Blowing the whistle on FTD Retrans....

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I don't plan to blow the whistle.Why would oyu ask me that Question. I was just owndering if they had any response.t aht is all.
Luc:mad:

It's OK if you do.....

at this point in time, each wire service needs to know that we the florists,are in charge of OUR OWN SANDBOXES!!
Mike:)

I am not kidding...

I believe there is ample reason for both US Federal Trade Comission and the Competition Bureau of Canada to launch thorough investigations for MANY reasons - this just seems to be the cherry on the cake.

We all have grumbled about the unfairness to florists for far too long. Even more unfair, IMO is the fraud and deception used to mislead consumers by:

1) continuing to allow members to use false addresses or misleading text in both sites and ads to lead consumers to believe they are in locations other than their actual ones. It could be stopped if exiting rules, both internal and federal, were enforced.

2) continuing to permit florists' websites to use the term 'Delivery Fee' when consumers are actually paying 'service fees' which are NOT passed on to delivering florists. Very few sites state that the delivering florist is permitted to deduct their own delivery fee thereby decreasing the flowers provided.

3) allowing florists to claim 'we deliver nationally' when they only wire or transfer or relay nationally. Again, misleading the consumer into believing the services are different than those provided.

What the heck are they using that Quality Assurance fee for?

If they are indeed shaving money off every international order, this would be outrageous but I hazard to say that none of us would be shocked - because they have shown themselves to be less-than-trustworthy for quite some time.

I believe its time to ask for a complete investigation into these practices.

This is what our fees are supposed to be going for , like in years past when FTD used to lobby congress to keep out import flowers and prop up the local growers. Funny they (FTD) abondoned this practice and became a big promoter and seller of import flowers. They are now the biggest prostitutes of the art of skimming, instead of going after the skimbags , they have become the enemy within.

Mike , I have just finished a conversation with interflora, am flabergasted with what I have been told. I hope that Interflora sues. Are you planning on going public with this info?

I hope to expose FTD Retrans...to ALL florists,

in any fashion necessary, however, at THIS particular point, airing our dirty laundry to the public, would be counter-productive!
I feel the FIRST course of action would be for EACH and EVERY florist go back as far as possible with ANY incoming from Retrans, and send a message to FTD regarding "claiming" these skimmed funds that have been mistakenly not been included with the order(s).
Also, those of us that are prepared to wage this war, had also prepare to be dumped as FTD members, AND also be scrutinized as far as order values are concerned, SO, IF in ANY way,shape, form, or possibility, that YOU have made this same "mistake" be prepared to be under the microscope!
Current estimates of skimmed funds are around 168 MILLION DOLLARS, that belongs to FTD florist members....
Mike

Nothing to fear here , WE DON'T SKIM.

OK....MULTIPLY...

the number of incoming Retrans orders you have by 6 Fleurins ($9.24), and THAT is how much you've been shortchanged!!
Would be interesting to find out from florists, how much is owing them!! Spread the word....I'm also working on a couple of leads regarding Teleflora orders.....
Mike

Re: I hope to expose FTD Retrans...to ALL florists,

Originally posted by Mikey the Flower Guy
Also, those of us that are prepared to wage this war, had also prepare to be dumped as FTD members, AND also be scrutinized as far as order values are concerned, SO, IF in ANY way,shape, form, or possibility, that YOU have made this same "mistake" be prepared to be under the microscope!
Current estimates of skimmed funds are around 168 MILLION DOLLARS, that belongs to FTD florist members....
Mike

Mike and others - Do not be fearful of being dumped by FTD if what you say about this issue is indeed correct. Per their rules, they have no grounds for dismissal when florists and consumers are simply asking to be paid what was due. (Why anyone would continue to be affiliated with them is another question.???)

I understand your concern about the public. I also know that the lack of exposure of the public of the kinds of pervasive fraud and deception in this industry has allowed the life to be sucked out of the industry's stem (pardon the bad pun.) Most of what many of us know wouldn't survive the light of day.

If these allegations are true, then expect full investigations by both the Federal Trade Commission (unfair trade practices) and the SEC (shareholder fraud.) The figure you quote above, I believe, would wipe out all profits stated by FTD since Perry bought the company. Of course, the Green Group, the guys paying $420m for it may have a thing or two to say, too.

Added: Have you thoroughly reviewed the rule book(s) to see if they state anything about withholding moneys? If not, this is akin the the crap currently being discovered in the Mutual Fund industry.

