on ProFlowers website that all their flowers are marketed as arranged flowers? If you visited their site for the first time would you even know the flowers were to be shipped in a box with a vase on the side? It's their marketing (marketing deception), SEO and most importantly their pricing that are drawing our customers away from us retailers, most of which is funneled through their website.

This is a perfect example of how we can learn from their mistakes and their successes.

Darrell, thanks for posting this.

I have some minor disagreement, though.

According to SAF stat, the biggest growing segment in our industry is mass marketers (supermarkets + drug store etc). If my memory serves me correct, I think they captured close to 40% of the market, roughly the same market share of retail florists. I think the Internet sales was 10-15% (I don't remember) and the rest goes to misc outlets.

So what this means is that, at least in dollar terms, the biggest gainer has been mass marketers.

Also, even though our tenure in this industry is very limited, our wire-in sales have been the same or in slight decline. So if the Internet flower sale has been increasing, it must mean that the increase is in direct shipping of flowers.

I agree that the mass marketers have taken some the pie. But its not just becuase of price it has to do with two things.

#1 The Convenience Factor.

#2 Most importantly the fact that us florist are doing a crappy job giving the customer what they are looking for.

If a customer walks into your store looking for a single rose and you don't have it. Guess what, not only did you just loose that customer forever but they will go to the one place that has plenty of flowers to buy and there is no reason once they find it to ever return.

Seriously how many florist are they going to visit before they give up and go to the supermarket.

Have you noticed on ProFlowers website that all their flowers are marketed as arranged flowers? If you visited their site for the first time would you even know the flowers were to be shipped in a box with a vase on the side? It's their marketing (marketing deception), SEO and most importantly their pricing that are drawing our customers away from us retailers, most of which is funneled through their website.

Interesting that we see the same site differently. It may have something to do with the fact that you are a florist, while I'm not (I'm just a flower shop owner + delivery guy + bucket washer).

When I look at ProFlower.com site, I actually don't see "arrangements." I just see lots of lots of flowers; lilies, tulips, roses, irises.

When I look at teleflora.com, however, I do see "arrangements."

So if the way I look at ProFlower's site is typical of the way non-florist consumers look at the site, here's what they might be thinking.

Most of them probably don't even care whether the flowers are sitting in a vase or in a box, because they aren't buying "arrangements"; they are just buying flowers.

If I knew nothing about flowers, here's what I would do at ProFlowers.com.

1. Move the cursor to 'Flowers'

2. The sub-menus popping out makes no sense to me, so I just click on 'Best Sellers.'

3. Now I see a whole bunch of flowers. I wouldn't know what they are, nor do I care.

4. I only pay attention to the items that appear to be on sale (the ones with the original price crossed out).

5. I would probably be clicking on one of those $29.99 (original $39.99) deal. I wouldn't care which one.

The whole process would take only about 30 sec.

Reactions: LJVF
Goldie - You made an interesting statement that makes no sense - I also looked at the proflowers site. If the illustrations are not flowers arranged in a container.....what are they?

I saw flowers......whether by chance or by design......grouped together.......in combinations of one or more varieties........formed into a geometric shape........resting in some sort of water holding vessel.

If those illustrations do not meet the definition of a floral arrangement.....then what are they?

We know that proflowers are not shipped 'arranged' - so if what is shown is not an arrangement.....then why doesn't proflowers show the flowers as they are shipped....in their logo'd, branded box?

Interesting that we see the same site differently. It may have something to do with the fact that you are a florist, while I'm not (I'm just a flower shop owner + delivery guy + bucket washer).

When I look at ProFlower.com site, I actually don't see "arrangements." I just see lots of lots of flowers; lilies, tulips, roses, irises.

When I look at teleflora.com, however, I do see "arrangements."

So if the way I look at ProFlower's site is typical of the way non-florist consumers look at the site, here's what they might be thinking.

Most of them probably don't even care whether the flowers are sitting in a vase or in a box, because they aren't buying "arrangements"; they are just buying flowers.

goldie, I'm more like you than you know, I am also that "owner + delivery guy + bucket washer".

But I still see arrangements, maybe not Hitomi or Rulloda, but arrangements nonetheless. But you maybe onto something as far as them just wanting to "buy flowers".

I wonder what the ratio is for purchases for gifts to purchases for DIY. I also wonder what the average recipient prefers, drop shipped flowers in a box or arranged flowers delivered from a florist?

Darrel - You and I are seeing the same thing I think. If the customer just wants flowers.......could they not show the individual varieties of blooms and let the customer indicate the quantity of each bloom? Would that not sell 'just flowers' ?

