BudgetDesignerFlorals Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a fairly new member of flower chat, i was not at all bothered about the fact people asked me questions before they let me in, more pleased that they showed an interest. In fact, having come over from another chat room where anyone can post, and people do it without putting their location it was quite reassuring to know that i could speak freely about business ideas without fearing my competition was listening and that home based (the non tax paying ones),could steal any ideas.

Just thought i would give insight as a new member... and afterall, if we are in business i am sure we are a little tougher than to get upset if someone asks us a question.

Reactions: 2 people
Like I said, maybe, just maybe, the members who just pop in now and again to dispense dots, will use this applicant as a jumping in more regularly to participate more actively in the whole process point... always a hope.

V
FTR, many of us participate WITHOUT asking questions of every applicant. Not all pertinent answers can be gleaned from someone's fabulous or terrible responses to the process questions. I would love it if the answers were all well though out and strung together in actual sentences, but I think it's too much to expect of all applicants.

If business name and locations are give, I dig around online, and vote according to my personal requirements. If I need something more, I ask. Sometimes it doesn't get answered, sometimes it does.

My point is only that there are participants beyond the QA process ...
And occasionally I do follow those who haven't made the cut - remember Papertini? Her blog is decent, her work is improving. Whether you like her business model or not, she's still around.

Reactions: 4 people
As one who is a frequet flyer in the new member area, I do give a great many votes to those that I can verify biz info without asking questions...The whole purpose of the question and answer thing is to find out more about how they will be as posters...

If you can't get an answer out of them generally just a lurker and useless to the rest of the community...If you get a snotty @@@@@ answer, again useless to the community...if you get real answers and nice conversation, like Palms and Shannon and some of the newer people, you know they are good at the communication thing and are most likely to add to the community and take away some useful knowledge...Chances are budget, because she already knows everything, would have caused a little trouble and then faded away because we would never be able to teach her anything anyway...She would have thought that we were foolish in our advice and not taken away anything and not learned anything...I hope she has great success designing her dead garden flowers revived with the wonder tonic we all call crown and glory...

This whole process is sometimes a bit much, I had to take a break for a bit. I do know that there are a great many who vote and don't post and that is fine...I also know there are a great number of people voted in that never ever post again, our fault maybe for just voting and not talking...Some applicants need to explain their businesses a bit more for what ever reason the question asker is asking..Sometimes it is blunt, sometimes it isn't...It has been left up to the peers to do the questioning and this is what you get peers asking questions in their own way...right or wrong, it is the human way and some are better at communication than others...May scare people away, but I think that those people would be scared away the very first WS post they put up which is usually as soon as they get registered if they are going to post at all.

My 25 cents worth....

Reactions: 3 people
If you can't get an answer out of them generally just a lurker and useless to the rest of the community......
I respectfully disagree. I was a member for almost a year before I posted. Yes, I forgot about Flowerchat for a bit, then got a reminder about a postcard promo for mother's day. That brought my attention back to the arena, and I looked around for quite a while before asking questions or volunteering much. Kind of like walking into a cocktail party full of people, one doesn't always jump in with both feet, and start talking right away.

Just because someone can't seem to find the words at the outset does not mean they never will. It's a learning process, this talking to other florists, to peers, finding your words, feeling confident enough to share and to listen, being the same person online you are in real life. Some take longer than others.

OK,
I'm curious....

So do we want hobbyists or people we "think" are hobbyists in FC?? Even if they are hobbyists that are making money at this biz??

I'm kinda torn..

Cause one one hand, I like to share what I know.. One the other hand I want to tell them to take a flying leap cause they do so many bad/wrong things.. Too many to mention.. Yes I know some home based business are good, but from MY experiences I've seen far many really bad ones.
So do we teach them for the sake of The Floral industry?? Guide them at the very least? Or to we tell them "No you don't belong here"?

I'm kinda confused.

