Where Did Our Customers Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldie - You made an interesting statement that makes no sense - I also looked at the proflowers site. If the illustrations are not flowers arranged in a container.....what are they?

I saw flowers......whether by chance or by design......grouped together.......in combinations of one or more varieties........formed into a geometric shape........resting in some sort of water holding vessel.

But I still see arrangements, maybe not Hitomi or Rulloda, but arrangements nonetheless. But you maybe onto something as far as them just wanting to "buy flowers".

I wonder what the ratio is for purchases for gifts to purchases for DIY. I also wonder what the average recipient prefers, drop shipped flowers in a box or arranged flowers delivered from a florist?

OK, I failed to make my points across... So, I will try again.

When I say I don't see "arrangements", what I mean is that my brain does not register the relative placement of these flowers in space. My eyes simply focus on each individual bloom, totally ignoring the fact that these blooms are neatly arranged.

Therefore, I don't recognize the fact that someone made efforts to place these flowers in an aesthetically pleasant way.

What are they? Just flowers, because placement information in the image is filtered out in the brain.

Brain does a funny thing. What you are "seeing" is actually a reconstructed image of the real object. So in my brain, a certain information about relative placement of each stem is removed. I don't "see" it. Does it make sense this time?

So, In your case as in most everyone else in the world......it all falls down to individual perceptions. Which is a whole other can of worms in and of itself. We all know full well how much perception affects our work.

When I say I don't see it as "arrangement", it basically means that my eyes skip the fact that they are placed neatly in a vase. All pictures at PF site are like that.

Anycase, if the majority of ProFlower buyers are like me, it explains one thing, I just realized.

They probably do not get upset when they receive their flowers in a box. They would just throw the flowers into a vase; and they see absolutely no difference between their masterpiece and the original picture. .... Happy customer.

If I may be so bold and simplify it - please read my signature

Happy Customer - wants flowers, silly.

If it were not for the amount of reports from various blogs, reports, and commentary talking about case after case of dis-satisfaction.....I might be inclined to agree.

That being said......nine times of of ten, the source for the commentary being brought to attention stems from one of more posting from fellow florists who are way more skilled in ferreting out stuff like that than I.

If I may be so bold and simplify it - please read my signature

Happy Customer - wants flowers, silly.

Ok JB.....Let's see if you will tackle this question.

We'll use YOUR Happy Flower-loving Customers for this question.

Do they like the flowers just strewn on a table, just laid on a sheet of tissue, or laid into a box......JUST PRETTY FLOWERS.....or do they want them placed in some sort of water holding vessel and attractively arranged in a combination that is pleasing to the eye?

Are you brave enough to tell us how YOU sell your flowers to your HAPPY CUSTOMERS?

If it were not for the amount of reports from various blogs, reports, and commentary talking about case after case of dis-satisfaction.....I might be inclined to agree.

Take a look at ProFlowers complaint.

http://www0.epinions.com/webs-Web_S..._~reviews/pp_~2/sort_~date/sort_dir_~des#list

No one seems to be complaining about "arrangement" or lack of it. Half of them complaining about money. This tells you something about who the ProFlowers customers are.

ProFlowers.com is popular. I see why.

So back to the original topic about how to develop our own websites, why not start offering boxed flowers at discount?

Reactions: bloomz
The only reason to not start offering boxed flowers at a discount is because a shop, for whatever reason they choose' just does not do it.

As long as it is presented well, in a real and truthful manner, and you can make that side of the business profitable......NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

Like I have said about Randy many times......If I ever find myself in your area.....expect a visit and an eager student named Ricky King AIFD to walk through your door ready to learn from an astute business person.

What we got was a far cry from what was actually ordered. The flowers were not even in the vase! They were in a box with the vase wrapped up next to them. There were no balloons although they were ordered and paid for. I think the worse was that the flowers were wilted and didn't even fill up the vase as they should have.

This is a very good example of what is happening to the customer of the flower industry. Yea some may come back and some will just go buy some other type of gift instead of flowers.

