Announcement Change Is Here!

I read that this includes Retail businesses and freelancers, what about designers currently employed by a shop and paying their own way?

As I have previously read in this thread, again with "The people that matter have already left" rhetoric. I agree with Paula on that and I'm happy this is no longer a sandbox, it caused so much strife. I may have to juggle my pennies as well since I would be paying this on my own, but there have been many times that I have wondered how they can afford the large cost of just the bandwidth of this place, and they host all the pictures as well. Since so many florists are cutting it close these days, I'm sure many will have a hard time with this and there will be losses.

I read that this includes Retail businesses and freelancers, what about designers currently employed by a shop and paying their own way?

Retail, home-based businesses, freelance, employees, students - trying to be as definitively broad as possible :) We're tight to the industry, but loose as to roles within the industry.

I also feel that the price point is high enough to make hobbyists think twice, but low enough that it's not a deal breaker for most people.

I personally think the decison to now make this a paid forum is off base.

This board has already chased away many of the early posters of the online florist community. With their leaving a large amount of knowledge and business acumen has vanished.

Now you add to that, the idea of paying to communicate with others within the industry and well................

But as what once was the famous phrase of one of those that has left............opinions vary!

Agreed. Now is not the best time to ask me for $100-200 for annual dues. I too am still in the 'cutting costs' mode, and - sorry to say - cannot justify the expense.
However, I will give it some thought. I have my own opinions on this, and for now will keep them to myself. But, one thing - online communities such as this are indeed a rarity. It would be a shame to limit it to those who pay for it.

Anyway, more later. Have to go and market my biz a bit.

- Herb

PS - opinions DO vary, don't they!

Interestingly, I've been sitting here for the past few weeks with my SAF renewal form, trying to justify what the $342 (yes, Minnesota must have higher dues than Michigan) will actually add to my bottom line this year. It's a worthwhile organization but with limited resources, I have to decide what will have a positive impact on my business right now.

I did that exact thing a year ago

I'm relatively new here, and going on faith, rather than experience with the group. But I've learned in the past to educate myself with facts and analysis, then with that information in my head, to make decisions from my heart. My heart tells me to move forward with FlowerChat. I, too, have tired of the time wasted reading posts of whining, complaining, accusing and defending. I agree that a paid membership will more likely weed out those who are not serious about making the tough choices that will grow their business and improve the industry for all. Count me in.
[/QUOTE]

And this, too, describes what my feelings have been sometimes, although I have gleaned much information not only about the industry, but also about people. My, what a diverse world we have in one industry.

To paraphrase another post, who just go hers posted before I could finish my thoughts, a subscription is a subscription. That is how I look at this forum.

With one HUGE difference. I can't call the magazines and ask what variety rose was that......I can't e-mail them and say "Quick! How do you wrap a bout." and have several people leap to my assistance....and I can't have a continuing lively conversation with such a huge amount of people who have a different take on the same issue, possibly causing me to have an "aha" moment.

Thank you all, I hope everybody stays, I would miss you terribly, even the ones who p**s me off, 'cause you still help me see more.

I, too, have tired of the time wasted reading posts of whining, complaining, accusing and defending. I agree that a paid membership will more likely weed out those who are not serious about making the tough choices that will grow their business and improve the industry for all. Count me in.

What makes you all sure this will end with a paid subscription. It is some who are for the $$$ that contribute to the aforementioned problem.

What makes you all sure this will end with a paid subscription. It is some who are for the $$$ that contribute to the aforementioned problem.

I find it interesting that some are complaining that the differing opinions have left, and others complain that there is too much disagreement. :)

Reactions: Victoria and BOSS
I look forward to the new FC! I have learned so much over the years and will be happy to invest a little of my money to be a member.

I agree with Adam. I have learned so much from this board. This board has made me lots of money and positioned my business to be successful. I have trust that the admins will make it even better. Look forward to reading contributions from Tim, Jennifer and Phil. Have heard Tim speak before and learned so much. I think the board has become to cluttered and less people will be easier to follow. I have a Strider web site and do not need or expect a discount. I realize some very good people may or have dropped out like Heather and Bloomz however I think change is needed.

I just though of something else interesting that could be somewhat relevant...

Anyone attend rock / other types of concerts? Perhaps Cirque du Soleil? Well, I have, and it was not $100 for a year, it was $100 for 2 hours, and aside from a good night out, I didn't take much from there.

This same argument goes for SAF and some of the other organizations that we should ALL belong to that have meaning for our industry and our businesses.

I think we all have to think about "value" a little differently sometimes. Anyway, JMO.

Reactions: CHR and Victoria
Ahh Duane Don't Use The Cirque as an example. I have a life time of music from those shows!!

Anyways

Everyday Flowers has voted with its pockets today. $100.00 for the year?

What a freakin sweet deal.

Question:

If someone chooses not to join the new FC, and pay the annual fee, what happens to all the posts that person has made over their previous membership time? Are they deleted? Are they accessible for future reference?

There has been, over the last 4 years that I have been on here, a great exchange of ideas, and information given willingly. Who now will become the owner of this information, if this forum is no longer free?

This isthe intellectual property......of the poster(s) that created it.

Cheryl

ryan,
can you tell me how specifically the money charged will be used? and will $100 memberships be able to read posts by $500 memberships et al?

And while that question is out there, maybe you could tell me about guest browsing. Quite often, in the thread information, I see how many are browsing, the count on members, and the count on guests. Are guests actually able to read all of these posts? I thought not, but now I wonder.

Thanks,
Linda

And while that question is out there, maybe you could tell me about guest browsing. Quite often, in the thread information, I see how many are browsing, the count on members, and the count on guests. Are guests actually able to read all of these posts? I thought not, but now I wonder.

Thanks,
Linda

Aren't threads in the news and announcements section open to the public? :dunno: I think that's why guests are able to read this thread.

Also, since the fee is non-refundable if cancellation occurs due to" ToS violations" , can you please post the ToS, or a link to where they're located?

It would be wise to have them prominently placed somewhere within the subscription area.

thanks.

While I fully understand the need to charge AND I think it's a good idea to galvanize the troops a bit, I as a retired person will be bowing out. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on FC, learned tons that helped my business and am ever so grateful for the support and friendships I have gained here. Please my friends, if you ever find yourself in Hollywood FL, look me up- I've turned my creative bent in retirement to cooking and I can promise a great meal and a place to rest your head! Best wishes to all of you for much success in the future!
Lorrie

Reactions: elmo and Connie