I'm not gonna lie.. I have red dotted lots of new applicants that I just had a "feeling" about. I have great intuition and I go with my gut.
And I have seen some B&M shops in here (one in particular) and their work and I was honestly mortified by the type of work they were producing. That person doesn't post much anymore, not really sure what happened to them.. But still I was like "What?"

So I don't know, I guess I'm just confused...

Who do we want and who do we not want?

I'm not being a smarty pants either. I'm genuinely concerned about this.

Shannon,

I am torn about the exact same issue. If there were absolute rules (rather than a case by case evaluation) we would potentially miss some great contributors. On the other hand if we allow all home bodies, we are cutting off our retail nose to spite our face?!?!

Some of my favorite contributors here are freelancers (or former floral industry employees). The thought that we may not have gotten to know them and learn from their insight is pretty sad to me.

I think as long as we ask questions of the new applicants (in addition to the ones they have to answer) and go with our guts, we'll be fine. I think most basement Betty's realize pretty quickly that they are WAY out of their league here...it's like taking calculus when you're really only ready for algebra....most of them flunk out or lose interest pretty quickly and fade away. Although I am still pretty new, so what do I know!?!?!?!

I firmly believe there is a difference in a hobbyist as opposed to an educated free lancer. The direct difference is found in pictures of their work. Partytini or whatever was referenced prior and although she has improved somewhat, I found in some of her pictures that her round arrangements aren't very round....as well as the lack of depth in most of her designs. Basic principles, techniques and elements are lacking. This is the difference between those who have STUDIED design and those who are playing.
What has been shown by this certain example..budget whatever...is a complete lack of knowledge...apparent disregard of being open...and a very quick temper. Hopefully she never shows it to her clients. I am flabbergasted that she is doing weddings in Minneapolis and then on to Tempe AZ....read the blog.......
When someone requests membership here, I prefer it to be someone who is open to criticism, wanting to be the best they can be, learn and grow.
There are great freelancers out there, lots of accredidation....common sense is lacking in some we have seen. Those are the ones we do not need.

Reactions: 1 person
Okay, I have to chime in here. When I first applied for flower chat over two years ago (or more, not sure what the date was), I was a home based florist. I was a quite a bit more than a hobbyist, but I was still home based. I was following every legal aspect for my biz regarding taxes, zoning, etc and I spent every spare second I had researching design, processing, suppliers, etc. At my first intro post, I believe that I was red dotted for being a home biz but then my registration was eventually approved. From the beginning, I felt that I should "keep my mouth shut" because the majority disapproved.

I see what Joe is saying. I felt like I was treading water for the first year and this is the reason that I kept quiet. Now my biz is run from a commercial store. I still always cringe when people make generalized "home based biz/ basement betty" comments. Not everyone who starts this way should be put in this category. THIS person, that started this thread should be filed into their own category. They were rude, uneducated and shallow. HOWEVER, I've met/ heard of plenty of florists who have owned commercial properties who could be categorized into the same categories. I've heard stories of florists paying delivery drivers to steal arrangements from FUNERALS to sell as their own.

Please do not generalize anyone who started as a home based biz, there could be great talent/ knowledge there. Please DO generalize for the shameful attitude that someone can display here in a short amount of time. That truly displays character.

Reactions: 4 people
Are we really going down this path again?

The answer is quite simple, really. If you are a professional florist then you belong here. If you just simply enjoy "playing" with flowers and selling them at cost for a hobby then you don't.

This is a business forum where we discuss business issues. Home based, commercial based, or cardboard box based - that's not the issue.

I think we can all agree what "professional" means.

Reactions: 3 people
well, the sweet and short true meaning of professional is you get paid for what you do.

Lots of people get paid for doing a halfway job.

I think I will just let someone else do the voting from now on. I hate to do that but I feel I have to just for my own peace of mind..

I will worry about that silly girl and her crowing glory miracle-in-a-jug-wonder-tonic for a long time. That's how I am. I want to tell her "You made such a mistake by being hateful. And you lost out on some of the most wonderful information you could have ever gotten for free by having a crappy attitude."

