Blowing the whistle on FTD Retrans....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found

Something else on my statement... INcomings FROM me TO me... billed $.75 each...

Not sure how I missed them before, but something else to look for....

Re: I have found

Originally posted by BOSS
Something else on my statement... INcomings FROM me TO me... billed $.75 each...

What am I missing here?? incomings from your shop to your shop??:confused:

Re: Re: I have found

Originally posted by BBJ (Big Bad John)

Thats what my statement sayz....on three months in a row. 10/03 Statement INcomings stop half way down the column on page two, then on page 4 (why I missed it ??) they start again, and my code number is in the sending member column, and the $.75 is billed...but no date and no order amount.

Might just be me, but still...

Re: Re: I have found

Originally posted by BBJ (Big Bad John)

It is possible. You can send yourself an order.
That's the way I test to see if the Dove and Mercury are working properly at any shop. I make them send themselves an order where they are both the filling and sending florist.

The wire service legend...

There is a legend we oldtimers pass on to new florists who want to hear about the way things used to be.... it is a tale, reputed to be true, of how a wire service raised money.

The story goes that once there was a man who owned a wire service (and remember that there were MANY of them over the past 50 years). This guy was just your average schyster, not a really good guy nor a really bad guy, but whenever he needed to raise a few hundred thousand bucks to cover an upcoming expenditure, he would charge each one of his members for a particular order that did not exist. He had learned that very few shops in those days ever took the time to check their statements. The ones that did & filed a complaint got a credit, the ones that didn't....well....that's the legend. There are those who worked for the company who swore this legend was true.

Since this post was inspired by the subject matter that has gone before, I need to say that this legend was NOT about FTD, it was another company whose name has now been forgotten. At that time FTD was a members-owned co-operative that was filling a need we florists had to get flowers out of town as well as a need to support each others' businesses. That in itself is another legend of how the flower business used to be in the olden days.

And that of course is another story.

Poor Paul...

he seems to "think" he got into this business to make a living, or some extra money!!...what a "dilema"!
He wishes for the "olden" days, when florists were florists, and wire services provided badly needed interaction...ANOTHER "dilema"!
Then he says that some "other" guy is responsible for turning our precious and personal florist shops into order fulfillment "whoring" centres.
Forgive me, that I trespass on your "analogy"....would be really nice if we could "pray" to the "scruple gods" and have them give us back, that which we miss the most...."control" of our own destinies!
I KNOW how he feels.......oh, for th "olden days"!!
Mike

Re: Poor Paul...

Originally posted by Mikey the Flower Guy
would be really nice if we could "pray" to the "scruple gods" and have them give us back, that which we miss the most...."control" of our own destinies!
I KNOW how he feels.......oh, for th "olden days"!!
Mike

BUT... the thing is, ANYTHING worth having is worth FIGHTING FOR !

And if REALflorists really want to be in the drivers seat, standing up and being counted is the only way to regain that which was STOLEN, even if we left the doors unlocked !

If you send a test message to make sure that your system is functioning properly and you do not use the correct "address" then you will be billed for the message. But who knows, I certainly would not put it past FTD to stick in a charge like that. Just think, If they sent just one bogus order through like the one Boss is talking about, to each of their 14000 members, that's a nice tidy $10,500 a month in pure profit.
On another note, I recieved 3 separate "emergency" messages from FTD yesterday telling me to make sure my Merc was up and running, that I was missing orders. Too funny!! Especially since they told me I was on my own for un-installing the thing AND since I am the only shop in our service area that delivers on Saturday. Must be some unhappy customers out there that are not getting their flowers via FTD.com

Jim..didn't I hear you say??...

that "emergency" FTD.com orders would be "processed" for a small service fee??...SOMETHING LIKE 25 BUCKS??
Mike

Boy I must be way out of the loop....or just plain loopy. I did not understand your response to me at all Mike. Maybe you didn't understand my post.

MY point is this...Yes... FTD should pay us back if they have been "curtailing" orders...thankyou to those who discovered it.

BUT

...be fully prepared for them to capture those dollars back from us in some other way. That is how things work these days.