[EDIT] - You see, as I understand the definitions of floral arrangements - Nowhere does it say the arrangement has to be creative, only, pleasing to the eye.........In one of the pictures under Birthday - i saw a huge mass of white lily.....appeared to be so tightly compacted that the flowers were almost on top of each other......combined with red roses positioned slightly above the lilies.......grouped together in a vase.

Is that an arrangement? - I think it meets the definition so I'll say Yes.
Is it an attractive design - No, I don't think so.
Even though I don't find the subject presented well.......Is it stilll an arrangement? Yes.

Goldie - You made an interesting statement that makes no sense - I also looked at the proflowers site. If the illustrations are not flowers arranged in a container.....what are they?

What do you see?

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/polyhedra/compound-of-five-cubes.jpeg

Answer at the bottom of this post.

I saw flowers......whether by chance or by design......grouped together.......in combinations of one or more varieties........formed into a geometric shape........resting in some sort of water holding vessel.

If those illustrations do not meet the definition of a floral arrangement.....then what are they?

Flowers,

just like this

http://www.theflowerexpert.com/medi...ers/morepopularflowers/iris/siberian-iris.jpg

or this

http://www.harringtonhouse.ca/Rose-garden.jpg

We know that proflowers are not shipped 'arranged' - so if what is shown is not an arrangement.....then why doesn't proflowers show the flowers as they are shipped....in their logo'd, branded box?

Same reason as why ramen noodle's package has a picture of the final meal with additional ingredients (not included), not the picture of dried noodles.

Answer for the funny shape: it's a composite of five cubes. Each cube has a different color. I can see this right away, because that's how my eyes are trained. Not sure about non-trained eyes. See my point?

Those illustrations you posted are not seen on the Proflowers website. Your comment was that you did not see arrangements on the proflowers website.

So, the question remains........IF THE ITEMS PICTURED ON THE PROFLOWERS WEBSITE ARE NOT ARRANGEMENTS.....THEN WHAT ARE THEY?

Those illustrations you posted are not seen on the Proflowers website. Your comment was that you did not see arrangements on the proflowers website.

So, the question remains........IF THE ITEMS PICTURED ON THE PROFLOWERS WEBSITE ARE NOT ARRANGEMENTS.....THEN WHAT ARE THEY?

OK, I failed to make my points across... So, I will try again.

When I say I don't see "arrangements", what I mean is that my brain does not register the relative placement of these flowers in space. My eyes simply focus on each individual bloom, totally ignoring the fact that these blooms are neatly arranged.

Therefore, I don't recognize the fact that someone made efforts to place these flowers in an aesthetically pleasant way.

What are they? Just flowers, because placement information in the image is filtered out in the brain.

Brain does a funny thing. What you are "seeing" is actually a reconstructed image of the real object. So in my brain, a certain information about relative placement of each stem is removed. I don't "see" it. Does it make sense this time?

OK, I failed to make my points across... So, I will try again.

When I say I don't see "arrangements", what I mean is that my brain does not register the relative placement of these flowers in space. My eyes simply focus on each individual bloom, totally ignoring the fact that these blooms are neatly arranged.

Therefore, I don't recognize the fact that someone made efforts to place these flowers in an aesthetically pleasant way.

What are they? Just flowers, because placement information in the image is filtered out in the brain.

Brain does a funny thing. What you are "seeing" is actually a reconstructed image of the real object. So in my brain, a certain information about relative placement of each stem is removed. I don't "see" it. Does it make sense this time?

So, In your case as in most everyone else in the world......it all falls down to individual perceptions. Which is a whole other can of worms in and of itself. We all know full well how much perception affects our work.

goldie, I'm more like you than you know, I am also that "owner + delivery guy + bucket washer".

But I still see arrangements, maybe not Hitomi or Rulloda, but arrangements nonetheless. But you maybe onto something as far as them just wanting to "buy flowers".

After having spent >3 yrs in a flower shop, I must admit I've been slowly contaminated with professional florists' eyes. But I still do have a bit of non-florist's eyes of looking at flower arrangements.

When I say I don't see it as "arrangement", it basically means that my eyes skip the fact that they are placed neatly in a vase. All pictures at PF site are like that.

I don't know why they look that way, though, because teleflora pictures do look like flower arrangements to me.

Anycase, if the majority of ProFlower buyers are like me, it explains one thing, I just realized.

They probably do not get upset when they receive their flowers in a box. They would just throw the flowers into a vase; and they see absolutely no difference between their masterpiece and the original picture. .... Happy customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.