But I'm a worrier. That's how I roll. I worry about everybody. even dumbasses.

Shannon, I worry about things too... but not people who own the results of their behaviours. There are bigger things out there to be concerned about. She will sink or swim on her own merits.

V

I think I will just let someone else do the voting from now on. I hate to do that but I feel I have to just for my own peace of mind..

What I fear is that as more and more of our respected members such as you and Bloomz decide to quit voting on these new applicants, who will come into our community? We asked for a system to keep this forum one for professionals, but we begin backing off of what might be viewed as our responsibility to the system and to the forum. If we are serious about the value of this forum, then we must all strive to maintain its integrity.

BTW, there are definite differences in freelancers and Basement Bettys. Not all florists who work out of their home are BBs. The differences are evidenced by education and credentials.

What I fear is that as more and more of our respected members such as you and Bloomz decide to quit voting on these new applicants, who will come into our community? We asked for a system to keep this forum one for professionals, but we begin backing off of what might be viewed as our responsibility to the system and to the forum. If we are serious about the value of this forum, then we must all strive to maintain its integrity.

Absolutely bang on Connie. We all need to accept the responsibility of membership in here. It may become fractious sometimes, but participation matters.

V

well, the sweet and short true meaning of professional is you get paid for what you do.

Lots of people get paid for doing a halfway job.

This is more along the lines of the definition I was thinking of:

Professional: applied to describe a person (or work of such a person) with the following attributes: service orientation, making expertise available to others, based on a distinctive body of knowledge and skills underpinned by abilities and values, autonomy in performing working within defined boundaries, public recognition of the authority of the person by virtue of working to ethical standards and being accountable.

That's a more medical definition but, it carries over here as well. You know as well as I do that professional doesn't just mean that you "get paid". It's so much more than that.

This is more along the lines of the definition I was thinking of:

That's a more medical definition but, it carries over here as well. You know as well as I do that professional doesn't just mean that you "get paid". It's so much more than that.
I think maybe you are thinking of professional expert .

V and Connie,
Fine, I will still vote....

But I'm not asking questions... I will go with my gut, like I always have.

And as I've said lots of times, I know full well HBB are not all bad. BTW, I know some designers who have been designing for 35 years that are as slow as molasses in January and can only produce 3 types arrangements well at best..

So I understand.

My MAIN problem is I feel torn about not letting BB or B&M wannabe florists in who really could use some guidance. I don't mean just from me, but from the FC community. So they (the BB and B&M wannabes) can become a good strong vital part of out industry as a whole. Not just contributing members of FC.

Does that make sense?

I think maybe you are thinking of professional expert .

A professional *is* an expert. From dictionary.com, the definition of professional.

following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

done by a professional; expert

Having or showing great skill; expert

One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation

The key word is "earns a living" (and carries themselves in a professional manner). Not just "get's paid".

Shannon,

As I said before, it doesn't matter WHERE you conduct your business...it's how.

A professional *is* an expert. From dictionary.com, the definition of professional.

The key word is "earns a living" (and carries themselves in a professional manner). Not just "get's paid".

Shannon,

As I said before, it doesn't matter WHERE you conduct your business...it's how.
I understand what you are saying Heather.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of people who claim to be professionals, and earns a living at doing jobs (not just in the floral industry) And they just suck at what they do. For a plethora of reasons, they don't have the skills, they drop the ball, they cannot keep their promises, They produce substandard work, etc.. and the worst part is they stay in business for whatever reason. It blows my mind.

I understand what you are saying Heather.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of people who claim to be professionals, and earns a living at doing jobs (not just in the floral industry) And they just suck at what they do. For a plethora of reasons, they don't have the skills, they drop the ball, they cannot keep their promises, They produce substandard work, etc.. and the worst part is they stay in business for whatever reason. It blows my mind.

I gotcha, we're saying the same thing. I wasn't understanding what you were trying to say. You're definitely spot on with this statement and it's those type people who don't deserve membership here - much like the young "lady" who requested membership in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.