BudgetDesignerFlorals Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me ask this once again....

Should we, the members of the FC, let those unprofessional BB & wannabe's into FC, so that they can become (hopefully) more professional therefore making our industry as a whole stronger?

OR

Do we keep those "types" out and keep our knowledge to ourselves, and wait for them to fall on their faces?

And

if in doing the latter, are we cutting off our industry nose to spite our industry face?

This is my concern..
I'm really torn about this.

Shannon,

The answer really is go by your gut. There are many people I have voted in opening a real flower shop without any floral knowledge just hoping they have some business knowledge that they can share...I have also voted on some home based very inexperienced designers because they seemed to have the oomph for knowledge and seemed knowledgable enough that we are not here to teach anyone what they are not willing to go out and learn for themselves..I have learned that the people who suck will fade away because no one will give them the time of day after we realize they suck and if they suck bad enough the moderators just ban them because they screw up the chi of the board... Hope this helps with your quandry...

So let me ask this once again....

Should we, the members of the FC, let those unprofessional BB & wannabe's into FC, so that they can become (hopefully) more professional therefore making our industry as a whole stronger?

OR

Do we keep those "types" out and keep our knowledge to ourselves, and wait for them to fall on their faces?

And

if in doing the latter, are we cutting off our industry nose to spite our industry face?

This is my concern..
I'm really torn about this.

Shannon,

We've discussed this topic ad nauseum here. I used the search functions and came up with some reading material.

http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17652&highlight=basement+betty
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11352&highlight=basement+betty
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17000&highlight=basement+betty
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16670&highlight=basement+betty
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11355&highlight=basement+betty (this one touches on the questions that you just asked)
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11198&highlight=basement+betty

Do you really want to sort through 500 unread posts a day that say something along the lines of "I'm doing a wedding for my cousin this weekend. How do I process the flowers" or "can I put flowers in the freezer?"

I know I don't and that's how I decide if I'm going to give a red vote or a green vote.

Reactions: 2 people
As Heather said, we have been through this a multitude of times. Personally, I like the system the way it is now. It requires some diligence and involvement by members of the community. Hopefully more will choose to be more active in the process and not leave it to a few.

I haven't always agreed with the outcome of a vote, but hey, that's democracy. Let's move on from giving any more time to the ridiculous person who instigated this thread. She will succeed or fail by her own actions. I certainly don't worry about it.

V

Do you really want to sort through 500 unread posts a day that say something along the lines of "I'm doing a wedding for my cousin this weekend. How do I process the flowers" or "can I put flowers in the freezer?"
Wow.... 83 posts in this thread... I think thats a record for a new member post...:boggles:

Regarding the above quote... thoughts on an area of FlowerChat that would be open to consumers to ask floral questions of the brain trust here? (of course responses would have to be professional, and non-toxic)

Wow.... 83 posts in this thread... I think thats a record for a new member post...:boggles:

Regarding the above quote... thoughts on an area of FlowerChat that would be open to consumers to ask floral questions of the brain trust here? (of course responses would have to be professional, and non-toxic)

Mark, I like that idea, however, don't we sort of all ready have that with the blog section?

Boss,
I personally like that idea....

Like a "ask the experts" section of the newspaper..

Yea Joe, I guess we do...sort of....

But I wonder if it would be a benefit to have a general area where it's not attached to any one member or shop to deal with...

That said, I do think the responses would *have* to be very professional.

Yea Joe, I guess we do...sort of....

But I wonder if it would be a benefit to have a general area where it's not attached to any one member or shop to deal with...

That said, I do think the responses would *have* to be very professional.

Who will be the police on the responses???

Not that I think anyone would respond badly, but you never can tell what can happen when someone disagrees with an answer given and then forgets we are in an open forum with the public.

If the applicants would answer the questions correctly in the first place there would be no need for FC's to ask them to give the info.

Is there some way that the info page could be

1. Question
2. Question
3. Question
and so on, and they would actually have to answer that question on the same page, with out the answer the page would not post.

I just don't understand why some people can't follow instructions, it would be so simple if that happened.

The info page is not that hard, are people not paying attention when they post their info? It is only a small percentage that do not give the information that has been asked for, but annoying just the same.

I don't see how asking someone applying for membership to give more information or to answer the questions is rude. Yeah it frustrates all of us, the ones who regularly review and welcome new members. Not getting any response from them is also frustrating. I don't think any FCer has been rude or nasty with their post asking for more info.

Follow the instructions, was one of the first things we all learned when we started school, so how hard is it?

The person in the thread asking for membership in MHO was a knowitall and a snob.
We have all seen it, some young person who you just hired or has opened a shop down the street thinks they have all the answers and there is nothing that you can show or teach them because they already know it all.

In this industry if you think there is nothing new to learn, you better hang it up and go ahead and get out because you won't make it.

