Announcement Change Is Here!

I think you understand what I wanted to convey in my message. The value of this board was in the mixture of people whose business ideas vary. If all you have left is those of the same opinion, well............
What on earth makes you think the members of this board have ever 'had the same opinion'? Even at the Admin level, we disagree with one another - even on WS issues. :>

Well, Even though I am not now nor have I ever been a flowershop owner, I can attest that FlowerChat has paid for itself many times over in tips, tricks, friends, comaradierie, and expanding my florist world. So many things have contributed to making me a better designer/employee, that alone warrants maintaining the paid subscription to FlowerChat. As far as posters who have left, Not alll of them but some of them remind of a phrase I have heard many times " They's jest grumpy ole men set in de'ole ways and when dey's set, dey set"

Spoken by one who has lived the life of a flower shop owner and has faced the economic challeges head on. Why is it so much easier to drive when you are not behind the wheel?

I guess it's time for me to say Goodbye then. Not that I dissagree with your decision. I closed my shop last fall so I don't "need" this forum as a valuable tool any longer. And it surely was a VALUABLE TOOL. I came here for advice, problems and moral support. Most of the posters here are a wealth of advice. When I closed my shop I found myself coming here less often, but I would stop by to check in on what was going and perhaps at times offer some advice of my own. Also I checked in to see how everyone was doing, chat or even joke around.
But I DO see the need for this move, it can't be all fun and games. I will miss my friends here and I wish you all well !

Take Care all !

Jennifer

Reactions: mrflowermarket
Well we still have to Jan 31st right? I'm not completely sure either way is the way to go. I'm gonna sleep on it for a few days and talk amongst the shop about it and will have a decision made before the end of the month. Welcome and happy posting to all those who stay and sorry to see the ones who have to go.

Understood, and many of them are my personal friends that I still talk to on a regular basis. sfox, what if this change brings them back and others too that thought FC was "just a toy"? What then?

Mark, during the time they have been gone you have still talked to them, but what above all of their insight that has not been passed on to the others.

If you believe it's already redundant then your choice is made.

V

I look at it a different way, many thin skinned people have taken their toys and left the sand box.

Mark, this comment seems to be not what I would have expected from you. It makes me very sad...maybe my skin is thin..........

V (who is frankly glad to not be a "gatekeeper" anymore ;)

Gatekeeper?????........whoa.........that is a huge word.
You should feel better, it is a big load off of you.
I am glad you are glad.
Happy New Year to all of you, Guys, I wish you Happiness, Freedom, Wealth, and a lot of money.
After all it's all about money.......right??????
Like someone at FC said wisely...........no silly..it's about the FLOWERS.
I am kind of sad and I will miss some of you and my little Jester.......Bye........... :jester

Reactions: 1 person
I am going to sleep on it like i do with all financial decisions - well unless its shoes or bags of course :)

I have to say as someone who supports the main business of strider, I did think that a discount for this service would be a great gesture and am a little disappointed that it isn't so. But, hey ho - worse things happen at sea.

Flowerchat has been an enormous help to me and when discussions come up about who has left and how this makes it a redundant board, it makes me feel a little redundant myself. I still post here regularly, i never hurt anyone and always try to help when i can so for comments to be made whoever they are directed at, personally makes me feel a little bit Sh$t!! So, thanks for that. Some people never enter into a design thread but are willing to ws bash to death, that doesnt help anyone, so great minds or not - not everyone gains. I have learnt more about the micro effects such as marketing locally or logistics of design than anything else.

On another note, i am pleased for the move in that (most) of the lurkers who do not contribute will almost certainly NOT pay for it cannot gain from ear wigging any more. And, as one of the more vocal people in the bb and lurker argument I have to say excellent! I know a few people who have the same accent as me will be gone and for the better!

Once again,it boils down to personal needs.What to do??!! Great tool,great advice hard to give that up.I think we kinda knew this was coming,time is money at some point. I'm staying for the ride,I think it's pretty reasonable price to pay for my drug fix. Congratulations on the growth here!
I know it will continue and ALL those opinions will still be here and become even more stronger!!