Those of us who tried to stop the sale of our FTD Co-Op to Perry Capital take no pleasure in seeing the mess that has resulted because the members lost control. Being right brings no comfort in this case.

And I am not blaming some jerk at another wire service who raised money by didling with his company's books. That was simply an example of how an outside company who depends on our expertise to simply exist chose to treat us. Bit the hand that fed him. And got away with it totally.

Paul,

Hear this: They will never capture a single dollar from ME to repay these funds. They can only recoup the money from people who CONTINUE to fund them. I saw the light later than some, but I got out and am better for it. I'm protected from direct damage from FTD (though no florist is protected from indirect damage).

FTD Retrans....CONTINUES...

to allegedly steal "slush fund" money from incoming orders...this time with a little twist!!
The current Canadian MINIMUM, for incoming from Retrans is 31 Fleurins...works out to $ 47.74 CDN.
They just tried to send an order through our shop for 25 Fleurins, or $ 35.13.
We COULD NOT send an order over the Retrans system for LESS than the codified minimums, without a reject, or a more money "ASK".
What's interesting is they don't seem too bright....what's the "difference" between 31 Fleurins and 25 Fleurins..??? you "guessed it"....again they continue to try and steal 6 Fleurins.
ALL of you MUST continue to spread the word about this alleged theft of funds by FTD.
Mike

Are they aware that we are aware of this practice?

V

Who would be willing to help me...

in a mailout campaign to notify EACH and EVERY FTD member about this practice??.
It would involve each of us being responsible for sending out say 20 information sheets.
If I get enough participation, I can set up a form demand letter to FTD, fax the letter to each participant, and each of you need to send to 20 FTd florists in your area...
Not all FTD florists are on this board, BUT, we CAN get all FTD florists to be aware of this devious practise!!
IF FTD was NOT aware, they WILL BE soon...(by the way, they ARE AWARE...)
Mike

NO EXTRA COST??

a dubious statement on FTD's own site....

International Retrans
Your best choice when sending orders world wide!

FTD International Retrans serves as your direct connection with the global marketplace. Through Retrans you are linked with our exclusive worldwide network of member florists who are dedicated to customer satisfaction. Choose FTD and you have chosen the best.

Why is FTD Retrans your best choice when sending orders worldwide?

Your order is always given priority handling --- all orders are important to us.
No special handling or requirements for next day delivery, except in France and Far East Counties.
Same day delivery may be requested for orders to Europe, South Africa and Latin America if they reach our office by 7:00 am CST.
Your order will be filled by one of our 54,000 member florists who meet the Interflora standards for quality and service.
You and your customer can rely on the Interflora guarantee of satisfaction.
The Intercat Flower Selection Guide allows your customer to choose from a variety of floral items popular with recipients in the destination country.
One low $12.00 ($14.00 Canadian) fee covers everything --- transmission of your order, service charges and full access to our Customer Service staff.
We will be happy to check on price and availability for special orders, confirm delivery and follow up on your order as needed --- ***at no extra cost.***

Mike

Mikey -

A couple questions and comments....

1. Does Fleurop/Interflora say this violates their agreement with FTD? If so, what are THEY doing about it? It is their customers and reputation that is most directly effected. FTD Florists can only fill what they are told to fill.

2. If this practice is in violation of the agreement, an official letter from Fleurop/Interflora copied and sent to florists would be most effective. It should outline the charges and state their intentended action(s) to remedy the situation.

3. Please be aware that this could all get very ugly very fast and the whole process will likely involve international law and LOTS of money for lawyers (perhaps hunders of thousands of dollars or more.) Unfounded accusation can leave businesses and individuals open to lawsuits for defamation. Please use the word 'alleged' when discussing this - for your own protection.

There sounds like plenty of proof that this 'clipping' practice exists - the real question is "Is it in violation of any agreement?" Only FTD and Interflora know what the actual agreement is.

The mere existance of this practice, if made public, would and should severely impact the use of Interflora for sending orders here - regardless of legalities.

Better to deal direct with a local florists than 'trust' this network. Duh. (Don't they make enough off the $12 fee and the 7%?)

Status
Not open for further replies.