The thing is FTD would even throw out a florist if they find out the florist is skimming off the top. If they are doing this with Retrans orders, could they possibly doing this with .com orders????
You know if this is true, my vision of FTD is diminished. If what Mikey discovers with Teleflora is true, I am buying shares i Bloosoms right away.....
Luc

Originally posted by Luc
You know if this is true, my vision of FTD is diminished.
Read this and it may be diminished even more....

http://ftdsucks.com/stories/default.asp?ArticleID=1607&CategoryID=3457

:FTDme

Added: Well, at least she took down all the pages with the fake addresses but all the rest of the sites are still up and running. Wonder if FTD will demand she refund money to all the consumers she mislead? Won't hold my breath.....

I was told it go as far back as three years or more.
Luc

Re: OK....MULTIPLY...

Originally posted by Mikey the Flower Guy
the number of incoming Retrans orders you have by 6 Fleurins ($9.24), and THAT is how much you've been shortchanged!!
Would be interesting to find out from florists, how much is owing them!! Spread the word....I'm also working on a couple of leads regarding Teleflora orders.....
Mike

Wahooo!!! FTD owes me almost Three Grand!!!

Bet's on whether I'll collect?

Doubt it Ryan, wonder if class action suit from all pissed off members would get a payment. Wonder if a expose on W-5 , fifth estate, or 60 minutes , could lift the ears of the public at large to the graft taking place in the industry. If everyone who is concerned just called interflora with all their incoming orders to give them ammo , it could be over before Bob gets a chance to pave over the problem with a load of crap.

Such an interesting topic on a frigid winter day in the Northeast.
I'm cringing at the public's reaction if this proves to be true and becomes common knowledge. Flowers by wire is not the consumer's shining star as it is.

One thing really puzzles me, though. What I'm hearing people say is that any money skimmed is ours (the florists). It seems to me that any money found to have been skimmed would belong to the customer placing the order. For example, suppose a customer in France places an order for a $60 flower arrangement to be delivered in Ohio. If Retrans or someone skims off $9, the filling florist is told to deliver a $51 arrangement. Assuming that happens (and I hope it does), the filling florist isn't out anything. The sending florist isn't out anything. The customer in France, however, received a $51 product but paid for a $60 product. If this is true, any lawsuit would end up with some sort of reimbursement program for consumers. Since it would be extremely difficult to track previous purchasers in multiple countries, it is likely that future customer would be the beneficiaries, receiving some sort of rebate or other benefit.

If true, this is a most interesting scheme, and one which was unlikely to be uncovered. It reminds me of when John Bodette, onetime EVP of FTD, was found to have been getting kickbacks from vendors of Special Services (now Marketplace) products. The current alleged scheme is much more clever and unusual.

Tom

Alas...a GREAT reason...for sobriety...

BEFORE taking this "public"!!
I would advise ALL florists reading this, to FIRST, demand all your money CURRENTLY owing you, AND following up on each and every incoming order from Retrans with a "price change" increased by $9.24, which in effect, "belongs" to the recipient, and was paid for by a "sender".
The past monies "skimmed" should indeed belong in the hands of the original senders...Tom is absolutley correct!!
I applaud this wisdom, and ANY NEW RETRANS orders MUST BE filled to COMPLETE VALUE, BEFORE, DURING and AFTER any price changes.....as should ANY florist to florist order!!
FTD has been caught, and WE AGAIN are perceived as the villans, since the "END RISK" is all ours.....
Mike

Originally posted by Luc
The thing is FTD would even throw out a florist if they find out the florist is skimming off the top.
Luc

No they don't Luc, or one of their top members, now a TF top member would be LONG gone. You may probably imagine who I am talking about, tho there is more than one.

I spent the evening "thinking" about...

what I said after Tom's post, AND, my opinion IS, that the "monies" witheld by FTD "belongs" to the filling florists, from whom these funds were skimmed!!
The "sender" sent the money, Interflora, transferred the money to FTD Retrans, Retrans "stole" the money from the fill florist, who would have added more product to the order going to the recipient, who mostly is unaware of the "value" of the gift incoming!!
Retrans is responsible for breaking this "order in confidence"...and MUST BE MADE to pay up to the filling florist!!Mike

Mikey , I am more than curious as to how you stumbled onto this? Did you receive some sort of complaint on an incoming order that made you investigate or were you approached by interflora? Other than you mentioning it , I would have never thought to go looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.