"Bloomz is a legend on FlowerChat!" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who don our body armour and enter the fray in the Politics arena, Bloomz ALWAYS blames Bush... that's why Carol's post is so darn funny. :)

V

Reactions: 1 person
Actually no I think Cheney did this one.

You may have missed my last post, Ryan mentions length of membership weighs into the system.

o,k. so the original members will always be bumped ahead of newer members. And the newer members will always have their rep points reduced more.

So no matter how hard and good someone's posts are, the veterans will always have their tenure here valued more EACH time their is a restructuring of the rep points.

o.k. hmmm.... seems like double taxation.... the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.... this is anarchy....when will it stop????

aUNTIE EM ITS A TWISTER....

joe

time for another cup of coffee..... ;)

So no matter how hard and good someone's posts are, the veterans will always have their tenure here valued more EACH time their is a restructuring of the rep points.
Not necessarily. The schedule had to be restructured, it's the first time it has been done since the beginning, some 6 years ago. This is not like it's done often, nor for any reason other than to align the system with the growing number of members. I doubt we will ever see another "restructuring".

Anyone can catch and/or surpass anyone else, if thats of concern, it's mostly based on the *votes* one gets for posts good or bad, and thats based on how many people take the time to vote. Not anything anyone of us has any control over.

I thought we had a restructuring once before, about a year or so ago. I must be getting as old as Bloomz.... :rofl:

After reading my post again, there's definitely a grammar error in there somewhere. Where's Victoria? QUOTE]

;) Hear I yam...

I noticed it my dear, but as it was all spelled correctly I let it slide. Again with a ;) .

V
Thanks Victoria! lol

o,k. so the original members will always be bumped ahead of newer members. And the newer members will always have their rep points reduced more.

o.k. hmmm.... seems like double taxation.... the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.... this is anarchy....when will it stop????

aUNTIE EM ITS A TWISTER....

joe

time for another cup of coffee..... ;)
Double taxation? Hmm...it does seem that way. Unless as BOSS said, this is a one time shot to adjust and doesn't figure into regular formula.

Another thing I've noticed on every vbulletin message board that I know of, is that none of the admin's want to reveal their exact formula for their rep system.

I'll try again to explain the system. As LJVF said, we won't reveal the secret sauce, but here's the basic formula:

Rep Power =(Days of membership * (1/X)) + (Reputation Points * (1/Y)) + (Posts * (1/Z))

Definitions:
- Rep Points: Points are accumulated from other users who click on the reputation button. The more inciteful posts you offer, the more points you get.

- Rep Power: Determined by the formula above, rep power is the number of points you can give another user through the rep button.

As you can see from the formula, it is possible to give more weight to different factors. The power is displayed at the top of your posts as a number. Your points are represented by the green dots.

To keep the rep power on a suitable bell curve it is necessary to adjust the formula from time to time as posts and longevity increase. There have been many adjustments to the system over time, but only 2-3 major ones.

For clarity: points are never adjusted with the updates as they are cumulative, only power changes since it is based on a formula.

Ryan

Thanks for posting the explanation.

Your points are represented by the green dots.

I understand the significance of rep points and rep power, but I was never clear on what determines if a member has a whole row of green dots or just one or two. For example I have a lot less rep power and points than you, but our row of green dots are the same. But some who have similar rep power to me only have a couple of green dots. Can you explain?

Rep Power =(Days of membership * (1/X)) + (Reputation Points * (1/Y)) + (Posts * (1/Z))
Ack, I got a C- in algebra! :eek:
Time for a refresher!

I'll try again to explain the system. As LJVF said, we won't reveal the secret sauce, but here's the basic formula:

Definitions:
- Rep Points: Points are accumulated from other users who click on the reputation button. The more inciteful posts you offer, the more points you get.

- Rep Power: Determined by the formula above, rep power is the number of points you can give another user through the rep button.

As you can see from the formula, it is possible to give more weight to different factors. The power is displayed at the top of your posts as a number. Your points are represented by the green dots.

To keep the rep power on a suitable bell curve it is necessary to adjust the formula from time to time as posts and longevity increase. There have been many adjustments to the system over time, but only 2-3 major ones.

For clarity: points are never adjusted with the updates as they are cumulative, only power changes since it is based on a formula.

Ryan

Thanks for the explanation, Ryan. It seems very clear to me.
My personal take on all this is: It is interesting, but, really not important enough in the whole picture for posters to to get so up tight about.
Carol Bice

"Thanks for the explanation, Ryan. It seems very clear to me.
My personal take on all this is: It is interesting, but, really not important enough in the whole picture for posters to to get so up tight about."
Carol Bice

Well said Carol.
The reputation and kind words given and received are truly great things, and day makers at times, but definitely not important enough to cause anyone concern.
IMHO we're all here, and participating for a much greater cause, and should all be proud.

Ack, I got a C- in algebra! :eek:
Time for a refresher!

Here's an explanation the way I see it:

Formula = Rep Power =(Days of membership * (1/X)) + (Reputation Points * (1/Y)) + (Posts * (1/Z))

I don't know what Ryan set the values at, but for explanation purposes lets set them at:

X= 1000
Y= 100
Z= 200

Sample member stats:

Days of membership = 500
Reputation points = 1000
Posts = 500

1 divided by X = 1 divided by 1000 = .001
1 divided by Y = 1 divided by 100 = .01
1 divide by Z = 1 divided by 200 = .005

500 days of membership * .001 = .5
1000 reputation points * .01 = 10
500 posts * .005 = 2.5

.5 + 10 + 2.5 = 13 rep power

The key is knowing what Ryan has set the X, Y and Z values at.

Thanks for the explanation, Ryan. It seems very clear to me.
My personal take on all this is: It is interesting, but, really not important enough in the whole picture for posters to to get so up tight about.
Carol Bice

I agree, nothing to get up tight about, but it is an important number. Amongst the many values the system has, it also plays a significant role in who gets in and who is kept out.

The more inciteful posts you offer, the more points you get.

-
Ryan

Was that typo for me? I'm always trying to incite something, whilst often not being very insightful.

But occasionally as a blind pig - I find an acorn. :bouncy:

Again with the Canadian ...

Was that typo for me? I'm always trying to incite something, whilst often not being very insightful.

But occasionally as a blind pig - I find an acorn. :bouncy:

That is how they spell it in Canada.:canuck:

Status
Not open for further replies.