I see this as a worth investment based on all of the information that I have already received for free. Great networking, great advice and great venting platform. At least I know I will actually use this paid membership unlike my gym membership. :)

Nicole

Paula - those are excellent points you brought to the discussion in regards to the Strider/Flowerchat relationship - thank you.

Ryan - If a member does not renew in January, are the dues pro-rated?

Timing for this in January - is poor, IMHO. There are a gazillion expenses that renew in January... I realize $100 doesn't translate to much, but as someone who gave up her daily $1.35 coffee, started wearing sweaters 3-5 times before washing, still needs new shoes, and more cost-saving measures, all expenses are scrutinized closely. Changes are in order for us, too.

As a result, I am undecided ATM.

Paula - those are excellent points you brought to the discussion in regards to the Strider/Flowerchat relationship - thank you.

Ryan - If a member does not renew in January, are the dues pro-rated?

Timing for this in January - is poor, IMHO. There are a gazillion expenses that renew in January... I realize $100 doesn't translate to much, but as someone who gave up her daily $1.35 coffee, started wearing sweaters 3-5 times before washing, still needs new shoes, and more cost-saving measures, all expenses are scrutinized closely. Changes are in order for us, too.

As a result, I am undecided ATM.

Tracy,

I have walked in those shoes, and I honestly couldn't think of a "good" time. Fall is bad because we're buying for Christmas, Jan-Feb it's V-day prep, March-May it's Mother's Day buying and those big WS statements, then in the summer sales are slow ...

What I do know is that we're aiming to start delivering even more value in time for V-Day, Easter, Mother's Day and further equip florists to take advantage of the summer lull.

The subscriptions are annual or monthly from the day they are purchased, so there is no pro-rating required (great question, BTW!). You can sign up now or in July - whatever is best for you :)

Regarding the Strider / FC issue: I strongly believe we're delivering excellent value in both products independent of each other. They are separate entities requiring separate development and maintenance time, and both are delivering separate rewards to the end user. I really can't justify offering a lower price on either. Please know that this was a considered decision, and like most things with FC and F20 not something we entered into without some thought.

My main reason for joining was to acquire knowledge in all aspects of the floral industry and I feel I have done that and that it is worth the cost to continue to do so. It looks like you will be having some experts onboard that will continue to impart knowledge in SEO, design, etc regardless of how many members decide to leave. I hope that most don't leave but I know money is really tight for everyone and I will definitely miss the contributions of the people that decide to leave.
I tried for years to get on page one in most searches for florists in Victoria .My original webhosts were not much help even though they charged me for it and over the years I have had countless calls from SEO companies saying they could not find me and offering to help improve my ratings for exorbitant amounts of money.Fortunately now those calls have stopped and the reason is that I am finally on page one in most searches. I did this not by paying anyone but by taking the knowledge I gained in this forum and putting it into action myself.I did pay my webhosts for some changes to my website but most things I did myself for no cost except my time.I would never have known what to do if it weren't for this forum.I also love to see the designs of all the florists and listening to what others have to predict about upcoming business. The thread on Valentine's Day being on a Sunday helps me make buying decisions based on a consensus of professionals rather than just my own instincts.
I knew it was inevitable that there would be a cost as soon as I saw that changes were coming but I am trusting that the cost will be justified with continued knowledge and to me its worth it in the same way its worth it to pay for yearly suscriptions to floral design magazines to keep current and up to date in all aspects of this business.
Dianne

Mark, this comment seems to be not what I would have expected from you. It makes me very sad...maybe my skin is thin..........
Sorry Connie. I should have perhaps confined that comment to the couple handfuls of people sfox and I were eluding to. I in no way meant to offend anyone.

Reactions: Connie
Tracy,

I have walked in those shoes, and I honestly couldn't think of a "good" time. Fall is bad because we're buying for Christmas, Jan-Feb it's V-day prep, March-May it's Mother's Day buying and those big WS statements, then in the summer sales are slow ...

What I do know is that we're aiming to start delivering even more value in time for V-Day, Easter, Mother's Day and further equip florists to take advantage of the summer lull.