I would love to offer more wrapped flowers but I still feel that more people are drawn to the cheaper flowers and will by those versus buying the flowers arranged in the vase.

It dosen't hurt to have a few wraps on the website and I have a few that do get ordered many times. But its not like I'm shoveling flowers out of my shop becuase of those lower priced wrapped flowers.

I have three arrangements on our site that are roses in vase, iris, and Gerbera Daises

I have had one order for the iris arrangement last week. Only took 6 months before someone finally bought one.

Ok JB.....Let's see if you will tackle this question.

We'll use YOUR Happy Flower-loving Customers for this question.

Do they like the flowers just strewn on a table, just laid on a sheet of tissue, or laid into a box......JUST PRETTY FLOWERS.....or do they want them placed in some sort of water holding vessel and attractively arranged in a combination that is pleasing to the eye?

Are you brave enough to tell us how YOU sell your flowers to your HAPPY CUSTOMERS?

Ummm duh, wtfdik?????

I just know...

It's about the flowers, silly.

And I know, people are buying a lot more of those in a box from PF than they are from me.

Last week I heard at a good design show (Wilton - yes I still go to them) and I quote:

"Don't design to please other florists"

Interesting huh?

The one thing I did notice on the customer ratings for Pro-Flowers was that they consistently had high ratings for "ease of ordering" and "selection". That may tell us something.
They actually weren't rated that well for price, so there goes the theory that they are the "cheap" alternative. Quality wasn't that high either. A lot of it is all about the convenience.

Most floral customers are really intimidated by flowers. I think they feel much more secure looking at a website with a picture that tells them what kind of flowers they are and clearly states the price. They don't want to walk into a shop and have to start asking questions (they don't even know what questions to ask!) so they can figure out what is available and how much it will cost. I know our arrangements are priced in our cooler, but do you know how many times we have customers ask "do they come with that vase?". A lot. We as florists think some of this stuff is so obvious because we've been around it for so long, but we forget that a lot of customers know nothing about flowers-and most people don't like to ask questions they think may be perceived as "stupid".

My new mantra is "make it easy for them". I am seriously considering putting up a menu board like McDonald's with pictures and prices. Give them a dozen choices and make it big and obvious.

The florists who have online ordering with websites are making it "easy and convenient" for people to sit in their jammies (like I am now!) in front of their computers and do all the low pressure browsing they want. The challenge is making sure the customer finds the site to start with. (one of the things I'm hoping to learn more about on flowerchat!!)

Good point's everyone...some really good ones, and 1-2 not so good, "cutting cookies" comes to mind...

I know of 6 NEW *in*store customers this week. We always try to be over attentive when they come in and say "Wow, I've never been here before"...and if I have time personally, I try to converse with them for a couple minutes to see what brought them in and how long they have been in town etc...

One thing I am seeing, and hearing, and I wonder if you all are too, is that as the economy continues to decline, more folks are searching out locally owned, independent businesses to do business with. Several mentioned they would no longer be buying at the big boxes, as the evidence of the negative impact on our economy continues to emerge...

I think we'll continue to see this trend going forward. I also believe that online consumers are moving in the same direction, seeking out unique, independent offerings coupled with high end service, honesty and companies that truly care about each customer.

Do you do the bookwork, paperwork in your store JB? Surely you know the amount of loose or boxed flowers you sell compared to arrangements in yours and Twila's store?

You must be doing something in the store to earn a paycheck......if nothing else, you say your wife is an excellent designer......ask her if she makes/does more loose flowers in a box than arrangements?

