YOUR Favorite Artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWK

Jun 3, 2007
San Antonio
State / Prov
Texas
Being Florists and Floral Designers, We are also artists blessed with the creative eye and an understanding of the creative process.

So, I thought it would make a great discussion thread if we talked about, posted pictures, and the like of our favorite artists outside the floral industry.

One of mine is Dale Chihuly, A wonderfully talented artist who works with glass. Here is a small sampling of his creative artistry.

Attachments

• 1953_deYoung_TNR_B.jpg
    1953_deYoung_TNR_B.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2077_deYoung_TNR_M.jpg
    2077_deYoung_TNR_M.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 19
  • at44B.jpg
    at44B.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 17
  • CdBas062_77_1700_b3_XB.jpg
    CdBas062_77_1700_b3_XB.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 8
  • CdTaos_P7071_XB.jpg
    CdTaos_P7071_XB.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 8
I saw a documentary on him not too long ago. he has to be the best hot-glass artist ever! I love anything to do with making stained glass but have never had the opportunity to have a try at blown glass. "someday"

Chihuly is great. He had an exhibition hera, at Fairchild Gardens, all the glass was outdoors, mixed in with the plants and floating in the lake. They had it lighted at night - what a beautiful sight, spectacular! My daughter wanted one of his bowls, until she saw the price tag.

I love the Impressionists. The Musee d'Orsey was the place that fed that love, for a brief moment in time... but that moment will live forever in my mind.

V

Reactions: sklepikova
It's difficult to pick just one because I can get lost very quickly in works of art.

Perhaps because for many years, our Greenville County Museum of Art owned the largest collection of his work (outside of his own collection), and I took many of my classes to the displays, I love Andrew Wyeth. There is so much more to see in his paintings than one sees at first glance. Of course, that's true of any work by a true artist.

If you have more than one favorite - great - I am sure we would love to see some illustrationf or clips of some of the works they do. Another of my favorites is a local blues musican here in SC that goes by the stage name of Drink Small.

Here is a small youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adTen_hXZ4s

Reactions: SpringCity
Actually, a side story of Van Gogh is one of love, his brother's love for and tender care of him.

I like Chihuly as well. I am a big fan of "pretty" in art but also loved going to the Salvador Dali Museum in Florida and learning about him. He did mostly bizarre stuff but some pretty as well, but mainly he was just a fascinating person.

I think art when I think about people like Frank Lloyd Wright, Chanel, many other lesser known people including floral designers I admire. I see art in a lot of places and adore color and texture and seeing what people do with different materials. For me art is truly something worth living for and a saving grace. I hope that doesn't sound weird but it has certainly pulled me out of depressions at times in my life.

It's something else to see great works of art in person. You can really sense the genius (or I believe, the hand of God) in it.

Victoria, I want to go to that museum!!!!

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Thanks for the thread, Rick!

Armand Merizon is a local artist and when I was in second grade I fell in love with his art. His daughter was in my class and he came to share during art appreciating time. I always wanted one of his paintings. Now I can't afford his paintings. He is now in his 80's nearly blind and still painting. Check out his work here:

www.armandmerizondocumentary.com/About-Artist.htm

Another of my favorites is M.C. Escher

I also like Jim Dine (from Ohio) esp The Crommaelynuk Gate With Tools. I saw this at the Toledo art museum.

BTW That art museum is a true gem. If you have never visited I highly suggest it. And for those of you who love glass, they have one of the best collections in the world. They should - it was endowed by the Libby family.

Armand Merizon is a local artist and when I was in second grade I fell in love with his art. His daughter was in my class and he came to share during art appreciating time. I always wanted one of his paintings. Now I can't afford his paintings. He is now in his 80's nearly blind and still painting. Check out his work here:

www.armandmerizondocumentary.com/About-Artist.htm

Another of my favorites is M.C. Escher

Love that first blue one when you go to his page! His work made me think of Wiscsonsin then I saw he was a Michigan artist... similar landscape.
Thanks for the link!

V, the Musee d'Orsey is the best art museum I have ever been to. What an awesome experience!

From what I have heard from some glass blower friends next to our shop, who used to blow glass for chihuly and the art gallery who carries his stuff down the street, that we do weekly designs for in the summer, he doesn't blow his own art anymore and hasn't for a long time. His workers blow it, he signs it because of the mass production he puts out around the world. So before you blow your wad on chihuly, I thought I'd let you know that. lol - Either way, I agree, it is beautiful!

As for my favorites: Matisse, Marc, most fauvists or expressionists and bacon.

Matisse - http://images.google.com/images?um=...ell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=matisse&spell=1

Marc - http://images.google.com/images?um=...n-US:official&q=franz+marc&btnG=Search+Images

Bacon - http://images.google.com/images?um=...snum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=francis+bacon&spell=1

Bear Creek Corp / Harry and David picked us up a year ago as their preferred florist locally and when we send out through BBrooks. My wife and I went to the CEOs house to get a design feel for their weekly designs and there was a large Matisse on the wall. Because I have no class and am half hillbilly, I said, wow Bill, it that real? Right as I said it I was like. DOH! STFU Brandon. lol HE laughed and said yes. In my mind, I was kicking myself in the nuts over and over and knew my wife was too by the look in her eye.

100% with out a doubt Hitomi.

Yes she is a floral designer, But come on her work is amazing art. I SO wish I could think like that and had that vision.

I also like Monet, Renoir, O'Keefe.

But really I don't know anything about art, I just like what looks pretty to me.

Reactions: Carol Bice
Status
Not open for further replies.