The subscriptions are annual or monthly from the day they are purchased, so there is no pro-rating required (great question, BTW!). You can sign up now or in July - whatever is best for you :)

Regarding the Strider / FC issue: I strongly believe we're delivering excellent value in both products independent of each other. They are separate entities requiring separate development and maintenance time, and both are delivering separate rewards to the end user. I really can't justify offering a lower price on either. Please know that this was a considered decision, and like most things with FC and F20 not something we entered into without some thought.

Tracy and Palms, I so understand that it would be nice if they were connected and there were discounts given.

I understand wearing things several times before washing and watching every penny, and the phone not ringing. (Thank you Jesus for a great week before Chrismas!)

There is never a good time to ask for money... There is always something else going on and everything always comes due at once.

Ryan and all the powers that be..

I have learned a tremendous amount to help me with my business in the past year +. Cathy (CHR), WOW, I want to be like you when I grow up. One classy lady!!

I understand how FC and Strider are two different entities. I am so happy with my Strider site and the fact that I can make it my own! I get more compliments from people viewing it, because it doesn't look like every other florist FTD or TF site in the area.

Did you say we could make payments... that would be glorious.

Well that is my two cents. I am fond of everyone here, even those I don't agree with, but I still learn something from!

Did you say we could make payments... that would be glorious.

Well that is my two cents. I am fond of everyone here, even those I don't agree with, but I still learn something from!

Ya, I want to be like CHR when I grow up, too :)

There are monthly and annual options on the subscription page, so you can try it out for little bit and switch to the cheaper annual rate when/if it suits you.

Let's see... SAF dues @ $26.00/month = $312.00/year... for?

FlowerChat has the potential to, and will become more of a voice *for florists* than anyone else.

Interestingly, I've been sitting here for the past few weeks with my SAF renewal form, trying to justify what the $342 (yes, Minnesota must have higher dues than Michigan) will actually add to my bottom line this year. It's a worthwhile organization but with limited resources, I have to decide what will have a positive impact on my business right now.

I made a similar choice six months ago, when faced with the decision to join a networking organization to get better exposure for our shop. I had a choice of spending $300 on a Chamber membership or $430 on a BNI membership. I chose BNI, which has directly added to my bottom line and made me think, each week, about my goals, target market, branding/image and message. I made back my dues in added net profits directly attributable to my membership in the first two months, and watch the added referrals build. It was a good choice.

I'm relatively new here, and going on faith, rather than experience with the group. But I've learned in the past to educate myself with facts and analysis, then with that information in my head, to make decisions from my heart. My heart tells me to move forward with FlowerChat. I, too, have tired of the time wasted reading posts of whining, complaining, accusing and defending. I agree that a paid membership will more likely weed out those who are not serious about making the tough choices that will grow their business and improve the industry for all. Count me in.

Wow, this is a big step, and I feel a good one. Congratulations.
I don’t own the shop here, I’m the manager, I’ll have to bring this up to the owner and I hope he’ll spring for the fee, if not, I will. I feel that he will because we’ve discussed many posts and he sees the value in this community. I have to thank Bill Schodowski of Transflora/DVFG for bringing you all to our attention through his newsletter, it was the best tip we’ve gotten in a long time.

Reactions: BOSS
Ok here we are debating again. I like it when we are talking among each other.
We all have different views about this board. Some good some bad.
It was discussed that we have different payment option and different membership options from doing month to month to a yearly membership. That alone is positive. This may help people who are un-decided to stay around and see what happens.

Let me address payment. Who said we have to pay for membership. Why can't we find sponsors for our membership. Nicole, Would Teleflora pay for my membership since it could be valuable to me as a member of Telelfora and valuable that I can be still voice my opinion. DO you think FTD would do the same to others?

I guess any decision we have to make for our own being is a good one. Do not base your deicison on what others will or will not do.

Maybe down the road Ryan will look at giving us credit for new people coming on board as a credit toward membership.

Now since Ryan will be making money, everyone is welcome at our bi-annual trade show dinnner which the tab will be picked up by Ryan. THanks Big Guy!

Luc

Reactions: KABERS