Oh my heavens, I thought for sure when I came in today this would have been way over the limits with posts, as usual it is just those of us, JB< you be great> Boss< Ya got it going on> LJ, <Ya be the man> Goldie< you are more than a bucket washer in my book> RWK< You really need a shop and hope that dream comes true> Glad to see Sandf< Great that someone new is posting> Well I will check back later, then I will put my 2 cents ups, This is for all of you,,hugs:yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock:

C AM Dm7 G
Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
C Am Dm7 G G7
Where have all the flowers gone, long time a-go?
C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the flowers gone? Young girls picked them ev’ryone.
F C Dm F G7 C
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the young girls gone, long time passing?
C Am Dm7 G G7
Where have all the young girls gone, long time a-go?
C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the young girls gone? Gone to husbands ev’ryone.
F C Dm F G7 C

C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the husbands gone, long time passing?
C Am Dm7 G G7
Where have all the husbands gone, long time a-go?
C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the husbands gone? Gone to soldiers ev’ryone.
F C Dm F G7 C

C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the soldiers gone, long time passing?
C Am Dm7 G G7
Where have all the soldiers gone, long time a-go?
C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the soldiers gone? Gone to graveyards ev’ryone.
F C Dm F G7 C

C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the graveyards gone, long time passing?
C Am Dm7 G G7
Where have all the graveyards gone, long tine a-go?
C Am Dm7 G
Where hav all the graveyards gone? Covered with flowers ev’ryone.
F C Dm F G7 C

C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
C Am Dm7 G G7
Where have all the flowers gone, long time a-go?
C Am Dm7 G
Where have all the flowers gone? Young girls picked them ev’ryone.
F C Dm F G7 C

Reactions: CHR
Some great points brought up here....and some I struggle with always...

Years ago I came to the realization that design was way more important to me than anyone else....This was when I gave up on competitions, AIFD and all these such things...I did start to concentrate on listening to my customera nd trying to decipher what they really wanted from me and what ever shop I was with....I would say that the average customer cares very little what the darn thing looks like just that it gets there on time, and lasts and looks better than they could do....very simple...1 in ten customers can really appreciate any kind of design effort and 1 in 20 can go one better and give a crap about extrodinary design...I am not saying we all shouldn't know how to design and stop learning new things and give a crap what looks good and how they are designed, just that the customers put very little emphasis on it...

I also came to the realization that I cannot and do not look at anything the same as a consumer. I know way too much to be able to dumb myself down to look at it any other way....I look at a bucket of mixed flowers and see an arrangement, I look at a box of flowers and see how they will look all together in an arrangement this is the way my eyes and life is trained, like goldie says...The average consumer looks and sees flowers whether they are arrangemed or not is irrelevant, they are just seeing the flowers and pick a picture they like...how it arrives and how dissapointed they are depends on how experienced they are at buying flowers...some people will be expecting them to come in a vase, some are not expecting anything other than flowers to come in any form because they have no idea what to expect....some could care less what was sent as long as the recipient liked them, so I guess it depends on their experience and expectation of flowers on some level...

Main street shopping by young people is slowing down. So many 20-30 year olds could not be bothered with shopping, I am one of them, The most aggravating thing in life is when I cannot find the info I need on line to either buy on line or gather the info I need to make 1 stop on my way home....I do my shopping at work on the computer so I can streamline my after work errands to the quickest possible scenario...if I have to hit 3 hardware stores on my way home to get the faucet I need I am not happy....I like to checkout the sales at many stores so I know who has what I need quickly before I shop...If I spend one and a half hours a week shopping it is alot...and I hate every minute of it. I am sure that many people are like me in that they want the info, they want it sent and they don't want to think about it again...This is why info only websites are a complete and utter waste of time...

Do you do the bookwork, paperwork in your store JB?

You must be doing something in the store to earn a paycheck......
Um... I know I have a smart answer for this... um.... ah.....

Oh yea...he's not really in the store, he lives and works vicariously through web cams while riding his air conditioned motorcycle around the mountains of OregonE.....

Reactions: bloomz
Yeah, something like that, with a wireless laptop bungied to the handlebars.....

Reekie - I´m the secksretary, but I can´t spell it.

Reverse sexism this bidness.

and I do a cupla other things.

Sometimes.....

Reactions: Queen of Weddings
Status
Not open for further replies.