I learn something new everyday whether it is in my shop, from fellow FC's, customers or someone I just met.

Also, I don't give my trade secrets to customers and DYIers or BB's, why should I?

I vote on members that I think will contribute to the board, not just lurke and take.

If we want to share information with the public, can't we individually do that with our businesses, via newsletters, classes etc? It is a nice way of marketing too; of being that "info source" for your customers.

You know, I was thinking along these same lines since this intro and the thread about that papertini person. It gets really tiring to see these people create a website and/or blog about stuff they have no idea what they are talking about, (crowing glory will NOT revive wilted flowers...are they blind?).

However, I was thinking about a completely separate website. A central public website where

1. there would be a list of PROFESSIONAL florists....if you are looking for a florist in Fort Lauderdale Florida here is a list of florists and a link to their website....a "findaflorist" but professional florist to professional florist. Whoever creates this site would have a board or panel of overseers who would invite certain florists into the fold and/or you can submit a request to the panel. As an invitee, you would submit photos of your work. This weeds out the wannabes. Yes this can be very complicated but I'm an idea person but not a detail followthrougher (that's what my business partner is for!). Also, that florist will receive all of the order. Not a split...not a fee. You reap the benefits of being on the listing because your work is good and professional.

2. These professional florists can answer BASIC questions (of course with a disclaimer that it is their opinions...wouldn't want to get anybody sued).

3. There could be a monthly "online newsletter" where the florists in the group would submit articles such as why roses are more expensive at Vday. Why wedding work is so important (hello, your food won't be in your photos for the next 50 years, your flowers are). People can subscribe to the newsletters which will keep the floral industry in their top of mind awareness.

4. Companies like Oasis, John Henry, would sponsor the website allowing their logos and information to be out there which will pay whoever wants the time consuming task to take care of all this!

Pretty daunting task....don't ya think? Just a thought...I certainly wouldn't want to take care of all that! :hammer:

I've always, always thought that a wonderful idea and I think once upon a time I even suggested it when we were getting bad publicity from a blogger who couldn't join the forum because he wasn't a florist.

Anyway, I think it would be wonderful.

Boss,

I love that idea!!!! If we did it, would there be a way to link our individual websites to that section of the forum so we could have an "ask the experts" section on our own sites if we wanted to (which I know not everyone will want to do!!!).

Great idea sir!!!!!

And I agree with V, this PITA has taken up enough of our precious time!!!

You know, I was thinking along these same lines since this intro and the thread about that papertini person. It gets really tiring to see these people create a website and/or blog about stuff they have no idea what they are talking about, (crowing glory will NOT revive wilted flowers...are they blind?).

However, I was thinking about a completely separate website. A central public website where ...
Pretty daunting task....don't ya think? Just a thought...I certainly wouldn't want to take care of all that! :hammer:

I think that's called UBloom :)

I've always, always thought that a wonderful idea and I think once upon a time I even suggested it when we were getting bad publicity from a blogger who couldn't join the forum because he wasn't a florist.

Anyway, I think it would be wonderful.

The ideas been around for a while, but hasn't usually met with a favourable response.

I'm still open to the idea! We could even style the pulic section a little differently to make it visually distinct.

Boss,

I love that idea!!!! If we did it, would there be a way to link our individual websites to that section of the forum so we could have an "ask the experts" section on our own sites if we wanted to (which I know not everyone will want to do!!!).

Great idea sir!!!!!

And I agree with V, this PITA has taken up enough of our precious time!!!

Absolutely, you could link to the forums from your site also have your site linked from the signature of your public posts.

Ryan

PS - Re Joe's earlier question about the blogs: They are a controlled conversation medium. The blogger sets the topic and people post comments. In a public forum, the customers would be able to ask questions and set the topic.

Ryan I love this idea.. If it matters...

we ALL would look like rock stars to the public, and maybe just maybe it would get people jazzed about flowers, and get them into our stores..

The ideas been around for a while, but hasn't usually met with a favourable response.

I'm still open to the idea! We could even style the pulic section a little differently to make it visually distinct.

I wasn't suggesting I was the one who came up with the idea, just saying I supported it. Hope it didn't sound that way.

Anyway, if done right, it could be a wonderful connection between the florist and the consumer.

Well, I think a portion of the forum that would be available for basic info is a great idea, however... my first hesitation comes because we all have such varying opinions and if we were to respond to a topic with four different approaches (while to us seems like the norm) it could be intimidating for someone less experienced.

At the same time I think it would be a great opportunity to really try and set the facts straight with the myths about flowers and to help educate the consumer. I am a huge supporter of consumer education because it helps raise the value of what we do when they realize it is not a "walk in the park" career.

What kind of topics would be considered safe for the public forum and which ones would be considered "industry" only?

Well,

How much we pay for stuff is definitely industry only...

How to tie a bow, public.

Status
Not open for further replies.